• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

Didn't they say "The harder you push the further he throws" during the Bomberman stream or something?

Laura Kate Dale said she thinks they're digital on the JoyCons but analog on the Pro Controller. Fuck me.

C'mon Nintendo don't make me buy a goddamn $70 controller to play Gamecube Virtual Console games.

Don't believe that for a second, nintendo won't give the pro controller any fucntionality that a pair of joycons doesn't have

Kurdel

Banned
That is the JoyCon Charging Grip. It's $30, and not included in the box with the system.

We don't need to wait for anything. There are two JoyCon Grips. One is included and called the JoyCon Grip. The other is sold separately and called the JoyCon Charging Grip. There are detailed pictures of both of them in this very thread a couple pages ago. One of them has a USB charger on it, one of them doesn't.

It is though

edit: loo just saw there are 2 models, Nintendo cheaping out on usb ports is amazing.

Spy

It is though

3180653-2017011220554998.jpg
That's the comfort grip, not the charging grip.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It is though

3180653-2017011220554998.jpg

There are two forms of the Grip. A simple comfort plastic shell one (packed in) and a charging one, sold separately.

There was a thread about it but ModBot does what ModBot wants.

WadeitOut

I'm so confused as to why people are saying the charging grip isn't included. The charging grip has the exact same led indicators as the one that comes with the console and has the same charge cable connection on top. All of the non charge grips have neither of these.

*Edit* Nevermind I saw edits that explain it.

NimbusD

Not true.

20 hours with 3.5h charge time.

Blows my mind that they didn't implement quick charge to this. Is it that expensive of a technology? The convenience for me would outweigh the HD rumble if that were a concern.

Honestly wish they just did this console at $400 and included everything they should have included to make it viable and powerful. Then maybe drop it to 275 or something for a sku without the TV dock and any other extras. Give people an in, and they'll eventually buy the dock, which let's be honest... is 90 bucks for practically nothing.

YBdisk

The only game I've seen so far that really needs a d-pad is Street Fighter 2. I wouldn't spend even $40 to get a controller with a d-pad just to be able to play SF2 on the switch.

I've said this before but I'm really worried about controlling VC titles pre-n64 and 2d indie titles on the go with that Joy-con d-pad. The system immediately loses alot of its appeal for me. I was really looking forward to portable VC/2d gaming and now I'm much less excited about it.

For menu's and the like it's not going to be a problem. Just don't expect to pull off moves properly on the go in Tekken 7 (fingers crossed for that one).

I've said this before but I'm really worried about controlling VC titles pre-n64 and 2d indie titles on the go with that Joy-con d-pad. The system immediately loses alot of its appeal for me. I was really looking forward to portable VC/2d gaming and now I'm much less excited about it.

For menu's and the like it's not going to be a problem. Just don't expect to pull off moves properly on the go in Tekken 7 (fingers crossed for that one).

Fair enough. I think the 'portability' of this will be hurt if you need to bring a separate controller with you for virtual console stuff. That's not exactly what I think of when I imagine playing games on the go.

Somnid

Blows my mind that they didn't implement quick charge to this. Is it that expensive of a technology? The convenience for me would outweigh the HD rumble if that were a concern.

The Joycons aren't USB, they use a proprietary connection that resides within the rail. Quick charge is also proprietary Samsung.

daxgame

#gripdrama

(seriously, just put your joycons to charge when you're done playing. These things apparently last 20 hours anyway?
Especially those who had a WiiU should know better to do this, with that piece of shit that was the Gamepad's battery)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
$90 for Pro controller and $100 for Joycons in Canada

Lol gg Nintendo

a916

The Joycons aren't USB, they use a proprietary connection that resides within the rail. Quick charge is also proprietary Samsung.

Not necessarily. Apple does it too since the iPhone 6, they just don't bother giving you the wall plug to allow it. If you have a USB wall outlet or a wall plug that gives you (I think roughly 2.1A), you get "quick charge" But not to the ridiculous speeds of Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0

See:

They are two different grips. The one included in the box with the Switch is the first one, and does not have a USB plug, thus is doesn't charge the JoyCons. The other one literally has the word "charging" in its product name. You can see for yourself on Nintendo's website. It sucks ass but they're two different products.

Edit:

joy-con_charging_grip.jpg

The Charging Grip is also apparently translucent and the normal one is matte, to further differentiate them. (unless that's just for the product shots but it's not like Nintendo hasn't made translucent controllers before)

Nintendo has officially lost their mind.
I'm blown away by this company. You need at least 450 € for a normal setup with only one game and one controller. Wow.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The only game I've seen so far that really needs a d-pad is Street Fighter 2. I wouldn't spend even $40 to get a controller with a d-pad just to be able to play SF2 on the switch.

I don't really care about the dpad, but will want a pro controller for two reasons.

1. I can presumably plug it in and keep playing while charging if it dies, which I can't do with the joycons unless I buy the separate charger grip.

2. The "switch" feature isn't as handy if I have to take the Joy Cons off the grip and put them on the Tablet (and vice versa) everytime.

3. Having to take them off and put them on the Tablet everytime to charge (assuming you don't buy the $30 charger grip) also sucks.

So it sucks, but to me it's a lesser shit sandwhich to pay $70 for the pro controller and be able to leave the joy cons on the tablet all the time and have a second controller for any local MP than to pay $30 for the charger grip.

Charger grip REALLY should have been packed in though. I'd just deal with that set up until the pro controller was on sale somewhere if that was the case.

Believe me, I know all that. I started a thread that got to the bottom of all of it but it was locked because of...reasons?

Locked because it was premature.

Which I hope you can actually see now. FUD spreads too easy on GAF to jump to conclusions, my man. Especially during a time where people are ready to believe damn near anything because you can't know what to expect with Nintendo.

Coen

Does the charging grip have an internal battery or is it just a regular grip with the option to connect it to a charger while you're playing?

I don't really care about the dpad, but will want a pro controller for two reasons.

1. I can presumably plug it in and keep playing while charging if it dies, which I can't do with the joycons unless I buy the separate charger grip.

2. The "switch" feature isn't as handy if I have to take the Joy Cons off the grip and put them on the Tablet (and vice versa) everytime.

3. Having to take them off and put them on the Tablet everytime to charge (assuming you don't buy the $30 charger grip) also sucks.

So it sucks, but to me it's a lesser shit sandwhich to pay $70 for the pro controller and be able to leave the joy cons on the tablet all the time and have a second controller for any local MP than to pay $30 for the charger grip.

Charger grip REALLY should have been packed in though. I'd just deal with that set up until the pro controller was on sale somewhere if that was the case.
You don't need to use the grip.

If you play for 20 hours straight you can keep playing by attaching them to the tablet and playing on the tablet screen. I know this isn't ideal, but I can't see it ever being a problem for the majority of people who won't play for 20 hours straight and who will just reattach the controllers to the system when they are done playing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Giant bomb just confirmed that the packed in grip charges the joy cons. Make of that what you want.

Edit:

Got quoted before I could post. 😂

Locked because it was premature.

Which I hope you can actually see now. FUD spreads too easy on GAF to jump to conclusions, my man. Especially during a time where people are ready to believe damn near anything because you can't know what to expect with Nintendo.

They really need to clear that up on product details then. Having two separate sku's, one saying it charges and the other doesn't, miscommunicates whats in the box.

It would've been insane if it didn't, honestly.

azyless

Giant bomb just confirmed that the packed in grip charges the joy cons. Make of that what you want.
Did they get confirmation that it was packed in or are they just going off based on the ones they were given on the show floor ?

I don't see why Nintendo would show grips without USB plugs if they... didn't exist.

Did they get confirmation that it was packed in or are they just going off based on the ones they were given on the show floor ?

I don't see why Nintendo would show grips without USB plugs if they... didn't exist.
I'm sure the comfort grip cannot charge. That's why I don't always trust third party impressions. Sucks if the digital triggers thing is true.

Smash Community already rolling in!

Not even, he just accumulated a lot of Gamecube controllers back in college (because they were relatively cheap) & was thinking of getting back into Nintendo with his 4-year-old son. I wonder if he would let his kid even hold the controller if it would cost over $100 to replace it.

They don't know for sure though. Since if I were Nintendo I would just have the charge grips out on the show floor for easy charging.

You're right. I'm back and forth on this one myself. On one hand, I could see Nintendo pulling some shit like this based on their history, on the other, I can't imagine how Nintendo would find this system viable to begin with given all these strange decisions and pricing, and kind of can't imagine them putting out a console that pretty much has to be successful with all these problems.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to use the grip.

If you play for 20 hours straight you can keep playing by attaching them to the tablet and playing on the tablet screen. I know this isn't ideal, but I can't see it ever being a problem for the majority of people who won't play for 20 hours straight and who will just reattach the controllers to the system when they are done playing.

Have they confirmed the Joy Con battery life is 20 hours? I hadn't seen any mention of Joy Con battery life yet (or pro controller battery life).

If so, agreed, non issue. As I said above, as long as it's 10+ hours its moot. If it's 5-6 like DS4 with no way to charge while playing on TV without an optional charge grip, that's shitty.

I'd still probably get a pro controller since I don't want to fuss with moving the joy cons between the grip and tablet all the time to charge, but if the battery life is long I may wait a while for a deal on a pro controller rather than trying to get day one.

Yeah as much as I enjoy watching the GB duders, I wouldn't take their early first looks as gospel when it comes to this stuff. They're trying to take in as much information as possible in a tiny amount of time. Minutiae like this charging thing can easily get missed.

kami_sama

I mean you literally see no charging grips when you go to the Switch page on the japanese website.
Plenty of these though :

Yeah, it's strange, these look like they don't have charging ports, but the one they showed on treehouse did, and it has the black grips.

I always pull the plug of my systems and TV before I go to bed or leave the house so it's actually a huge issue.

Well I mean, how long do you game at any one time?

They take 3.5 hours to go from 0% to 100% apparently, and they last for 20 hours, and there's only 24 hours in a day. So I mean unless you only go to your house to game and sleep, just plug them in while you're not playing and you shouldn't have any problems.

Top Bottom