• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Online Service Features

Ewo

Thinking about paying for an online subscription to Nintendo makes me get buyer's remorse for my WiiU. I only have 3 games for that and I haven't touched it in months.

I was kind of excited for Splatoon 2, but it's just not worth it for me, regardless of any content they show off. There's no way I would play the Switch for every month I would be paying for, much less spend enough time to justify the cost.

I'd say this is my breaking point with Nintendo. I'm just too casual for them.

ONE game a month... SNES/NES at that and you have to pay for that shit AFTER the month?? yooo lmao Nintendo, I love you but this is a hard pill to swallow

LQX

If it is like $20 for the year it might be a decent deal. No way this thing can be $30-$50 then they take back the games.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Guarantee it will be 59.99, they'll throw in some weird WiiU style First Edition bundle where purchases are 20% off for 1 year off the eShop, but not on the monthly title you get from their NES or SNESlibrary

Watch them give Battletoads as first game lulz or Sports Champions/Coliseum Games (Iirc, that super rare pricey game, collectors get boners for) with MP

Toki767

Nintendo are still living in their own bubble.

I don't know what they're thinking locking voice chat of all things behind a paywall that you have use a smartphone app for. In a world where anyone buying a Switch would have free access to Skype/Discord/the millions of other voice chat apps.

I'm just relieved most Nintendo games I care to play are single player.

opricnik

Banned
So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no cross buy(from older consoles)
-no voice chat in console
-no web browser
-no miiverse
-no video sharing via share button until later date(*)
-games return to nintendo after month(you cant play even you have subs)
-only vc games no switch games?

whew

Fuck you nintendo

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If you keep it forever how can they sell it to you again later?

Just create the next console, people will rebuy Super Mario Bros. 3 for like the 5th time, just say the new console doesn't play nice with older console version ROMs

seantos

Neo Member
Thinking about paying for an online subscription to Nintendo makes me get buyer's remorse for my WiiU. I only have 3 games for that and I haven't touched it in months.

I was kind of excited for Splatoon 2, but it's just not worth it for me, regardless of any content they show off. There's no way I would play the Switch for every month I would be paying for, much less spend enough time to justify the cost.

I'd say this is my breaking point with Nintendo. I'm just too casual for them.

Sadly after buying every system since the nes (except the virtual boy which I always wanted despite how bad it was), I think I may have reached my breaking point as well. I guess we will see but its not looking good right now.

Not sure if this is thread-worthy as this is from a customer service rep, but considering they haven't mentioned anything about Netflix support yet:

VmvaagR.jpg

wildfire

Banned
So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking of cancelling my preorder. Breathe of the WIld is a must have but for longevity I needed multiplayer games. Splatoon 2 will be awesome even for local coop but I don't see enough reasons to buy early into a console that is stressing me out this much about its long term value.

Fredrik

The NES Classic Mini may be the last awesome console from Nintendo. They need to do a XB1 style 180 to recover from this backlash.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Regular Chris Kohler ‏@kobunheat 3m3 minutes ago

Confirmed by NOA: Monthly free classic game on Switch is indeed only available for that month. More deets on Virtual Console before launch.

https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/819956802741747712

if that wasn't clear enough
----

Regular Chris Kohler ‏@kobunheat 1m1 minute ago

Sheesh, even my explanation was unclear. Sorry.

After a month, you can no longer PLAY the monthly Switch online classic unless you buy it.

https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/819957925976350720

ROMs with sell by dates. What an age to be living in.

Caayn

As a Windows Phone owner all the talk about apps is meaningless for me.
To be fair it'd be meaningless for me even if I owned an Android or iOS device as I dislike companion apps

I really hope that the functionality of those companion apps (parental control, lobby, chat) are all accessible from within Switch.

KingV

This thing better be like $15 a year or something.

Since it's Nintendo, it will be priced just a hair higher than what's a good deal, like $35.

They are masters at hitting those price points that are a bit more than the item is worth, but not a total ripoff.

Ogodei

The way "online lobby and voice chat" is a separate bullet point from the phone app having chat functionality makes it seem like those are different things. However Nintendo is still pretty awful with messaging and giving people hard information in a sensible way.

I get the impression that even at this point, Japan controls all information and messaging 100% and they don't understand anything outside Japan, period.

Being a paid service demands more value and features though, and yes, Nintendo is going to get roasted if this thing is fucked up. FYI though, they'd already said a while back that their next console would be moving towards online account / cloud services. My Nintendo is the new basis of that. It's getting hooked into their games and smartphone apps.

So in that regard, it seems the Switch is moving towards what people normally consider account-based. Again though, Nintendo deserves blame for simply refusing to tell people how things work.

Why they should have done Directs instead of a live show. Not like most of that wasn't pre-recorded anyway, and then they could have written things more clearly.

KAL2006

Banned
I just can't justify paying for online on a Nintendo system as majority of the time I play Nintendo systems for the exclusive games which doesn't happen often. So paying for online for the occasional multiplayer for Splatoon is not worth it for me.

To top it off Nintendo have the cheek to offer only 1 VC game and it's only free for a month so you don't get to accumulate free games like PSN.

Finally the Switch itself is overpriced, £280 is way too expensive, and to top it off they only give you 32GB Internal Memory.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I will wait until Switch is £200 like it should have been or a £250 bundle with a game I like. Even then I'm still not sure if I will pick it up due to them charging for online as I'm already paying for PSN and don't want 2 online fees.

Nintendo making it hard to become the defacto secondary console. Before the big reveal I expected a £200 Switch with free online which I would have picked up for the occasional Nintendo exclusive. But now I am having second thoughts.

Read the op and burst out laughing. Making consumers download a smartphone app for features like voice chat and game invites instead of allowing you to do it through the actual console is so backwards. Their free game program is going to be NES and SNES titles. And to top it all off basic features won't even be available at launch. If this costs more than $10 a year then they have lost their minds. I don't understand why Nintendo can't make a competent online infrastructure.

The only reason I'd ever pay for this is because I have to in order to play Splatoon 2 online. That's it. Even Mario Kart online isn't worth paying a monthly subscription for.

I'm hoping to get my Splatoon 2 multiplayer fix before the paywall happens. Splatoon for the Wii U is the only game that's gotten me to play online (usually not my thing) and I'm not going to pay a subscription because after the initial two month binge I only pop in Splatoon once a month for a few games. Not worth the subscription price just for that IMO.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

not sure what to say

Fredrik

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking of cancelling my preorder. Breathe of the WIld is a must have but for longevity I needed multiplayer games. Splatoon 2 will be awesome even for local coop but I don't see enough reasons to buy early into a console that is stressing me out this much about its long term value.
Nah you'll regret the cancellation. As a Nintendo fan I'm there day 1 as usual but I doubt that I'll be in hype mode this time, others won't be either and I'm sure it'll show in the sales numbers once the early adopters start talking about the console in detail. I know that I'll like some parts of it, certainly some games, but I won't hide my feelings on the bad stuff because honestly Nintendo doesn't deserve any sugar-coating, they've been off track too many times with things that matter these days.

One more thing...
Is this Iwata's last "gift" to us or have the new leading people at Nintendo misunderstood Iwata's plan with Switch?

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

good summary

theme Nintendo is setting here is

"Fuck you, give us money"

HotHamBoy

Nintendo in full "FUCK YOU, PAY ME!" mode under Kimishima. The era of Nintendo generosity is over.

Now begins the era of Investor Appeasement.

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

What!? On a tablet-style console???

And this is a machine to appeal to kids?

WHAT???

Fbh

I just have to believe that it's some sort of placeholder system because they are rushing the release or something. Or that someone fucked up and forgot to mention that the app is optional.

It just doesn't make sense. I can at least see some of the reasoning behind annoying elements of previous Nintendo systems (purchases tied to console rather than account, region locking, no voice chat in Splatoon and during races in Mario Kart, etc).
But I just can't picture a scenario where someone comes up with the idea of voice chat and invites ONLY working with a phone App and everyone goes like "yeah, great idea!!!"

Wow. Ive spent this morning reading about the lack of switch games and the absurd console/controller prices, but the stuff in this thread is almost unbelievable.

Nintendo charging for online is simply baffling. Do they not understand people pay on xbox and ps4 because of games like CoD and halo?

If i was a nintendo fan i would be furious
They dont value you as a customer. You are simply a wad of cash they will drain in every possible way for as long as they can.

Ogodei

Lack of cloud saves makes sense if it's meant to be a portable system, no web browser is just a headscratcher.

I'm pretty sure the chat will be in the system as well, why make it a separate bullet point otherwise?

Could be that Nintendo's admission that everyone just does the other stuff on their phones or other devices means that they're slimming down what the console can do. I haven't touched Netflix on my Wii U since i got my Smart TV back in August, runs at the same quality but i don't have to worry about Wii U's auto powerdown kicking in for long watches (or the gamepad running out of battery).

Petrae

If i was a nintendo fan i would be furious
They dont value you as a customer. You are simply a wad of cash they will drain in every possible way for as long as they can.

This attitude is the same of all companies. They only want your cash. The trick is figuring out the best way to get it.

With Nintendo, the company knows that its consumer base is easy to extract money from and it has no problem with being direct about it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This attitude is the same of all companies. They only want your cash. The trick is figuring out the best way to get it.

With Nintendo, the company knows that its consumer base is easy to extract money from and it has no problem with being direct about it.

It's also the difference between having Iwata vs. Kimishima as head.

Nerazar

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

Those two we *know*. The rest is just you venting off :) Nintendo will certainly share more details for their new network in the weeks to come.

Griss

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

Wait wait wait... this stuff isn't actually confirmed, is it?

No cloud saves? Where'd they say that? No cross buy / ugrades? They haven't talked about the VC yet. No web browser or Miiverse? Surely not?

The rest I've heard about.

Tohsaka

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

No way in hell I'll pay for their service if I end up keeping my pre-order.

Somnid

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

We know almost none of this, it hasn't been detailed and even if we did is very likely subject to change over time.

StayDead

We know almost none of this, it hasn't been detailed and even if we did is very likely subject to change over time.

Yeah, honestly guys it's day 1, they said they haven't announced anything and everyone is jumping through hoops to make it seem worse with no facts.

Top Bottom