• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mentally ill inmate locked in hot shower; death ruled an accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/dea...wer-until-his-skin-fell-off-ruled-accidental/

A recently released autopsy report from the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s Office states that Rainey was shoved into a narrow shower stall with the scalding water turned on full blast, eventually leading to his death.

Two hours after being placed in the stall, his lifeless body was found face up with his skin burned so badly that it had shriveled away from his body — a condition medical examiners call “slippage.”

After being removed from the shower, staff administered CPR, with one a nurse registering Rainey’s internal temperature at 102 degrees, well above the normal temperature of 98.6. The autopsy report states that 12 hours after his death, Rainey’s body still had a temperature of about 94 degrees.

I guess being in jail makes it okay for torture.

The 4 year old case is currently being investigated

Although Rainey’s death occurred almost four years ago, Florida state officials only received the autopsy report last week in a case that had previously been described as “accidental.”

Confronted with the autopsy report, the Florida Department of Corrections issued a statement on Friday saying the agency will “remain committed” to working with investigators in the Rainey case.

“The Florida Department of Corrections has not yet received a copy of the medical examiner’s report. Upon our receipt and evaluation of this report, the department will act swiftly in initiating all appropriate investigations and internal reviews,” said spokesman McKinley Lewis.

In addition to a state review of the facility to determine whether correctional officers will stand trial for manslaughter in the death of the inmate, the federal government is also conducting its own investigation into Rainey’s death.

Jarmel

Banned
Title of thread is wrong or at the very least misleading.
Although Rainey’s death occurred almost four years ago, Florida state officials only received the autopsy report last week in a case that had previously been described as “accidental.”

Confronted with the autopsy report, the Florida Department of Corrections issued a statement on Friday saying the agency will “remain committed” to working with investigators in the Rainey case.

“The Florida Department of Corrections has not yet received a copy of the medical examiner’s report. Upon our receipt and evaluation of this report, the department will act swiftly in initiating all appropriate investigations and internal reviews,” said spokesman McKinley Lewis.

In addition to a state review of the facility to determine whether correctional officers will stand trial for manslaughter in the death of the inmate, the federal government is also conducting its own investigation into Rainey’s death.

neshcom

Banned
Title of thread is wrong or at the very least misleading.

This is incredibly important to the story and OP's post. It's an injustice that it's taken longer than the man's original prison sentence to make this much basic progress, but the article is pretty much trying to bang the same drum twice.

andthebeatgoeson

I don't know how someone dying in a prison facility like this could classify as an accident. It sounds like endangerment at best.

There's a ton of people dying in prisons. Usually, prisoners will try and fake a condition to get out of prison to get any treatment.

But because they are prisoners, no one cares. Hell, we have a terrible prison phone system and no one cares.

Tagyhag

He was in there for TWO hours.

Like, it had to be punishment gone wrong right? Jail those fools.

Also, the shower should not be able to get to that temperature, there is no good reason for that.

Gotta love that they're only going to (maybe) try them for manslaughter. This is third degree murder for anyone who isn't a corrections officer (or a victim who isn't mentally ill).

Disgusting.

There's a ton of people dying in prisons. Usually, prisoners will try and fake a condition to get out of prison to get any treatment.

But because they are prisoners, no one cares. Hell, we have a terrible prison phone system and no one cares.

Yup. One of the main reasons (along with their ineffectiveness) I am against prisons is they give people power over another human in a rather opaque system. Inmates are kept under the feet of wardens that are commonly ill equipped mentally in being responsible for controlling someone. This leads to abuse, which is easy to get away with when it's done behind walls hidden from the public.

Jackpot

Banned
It's worse than it looks.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ner-shower-death-ruled-accident-darren-rainey

Darren Rainey, who was schizophrenic, died in June 2012 after he was confined to a tiny cubicle at the psychiatric unit of the Dade correctional institution near Homestead, with corrections officers controlling the water temperature from outside. Several inmates reported hearing Rainey, 50, screaming to be let out while another later claimed he was made to scrape chunks of the dead prisoner’s burned-off flesh from the cubicle floor.

Howard Simon, executive director of the Florida chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), said it “defies belief” that Rainey, who was serving a two-year sentence for cocaine possession, and who had been locked in the shower after he defecated in his cell, died by accident.

“To accept the medical examiner’s conclusion you have to believe that he accidentally locked himself in a shower, then turned up the water temperature to 180 degrees, accidentally boiled himself to death and all the while he was screaming for help,” he told the Guardian.

“That doesn’t sound to me much like an accident.”

On another prisoner's death:

In a darker side to that inquiry, three senior corrections department investigators sent to Franklin to look into Jordan-Aparo’s death and other serious incidents claimed their findings of systemic, widespread corruption and abuses were ignored, and that they later found themselves under investigation. After giving “whistleblower” evidence to state legislators, the three claimed in a lawsuit against the department that they were sidelined and transferred to non-investigational desk duties, “the clearest case of retaliation I’ve seen in my 37 years of practicing law”, according to their attorney, Steven Andrews.

Julie Jones, Florida’s secretary of corrections, meanwhile, dismissed the inspectors as a “group of disgruntled employees that do not have the department’s best interests at heart”.

They're just cattle to them.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a cynical person but fuuuuuuuck

Boiled alive is almost a polite way to put it. The skin was literally sloughing off his body. And it was intentional. No charge.

What the fuck.

I'm okay with vigilante style justice. Remove the guards and the damn attorney.

This SCREAMS corruption.

Where is the punisher in real life....

Sanke__

This is just fucking terrible
They literally tortured a man to death who was in prison for a nonviolent drug crime and was mentally ill

The man was sent to hell on earth for drug possession
Fucking monsters

entremet

Issues like this is why our prison system is messed up.

It's not about true rehabilitation. Guards are not mental health workers.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
John Fan Fan, Cornelius Thompson, Ronald Clarke, Edwina Williams and Katherine Fernandez Rundle, I hope all of your deaths are as horrible as Darren Rainey's death.

RIP Darren Rainey.

Shredderi

What the FUCK? No charges? This is one of those things where the corruption is so obvious that everyone knows, and the system knows that everyone knows. Yeah the shower wasn't dangerous at all. He fucking died. Not dangerous.

highrider

Banned
Prison is fucked up. I know first hand unfortunately. I think Americans are on some level beginning to recognize this, but you are unlikely to see people take to the streets about it. So while thinking people would condemn this, our long term acceptance and endorsement of it is shown in our lack of action to correct it. Because at the end of the day, America wants to lock you up, and they want to keep you in that system. I mean, we incarcerate more people per capita than anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom