• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mentally ill inmate locked in hot shower; death ruled an accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

How can this be accidental? Did they not hear him scream for 2 hours before he suddenly went quiet?

they were just trying to torture him. not torture him to death.

Forgive me for being ignorant on this but aren't mentally ill ppl put in mental care/ special needs lockup rather than regular jails ?

also the system has to agree that you are mentally deficient enough to receive special treatment. Its a lot easier to just put you in with everyone else unless you're a really bad case. Many of the people in there need help that they're not getting.

because that's not what the system was designed for. its was designed to incarcerate and punish and separate from the main population.

I think I have more hatred for this particular DA than the goons who actually commited second degree murder. This sends a bat signal to correctional officers in this district that brutality and torture is A-okay.
Hopefully theres blowback from this, its like we jumped back in time to the pre-Civil Rights era.

akira28

I think I have more hatred for this particular DA than the goons who actually commited second degree murder. This sends a bat signal to correctional officers in this district that brutality and torture is A-okay.
Hopefully theres blowback from this, its like we jumped back in time to the pre-Civil Rights era.

That's a bat signal they've had since the beginning.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
“The shower was itself neither dangerous nor unsafe,’’

Mother fucker, HE DIED
All the more reason that it was staff action that killed him. A Phillips screw driver isn't inherently dangerous. Until I stab someone in the eye with it.

My hot tub is set at 104

Who gives a shit?

Are you implying that because his internal temperature was 102 after being pulled from the torture chamber that he somehow should have survived?

Do you understand how internal body temperatures differ from the 104 degree water you feel on your surface? How hot that shower water must've been to get his internal temp to read at 102 after he'd been taken out of that room?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Still one of the most abhorrent things I've ever heard. What kind of human being can do this to another
Oh, some kinds would. What kind of a DA would say it was an accident, though..

What the fuck. This was literally a horrific murder

“The shower was itself neither dangerous nor unsafe,’’ the report says. “The evidence does not show that Rainey’s well-being was grossly disregarded by the correctional staff.’’

Rainey died inside that shower. He was found crumpled on the floor. When his body was pulled out, nurses said there were burns on 90 percent of his body. A nurse said his body temperature was too high to register with a thermometer. And his skin fell off at the touch.

Fuck you fuck off fuck every single person who was involved in this

Akainu

You know what? This women needs to be bombarded with pictures of people bodies being horribly burned for the rest of her life.

Not only should the feds come through and charge the correctional officers but they should charge the state attorney for neglecting the duty of her office. Why doesn't this ever happened? Do the feds have the power to charge state attorneys for failing to do their job?

It's absolutely awful that there's zero chances of any feds looking into this with who we have in power though I wonder if anyone at the DoJ before then did anything. We're not going to be seeing any chance of serious prison reform unless it's for the even worse for probably a decade if we're lucky.

Who gives a shit?

Are you implying that because his internal temperature was 102 after being pulled from the torture chamber that he somehow should have survived?

Do you understand how internal body temperatures differ from the 104 degree water you feel on your surface? How hot that shower water must've been to get his internal temp to read at 102 after he'd been taken out of that room?

I'm pretty sure he was just comparing the temperature of what, you know, is called a hot tub to the fucking insane temps of that shower.

Zok310

Banned
Cocaine=lock him up. Murder= no charges. Seriously what in the fuck is wrong with this country

Yup, better off just letting the cocaine kill him.
Like some of these wars we fight "We are going to liberate and protect these people from a bad dictator"... 10 years later we end up killing a few hundred thousand more people than the dictator would have killed if left alone. Off topic but this shit is crazy, saving people by killing them.

BaasRed

Banned
Poor man, hope the vermin that did this to him get punished hard. Root of the problem is corruption in the prison system right? After all, how were they able to do this to begin with?!

Mivey

Accident? I guess that's using the Russian definition of """accidents""" that are so overtly murder that' it breaks the scale in one end and ends up being covert.

mantidor

It's absolutely awful that there's zero chances of any feds looking into this with who we have in power though I wonder if anyone at the DoJ before then did anything. We're not going to be seeing any chance of serious prison reform unless it's for the even worse for probably a decade if we're lucky.

Is there really no chance at all to, legally, fight this? No instances? Nothing?

I guess the best you can do is spread these cases as horrible as they are to increase awareness and make people upset enough for someone to do something, but it feels even that wouldn't be enough :/

This is some straight medieval shit, I can't fathom how horrible could it be for someone to slowly die from boiling water pouring all over his body.

People responsible for it are some sick abhorrent beings, it was obviously racially motivated, and they did it knowing no one in position to do something would give a shit about a mentally Ill POC, I know some would love to argue they are mentally ill themselves, but these fuckers are just plain nefarious.

Makes it even more sad that he was in jail for cocaine possesion...

Cohsae

Christ I've read some horrible stories, but this is about as fucked up as it gets.
Literally cooked a man alive and walked away.
Who would you rather have walking the streets, a man with some cocaine, or people that are willing to fucking boil someone alive!?

Is there really no chance at all to, legally, fight this? No instances? Nothing?

I guess the best you can do is spread these cases as horrible as they are to increase awareness and make people upset enough for someone to do something, but it feels even that wouldn't be enough :/

As long as Trump and his band of assholes are in charge, it just isn't happening.

NEO0MJ

How the hell could they just say that nothing wrong happened?! WTF?!
Is this one of those "the gloves don't fit" things?

What the fuck.

I'm okay with vigilante style justice. Remove the guards and the damn attorney.

This SCREAMS corruption.

Where is the punisher in real life....

Even as someone who reads about these kinds of cases everyday, I still have the capacity to be shocked by a case like this - and the horrific response from the state.

I have some thoughts on how this should be handled for the guards and the DA, but it's not appropriate for this forum. I rarely get sickened by news these days.

Mohonky

I seriously hope the guys mental disability in some way prevented him from being entirely conscious or able to perceive the injuries he incurred because seriously I cant fathom how painful that sort of death must have been....

I'm... I'm pretty sure this isn't how the law works. When someone dies because of something you did, you don't get off scott free because of gross negligence.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Welcome to issues with law enforcement in the US.
Hey now, criticism like that makes you anti-cop. You're either with them or you're against them. And I don't think you need to be told what happens to those they feel are against them.

rambis

Banned
This kinda reminds me of the "boiling water challenge" some idiots were doing not too long ago. The agony in just that brief moment seemed unbearble. To think someone being exposed to this for a prolonged amount of time is disheartening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom