• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mentally ill inmate locked in hot shower; death ruled an accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishan

Forgive me for being ignorant on this but aren't mentally ill ppl put in mental care/ special needs lockup rather than regular jails ?

SSPssp

Forgive me for being ignorant on this but aren't mentally ill ppl put in mental care/ special needs lockup rather than regular jails ?

Usually not. Even if they're supposed to be transferred there are never enough beds available for treatment.

There are, but jails usually lack the required care for these types of individuals. Jails are only supposed to be temporarily, however people stay at them a lot longer than they should.

A mentally ill man was put in prison to be tortured and killed over a cocaine possession. The amount of injustice in the world is unfathomable.

slit

"In response to specific questions by Detective Sanchez regarding burns, Dr. [Emma] Lew advised that Rainey did not sustain any obvious external injuries, and, particularly, that there were no thermal injuries (burns) of any kind on his body," the report says. It then adds that from 2012 to 2014, no cause of death was determined.

This was complicated, however, by the fact that Rainey's family members say they were pressured to rapidly cremate his body. If further evidence of a murder existed, it has long been burnt to ashes.

State officials have essentially created hit squads with a complete clean up crew.

Night.Ninja

Banned
francis.png

That's fucked up

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
How is this an accident? It sounds very intentional and like murder to me.

What am I missing?

Mr Git

Fucking hell. Horrible, and absolutely mind boggling. His wellbeing was not grossly disregarded by prison staff? jesus fucking christ.

Mumei

The New Yorker did an in-depth article about this last year. I posted a topic about it. It's fucking disgusting, and it wasn't just limited to this incident or this location. There was also deliberately withholding of food (one example of a man dropping from 178 to 105 pounds), beating prisoners for fun, intimidating mental-health personnel into looking away or not reporting abuses for fears of correctional staff retaliation.

This is an endemic problem in American prisons and correctional culture more generally. Rainey's death is just one of 85 non-natural prison deaths being investigated by the FDLE. And the culture of correctional officer impunity runs deep Half of prison sexual assaults may be due to guards, with prosecutions being rare. This pattern of abuse also happens in prisons where youths are held, as in this DoJ report on Rikers. Even in juvenile detention, patterns of sexual abuse and exploitation of youth have been found, including guards who would exchange sexual favors for small privileges such as extra food, out of cell time when others are confined. Nearly a quarter of those who had been sexually assaulted before were also abused while in custody; 88 percent of those report having been abused repeatedly. And a full quarter of the known staff predators not only avoid prosecution but keep their jobs and access to victims. Even when they are -prosecuted convicted, 73 percent in one study were given probation, and only 8 percent were given more than a year in prison. Courts and juries have shown themselves willing to use stunningly tendentious reasoning to argue against holding guards accountable, even for instances of facilitating the rape of a prisoner as revenge. Tortureis excused and perpetrators have been reinstated even after being fired initially.
And whistleblowers pay a price; looking the other way does not lose you your job.

It's just a bottomless pit.

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."

CSJ

Where is the punisher in real life....

Exactly.

People love to scream about being on a moral high ground calling anyone else not in agreement barbaric that people like this shouldn't suffer for what they did.
But time and time again, humans do awful things and they simply need to be removed from our plane of existence.

It annoys me so much, I wish we could shift-delete the cruel.
It's not working.

Marquis

Banned
No surprise here. I honestly wasn't expecting anybody to be found guilty because quite frankly this is just the America we live in.

Prisons are a breeding ground for Evil.

Why do Showers have locks on them? I can understand why control of the temperature isn't in the hands of the Guards but why do they go up to 180 Degrees? No one's going to use that setting except to kill another person so why give the option in the first place? Why wasn't there a monitor listening for the screams of agony so that they could potentially get this individual to a hospital?

Prisons are a clucksterfuck of incompetent design, moral bankruptcy and pure exploitation. And people want to privatize this shit. Screw those people, maybe they should actually spend some time in the hell that they've made.

Edit: Upon some research, the external controls for the Shower are apparently illegal if superiors aren't notified since it was apparently private. This was even worse than I thought.

Syncytia

This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard of and absolutely just fucked up to do to another human being. Actually sounds like something you might hear having happened at Nazi concentration camp.

Klocker

This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard of and absolutely just fucked up to do to another human being. Actually sounds like something you might hear having happened at Nazi concentration camp.

I wouldn't even consider killing a vicious or rabid animal if under attack in this way let alone a human... probably the most painful possible way to exit this life period.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I remember the original thread we had on GAF. The follow up is just as ifuriating, sad, and unjust. And still as unsurprising.

Also your daily reminder from America to Black people: "you still don't mean shit"
In case you forgot
Dont worry we won't let you forget

Jenov

The medical examiner report is weird. So apparently he didn't have any burns or scalds, yet his body temp was above normal, and they could not identify a cause of death? Um.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My hot tub is set at 104

Does your skin slather off from sitting in it for too long?

This story is disgusting, and this is the first time I've heard of it. Prison guards literally tortured and murdered a man and are getting away with it. Our prison system, among other things, is so systemically fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom