• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mentally ill inmate locked in hot shower; death ruled an accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kinda reminds me of the "boiling water challenge" some idiots were doing not too long ago. The agony in just that brief moment seemed unbearble. To think someone being exposed to this for a prolonged amount of time is disheartening.

Just looked this up thinking it can't be what I think. Nope, it is. What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Mumei

I'm... I'm pretty sure this isn't how the law works. When someone dies because of something you did, you don't get off scott free because of gross negligence.

It would have been more surprising if they were punished, frankly. Even if they had been brought to trial, there's no guarantee. Even judges come up with fantastically tortured logic to excuse abuse and mistreatment of prisoners. There's entirely too much emphasis on what the guards intended or what their state of mind was and entirely too much deference to the claims of the guards—which, given the track record, should be given about as much credence as the testimony of police officers (i.e. almost none except where it can be corroborated by other evidence).

Breads

Banned
Hey now, criticism like that makes you anti-cop. You're either with them or you're against them. And I don't think you need to be told what happens to those they feel are against them.

You thought wrong. Tell me what happens.

Sanjay

First the Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died (Up: settlement, no charges) thread and now Mentally ill inmate locked in hot shower; death ruled an accident Thread.

W T F. These types of events would cause an uproar here but its just another day there. I really don't get it. I get the people that do it are racist scum but the people that review such events, I mean its their job, why are they so bad at it and why are they racist too, its like every one is racist but to believe that is to much.

entremet

First the Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died (Up: settlement, no charges) thread and now Mentally ill inmate locked in hot shower; death ruled an accident Thread.

W T F. These types of events would cause an uproar here but its just another day there.

They've been happening for decades, but the better journalism, smartphones, and the internet is getting these things more exposure.

PoC will tell you they are not surprised. These are systemic issues in policing tactics. This didn't just start happening recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom