• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I know people are laughing at the quest and stuff but this is the kind of card that gets the deck builders out there like myself thinking out of the box.

I would've totally tried to make a deck around trying to play 4 copies of a minion to activate the quest but even for me that challenge isn't worth it because the quest pay off isn't as good.

Cards that I see getting value are stuff like Stonetusk Boar, that 1/1 Pirate that steals a card, Southsea Deckhand etc. Shadowcaster is obviously a much for the deck. Thistletea hitting a small minion or a Prep is potentially huge for the deck too.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Could be really fun to add something like a 2 mana "Create a copy in your hand of the next card you play this turn".

Nachos

Friend sent me this. Don't know if it's real or not.
FXm2il4.png

I looked up the trailer, because it's nearly identical to a still from it, and there are some differences in the art, too. The clouds aren't in the card, and the purple dinosaur there looks to have a horn.
CKph8Ou.png

If it's fake, some effort went into it.

Pooya

You sure can make a deck full of bounce and duplicators that can't manage board whatsoever against anything.

let's just say you built this deck.. what is it even good against? I can't see how you can do all these bouncing and not get face rolled by control decks even/

Dahbomb

FXm2il4.png

I looked up the trailer, because it's nearly identical to a still from it, and there are some differences in the art, too. The clouds aren't in the card, and the purple dinosaur there looks to have a horn.
CKph8Ou.png

That better be a fake because that's a pretty powerful card effect right there.

wiibomb

FXm2il4.png

I'm not sure if it's fake or not, but it probably is, that effect is way too powerful for a 1 mana secret from paladin.

Ripenen

Anyone done the brawl yet? Seems bugged but I can't tell. Stormwind gave one of my minions taunt and then refused to attack it even with a board full of huge party goers, so I got up to 108 damage before the match ended.

Dahbomb

If your minions survive it can basically be a Bloodlust for 1 mana or better if you have beefier minions up and you can activate Windfury on all of them.

Finally, we needed to decide how much mana Quests would cost, either (0) or (1). When they cost (0), playtesting revealed that players would often hold their Quest and then forget to play it before playing the card that triggered it.

Now I understand why HS is getting stupider each expansion. They use trained ferrets as playtesters. Otherwise I can't understand that sentence.
"herp derp, I forgot to play quest cuz of 0 mana. head already confused cuz of too many deckslots, blizzard pls fix"

They really design this game for the lowest lowest lowest of the lowest denominator.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I know people are laughing at the quest and stuff but this is the kind of card that gets the deck builders out there like myself thinking out of the box.

I would've totally tried to make a deck around trying to play 4 copies of a minion to activate the quest but even for me that challenge isn't worth it because the quest pay off isn't as good.

Cards that I see getting value are stuff like Stonetusk Boar, that 1/1 Pirate that steals a card, Southsea Deckhand etc. Shadowcaster is obviously a much for the deck. Thistletea hitting a small minion or a Prep is potentially huge for the deck too.

I think it's probably best after finishing the quest to just keep using the gameplan of creating copies and bouncing stuff around. You're presumably using low cost minions with good battlecries anyway, and they'd be pretty good at 5/5.

There's not many AoEs out there to handle a bunch of 5/5s, so there's not much need to overthink what those 5/5 minions should be.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I mean yeah you can swashburgle and stuff but like...the board is going to murder you.

Rogue has basically always relied hard on tempo with their spells. Backstabs, evis, prep, etc. while developing minions. Those actively hurt this deck and the 5 cost for the quest REALLY hurt it even if you got some god start with double swashburglers into shadowsteps, you still can't play or make use of the quest unless you get a prep. Which is highly draw reliant, and the quest already hurts your opening. The new spell seems solid but you wouldn't want to hit something like backstab with it, and thistle tea is a super slow card that would hit the same problem with spells. So now if you go with a minion heavy rogue deck you have a bunch of clunky bounce minions, trying to abuse battlecrys which then makes prep shitty to even have which now makes the quest itself clunky to play since it's 5 mana to basically do nothing. Meanwhile your opponent is playing hearthstone and you are already dying by turn 4.

The only way I see this ever working is a bunch of charge weenies that get dumb draws and win by charging face with a stat buff. Which is not even going to be fun. Rogue otherwise won't want to play a slower match to drop normal 5/5s every turn. There's surely a slow clunky deck that is super fun to play but hearthstone's ladder will shit on you for trying to do that, as always. I agree with Szadek, if someone manages to find a good Rogue list that uses this quest it will be some really awful to play against deck.

Also there is no way that pally secret can be real. If you had a board that sticks those adapt effects all are going in effect as stuff attacks which would be be insane for 1 mana.

Dahbomb

Now I understand why HS is getting stupider each expansion. They use trained ferrets as playtesters. Otherwise I can't understand that sentence.
"herp derp, I forgot to play quest cuz of 0 mana. head already confused cuz of too many deckslots, blizzard pls fix"

They really design this game for the lowest lowest lowest of the lowest denominator.

It's the "forgot to attack with Patches" all over again! I guess that's why they didn't think Patches would be broken, a lot of the times their playtesters forgot to attack with it skewing the win rates!

Nachos

That better be a fake because that's a pretty powerful card effect right there.

Yeah, the effect seemed fake, but I have no idea where the art came from. They're clearly reusing the assets from the trailer for most of it, but the frame that I posted lasts for only a fraction of a second. You never see the purple dinosaur without the clouds covering it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the effect seemed fake, but I have no idea where the art came from. They're clearly reusing the assets from the trailer for most of it, but the frame that I posted lasts for only a fraction of a second. You never see the purple dinosaur without the clouds covering it.

Artists post their art on the internet all the time. Or photoshop.

EIther way that card has gotta be fake, and if it's not god help us.

wiibomb

a 6/6 would have been much better, at 5 mana it is too costly to be viable.

it is nice to see that there would be several cards that wouldn't work when this is activated.

for example, paladins would be majorly screwed after the this is played with no efective board clears to take out the minios

Szadek

Actual HS playtester:
dog-chasing-tail-o.gif

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I'm sure you never, ever forgot to attack with Patches.

Dahbomb

so uhhh what secret do you want from this very powerful card? in standard

Edit: I guess the new one is alright
You can think of it like a Dark Peddler. 1 mana cards aren't really powerful by themselves and certainly weak in control decks but being able to choose which 1 mana card you can get in particular match ups and situations is noteworthy.

Getting a Noble Sacrifice from that card to block a charger or a weapon against Pirate Warrior. Likewise getting Repentance against a control deck can also change the tide of the game.

There aren't even that many secrets for Paladin so you can likely get the Secret that you want. It's choice among Eye for an Eye, Repentance, Redemption, Noble Sacrifice, Kodo in Standard... maybe that new card if it's real.

Nachos

Artists post their art on the internet all the time. Or photoshop.

EIther way that card has gotta be fake, and if it's not god help us.

I get that, but I wasn't able to find the artist for the trailer, since Blizzard never credits them. I also don't get the slight visual changes like the horn, since it wouldn't be there even if the clouds were gone. It seems like a pointless change since most people wouldn't check for that, and I'm sure most artists would want to represent their art as it exists in the real thing.

ZealousD

so uhhh what secret do you want from this very powerful card? in standard

Depends. What's the board state? What does my hand look like? What does my opponent's hand look like?

Even a garbo card like Repentance can be powerful in the right circumstance.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's the minions you summoned? What about the minions summoned for you? Leeroy, Hungry Dragon, etc

It probably works like an aura so I would guess any minion on your side of the board is going to be a 5/5. No idea how stuff like cold blood will work.

squidyj

Depends. What's the board state? What does my hand look like? What does my opponent's hand look like?

Even a garbo card like Repentance can be powerful in the right circumstance.

not in the circumstance where you put a 2/2 murloc on the board though.
The card quality is significantly worse than peddler and i'm having a hard time finding any synergy between a semirandom secret and what the rest of a paladin deck would be trying to do.

Dahbomb

That's the minions you summon or you play?Onyxia is OP if summoned. What about the minions summoned for you? Leeroy, Hungry Dragon, etc
I think it's like an aura effect on the board that makes your minions 5/5.

Sort of like that one Brawl where all the minions had an aura of being 1/1s.

So yeah Onyxia should summong 5/5s. If it doesn't work like that then this card is even worse than initially estimated.

Xanathus

I just noticed that the "reward" for the Rogue quest costs 5 mana to play, and would have zero effect if you have no board on top of requiring an extremely low tempo line of play in order to complete the quest. Yeahhhh, this is not going to be meta viable at all.

luoapp

I think it's like an aura effect on the board that makes your minions 5/5.

Sort of like that one Brawl where all the minions had an aura of being 1/1s.

So yeah Onyxia should summong 5/5s. If it doesn't work like that then this card is even worse than initially estimated.

It's still unclear. So this means a newly summoned minion always has 5/5, but it can still be damaged/buffed, (so it's not literally "For the rest of the game", Aura effects are consistent as long as the condition is met.) Can 5/5s be silenced? What about handbuffed minions? VanCleef? Sometime, Hearthstone can really use an editor.

squidyj

I think if that pally card was for hunter and it was a beast it'd be great.

Rogue quest makes me want to run violet teacher and cards that put other cards in my hand, preferrably on battlecry

going first
1: quest
2: burglar burglar shadowstep shadowstep
3: burglar burglar prep crystal (hope you get a 1 mana card from your bruglars)
4: ????

Dahbomb

It's still unclear. So this means a newly summoned minion always has 5/5, but it can still be damaged/buffed, (so it's not literally "For the rest of the game", Aura effects are consistent as long as the condition is met.) Can 5/5s be silenced? What about handbuffed minions? VanCleef? Sometime, Hearthstone can really use an editor.
Silenced minions will go back to their original state I believe. So if you converted a minion to a 5/5 that was originally a 8/8, it will go back to being a 8/8.

I think the rogue quest is gonna underestimated. This is a deck that is going to have a very low curve. It's end game will be playing 5/5 novice engineers. The low curve will also help make use of the legendary minion they got.

I think if that pally card was for hunter and it was a beast it'd be great.

Rogue quest makes me want to run violet teacher and cards that put other cards in my hand, preferrably on battlecry

going first
1: quest
2: burglar burglar shadowstep shadowstep
3: burglar burglar prep crystal (hope you get a 1 mana card from your bruglars)
4: ????

Violet teacher is prob a good call. And adapt deathrattle spawning minions if it works on them too.

Dahbomb

I think the rogue quest is gonna underestimated. This is a deck that is going to have a very low curve. It's end game will be playing 5/5 novice engineers. The low curve will also help make use of the legendary minion they got.

So lose tempo at the start trying to get the quest off, then lose tempo when you actually play the card to play 2 mana 5/5s that can draw? That's not even as impressive as getting 1 mana 5/5 Charge minions.

luoapp

Silenced minions will go back to their original state I believe. So if you converted a minion to a 5/5 that was originally a 8/8, it will go back to being a 8/8.

So it's not like aura effect, which can't be negated by silencing the receiving minion.

wiibomb

but the effect goes after the casting off the spell, effectively leaving that 8/8 silenced a 5/5 silenced because of the effect of the portal.

I'm using the same reasoning as why a equality wouldn't have an effect.

bjaelke

maybe paladin's quest is about playing secrets....

I'd take it in arena.
But you can't.
Mike: We have a lot of new Arena technology, and with this, we can remove Quests from Arena to be offered other Legendaries. I would like to also mention random card generators will not create Quests. [These include Yogg, Nexus Champion Saraad, Babbling Book, and others of the same nature.]
https://tempostorm.com/articles/an-exclusive-interview-with-mike-donais-the-mammoth-in-the-room

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Probably works like an aura where it's white text stats at 5/5 on every minion played or summoned. So can be buffed or debuffed and damaged as usual, but cannot be silenced.

Edit: Or maybe it could be silenced after they made the various cards that create a 1/1 copy silenceable despite changing the attack and health numbers on the card itself, even though the 1/1 brawl was unsilenceable. Hard to say.

Handbuff paladin can do the same without a quest. It's still too slow.

Paladin is not nearly the same as rogue in terms of resources to make it work or not.

Then once the quest is going you could drop violet teacher and summon a handful of 5/5s while removing the enemy's board with your efficient removal that paladin has none of.

luoapp

Probably works like an aura where it's white text stats at 5/5 on every minion played or summoned. So can be buffed or debuffed and damaged as usual, but cannot be silenced.

That may be it. But still, what about the minions you get from your opponent? I guess it's "newly summoned on your side".

So lose tempo at the start trying to get the quest off, then lose tempo when you actually play the card to play 2 mana 5/5s that can draw? That's not even as impressive as getting 1 mana 5/5 Charge minions.

That is just one example I could think of. Novice fits because you could shadowstep and replay it, and then drop an 8/8 van cleef while working towards quest completion.

You could even run wisps in this deck. 0 mana minion to bounce. Later it's a 0 mana 5/5 that you're playing alongside 2-3 other 5/5s.

ZealousD

not in the circumstance where you put a 2/2 murloc on the board though.
The card quality is significantly worse than peddler and i'm having a hard time finding any synergy between a semirandom secret and what the rest of a paladin deck would be trying to do.

Actually, that's a great circumstance to use repentence. You have a tiny body to trade into whatever they plop down. That's effectively 3 mana removal.

I don't think you really need tons of synergy for it to be playable and good. It has nice stats for a discover minion. I think it's independently good.

Dahbomb

That is just one example I could think of. Novice fits because you could shadowstep and replay it, and then drop an 8/8 van cleef while working towards quest completion.

You could even run wisps in this deck. 0 mana minion to bounce. Later it's a 0 mana 5/5 that you're playing alongside 2-3 other 5/5s.
So you are playing a metric ton of mediocre/bad cards (like Wisps) to get some value out of this Quest and then play a horrible card on that turn just to get gains from it later?

That has never worked out well in the history of Hearthstone. Usually you can afford to play a few mediocre/bad cards if the synergy is insane (like playing a bunch of mediocre Hunter Secrets to get the nuts play Cloaked Huntress) but this is the type of deck where you need quite a bit of these weird cards to make the quest work consistently.

And again, what are you actually beating with this kind of deck? You can beat control decks but Rogue already excels at beating control decks. Can you beat Midrange/curve decks with this? By the time you get to activate the quest, a Jade deck is going to be pumping out 5/5s too.

Since the quest focuses on minions that means that you need a healthy amount of minions in your deck which means stuff like Shadowstep loses some value after the quest has been played. And Rogue usually has a good number of spells in their deck.

sibarraz

Banned
I think than that quest will work more like a combo, not by playing it on curve, some kind of miracle rogue could make it work. the problem is than the deck will need like 10-15 cards to make the combo

Pooya

why play bunch of trash to make something good out of them when you can just play good cards instead.

That kind of deck would lose hard to any kind of tempo/midrange deck by default and it's not exactly good against anything slower either because it's the most inconsistent strategy ever.

ZealousD

why play bunch of trash to make something good out of them when you can just play good cards instead.

That kind of deck would lose hard to any kind of tempo/midrange deck by default and it's not exactly good against anything slower either because it's the most inconsistent strategy ever.

This sounds like something that people would have been said about Jade Golems prior to their release.

(Not saying the Rogue Quest is as good as Jade Golems, just making a point.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom