• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition - Announcement Trailer | PS4

Oh god but they were rubbish. I had a few of them - Ripper, Daedalus Encounter, 7th Guest / 11th Hour etc... it was just about the advent of the CD-ROM drive and the novelty of being able to do fully voiced adventure games and long video clips.

They're absolutely bad. But I think they're in a Room territory. You know, where it's bad but the people behind it were really trying hard to make something great. It's that intentional aspect that elevates it above something that's trying to be bad.

Have you ever seen Fox Hunt on the PSone? It's a FMV game by Capcom with a lead that's trying super hard to channel Keanu Reeves from Bill and Ted, but he does a really bad job at it. It's all really 90's and so fucking funny.

Majine

Banned
f8165c24418b7c40a0fbd7d0b34c489a8a5295e962191a2eb432b8b66890728e.jpg

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Shit like this gets remastered and still no Goldeneye.

It's a cruel world :(

Shaq Fu got a spiritual successor funded but Eternal Darkness didn't.

This truly is the darkest of timelines.

Fisty

Do they have access to the source video? I mean, VCD quality bitrates really turn my nostalgia crank, but I'm hoping they've re-encoded the video to look better on our HD sets

How many people genuinely excited for this actually played the game when it came out and were old enough to really understand what they were "experiencing?"

They should start doing this.. start releasing Digital Picture Games...

Playing these games without grain and finally in HD would be very nice...

Mark me down as one.
You're a legit fan? Or is this an ironic thing? I mean, to me, this game doesn't fall into the "so bad it's good" territory; it's just bad. And I don't begrudge anyone who genuinely enjoys it, I'm just surprised and would love to hear a dissenting opinion!

You're a legit fan? Or is this an ironic thing? I mean, to me, this game doesn't fall into the "so bad it's good" territory; it's just bad. And I don't begrudge anyone who genuinely enjoys it, I'm just surprised and would love to hear a dissenting opinion!

I'm a legit fan of 90's FMV games. I know they were cheesy and lame, but they were enjoyable to me. I was big into the whole CD/multimedia wave when it started.

WTF

I still remember beating this game 20 years ago. I still remember the theme song. It's playing in my head right now. This shit is hilarious that this remake got made.

I'm a legit fan of 90's FMV games. I know they were cheesy and lame, but they were enjoyable to me. I was big into the whole CD/multimedia wave when it started.
As am I. Love it. Revere games like Myst, The 7th Guest, Under a Killing Moon, etc. Some of my all-time favorites! I found Night Trap to be a broken chore. Will people have this much excitement when Sewer Shark inevitably rears its ugly head?

As am I. Love it. Revere games like Myst, The 7th Guest, Under a Killing Moon, etc. Some of my all-time favorites! I found Night Trap to be a broken chore. Will people have this much excitement when Sewer Shark inevitably rears its ugly head?

Don't start playing with my emotions. :)

Do they have access to the source video? I mean, VCD quality bitrates really turn my nostalgia crank, but I'm hoping they've re-encoded the video to look better on our HD sets

I believe they found the original film prints and digital remastered to 1080p from that.

CREMSteve

Here's a podcast interview with the guy developing it. He discusses how it came about, the new video quality and some other interesting information:

https://tiredoldhack.com/2017/04/25...ight-trap-25th-anniversary-edition-interview/

EDIT - Full disclosure, this is my site and my interview. Should have clarified that, sorry! :)
Looks like they've done an excellent job remastering. Love the fact that the icons are now actual shots of the home!

MrBS

I remember this being on the news as a shining example of why gaming is evil, it was the worst thing ever but thanks to the absurd prices of the Sega CD etc it was never going to happen for young me.

Despite buying a Sega CD a few years back I never did pick this up. Will get!

PSFan

I always wanted to play this. I was in the SNES camp and never had a Genesis so I never played it. I knew all about it though. I gotta get a physical copy.

Toparaman

Banned
I was just listening to a 2014 Giant Bombcast discussing the Kickstarter for this remaster.

Took a while, but it's finally coming!

MaulerX

How many people genuinely excited for this actually played the game when it came out and were old enough to really understand what they were "experiencing?"

I remember replaying this game until I got a perfect (capturing all the bad guys). Lol

cj_iwakura

I was just listening to a 2014 Giant Bombcast discussing the Kickstarter for this remaster.

Took a while, but it's finally coming!

You want to know something really sad? Apparently a shooting script for this game exists, I was going to get a gander at it until the KS failed. :(

Rival

Gold Member
Wow this is unexpected! It was a shitty game back when I tricked my parents into buying it for me and I'm sure it's worse now. But I want it!

TLZ

Banned
Haha is this for real?

I played this on the 3DO back then thinking "wow next gen real life gaming!".

mieumieu

The trailer looks good and sufficiently hi res.

This is an historically important game and a good representation of its genre. I am glad it got preserved in better form.

Top Bottom