• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition - Announcement Trailer | PS4

Maligna

Banned
For some reason I always get Night Trap and Snatcher mixed up. I really want to try Snatcher. Night Trap, not so much.

This does a good job of it:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nighttrap/nighttrap.htm

Or if you have time to watch a fascinating documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh8KqcoYe5s

Really, the footage in Night Trap is almost 30 years old, the Dangerous Games documentary shows the filming dates on the clap boards...

SYAflHe.png

July 29th 1987.

And yeah, the sexualized content in Night Trap was overblown, the game itself was used as a catalyst against violent video games. Some say that former NOA president Howard Lincoln tipped off senator Joe Lieberman's people that there was a game that featured 'realistic' graphics with a scene that featured a girl in a night gown that could be murdered if you didn't save her in time. They spun it off into a "rape scenario'.

The game itself was never really trying to be over the top. It was intended to be a cheesy b-movie inspired game. But it got caught up in the 1993 video game hearing's. Though in retrospect, the controversy helped this game sell more copies than it should have.

Meh3D

I ... "played" it...

The only reason I would ask for this would be to force "bad devs" to play it for the crap ports they released.

How dare you people compare this to Myst. Myst was way better.

ds1724

Sewer Shark would be great...the biggest problem with that game was that the video quality was so horrible you couldn't see what you were supposed to be shooting.

And someone mentioned Ground Zero Texas...man I played the hell out of that one summer. Forgot all about it.

I bought Double Switch for my iPhone recently too. It's funny how I can still recite the lines after all these years since every single time you play you're subjected to the same thing and it gets crammed in your skull for eternity!

Moofers

I'm buying this and I'd buy the hell out of a Ground Zero Texas remaster as well.

"HOW INCOMPETENT! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!?"

*BOOM*

Really, the footage in Night Trap is almost 30 years old, the Dangerous Games documentary shows the filming dates on the clap boards...

SYAflHe.png

July 29th 1987.

And yeah, the sexualized content in Night Trap was overblown, the game itself was used as a catalyst against violent video games. Some say that former NOA president Howard Lincoln tipped off senator Joe Lieberman's people that there was a game that featured 'realistic' graphics with a scene that featured a girl in a night gown that could be murdered if you didn't save her in time. They spun it off into a "rape scenario'.

The game itself was never really trying to be over the top. It was intended to be a cheesy b-movie inspired game. But it got caught up in the 1993 video game hearing's. Though in retrospect, the controversy helped this game sell more copies than it should have.

This was really filmed in 87, and intended as a multimedia game? Because I don't think streaming video or CD-ROM even existed yet, at least not for consumers.

Fox Mulder

I'm a legit fan of 90's FMV games. I know they were cheesy and lame, but they were enjoyable to me. I was big into the whole CD/multimedia wave when it started.

Fmv games have their charm. This is just a shitty game. It's only notorious due to the overblown politcian reaction and scummy Nintendo.

teiresias

I've never played this, but always been curious, though I think I'd prefer to buy a used copy for my SegaCD because I can't imagine it has much value outside the novelty of it being one of the early FMV games and seeing it in the way it had to be packaged (compression, etc.) back then.

There are some good FMV games - Gabriel Knight 2 remains one of my favorite games to this day, and may honestly be the pinnacle of the genre - but this doesn't really seem to have many redeeming qualities in either storytelling or production.

fvng

Fmv games have their charm. This is just a shitty game. It's only notorious due to the overblown politcian reaction and scummy Nintendo.

you must be a riot at parties. i'm stoked. nostalgia is a real thing, and anyone who loves cheesy 80s/early 90s movies will eat this up.

While true, it's still not a good game. It's an amusing one for the cheese factor, but not much else.

It holds a special place in the hearts of many....

The experience of playing Night Trap is very similar to the first time you had sex. It might have been a disappointment, but you are not going to forget it!

This was really filmed in 87, and intended as a multimedia game? Because I don't think streaming video or CD-ROM even existed yet, at least not for consumers.

It was originally intended to be a game on a VHS based system that Hasbro intended to release, but when that was cancelled, the footage sat unused for four years.

DMczaf

No, it's actually much tamer than the media made it seem back in the day.

Despite protests from both publishers Sega and Digital Pictures, who pointed out the game was a tribute/spoof of old, tacky horror movies (and also that the game didn't actually feature any explicit scenes of violence or nudity whatsoever)

This is some damn BULLSHIT! My 8 year old self is PISSED OFF!

Hawk269

This is the last game I thought would get a anniversary edition. I did own the game when it game out along with a few other FMV games....Loved Tom Cat Alley, which was one my favorite FMV games.

TwiztidElf

The kickstarter failed right? So where did this come from?
Did the Kickstarter guys just keep going? OR is this something completely different?

1upsuper

I'm in. I'm guessing a lot of the people shitting on the game aren't familiar with FMV games/haven't played it...? It's not gutter trash like a lot of people seem to be saying. It's a cheesy b-movie turned into an FMV game. Is this like AVGN syndrome where people just parrot the opinions of YouTube talking heads?

This is the most left field thing announcement I've heard in a while. This can't actually be more than an ironically liked game, right?

It was planned for a game console that in development by Hasbro and Nolan Bushnell (the original founder of Atari) that would use special VHS cassettes. The console would've been called the Control-Vision, and it would use special multi-track VHS tape that would also stream a data channel to an 8-bit CPU in the system. It was going to be a weird VHS game machine with 8-bit graphics overlays, or something like that. Hasbro realized it was a dumb idea during development and cancelled it.

Night Trap and Sewer Shark were filmed in 1987 and 1988 for the Hasbro Control-Vision console, but after the console's cancellation they sat on a shelve somewhere for quite a few years. I'm pretty sure that both these games were to be revived on the SNES-Playstation CD add-on, but that console never happened. Then Digital Pictures moved over to the Sega CD, because it was the only viable home console at the time that could stream video data. Sega picked up the original publishing for Night Trap while Sony Image soft published Sewer Shark.

Also, in the 32x and 3DO version's of Night Trap, there is a scene where the "SCAT Commander" (or whatever he's called) holding up a prototype version of the Control-Vision game pad.... or at least that is what the claims are.

QnxSErV.png

For the Sega CD version, they re-filmed this guy's scenes holding a Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive pad.

lpaO23P.png

Top Bottom