• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be in the OP as an update along with Raw Fury's statement:
raw_fury_the_last_night_gamergate_by_digi_matrix-dbcfsfc.png

Idle Thumbs: https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9728-cyberpunk-cop-killah-aka-the-last-night/#comment-324625

Yeah, we'll see in the final game how the themes play out. The game is still on my radar. The only games I couldn't touch were Hatred and I wasn't wrong on missing out on that. We'll see if this improves or not.

This statement for me is more than enough. Buying this Day 1 (when it's out on PS4 though, hehe!)

This statement for me is more than enough. Buying this Day 1 (when it's out on PS4 though, hehe!)

It's PR.

He made similar comments this April.

Absolutely nothing about his views has changed. The plot of the game may have, and if that's enough for you, go ahead, but he absolutely didn't stop being a shitty person in the last two months. He just noticed that his views might impair his ability to make money with his game.

Wereroku

It's PR.

He made similar comments this April.

Absolutely nothing about his views has changed. The plot may have, but he absolutely didn't stop being a shitty person in the last two months.

It's doubtful that the plot has changed since the writer is into the exact same views and has already said it will look at "both sides".

lol at people buying damage control PR. "A lot can change in three years, including viewpoints." Dude was tweeting alt-right shit just a few months ago, so what's changed again?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Lets put it this way. If the creator is still a Gamer Gater and general tooly asshat he will reveal himself sooner or later. They always do. Whether its Bill Maher dropping the N word or Jon Tron showing off how ignorant he is these types tend not to shut up for long. Something sets them off or they trip up when they think no one is paying attention but we'll see if the change in the creator is genuine or if its just PR and trying to save face after the game blew up in all the ways they didn't want it to.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I realised he probably had French tweets people hadn't caught:

B3iXVVp.png

(the tweets he's replying to have been deleted)

1. The only racist I see here creating a racial hierarchy because someone is black or white here is you.

2. The real racists are the degenerates of your kind who see everything through the prism of race and gender.

(The next tweets are in the context of an "anti colonial summer camp" in France for POC which did not welcome the participation of white folk.)
zEtozEX.png

Tim1. Please tell me you're not defending the summer camp, Baptiste.

Baptiste2. I 200% do, and I really dislike seeing everybody up in arms about it. "Oh my god, the oppressed are organising!"

Tim3. Wow, you've totally bought into the rhetoric of oppression and state racism. Disappointing.

(he then suggests Baptiste read an article he links)
csh6fr1.png

Baptiste4. I read it, it's mediocre and shallow. Whether or not it chaffs your butt, institutional racism exists and is still a reality.

Baptiste5. Obviously, people who don't live it scream when say that, which in itself justifies the existence of a camp where speech is protected.

Tim6. That's anti living-together. I miss the 90s when I was a kid and we were all mixed and never thought about colour or religion.

And, re: Zoe Quinn
PinPuLu.png

I don't know if you're aware, but it's a hot topic. Zoe Quinn was sexually harassing men all while crying sexism.
Yeah, I hope this game gets fucking buried.

Good job, asshole. You fucking played yourself.

I'm a member over on the Idle Thumbs forums and I kinda can't believe that their PR statement actually links that thread.

His statements are brought up, he posts more of the hateful stuff people were wary about, he gets no support for his hate, and then he does the "well clearly I just have to stop talking about this so I'm leaving" move while taking one last dump on the thread. Having people read that is supposed to make them feel better about him?

Lets put it this way. If the creator is still a Gamer Gater and general tooly asshat he will reveal himself sooner or later. They always do. Whether its Bill Maher dropping the N word or Jon Tron showing off how ignorant he is these types tend not to shut up for long. Something sets them off or they trip up when they think no one is paying attention but we'll see if the change in the creator is genuine or if its just PR and trying to save face after the game blew up in all the ways they didn't want it to.

JonTron went full Neo-Nazi. That was beyond embarrassing.

Beefy

The irony of the controversy is that the game has lots more exposure than it did when it was featured in the press conference. I don't support his views even a little bit, but buying this used to see into the mind of another point of view could be interesting.

Why would you want to see a mind of a GG?

At that point it'd be too late as they already have our money.

Given the behavior of the creator and how it literally hasn't changed for years and that others on his dev team re liking tweets about "SJWs ruining gaming", I can't buy that the game hasn't changed from it's initial concept. Especially given indie games are often influenced even more directly by the worldviews of the devs themselves.

Of course this assumes interest in the game itself.

Reading the idle thumbs thread is a much better picture of what the developers' thought process is than a few twitter screen grabs and associating him with GG.

These don't seem like the words of a GG women hating bigot.

I prefer a positive attitude and actually creating stuff rather than arguing on internet to change things. That's why I'm making progressive games.
That's why I'm writing original characters. When was the last time you saw a bisexual main character ? Considering we share the same opinion about the evolution needed in video games, you should be encouraging my work, instead trying to paint me as evil / naive / supporting trolls.

Sianos

Best case scenario is that is isn't no longer sexist, just transphobic.

That's a terrible best case scenario.

I try not to give money to shitty people and I'll continue to do so with this dude. Sure, some people might be shitty and I don't know or whatever but I do what I can.

I'm not expecting a very enlightening take on transhumanism from a guy who doesn't understand the concept of transgender people.

I think Tim could best show how his beliefs (allegedly) changed by repeatedly denouncing Gamergate and calling out it's rampant harassment strongly and unequivocally.

lush

What an embarrassing mouth breather and yeesh, doubling down with that laughable PR damage control non-response. MS needs to publically distance themselves from this mess.

Wereroku

Reading the idle thumbs thread is a much better picture of what the developers' thought process is than a few twitter screen grabs and associating him with GG.

Why don't you check out the links above where he is spouting bullshit in his native language as well. Dude is a gamergater through and through empty pr saying he has vaguely changed is worthless.

It's almost as if taking a neutral stance that sounds nice at first is a popular tactic of the alt-right and gamergaters to discredit feminism or BLM as extreme views, when that's where the actual problems are addressed.

Sianos

That reminds me, I gotta ask the writer again if the thematic significance of their bisexual main character is related to Tim's expressed theme of "feminism eliminating genders".

Because if we actually are getting some "bisexuals are ruining the natural order" nonsense - and there is no actual proof besides inference yet - then I wouldn't expect this game to give any sort of insightful take on society and transformations of conceptual identity due to transhumanism.

Tommy DJ

It's looking like the guy is adopting Trump's PR style. The official PR puts out a message so people give him the benefit of doubt while in actuality nothing has actually changed and he is actually still a huge tool.

Makai

The irony of the controversy is that the game has lots more exposure than it did when it was featured in the press conference. I don't support his views even a little bit, but buying this used to see into the mind of another point of view could be interesting.
How do you plan on buying it used?

dawgparty

You are cherrypicking your examples as well. Just because someone says some feel-good nonsense after being a completely indignant asshole doesn't mean anything.

Daffy Duck

Cool, but this game's narrative structure revolves around the GG ideology. So saying you don't want any exposure to GG and saying you want to play this game are two conflicting viewpoints.

Well when the game was shown I had no idea about the background of it, and I've not even read here most of the tweets about this person or the story of the game, I have now since learned though of the actual premise of the game, and my mind is now spinning and I feel conflicted on this whole thing.

Otnopolit

How do you plan on buying it used?

Well, I don't own a capable PC or an Xbox One, but I suppose somebody could if it's getting a physical release for Xbone? I was speaking in hypotheticals because I still think a way to experience a radically different point of view than your own in a medium that doesn't usually express itself politically is reason enough to venture into it. Always important to work outside one's own bubble.

... God dammit... I was really looking forward to this one.

Oh well, there's hundreds of other good games made by people who aren't sexist\racist assholes.

I'll have to make due.

Like I said a way back on this thread -

Why would a Gamergater put his game on Humble Bundle
Why would Humble Bundle, a place that did a bundle to support the ACLU, even approach him?

The Humble Store sells HuniePop and the Postal series, and the first Humble Monthly Bundle included The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Humble really just sells games.

Honestly, after feeling kind of dirty for buying Shadow Complex and beating it because of the Orson Scott Card connection, I can't see myself getting into this. The Eldritch God that is my backlog is already too unfathomable that anything that may be supporting an ideology I don't support is going to be ignored.

And yes, I do acknowledge the irony of my HP Lovecraft reference, and art is filled with those type of potholes, but that doesn't mean I'm going to drive into them unless I have a pretty good reason to.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If he really changed his views and his old shitty views aren't in the game anymore, that's one thing.

But so far he's been wishy-washy and hasn't explicitly repudiated his old posts, and he hasn't apologized (as far as I know) to Zoe Quinn and other harassed women for his shitty comments. Soooo unless I have evidence otherwise, fuck this guy and fuck the blatant damage control PR statement by the publisher.

lol at people buying damage control PR. "A lot can change in three years, including viewpoints." Dude was tweeting alt-right shit just a few months ago, so what's changed again?

Ugh really? Any links?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
JonTron went full Neo-Nazi. That was beyond embarrassing.

Oh I agree but it seems that if you're prone to posting really stupid and offensive stuff online once, let alone several times, then you're probably going to do it again even if you make a lot of promises about learning your lesson or changing for the better.

Ekai

It's not a few Twitter screen grabs. It's is twitter history over 3 years. Not to mention his posts on other forums. It's pretty damning.

Look at my last post ... he said he changed.

But saying that you changed WAY easier than actually changing
Yeah I'm not gonna take him on his word on this.
He was literally arguing the same thing about how he supports inclusivity and equality in 2014, as he's arguing in these tweets, while he was actively working against those very things.

He is yet to apologize, make amends and show that he has actually changed. As far as I know, he still thinks Gamergate was/is great and he's done or said nothing wrong.

Yup. Tim and the game gets one last chance for me, and if he messes up from now until the game's release, I'm done with the game.

Nibel

This should be in the OP as an update along with Raw Fury's statement:
raw_fury_the_last_night_gamergate_by_digi_matrix-dbcfsfc.png

Idle Thumbs: https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9728-cyberpunk-cop-killah-aka-the-last-night/#comment-324625

Yeah, we'll see in the final game how the themes play out. The game is still on my radar. The only games I couldn't touch were Hatred and I wasn't wrong on missing out on that. We'll see if this improves or not.

The dude tweeted that he changed since the gamergate tweets

O7nUmzT.png

https://twitter.com/timsoret/status/874112392967274496

I will give him the benefit of the doubt .... but I will need more than 3 tweets to be sure that he REALLY changed

Y'all falling for these guys trying to tell you anything to sell their game
KuGsj.gif

Goddamn @ the power of videogames and its power to seduce you guys

What about that statement works for you? A 3rd party that: 1. you know nothing about and 2. has a direct financial motive to make this go away just vouched for a person that we have evidence was spewing garbage as recently as 2 months ago.

Phawx

I just played the demo of the game made awhile ago here:

https://timsoret.itch.io/the-last-night

Note: it won't work in Chrome, it needs Flash.

It's super short and mostly just highlights the draw-gun-and-fire mechanic from Flashback. The only "story" bit is drones seem to have the ability to read the thoughts of people and make Judge Dredd type of actions.

Altazor

Aw fuck. I was so looking forward to this one (as my previous post in the first page evidenced) and despite the guy's PR exercise I still feel it's a bit of an insincere apology.

Platy

Y'all falling for these guys trying to tell you anything to sell their game
KuGsj.gif

Goddamn @ the power of videogames and its power to seduce you guys

Never said I fell for it ... To the contrary, I said you need way more than just 3 tweets to clean that mess

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So the writer/producer (who posted here earlier) liked this tweet from a Gamergater account just a few hours ago:

https://twitter.com/mombot/status/874087165080121344

Now check out the linked article in that tweet, which by the way was written by another Gamergater Ian Miles Cheong (a prominent one):

But not everyone is happy about the attention his game is getting. Leading the brigade to ruin Soret’s reputation is Zoe Quinn, the queer feminist activist “game developer” who once lobbied for the United Nations to censor free speech on the Internet to prevent “cyberviolence.”
LOL
Also, "game developer" in scare quotes, classy
A professional victim by trade, Quinn even went so far as to accuse Soret of personally trying to ruin her life, and vowed to “never let go” of her hatred against anyone who opposes her ideology.

Gamers uninterested in or ignorant of Zoe Quinn’s manufactured drama shared their praise for The Last Night, instead.
Apparently having your life ruined and being constantly harassed for years is "manufactured drama".

This is all from the writer/producer of this game. And he "liked" this, along with other tweets complaining about SJWs, just a few hours ago.

But sure, they're totally reformed and distancing themselves from their GG past. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom