• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has one of the most positive depictions of Arabs I've seen in a video games

I never felt more represented in a videogame than when i first heard Sombra say "Asustame panteon!"

Favorite quote to this day

Too bad a lot of people don't understand it but god I love using it...

That and "did you mean to do that? " or "were you done talking?"

They are Egyptian I thought. Wouldn't that make them African?

wN_Iw7.gif

mreddie

Uh about that

She was part of the Los Muertos gang and then later joined Talon

Granted her methods seem to be for mostly good reasons

Mexico in OW does seem to not be the usual drugland it's depicted as, it's basically where their Elon Musk is at.

Kuksune

Yeah both Ana and Pharrah are really great characters. I love both of the designs and I use them very often in QP and comp.

It would be awesome if they could do Swedes a little better.

Ezalc

I'll preface this by saying that I don't play the game:

It's good to see that you found somebody who you feel is a great representation for you OP, as a Brazilian with just a passing knowledge of the heroes in the game I cannot agree.

Lucio is just another party centric dude from Rio de janeiro because that's basically the only city people from outside the country know exists. So they do pretty well with some characters but I don't feel like Lucio goes beyond stereotypes for Brasil. Just like Laura in SFV.

If anybody who is Brazilian and plays the game more wants to chime in, I'd be happy to be proven wrong in regards to his characterization because I don't know anything more about it besides the fact that he's a DJ.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That's great and all but it would been have much better if we had positive depiction of Arabs or Iran in game with actual story.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I love the diverse cast of overwatch and how it avoids the usual stereotypes. I just wish the community wasn't as toxic :(

Cocaloch

It's good to see that you found somebody who you feel is a great representation for you OP, as a Brazilian with just a passing knowledge of the heroes in the game I cannot agree.

Lucio is just another party centric dude from Rio de janeiro because that's basically the only city people from outside the country know exists. So they do pretty well with some characters but I don't feel like Lucio goes beyond stereotypes for Brasil. Just like Laura in SFV.

If anybody who is Brazilian and plays the game more wants to chime in, I'd be happy to be proven wrong in regards to his characterization because I don't know anything more about it besides the fact that he's a DJ.

Lucio is probably the worst stereotype in the game besides widowmaker.

That's great and all but it would been have much better if we had positive depiction of Arabs or Iran in game with actual story.

More games with diverse settings are always a good thing, but that's no reason to knock Overwatch, which does indeed have a story.

I remember there a discussion about an article a while back that said that the depiction of various cultures in Overwatch was bad, and one person in particular being extremely upset over the eye tattoo on the Amaris' eyes, claiming that it was an attempt of cherrypicking "only the cool stuff" out of the culture by mixing Ancient Egyptian and modern Arab.

What do you think about that, OP?

Misha

Banned

iirc he was originally made to be canadian (hence deadmau5ish and hockey skins). they didn't really change him enough to be specifically brazilian tbh
love the character but yeah

edit. apparently that was debunked at some point. weird that he's in the situation where a lot of people could take that as a serious theory

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think Lucio is such a great representation of Brazil. He has an American accent, is a DJ, has a soccer skin, and speaks no Portuguese. It's a parade of stereotypes and it lacks even the baseline Brazilian accent that could have at least given it a shade of legitimacy.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I don't think Lucio is such a great representation of Brazil. He has an American accent, is a DJ, has a soccer skin, and speaks no Portuguese. It's a parade of stereotypes and it lacks even the baseline Brazilian accent that could have at least given it a shade of legitimacy.
Iirc he was gonna be canadian until last minute, thats why he doesnt have an accent and thats why one of the alternate attires is a hockey uniform

I WISH he was more "Brazilian". As already said in the thread I can't really tell that he's Brazilian. Right now he's as Brazilian as, I don't know, Will Smith is.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
More games with diverse settings are always a good thing, but that's no reason to knock Overwatch, which does indeed have a story.
I'm talking about having single player so I can experiance the story rather than read about it.

Um no. Arab isn't a race or phenotype. It's actually a very offensive term

What? This is the very first time I've ever heard that, even Arabs I know refer to themselves as Arab.

It's a term used to refer to the Arabic-dominated cultural region of the Arabian peninsula, Egypt and the Mashriq+Levant region.

iirc he was originally made to be canadian (hence deadmau5ish and hockey skins). they didn't really change him enough to be specifically brazilian tbh
love the character but yeah

Yep. Lucio is Canadian they switched him up last minute.

gablekevin

Neo Member
What's the problem with Rashid?

Im not sure if there is. I have always heard nothing but good things about him and he was also first revealed to everyone at a gaming event in Dubai. Not only that but he is regarded as one of the best new characters in SFV which always helps.

"Diversity sells"

I guess that the more and better you represent different people while avoiding stereotypes and bad depictions, the more people that will buy your product.

Ezalc

Iirc he was gonna be canadian until last minute, thats why he doesnt have an accent and thats why one of the alternate attires is a hockey uniform

So he wasn't even made with the intention to be Brazilian and they just fell back on stereotypes? Wonderful.

Cocaloch

Lucio is not a stereotype.

Are you going to tell this Brazilian person that they are wrong?

McCree is the most stereotypical character.

He's just a stereotype everybody loves.

More than the French Femme Fatale?

PSqueak

Banned

Only in the NA dub, Latin American Spanish dub gives him the accent and Portuguese voice lines.

I assume others do too.

McCree is the most stereotypical character.

He's just a stereotype everybody loves.

This too!

Azoor

Never heard this before. Its my perspective from what I have learned in classes about the Middle East that speaking Arabic is what makes someone an Arab, not being from Saudi Arabia.

I'm an Arab and I've never heard anyone saying that the term "Arab" is offensive.

[...] speaking Arabic is what makes someone an Arab, not being from Saudi Arabia.

Not really, the other Northern African countries (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya) generally are not considered to be Arab, but Berber. Arabic also is a very wide-spread language among many Muslim countries, since it is used as the main language of the faith.

The term Arab has to do with the culture, which also was cemented historically and politically at this point, rather than based purely on language.

Arabs from Saudi Arabia are specifically referred to as Saudi Arabian or Saudis.

At least, to my knowledge.

Usobuko

Banned
Isn't it great to see yourself in media? I'm not Arab msyelf, but seeing a gay girl (Tracer) as the "main character" of such a big game makes me super happy.

Yup.

I watched wonder woman or big budget blockbuster to see how far diversity come along.

I'm particularly impressed with the native genocide and the brown guy would be actor but born into the wrong skin color lines.

As we all know, Arabs like myself didn't quite have the best of representations in video games in the past 20 years or so, dozens f FPS games portrayed them in a very horrible light and others have portrayed them in a very stereotypical light (looking at you SFV),
Are you talking about Rashid? I'm arab and I love him! I don't know what's stereotypical about him outside his awfully silly battle costume.

I'm big on Shaheen too, but Ana's definitely the best of the bunch. I've been really happy with the representation of us lately.

Top Bottom