• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has one of the most positive depictions of Arabs I've seen in a video games

Neoxon

I'm still waiting for my black nerdy guy who grew up in the hood. I relate to Static and Miles Morales a ton because of their background mirroring mine.

But yeah, the cast in overwatch is pretty damn good.
I'm still salty that we may not get Static in Injustice 2 & that Miles came so close to getting into UMvC3 (more so the former). At least Miles has a shot for MvCI via DLC.

Yousefb

wN_Iw7.gif
Wasn't expecting to see Adel Emam on neogaf today, haha. Awesome.

khaaan

I really love the diversity in the game too, I'm not Arab but the cast of Overwatch is the closest I've ever felt to being represented in a game. It makes me happy. It's definitely led to some interesting reactions like when people found out Tracer was gay or when Pharah's skin that looked like a hijab popped up.

A character like Genji or Hanzo being the LGBT rep would have been far more ballsy, but i guess that doesn't really matter. Whatever.

I was told Hanzo and Genji are a couple.

They're brothers. Though, with how often I see them shipped together you could be forgiven for thinking that.

Also, fun fact. They started off as the same character at one point.

Wasn't their original kit (stealthy ninja hacker) the og kit for Sombra before they shelved that idea fora while.

Aint nothing wrong with Rashid, what game you playing brah?

But yeah, Pharah and Ana are great. And...only because of this thread I learned they are related. I should get around to reading the comic - is it even any good?

That doesn't buffet my point. Gay Asian male characters are sexualized because gay characters in general are sexualized, or defined by their sexuality. But even then, depictions of these expressly gay Asian men is, as I said, uncommon.

Can you name five gay Asian male characters in American media?

So first you said asian males are desexualized. But then asian gay characters are sexualized. Do you see the problem here? when they are hetero they aren't sexualized but when they are gay they are.

Imo, just better to make one of the MANY white male characters gay. again, what's wrong with that? Why can't we do that instead? you're still silent on that note.

Now to your other comment....
well....there are barely any asian male characters in American media period...

-but Sulu's character recently.

-Dr. George Huang

-LLoyd Lee

-Zane Park

-Mr. Wolfe

-Elliot park

-there's this one kinda popular teen show, with this young asian kid thats gay, i cant think of the show tho cause I never watch it, just saw it on tv at the gym once.

there's 7.

Was trying to find the name of the character in that teen show.

Kenai

It's true, Ana and Pharah are pretty great

A few speed bumps aside (Lucio seeming more Canadian than Brazilian in the English version, Symmetra with the accent but no vocab ect), Overwatch has a very diverse line up that manages to retain cohesion and feel like "people" (and robots and whatnot) without meeting some unseen checklist. They could add a lot more, but they're probably trying harder than any big budget company out there, and I appreciate it.

Tracer being the "MC" and on the cover while being canonically LBGT is pretty incredible as well.

I was told Hanzo and Genji are a couple.

They are brothers and I'm pretty sure they dislike each other a lot.

Neoxon

Something about his design seems off to me, like they took inspiration from romanticized vision of Arabs rather than actual inspiration. I admit this is just a personal thing to me and cannot properly explain it.
I feel like most of our Rashid love is due to us playing the Cinematic Story Mode & his overall dialogue in the game. Give it a try.

eizarus

Banned
Isn't it great to see yourself in media? I'm not Arab msyelf, but seeing a gay girl (Tracer) as the "main character" of such a big game makes me super happy.
Reminds me of Riz Ahmed's thing about whenever his family saw a British-Asian (Subcontinent) they'd yell "Asian!" And get all excited at having representation. Speaking from experience, yes it is amazing.

KyleCross

Blizzard basically made a point to create a represented cast. Simple as that.

Yeah, but then they walk some of that shit back like Mei. Mei was designed along with Zarya to present females with varied body shapes only for them to change their minds and decide she's skinny and just wearing thick clothes.

Mendrox

Yeah, but then they walk some of that shit back like Mei. Mei was designed along with Zarya to present females with varied body shapes only for them to change their minds and decide she's skinny and just wearing thick clothes.

You mean according to the concept art? People still think she is thick and she gets represented like this in artwork and cosplay so I would say it still worked.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
when it comes to asian males. sure. cause they are never shown as masculine. Well they did once, but that dude died horribly.

A gay asian male as a main character is a unicorn that I question if I've even seen it. Can you off the tip of your tongue name one?

A gay asian male, especially with the subject matter we are talking about, I immediately thought of the gay aspects of Samurai culture.

A gay asian male as a main character is a unicorn that I question if I've even seen it. Can you off the tip of your tongue name one?

A gay asian male, especially with the subject matter we are talking about, I immediately thought of the gay aspects of Samurai culture.

I mean hey, let's not read posts.

Beartruck

As far as I can tell the only confirmed heterosexual characters in the game are Ana and Widowmaker, because Ana had a daughter (Pharah) and Widowmaker was at one point married.
Tobjorn is confirmed straight also, he has like ten kids. Reinhardt also travels with a young brunette woman, although considering his adherence to chivalric codes of old knights he might be chaste. It is also heavily implied that Mercy and Genji are an item.

Check the concept art. They didn't walk back anything.

KyleCross

You mean according to the concept art? People still think she is thick and she gets represented like this in artwork and cosplay so I would say it still worked.

Not when the community is toxic towards cosplayers and artists who portray her as such all because Blizzard decided not to commit all the way.
Check the concept art. They didn't walk back anything.
I'm aware of the concept art, but concept art is just that. Blizzard stated Mei was designed to represent a different body type in the game, but no she's just wearing thick clothes.

DerpHause

How can you be arab if you are born in egypt and don't speak arabic or have any interest in religions whatsoever?

Isn't Arabic the dominant language regardless of whether an individual there should happen to speak it? also, correct me if I'm wrong but I wasn't aware Arab had a specific religious meaning.

The best part about the whole cast is they don't really feel like check marks.

They feel like rounded characters who act that way because that's who they are.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I mean hey, let's not read posts.

I missed one post in a thread lol. I think that's understandable. The same way you had to edit your post one or two times is understandable.

I just don't see how it is much different for the character if they still retain their masculinity.

tonypark

Isn't Arabic the dominant language regardless of whether an individual there should happen to speak it? also, correct me if I'm wrong but I wasn't aware Arab had a specific religious meaning.

I mean in canada/quebec where the language is french a lot of people don't speak it. Maybe not in egypt i don't know much about this country as you can tell but i am curious to know more!

You are right about religions i just wanted to portrait an individual as neutral as possible.
So basically even if you don't speak arabic and are born in egypt you are considered african/arabic.

Sorry to derail the thread and thanks!

I missed one post in a thread lol. I think that's understandable. The same way you had to edit your post one or two times is understandable.

I just don't see how it is much different for the character if they still retain their masculinity.

I don't see why it's much different if I would prefer one of the many white male characters be gay instead.

mas8705

Goes to show how much game designers care about getting it right. Mind you that you could probably point to any game that has come out recently that got the idea of Arabs wrong, but with how things have been done as of late with the posted examples from Overwatch and Tekken, at least you can argue that it is indeed a step in the right direction.

Don't get the Rashid hate though... I didn't think he was tasteless (unless if him collecting gadgets was taken the wrong way). Hell, you can argue that he did give us the of the most catchiest themes we've had in a SF game we've had in a long while. I liked his character in the story mode, and I'd like to think he was well received when he was first revealed. Certainly didn't see articles of how Rashid was a poor depiction when he was first shown off.

Having Efie as some kind of Titanfall1-esque comms director would've been amazing. But I imagine it would've been a little distracting for the Orisa player 😂

From a gameplay perspective, they could have changed some of the feedback VO to be Efie e.g. 'Behind you!' or the low-health sounds.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I mean in canada/quebec where the language is french a lot of people don't speak it. Maybe not in egypt i don't know much about this country as you can tell but i am curious to know more!

You are right about religions i just wanted to portrait an individual as neutral as possible.
So basically even if you don't speak arabic and are born in egypt you are considered african/arabic.

Sorry to derail the thread and thanks!

Alright I'll try to explain.

Egyptian is the dominant language in Egypt. Egyptian is not its own language, but rather a dialect of Arabic. Egyptian is to Lebanese, for example, what American is to British. Same language, different dialect / slang / vocab / etc.

Egyptian literature and film are watched throughout the Arab world. Egyptian music is listened to across the Arab world. Egyptians are Arabs who happen to live in Africa.

Yazan

No, for sure but i mean if you are born in egypt you are technically affrican.

Is someone from France either French or European?

Quite frankly, the problem with your and many with similar perception is that it just proves the lack of knowledge about Africa, how culturally rich and diverse the continent is.

I can surprise you with the fact that there are Arabs in Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, all of North Africa and other places in the continent. They are African, Arabs and, I may add additonal complexity, usually Muslims.

How can you be arab if you are born in egypt and don't speak arabic or have any interest in religions whatsoever?

I am currently in Cairo. Trust me, they use Arabic. In matter of fact, Egypt is the largest provider of Arabic culture and Cairo is historically the cultural capital (at least until recently). Books, music, movies are, more often than not, produced in Egypt.

This

The advertising was such that people loved the cast before anyone ever even touched the game.

Tracer was the unofficial(official?) mascot before it was "revealed" that she was a lesbian/bisexual, and she's female, so she's easily the path of least resistance to the LGBT community.

A character like Genji or Hanzo being the LGBT rep would have been far more ballsy, but i guess that doesn't really matter. Whatever.

I wouldn't have it any other way, though. I kind of wish the chick who made Orisa was actually piloting the mech (like D.Va), but Doomfist is fun as fuck and I now understand why Terry Crews wouldn't have worked.

Wondering if there will be an LGBT male character representation in this game

Well not that bad if that stereotype character gets women together and fight together against harassment. Korea is big on Dva and I think even a politics candidat used her in her presentations.

Are they heavily into energy drinks, chips, and sponsorships?

Ducktail

Very true, OP! Glad to see this sort of diversity.

Too bad the same can't be said for South Americans. The only representative is actually Canadian and was changed to Brazilian just because.

Still waiting for positive peruvian representacion on the media :(

Also, stop making us living in the stone age ��������

But yeah, props to Blizz!

Top Bottom