• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

I've said this a few times it has come up, but it's important to be crystal clear that white nationalism very tangibly affects people's lives through political power.

I get where posters are coming from when they say that white nationalism is not a political stance and that they don't want to normalize it, but I cannot get behind any form of downplaying the connections between it and policy.

I think it's way healthier to drop any notion of politics involving a baseline of civility. It's not about nazis being too brutish for the Holy Debate Club of Politics, it's about horrible policies enabling and being put into place by horrible people with horrible ideologies for the purpose of oppressing people.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Did a NeoGAF mod really just associate Naziism with a legitimate political position?

Edit: I swear the poster was red when I went to post the above. My mistake!

I was - I have been demodded as a knee-jerk reaction to someone not understanding my point, or not being able to tolerate it. That's fine with me. Anyone who knows me or has read anything I've posted in the past knows that I am not in any way a Nazi sympathiser or apologist. I am, however, a big believer in justice, and that means that I'm going to be against vigilante violence, whether it's against Nazis or not, and whether it's by police, random bystanders or Batman himself.

I thought long and hard before using those words (and before posting in this thread at all), and I did it because what matters isn't necessarily what you or I think about the legitimacy of their position. What matters is that someone has set themselves up as judge, jury and potentially executor in this case. And whether they're right or not is irrelevant. Because if they can set themselves up in that way, even for a righteous cause, other people with differing viewpoints can and will as well. You hate Nazis, right? Of course you do. All right-thinking people do. But there are people who believe that other positions are just as bad. And while it's easy to say that these people are wrong, that doesn't take away from the fact that they believe they're not, with just as much fervour as you believe that Nazis are wrong. And if this punch is justified, then they can feel justified in taking the same approach.

This isn't moral relativism. I'm not saying at any level that these positions are equivalent. What I believe doesn't matter in any of this - what matters is the belief of the people throwing the punch, or swinging the axe, or pulling the trigger, or whatever action they believe is justified.

In fact the way you get rid of moral relativism from the equation is by saying that no, the decision is not one to be taken by individuals; it's to be taken by a firmly established law. Yes, I understand a lot of why this doesn't always happen in the US. That doesn't mean that the 'right' approach is to turn to vigilante violence, though. I can see why it's tempting, and I can understand why people do it and support it (and even why there's a mob reaction against everyone who rejects it). But I can't condone it.

And for everyone criticising me for using the phrase 'political position' to describe Nazism, would you not describe it as an extreme right-wing ideology? Because that's the language of politics. Placing it outside that sometimes is a dangerous move, because it treats it like it's some kind of special case, and it isn't. It's an example of the worst one of the most unpleasant extremes in politics has to offer, and treating it as something separate makes it more difficult to say that other positions in the same part of the political spectrum have many aspects that are just as bad.

Fisty

Does slugger have a patreon? Dude can throw em, I'd pay his phone bill for him this month

EDIT: bow out iapetus, once you put on the armband and talk about taking away people's human rights, you deserve to get knocked the fuck out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was - I have been demodded as a knee-jerk reaction to someone not understanding my point, or not being able to tolerate it. That's fine with me. Anyone who knows me or has read anything I've posted in the past knows that I am not in any way a Nazi sympathiser or apologist. I am, however, a big believer in justice, and that means that I'm going to be against vigilante violence, whether it's against Nazis or not, and whether it's by police, random bystanders or Batman himself.

I thought long and hard before using those words (and before posting in this thread at all), and I did it because what matters isn't necessarily what you or I think about the legitimacy of their position. What matters is that someone has set themselves up as judge, jury and potentially executor in this case. And whether they're right or not is irrelevant. Because if they can set themselves up in that way, even for a righteous cause, other people with differing viewpoints can and will as well. You hate Nazis, right? Of course you do. All right-thinking people do. But there are people who believe that other positions are just as bad. And while it's easy to say that these people are wrong, that doesn't take away from the fact that they believe they're not, with just as much fervour as you believe that Nazis are wrong. And if this punch is justified, then they can feel justified in taking the same approach.

This isn't moral relativism. I'm not saying at any level that these positions are equivalent. What I believe doesn't matter in any of this - what matters is the belief of the people throwing the punch, or swinging the axe, or pulling the trigger, or whatever action they believe is justified.

In fact the way you get rid of moral relativism from the equation is by saying that no, the decision is not one to be taken by individuals; it's to be taken by a firmly established law. Yes, I understand a lot of why this doesn't always happen in the US. That doesn't mean that the 'right' approach is to turn to vigilante violence, though. I can see why it's tempting, and I can understand why people do it and support it (and even why there's a mob reaction against everyone who rejects it). But I can't condone it.

And for everyone criticising me for using the phrase 'political position' to describe Nazism, would you not describe it as an extreme right-wing ideology? Because that's the language of politics. Placing it outside that sometimes is a dangerous move, because it treats it like it's some kind of special case, and it isn't. It's an example of the worst one of the most unpleasant extremes in politics has to offer, and treating it as something separate makes it more difficult to say that other positions in the same part of the political spectrum have many aspects that are just as bad.

SylTsDm.gif

Arkanius

Does the same hold true for the nazi's and racists that are violent to other people then? That stuff happens on the daily and nobody seems to bat an eye to it. In fact, eyes usually can't waste time to turn away fast enough. But lets knock out a few Nazi's and all of a sudden our Democratic state is in jeopardy.

Yes.
Hate speech should not be tolerated. At all.

Raguel

You just gonna keep digging that grave with Nazism as a political position huh? Another thing I find funny is your utter belief in the justice system in America. Are you blind to what has happened in human history or just gonna live high in your ivory tower?

ChryZ

Never going to condone this shit. If you think that violently assaulting someone solely for their political views - however reprehensible they might be - is okay, then you are not one of the good guys. Even the person who may or may not have been responsible for this happening is refusing to identify himself - because he believes that exactly the same will happen to him, at the hands of someone who thinks his political position is unacceptable.
You can't tolerate intolerance, because intolerance will not tolerate you. Fascism needs to be purged or it will purge you.

With a terrible as fuck post like this, you gonna dig to the other side of the earth.

Kasumin

Ehhh, this kind of action by antifa groups makes me uneasy.

BUT after decades of Republicans working to break down civil discourse in this country, this kind of thing is inevitable. Those on the right/neo-Nazis/nationalists/etc. think they can threaten others without reprisal. And, well... this is what reprisal looks like.

My stance on all this is "Oh man, things are going to get ugly" while holding my hands over my head. In the grand scheme of things, though? I agree with a lot of antifa's reasons for acting as they do. History has shown us that letting fascists go unchecked will lead to MUCH worse consequences later on.

Personally, I'm all for protecting civil discourse as much as possible so that society never gets to this point, but Republicans said "fuck that" and here we are :\

Edit: And as other people in this thread have pointed out, law enforcement and other authorities that are supposed to keep the peace are doing a terrible job of dealing with these kinds of issues. The inevitable result is that people are going to take matters into their own hands to protect themselves and others that they perceive as being threatened. It's an ugly situation and again why I just wish things had not gotten to this point. Again, the Republicans are largely to blame for this.

Feep

Banned
I don't technically disagree with the point that Nazism is a political position...but the concept that "you can't punch people for political differences" is nonsense. Any set of beliefs regarding how the rule of law should work can be classified as a political position. If you'd like to kill all Jews, and have that be in any way enshrined into the government or law, that's a political position.

And I will punch anyone who rolls on *those* politics.

So you have zero perspective from this non violent action against you, and furthermore our words have failed to make any difference to your viewpoint.

But we can totes just talk down Nazis right?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I can forgive someone being a real pacifist, I respect that. I think it's a mistake to be 100 percent against violence, but I get it and respect that opinion.

But you lose me when you say Nazism is a political position.

You can't equate the Nazi situation in Europe and America. In America it is perfectly legal to be a Nazi so they push as far as they can. They know that "moderates" will still have their backs as long as they don't break any laws in plain view. You also can't underestimate how much strength American Nazism gains by being tied in with institutional white supremacy. They killed a white woman on video and the focus was placed on Antifa groups doing property damage.

The people who benefit most from pitting white supremacists against useful members of society have protections in place, and that includes limiting avenues of opposition and framing all remaining methods as unlawful and uncivilized. This takes advantage of the majority's preference for a negative peace at no cost to themselves.

Welp..can't be friends now..😞

Enzom21

Hey you know what would be good? If you actually read the thread you're posting in.
He wasn't assaulted, he was harassing people trying to start a fight.

4UZfBQJ.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can sorta see his point. Nazism is an extreme, hateful, and vile... political ideology, but it is a political ideology nonetheless.

That said, context matters. "Nazism is a hateful political ideology that lead to genocide" is not the same thing as saying "we shouldn't ever punch people for their different political ideology", even if both sentences technically use the same two words. The former doesn't use the words as an euphemism for what nazism actually is, but the latter definitely does, putting it on the same level as a disagreement over tax policy.

And then there's that little fact that he was actually harassing people on the street so... yeah

Fisty

I don't technically disagree with the point that Nazism is a political position...but the concept that "you can't punch people for political differences" is nonsense. Any set of beliefs regarding how the rule of law should work can be classified as a political position. If you'd like to kill all Jews, and have that be in any way enshrined into the government or law, that's a political position.

And I will punch anyone who rolls on *those* politics.

gRk1uZm.gif

The entirety of WW2 was fought because of a difference in politics. Our great/grandparents killed people with guns and bombs because they were Nazis. They died to make sure Nazis were wiped off the face of the Earth.

Pretty sure even most of the right wing doesn't want to be associated with the nazis. You're going to be hard pressed to consider it a political position.

It's closer to representing one of the biggest human hate crime exterminations that was literally a cause of a world war.

D i Z

People have always had the potential to take matters into their own hands. People have felt justified to do heinous shit since the dawn of man. If you're saying that there is an explosion in incidents of people taking matters into their own hands, I don't think that you can qualify that in any measurable way. This "new" friction isn't new at all, and people have been defending themselves against it for generations whether you've been paying attention or not. The discomfort that people are feeling, that this is all so much more lawless now than before is false.

cdyhybrid

1) If you want to have the guy arrested for punching someone, fine. I'll still buy him a beer when he gets out.

2) If you trust law enforcement to actually hold white supremacists accountable you're very trusting.

ApharmdX

Banned
Because if they can set themselves up in that way, even for a righteous cause, other people with differing viewpoints can and will as well. You hate Nazis, right? Of course you do. All right-thinking people do. But there are people who believe that other positions are just as bad. And while it's easy to say that these people are wrong, that doesn't take away from the fact that they believe they're not, with just as much fervour as you believe that Nazis are wrong. And if this punch is justified, then they can feel justified in taking the same approach.

We'll cross that bridge if and when we get there. For now, there's a problem in America with rising fascism, one that isn't being dealt with by the rule of law. Advocating the genocide of Jews, LGBT, blacks, etc. isn't just some repugnant political position. It is a literal call to violence. Treating it like some political opinion is way off course, IMO.

What matters is that someone has set themselves up as judge, jury and potentially executor

Executioner.

And what they did was hit a nazi being a nazi in public.

Whether they're Nazis is absolutely relevant.

You're doing the same thing the other guy was trying to do, which is (whether you consciously recognize it or just outright refuse to acknowledge your actions) normalizing Nazi beliefs by using bullshit hypotheticals to draw parallels to other ideologies. Like, the non-genocidal ones.

Consistently saying "what I believe doesn't matter" and "whether they're right or not is irrelevant" doesn't even make any sense. Of course what you believe matters. Of course whether they're right or not is relevant. Why wouldn't it be? Why shouldn't it be? You can't say you're not advocating for moral relativism while specifically pushing a hypothetical narrative that relies on it.

You keep missing that the justification for applauding this move is 100% tied up in that relevance. You can't divorce "what you believe" from this scenario, nor should you be asked to because someone somewhere might apply the same action to a lesser cause and try (and fail at) blaming the positive reaction to this as their reasoning.

You get what I'm saying here? You're worried more about what might happen down the line if intolerance towards genocidal figures "goes mainstream."

It gets no more mainstream than World War II, yunno?

History means something. That symbol means something. And the response to the people willingly parading in public espousing the inhumane, genocidal ideas that symbol represents means something.

Trying to work up a scenario where it doesn't seems pointless, to me, beyond whatever mild utility as a sci-fi thought exercise it might have.

In the past it took entire nations engaging in widespread war and massive levels of destruction to take down nazi ideology run amok, so while I understand the dangers of letting vigilantism go unchecked, I'm not particularly miffed about this instance when considering that person showed far more restraint for that nazi than our own police do when "serving" and "protecting".

Dishwalla

Banned
When I was a kid Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck and Popeye the Sailor and Superman taught me that the best way to deal with nazis was to give them a stern punch. And now you want to walk that back? Hell naw. If people don't want to be punched they shouldn't be something like a fucking Nazi.

This is going to end with Evilore just lighting the theater on fire isn't it

I thought that's what Bish was accused of doing :p

(side talk: I still don't like a lot of the violence in that movie, particularly when they beat the Nazi soldier in Chapter 2; the tone and writing just seem at odds with the framing and filmmaking by Tarantino)

It's so strange that in this thread we've seen someone bring up Nazi toddlers, equivocate Naziism to just a political ideology that is disagreeable (which, maybe you can make that point semantically, but come on...), and saying using Nazi symbolism is nuanced. I mean, I can understand someone saying violence is never the answer, but the above is just bizarre and frightening.

knkng

When the guy approaches him, it looks like he puts his hand up and says "No, it's fine." LOL, dude knew he was about to get rocked!

I'm totally fine with this. I don't know what to say about "antifa" since I don't really know if that's even a thing (seems like just a general label at the moment, not an organized group). I do know that I hate anarchist-types, since they're usually morons who just destroy things with no purpose, but this is completely different. The guy was preaching hate while wearing a Nazi armband.

I don't think debating the method in this case is necessary, the guy deserved what he got. If they stuck around and stomped his skull in I would object, but a punch? Nah.

One doesn't involve mob justice.
We either live in a democratic state or we don't.

Gonna go with "don't," then. If the only option is to rely on institutions of state to repress white supremacy, the American government absolutely will not do it. (Other countries don't necessarily have white supremacist boot camps spread throughout their police forces but I'd still be skeptical about how reliably they would push back against this sort of thing.)

But here is the thing. Nazis want that. They wear it because they welcome the confrontation.

Nah. This has never been true and it's been demonstrated ever more clearly recently -- people come out in the open as white supremacists because they're jacked up on collective power and they think everyone's gonna support and assist them. Take away their physical power and the support of their community and most of them will wuss the fuck out. We've literally already seen this happen with the Nazi plan shifting from "hold giant intimidating rallies" to "pretend to hold rallies and not show up" after just one event, because they couldn't stand being outnumbered and at risk.

manfestival

so have these neo nazis been some sorta underground thing until the past year or something? I mean i hear stuff about this from time to time but it seems to be pretty blown out recently or is this just the media paying more attention to it now?

that was a clean KO. kinda wish I would see more of those in the UFC lol

Beefy

Executioner.

And what they did was hit a nazi being a nazi in public.

Whether they're Nazis is absolutely relevant.

You're doing the same thing the other guy was trying to do, which is (whether you consciously recognize it or just outright refuse to acknowledge your actions) normalizing Nazi beliefs by using bullshit hypotheticals to draw parallels to other ideologies. Like, the non-genocidal ones.

Consistently saying "what I believe doesn't matter" and "whether they're right or not is irrelevant" doesn't even make any sense. Of course what you believe matters. Of course whether they're right or not is relevant. Why wouldn't it be? Why shouldn't it be? You can't say you're not advocating for moral relativism while specifically pushing a hypothetical narrative that relies on it.

You keep missing that the justification for applauding this move is 100% tied up in that relevance. You can't divorce "what you believe" from this scenario, nor should you be asked to because someone somewhere might apply the same action to a lesser cause and try (and fail at) blaming the positive reaction to this as their reasoning.

You get what I'm saying here? You're worried more about what might happen down the line if intolerance towards genocidal figures "goes mainstream."

It gets no more mainstream than World War II, yunno?

History means something. That symbol means something. And the response to the people willingly parading in public espousing the inhumane, genocidal ideas that symbol represents means something.

Trying to work up a scenario where it doesn't seems pointless, to me, beyond whatever mild utility as a sci-fi thought exercise it might have.

^
This shit right here

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Are you going to answer the question? Is Nazism a far-right ideology? I mean, it's the dictionary fucking definition of the word.

It also does stated, "extreme racist or authoritarian views or behavior.".

You're correct in that people shouldn't be assault for political views, but Nazis views are intertwined with genocide, ethic cleansing, and more. These were the core foundations on which they were built on. These are not really political views anymore, but a fucking shitty ideology that needs to get off this planet for good. If the world had to go to war, because discussion did not work. I do think it's easy enough to draw a line between far right views and Nazis without trending on assaulting people for political views fairly easy.

Faustek

well at least when they get asked on twitter if they're ever actually punched a nazi, they can say yes now.

Oh yeah, someone asked that here as well.

Yepp, I have. Many, more than I can count and a majority of them always ganged up on me and threw the first punch or brought tools to the fight and just hunted for anyone not white.
Still happens that I see them around but without that liquid courage or the numbers they walk away.

1) If you want to have the guy arrested for punching someone, fine. I'll still buy him a beer when he gets out.

2) If you trust law enforcement to actually hold white supremacists accountable you're very trusting.

Has Charlottesville PD even been held accountable for being in a fucking coma yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom