• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that do stuff for the holidays

ronito

My kid was playing Cooking Mama the other day and noted that cooking mama was dressed in "christmasy" stuff. It was true.

I also think I remember Shenmue having Santas around on Christmas and stuff.

Outside of MMOs what other games do stuff like that?

In Terraria when you create worlds during this time of year you have 100% chance of there being a snow biome, enemies all have a chance to drop presents which contain special candy-cane colored walls and bricks or snow-globes, the snow-globes summon a snowman invasion which, when defeated, allows a Santa Claus NPC to spawn in your world who will sell you Santa costume pieces and Christmas Lights.

With LittleBigPlanet you could buy a Santa costume for your sack boy on Christmas as well.

In Animal Crossing the entire town gets covered in snow and there's a bunch of Christmas themed stuff... I know at least the dialogue is different sometimes and you can get gifts.

megalowho

RUU_0048.JPG

I always appreciated how Animal Crossing triggers unique events and items if you play on a holiday. Christmas gets plenty of love in that series.

Phantasy Star Online used to go all out for christmas.

They would have snow in the lobbies, you could give presents, there are a few christmas themed quests, and Saint Rappy might even pay you a visit. There was lots of other stuff too, I believe.

Orayn

SCHTHack's private PSO server
(Is that kosher to talk about?) has Christmas events up right now, just like the original had.

Chuckpebble

My 3 year old is pretty happy about the change in Bit.Trip Runner through Steam. Does that count though?

I think Homer wears a Santa Suit in Simpson's Hit & Run.

Gears of War (special events that don't actually have anything to do with the holidays, for now) and Gran Turismo 5, where you get christmas songs and a photo travel location set on christmas.

Azar

Winter in Animal Crossing was magical. Maybe it didn't have the impact for people who live in cold climates, but I was only used to getting 1-2 snowfalls a year. That first time you boot up Animal Crossing and see snow everywhere is pretty awesome.

Chuckpebble

Winter in Animal Crossing was magical. Maybe it didn't have the impact for people who live in cold climates, but I was only used to getting 1-2 snowfalls a year. That first time you boot up Animal Crossing and see snow everywhere is pretty awesome.

Nah, it was actually pretty neat how the seasons matched up to the view outside my window.

Ready 2 Rumble put Christmas Trees in the audience, I believe.

And of course both Sonic Adventure titles has Christmas features, but they were downloads via the in-game web browser.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Clockwork Knight had a special title screen on Valentine's Day and Christmas from what recall. First game I've ever seen use the internal clock to do something cool.

SamuraiX-

Final Fantasy XI.

Every major city was filled with Christmas decor. Half the players were in Santa hats and/or suits. The holiday cheer was great in that game.

Edit: Oh, I just realized you said outside of MMOs. Oh well.

KXoDP.jpg

WRVpF.jpg

YFd1R.jpg

0uKno.jpg
x5ODa.jpg

As was mentioned already, Worlds of WarCraft. Not just for Christmas, but every holiday. They go balls out too. Special quests, gear, pets, mounts, buffs, food, world events, bosses, decorative attire, gear, ect. I think WoW sets the standard.

Im surprised no one mentioned Calendar man in Arkham City.

There is an achievement for visiting him on every major holiday for each month of the year.

dammit someone did mention it!

Myriadis

The Simpsons Hit and Run Menu changes to a Christmas Theme on these days. There is also Valentine and Halloween, I think.

Lot of good ones posted. Animal Crossing is probably my favorite.

Demon's Souls!
Well, there's nothing that visually portrays Christmas, in the game, but Atlus is having a Pure White World Tendency event that started on 12/16, and will last until 1/2, for the holidays. PWWT events are much more useful than Pure Black.

Feel the Magic XX/XY had this. If you play the game on christmas day, the girl on the title screen is wearing a santa hat (I think) and says "Merry Christmas!" in a thick accent.

There was also a christmas mode in DKC3 and I think a minigame or something.

Myriadis

Man I want to replay that game.

I was quite surprised that Simpsons: Hit and Run is actually a good licensed game.I love that they really put many details from all these episodes in this game, I really enjoyed finding these I know, like that lemon tree. Downside for me was, that the three "open worlds" are rather linear.

Dave Long

Banned
As I noted in that other thread linked above, the Gears wear Santa hats in what seems like the now-ancient Heavy Gear II for PC at this time of year.

My kid was playing Cooking Mama the other day and noted that cooking mama was dressed in "christmasy" stuff. It was true.

I also think I remember Shenmue having Santas around on Christmas and stuff.

Outside of MMOs what other games do stuff like that?

Which Cooking Mama? I'll have to tell the girlfriend to check it out, I think she has 1 & 3.

Top Bottom