• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong on all counts. We've already been through most of this though, so I won't rehash it.

But in terms of maintenance - changing the oil regularly is a pain in the ass? What's your definition of ease of maintenance, taking your BMW to the dealer to have the cabin filter replaced?

from what I remember it is a little annoying in the RX8

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Leaving work today, I had the opportunity to see one of my dream cars in person. It had bugs and some rock chips on the nose, which was nice to see. No garage queen here, this thing is driven!. As a huge 911 fan, this is just about as good as it gets, IMO....

911 GT3 RS 4.0

20120405_183410.jpg

20120405_183430.jpg

20120405_183440.jpg

IMG_20120405_183549.jpg

Mouth watering good god.

Banglish

I own two! Mines are both turbo's and both have manual transmissions. Regrettably, I don't look after my 80 series as well as she deserves. She's banged and beaten but still starts within half turn of the key. I rarely service her, never washed nor cleaned inside. I know I'll pay for it in the long run, but it's a terrible habit just to jump in and go.

URWYh.jpg

Whats the gas like for both models?

N-Bomb

from what I remember it is a little annoying in the RX8

I admit that I have no experience with the RX-8, but speaking as the former owner of an FC, the only maintenance I had to do was change the oil a little more regularly than a piston engine.

The only really annoying thing about a 13B is that the spark plugs are REALLY HARD to reach and change properly. (unless this has changed)

What's this problem with the RX-8, anyway?

I admit that I have no experience with the RX-8, but speaking as the former owner of an FC, the only maintenance I had to do was change the oil a little more regularly than a piston engine.

The only really annoying thing about a 13B is that the spark plugs are REALLY HARD to reach and change properly. (unless this has changed)

What's this problem with the RX-8, anyway?

I cant really remember, I think it was either oil filter access or having to jack the car up a certain way to drain the oil properly

Ok, getting excited... talked to a local BMW enthusiast/car builder, he buys a lot of E30's and fixes them up as special projects to sell/keep. He said he's got an Alpine White with Cardinal Red leather interior '86 E30 with an S50 in it + 160k original miles on chassis, and that he can sort of 'build it to order' for me.

So Bilstein shocks, my choice of springs, S50 either stock or with some injectors, chip, and 3.5 MAF, ready to be BAR'd as a fully legal swap, and he was planning to put a full Hartge setup on it. Not sure if I want the amazing Hartge stuff on it, but it's an option. It'll have Euro bumpers on it too, which look HOT.

Really excited to have such a solid platform to potentially build off of. If he can have the car ready for me in the next 2 weeks and everything checks out, I definitely think I'll jump on it. Plus, Alpine White with red interior? YUM!

zbeeb

I own two! Mines are both turbo's and both have manual transmissions. Regrettably, I don't look after my 80 series as well as she deserves. She's banged and beaten but still starts within half turn of the key. I rarely service her, never washed nor cleaned inside. I know I'll pay for it in the long run, but it's a terrible habit just to jump in and go.

URWYh.jpg

Here's mine when I first got it almost two years ago!

EGD4t.jpg

Since then I've removed the ladder (but kept the tray), carpeted the boot floor and rear doors, put in sound system and a whole bunch of other stuff. I do servicing myself, starts flawlessly! But I never get to do as much as I'd like (time, money, etc). Its started whistling a bit now, I think the drive belts are due for replacement :)

Such a reliable car, even after 340000km. I just know its always gonna start.

Whats the gas like for both models?

The I've got the non-turbo 4.2 80 series and before the exhaust I was getting ~13L/100km. After the new exhaust I'm averaging around 12.5.

TylerD

Ok, getting excited... talked to a local BMW enthusiast/car builder, he buys a lot of E30's and fixes them up as special projects to sell/keep. He said he's got an Alpine White with Cardinal Red leather interior '86 E30 with an S50 in it + 160k original miles on chassis, and that he can sort of 'build it to order' for me.

So Bilstein shocks, my choice of springs, S50 either stock or with some injectors, chip, and 3.5 MAF, ready to be BAR'd as a fully legal swap, and he was planning to put a full Hartge setup on it. Not sure if I want the amazing Hartge stuff on it, but it's an option. It'll have Euro bumpers on it too, which look HOT.

Really excited to have such a solid platform to potentially build off of. If he can have the car ready for me in the next 2 weeks and everything checks out, I definitely think I'll jump on it. Plus, Alpine White with red interior? YUM!

Dude, that sounds awesome and pretty much exactly what you want. I hope it checks out for you.

N-Bomb

Good luck, you jackass. :p

What's he quoting you on all that? For mine, I've heard anywhere between $8000 and $15000 depending on depth.

Dude, that sounds awesome and pretty much exactly what you want. I hope it checks out for you.

Yes sir! We'll see how it goes. Should know in the next week.

Good luck, you jackass. :p

What's he quoting you on all that? For mine, I've heard anywhere between $8000 and $15000 depending on depth.

He said he can have it exactly as I want for about 9-10k. This guy is hardcore... he owns like 4-5 E30's (including an M3) and just goes crazy with working on them, acquiring them for people, fixing them up. Sounds really promising thus far.

You have any pics of his work? Ive never owned a beemer but an E30, I think would fit in well with my past honda cars.

Here are some of his cars he's owned/sold and his personal rides (note: these are pics of 7 different cars, yes, 7).

DSC05029.jpg

DSC04065-1.jpg

DSC04465.jpg

DSC04474.jpg

DSC04789.jpg

DSC04155.jpg

DSC04166.jpg

DSC03835.jpg

DSC03881.jpg

DSC03555.jpg

This guy seems to specialize in restoring and buying/selling mint cars. :|

sfedai0

Banned
Where are you located? We're here in SoCal. The red car on the very top is for sale right now I believe.

Explains why the cars look in great shape. Im all the way on the other side in VA. Which forum are you guys on? I will need to do some research on E30's, but Ive ran in to many of them at autoX when I owned an R. I have a S2k now, but am at a crossroads as to where I want to go now. Torn between getting a classic, or getting a modern luxury car.

Explains why the cars look in great shape. Im all the way on the other side in VA. Which forum are you guys on? I will need to do some research on E30's, but Ive ran in to many of them at autoX when I owned an R. I have a S2k now, but am at a crossroads as to where I want to go now. Torn between getting a classic, or getting a modern luxury car.

Keep the S2000, get an E30 to go along with it. I loved my S2000 and an E30 is around the same weight, RWD, but with four seats. Great daily driver.

I recommend R3vlimited, E30Tech, and Bimmerforums for research/looking at cars for sale.

You could also have a potential car shipped to you. CA cars are the best E30's to buy, hands down. No rust issues. Also, I believe YuriLowell on this forum has a lot of E30 experience and he's selling his E30. He could tell you even more than I could, that's for sure.

sfedai0

Banned
Keep the S2000, get an E30 to go along with it. I loved my S2000 and an E30 is around the same weight, RWD, but with four seats. Great daily driver.

I recommend R3vlimited, E30Tech, and Bimmerforums for research/looking at cars for sale.

You could also have a potential car shipped to you. CA cars are the best E30's to buy, hands down. No rust issues. Also, I believe YuriLowell on this forum has a lot of E30 experience and he's selling his E30. He could tell you even more than I could, that's for sure.

Thanks for the info. I would love to have a E30 as a DD. If you end up gettine one, post some pics.

Thanks for the info. I would love to have a E30 as a DD. If you end up gettine one, post some pics.

Oh I'll post them the same day I get it! Especially if I get a nice Alpine White with red interior and a delicious S50 swapped in.

IF you want any more info on E30's, ask away and I'll tell you what info I've dug up so far!

sfedai0

Banned
Oh I'll post them the same day I get it! Especially if I get a nice Alpine White with red interior and a delicious S50 swapped in.

IF you want any more info on E30's, ask away and I'll tell you what info I've dug up so far!

What are some known quirks? How reliable are they? What are popular mods? Is the S50 swap the equivalent of say, a B18c5 swap?

What are some known quirks? How reliable are they? What are popular mods? Is the S50 swap the equivalent of say, a B18c5 swap?

They have rust issues on certain areas, but other than that they don't seem to have major quirks (depending on engine). They're very reliable and well built, much like Hondas. Popular mods are suspension, engine bolt-ons, engine swaps, turbo/superchargers, rims, the usual.

S50 swap is way, way more potent than say a B18C5 swap. S50/S52 swap is more the equivalent of putting a K20A2/Z1 in a Civic or CRX. Extremely light car, tons of extra horsepower. Except it's even crazier than a K20, more like swapping in a J series J30 or J32: S50/S52 will make 225-250 whp with just boltons + tune, up to 260 whp with cams... and similar torque, so around 210-240 wtq depending on engine/bolt-ons. And that torque comes in very, very low: over 200+ lb/ft torque at 2k RPM on a decently modded S50/S52.

Or with just a $2-3k supercharger kit, you can make 300-340 whp on low boost with around 250-290 wtq, with that torque coming in around 2-3k RPM.

E30's weigh anywhere from 2500-2800~ lbs. So an E30 with S50/S52 is basically like an S2000 with a J32 TL 6-speed swapped in, but even less weight, 4 seats, and worse/similar aerodynamics.

Hows the gearbox on those? Im assming the M3's are rare as hell now.

I've actually driven only one E30 and it's kind of beat, so I personally don't know how good the gearbox is. Probably not as good as an S2000 gearbox (Which is my favorite ever), but I'm thinking it's better and more raw than modern BMW gearboxes, which are vague and boring.

And yep, the M3's go for $15-30k in good condition. And that S14 motor can be somewhat expensive to repair. If I were to grab one of those M3's, it'd be with an S52 in it.

Indeed, nice to see it driven. One of my brother's friends bought a RS recently and he said it's a garage queen. I guess if you have the money you can do whatever you want with it, but if I had the money I would buy a very nice car but drive the S out of it. What a Ferrari can't handle 200k miles? Challenge accepted!

nothing is better than a sports car being driven and seeing it not take 2 parking spot like a douche.

Forsete

Ordered a new Golf.
SnWrT.jpg

Should be a step up from my current Golf. :p

ik76k.jpg

Which is in perfect condition. I'm not sure if I have the heart to sell it on to some kid who will just run the shit out of it within a year or two. :( Might just keep it and keep tinkering with it.

My new Golf will be a hipster/worldcitizen/liberal approved environmental auto.
Golf VI TDI BMT.. delivery time sometime in august. The wait is killing me. :(

Jesus those older M3's are so badass. Keep us updated definitely want to see what you end up doing.

As soon as I know which E30 I'm jumping into, I'll update this thread. With lots and lots of pictures. And maybe a video clip. Hopefully in the next 10 days it'll happen!

N-Bomb

Ordered a new Golf.
SnWrT.jpg

Should be a step up from my current Golf. :p

ik76k.jpg

Which is in perfect condition. I'm not sure if I have the heart to sell it on to some kid who will just run the shit out of it within a year or two. :( Might just keep it and keep tinkering with it.

That's pretty sharp - one of the nicer cars I was in at the auto show this year. I'm still sad they never brought the Scirocco here, myself.

Halvie

Banned
Alpha how do you like the pilot super sports? Just got mine put on yesterday. Lot less road noise than the rs-3, and seems to handle just as well from the few miles I have put on them.

6906269592_17773f497a_c.jpg

ik76k.jpg

lol, where do you live?

I was in a special circumstance that forced me to purchase a 99 shitstang that I fucking hated from the get-go. I want something reliable and gas efficient. I'll take care of it for you!

Rear shock mounts on ALL E30's wear out prematurely. Surely by now they will be either replaced or need immediate replacing. Other than that, can't say anything else needs special attention other than the usual wear and tear items.

N-Bomb

Alright, got my xbla issues out of the way. (yes, I find Forza a good way to audition paintjob ideas)

Need some opinions on paint jobs. These are the two I'm considering (and a 3rd for the hell of it.) The hood stripes I'm thinking of ditching/changing, but the ones on the side I'd like to keep. Thoughts?

black-gold.jpg

red-white.jpg

A chrome-ish paint job is probably both too expensive and too ridonk to maintain, but it looks real purty.
reverse.jpg

Please no 'Paint it World Rally Blue!' comments - everyone and their aunt has got that on their STi. :)

Zyzyxxz

Alright, got my xbla issues out of the way. (yes, I find Forza a good way to audition paintjob ideas)
)

I'm digging the black one the most. Chrome/silver the least. Orange I like the body color but the wheels no. Maybe gold or black wheels? That's just for my taste preference though.

Need some opinions on paint jobs. These are the two I'm considering (and a 3rd for the hell of it.) The hood stripes I'm thinking of ditching/changing, but the ones on the side I'd like to keep. Thoughts?

SUBARU_IMPREZA_GC8V.JPG

This!! I'd also vote no stripes and stuff.

black-gold.jpg

Please no 'Paint it World Rally Blue!' comments - everyone and their aunt has got that on their STi. :)

You should do the stripes on this one in blue. It harkens back to that classic livery but also makes it completely unique.

BTW what year sti is that?

Man, I've been driving an automatic economy car for 6 years now. Really want to get back into a coupe. Thinking of saving up for a miata. My GF and I currently share a toyota matrix, and we're going to be in this city for at least 4 more years. Problem is, I don't make all that much as a grad student.

Maybe next year. /jealous

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Man, I've been driving an automatic economy car for 6 years now. Really want to get back into a coupe. Thinking of saving up for a miata. My GF and I currently share a toyota matrix, and we're going to be in this city for at least 4 more years. Problem is, I don't make all that much as a grad student.

Maybe next year. /jealous

If I was going to get a Miata, which makes sense for a lot of reasons, I would stop, get a Mini Cooper S vertible and then have something similar in some respects, but a trillion times more practical. Curious about the BMW 1 convertible too. Maybe when I have my midlife crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom