• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Any interesting tidbits in there?
They talk a bit about Spartan Ops and the creation of 343. It is a real laid back kind of podcast, just free flowing discussions going on. Giantbomb podcast format has always been that way, jokes are plenty and personalities shine.

The more of those MLG videos I watch the more I worry about Promethean vision, it looks like it killed off any sense of flow. People are literally waiting 2 seconds, throwing it up and then maybe moving forward if they see someone, if not they are waiting for it to reload and picking another direction to look, people are hardly moving around the map unless Promethean vision shows them the way.

On paper that sounds like it would make movement awesome, but just watching the videos it seems so slow and choppy.

Im also not sure im convinced that I like the gunplay, but thats a lot harder to tell over just a video, game looks fun though.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Can't wait to go into Halo 4 matchmaking and absolutely wreck kids for the first few weeks after launch.

This. It's the only week or two I can consistently go positive.

qwvz9.jpg

Crucio

So just finished Primordium. I took me a while. Lol.

I was curious about the Didact, some of you seem to be saying that he could be the Halo 4's main villain. Can someone elaborate as to why and how that could be possible?

Tawpgun

Totally luck.

You didn't respond to the intention argument. The fact that you equated shooting grenades out of the air to no scoping is dumbfounding.

Whether cross map rocketing or no scoping... you always intend to hit the target no matter how unlikely that may be.

Shooting grenades out of the air is random and unintentional.

I noticed that in a few cases, people are throwing up Promethean vision, having the reticle aimed for a headshot before turning the corner and having a pretty solid advantage going into a battle. I think someone here said they thought it would be more akin to Sonar, where it pulses out and shows you static images which update every few seconds. I feel that that would be a lot more balanced.

Knowing exactly where to shoot before I turn a corner with a sniper is going to be devastating.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You didn't respond to the intention argument. The fact that you equated shooting grenades out of the air to no scoping is dumbfounding.

Whether cross map rocketing or no scoping... you always intend to hit the target no matter how unlikely that may be.

Shooting grenades out of the air is random and unintentional.

Yep, I agree. Although I'm kind of indifferent as to whether grenade shooting is in Halo 4 or not. It's such a rare occurrence.

senador

Banned
Long range rockets, mostly luck. Shooting grenades, probably always luck. No scope? Sometimes luck, many times skill. I no scope on purpose plenty, and I'm not even they good.

Whatever, I'm drunk, what do I know?

Edit: I don't care if grenade shooting stays though. I could care less about it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I noticed that in a few cases, people are throwing up Promethean vision, having the reticle aimed for a headshot before turning the corner and having a pretty solid advantage going into a battle. I think someone here said they thought it would be more akin to Sonar, where it pulses out and shows you static images which update every few seconds. I feel that that would be a lot more balanced.

Knowing exactly where to shoot before I turn a corner with a sniper is going to be devastating.

I also hate the fact that you can just feather the button so you only use a little bit of the AA meter, but still know where enemies are.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The more of those MLG videos I watch the more I worry about Promethean vision, it looks like it killed off any sense of flow. People are literally waiting 2 seconds, throwing it up and then maybe moving forward if they see someone, if not they are waiting for it to reload and picking another direction to look, people are hardly moving around the map unless Promethean vision shows them the way.

On paper that sounds like it would make movement awesome, but just watching the videos it seems so slow and choppy.

Im also not sure im convinced that I like the gunplay, but thats a lot harder to tell over just a video, game looks fun though.

That's sorta how I feel about radar. It dictates player movement within radar range rather than letting players gain enemy positions organically. Sounds, teamwork, map movement, positioning.

Do we know what Promethen visions counter is? How about thrust? It will be interesting to see just how these playout when the game is released. Also, I feel confident that 343 will support H4 with balance updates and glitch fixing.

I also hate the fact that you can just feather the button so you only use a little bit of the AA meter, but still know where enemies are.

I really hope that gets fixed before the game comes out, and I really hope 343 does another event with the pro players, but throws more of the sandbox into the mix. As someone sitting on Youtube spotting these things before launch would be nice. I hope 343 uses the E3 gameplay to help balance stuff, and thats why I hope they have another similar event with the full sandbox put to scrutiny.

That's sorta how I feel about radar. It dictates player movement within radar range rather than letting players gain enemy positions organically. Sounds, teamwork, map movement, positioning.

Do we know what Promethen visions counter is? How about thrust? It will be interesting to see just how these playout when the game is released. Also, I feel confident that 343 will support H4 with balance updates and glitch fixing.

We dont even know if it has one, walshy asked the MP lead and he said he cant discuss it right now. My guess is alot of multiplayer stuff like AA's and perks and loadout weapons are still very much W.I.P i dont think what we seen is a complete build just a semi polished version of what was working solidly

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really hope that gets fixed before the game comes out, and I really hope 343 does another event with the pro players, but throws more of the sandbox into the mix. As someone sitting on Youtube spotting these things before launch would be nice. I hope 343 uses the E3 gameplay to help balance stuff, and thats why I hope they have another similar event with the full sandbox put to scrutiny.

I'm assuming this is all to help with balancing. Who even knows though.

Next thing they need to do is round up every jerk that abuses AAs in Reach, then send them beta codes. This is how balance can be achieved.

TheOddOne

Maby some of you guys might have missed this so I'll post it here:

Remember that the Pros had one single practice session that morning, then had to go to the event that evening and basically play and record. You're looking at their second or third games EVER, in some cases. Using PV with the kind of situational awareness those guys, and honestly, even half-assed players like me have, is a waste of another potential ability, IMO. However, it follows the pattern we see in testing, which is that initially, it's the easiest to "master" since it's incredibly obvious how it works. If they follow the pattern the way it's expressed in testing, they will VERY quickly move on to use different abilities.

As you rightly point out, almost all of the information PV is giving them is replicated in their motion tracker and for obvious reasons, Hologram "fools" PV.

I'm assuming this is all to help with balancing. Who even knows though.

Next thing they need to do is round up every jerk that abuses AAs in Reach, then send them beta codes. This is how balance can be achieved.

Did i ever mention how much i love to sit on the flag with AL and a group of friends throwing down Bubble shields... ?

A guy that I follow on many sites that plays piano and creates chiptune music just uploaded an improvisation that is extremely like the Halo ODST soundtrack. Give it a listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM4-soALGZM&feature=g-u-u

In a way I almost feel as though Radar allows some players to be more free, and play more aggressively, because they have a crutch and can run around the map, but tighten up as soon as they see red dots on the radar. Radar while annoying doesnt give pinpoint accuracy either (before Reach anyway), so it wasn't as bad as Promethean vision.

Promethean vision though like makes you less effective in combat, so I can imagine players camping with the thing when using it to avoid coming into battle while its active, and then pausing any time they don't know where people are to use it. Like it makes people more aggressive, but only in short spurts, I wonder if they can balance it in such a way that it aids player perception without making them want to pause and use it whenever they dont know where people are.

I also just want to reiterate how powerful Sniper + Promethean vision is going to be. Aim for head, turn corner while enemy doesn't know your there and instant head shot him the split second you go around the corner.

Tashi

We dont even know if it has one, walshy asked the MP lead and he said he cant discuss it right now. My guess is alot of multiplayer stuff like AA's and perks and loadout weapons are still very much W.I.P i dont think what we seen is a complete build just a semi polished version of what was working solidly

That's likely. I'm sure the E3 build is a few weeks old. I am impressed by just how polished the gameplay is at this point. I just wanna break this game apart lol.

Also, checking the MLG videos I noticed in one match that there were players getting a good amount of assists. Looks like the requirement bar has been lowered. Very pleased by that.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Did i ever mention how much i love to sit on the flag with AL and a group of friends throwing down Bubble shields... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76p_ncbffCE

Is it sad that every time I get in a vanilla match of Reach, my loadout is always armor lock? I absolutely hate using it, but you almost have to. It's practically guaranteed that the enemy team is using it, so if they're going to abuse it, you have no choice but to use it as well. Adaption in its purest form.

I hate non-TU Reach so much. Except for Invasion, which I'm actually starting to enjoy.

TheOddOne

A nice counter to PV would be an ability that lets you appear as a friendly player for 5 seconds.

loooooool
Killzone 2 had a cloaking perk which let the enemy see you as friendly – even the name above your head was one of the enemies. Had tons of fun just trolling with that perk.

Crucio

I now believe the Didact could definitely be a major player in Halo 4, my gut tells me however that, as FUD's Summum Malum article said, there is much greater evil held within or connected to Requiem.

It seems evident that something is either different about Bornstellar or he is perhaps turned himself into an AI, a Metriach type maybe. Was it said that Cryptum's could sustain someone for a 1000 centuries? We know that the Promethean Knights in Halo 4 are not Forerunner in origin but enhanced imitations. So who knows.

Its all very interesting and Primordium really connects a lot of dots. Wow!

Remember that the Pros had one single practice session that morning, then had to go to the event that evening and basically play and record. You're looking at their second or third games EVER, in some cases. Using PV with the kind of situational awareness those guys, and honestly, even half-assed players like me have, is a waste of another potential ability, IMO. However, it follows the pattern we see in testing, which is that initially, it's the easiest to "master" since it's incredibly obvious how it works. If they follow the pattern the way it's expressed in testing, they will VERY quickly move on to use different abilities.

As you rightly point out, almost all of the information PV is giving them is replicated in their motion tracker and for obvious reasons, Hologram "fools" PV.

Just saw your post OddOne, that makes me much less worried. Shame the post was on the end of the last page and I typed out my post about about PV without seeing it lol.

I still dont see how a player with Hologram is going to be able to counter Promethean vision. In some of the MLG footage guy went into PV before turning the corner and had reticle on head before going around corner, Guy with hologram wouldnt throw out hologram until he see's guy with PV by which point its too late. I mean I know its not supposed to be a hard counter, but I wonder if a hard counter does exist for those 'pre-shot' corner moments.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Killzone 2 had a cloaking perk which let the enemy see you as friendly – even the name above your head was one of the enemies. Had tons of fun just trolling with that perk.

Now I want to play some Killzone.

Probably my favorite shooter series outside of Halo.

Maby some of you guys might have missed this so I'll post it here:

Thanks for posting that Odd. I totally never saw that. :) Confirms my suspicions of the ability:

IMO PV isn't all that great... kind of feels like a waste of an AA slot. As a camo user the radar plays a huge role in my gameplay and learning to read it for intent, direction, etc. is a skill that can easily make up for most of PV's benefits. I actually feel that the Sensory Upgrade is MUCH more powerful as I've watched the videos closely of those using it and it looks to be exactly double radar range from 25-50 (if it is still under the typical 25 distance of past Halos). Sensory is not only just a support package, but it is always on and frees up the ability to use another AA like thrusters, camo, etc. Not exactly sure about increased sensitivity, but that is just an added bonus. If the radar didn't have elevation icons then PV would be worth a little more, but there are few instances where PV trumps plain radar even without Sensory. Pure distance, idle/camping players, better body language reading, and maybe a couple other minor things but that is pretty much all. Not enough to warrant an AA slot in my opinion. Active camo all the way for me. ;) God I hope that the radar jamming is still part of AC. :)

As a camo player I feel that I have a good sense of the power of information when playing... PV just doesn't really feel like it adds enough additional knowledge to trump any other AA's benefits.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
It's funny. On the rare occasions when I use PV during play tests (thrusters for life!) I find myself moving through the levels much faster. Moving constantly and quickly allows me to maximize the situational awareness advantage. I suspect the pros will use it differently once they have more than 7-8 games under their belt.

Hehehe... the scientists in Transformers: War for Cybertron had a Disguise ability where they showed up with a friendly name and everything. Only other scientists could really tell that it was a disguise if they had the healing rifle equipped because a health bar would not show up by their name.

CyReN

It's funny. On the rare occasions when I use PV during play tests (thrusters for life!) I find myself moving through the levels much faster. Moving constantly and quickly allows me to maximize the situational awareness advantage. I suspect the pros will use it differently once they have more than 7-8 games under their belt.

Anything suprise you off the bat that pros did right away in h4 compared to playtest at 343?

lybertyboy

Anything suprise you off the bat that that pros did right away in h4 compared to playtest at 343?

I was a little disappointed there wasn't more experimentation with weapons, but some folks do love sticking with one weapon.

Also, I'm shocked more of them wern't using thruster pack, but I suppose they just love shiny lights. :)

Ramirez

This just makes it sound even more powerful, heh.

kylej

Banned
Yeah, David looks good. Funny timing since I grabbed a random old EGM off the shelf and was reading it while on the john tonight. David was in an article along with T2, Neighbor, and some Bungie guys, where each offered a list of their top tips for Halo 3.

One of David's tips was to poop out a nade when you know you're going to die lol.

Tashi

Oh absolutely. And you'll use it differently after the game launches. The meta game will change throughout the years. I think PV, inherently is a top AA just because knowing where the enemies are is such a huge part of Halo. My fear is that on map where setups dominate, like Lockout (if one turns out to exist in H4) PV will cripple the team trying to break a setup. Also, no radar gametypes and PV could be ugly lol. Just speculating but I am curious to see how it will playout in the end.

lybertyboy

This just makes it sound even more powerful, heh.

It's definitely a YMMV sort of ability. It's super useful against players that don't use radar. If you're going against quality competition the delta of effectiveness (in my experience) shrinks.

It's definitely a YMMV sort of ability. It's super useful against players that don't use radar. If you're going against quality competition the delta of effectiveness (in my experience) shrinks.

I doubt you can answer this but.

Have we seen every option the loadouts have or was that build limited?
Majestic AND Crimson squad?

Havok

I was a little disappointed there wasn't more experimentation with weapons, but some folks do love sticking with one weapon.

Also, I'm shocked more of them wern't using thruster pack, but I suppose they just love shiny lights. :)
I think with something as iconic as the battle rifle, having even just the one guy there realizing that the Carbine and DMR wrecked faces and switching over to them was a victory.

I'm certainly on board with them now, it really was a great showing.

(also, late to the party on this discussion, but both Demon and Fury are super evocative of the color red to me; I'm not sure I could tell you which is which even after watching a full hour of gameplay)

lybertyboy

I doubt you can answer this but.

Have we seen every option the loadouts have or was that build limited?
Majestic AND Crimson squad?

There are plenty of sub-items (weapons, AA, mods) in the sandbox left to reveal, but what we showed at E3 are the main load out customizations options.

Not sure if we're going any more specific on Majestic and Crimson right now, but rest assured there's a good reason they both exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom