• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Bleepey

I saw Tom Hiddleston in central London near Leicester Square. I asked him if what films he would be in he said he knows nothing about Avengers 2 but he will be in Thor 2.

so I rewatched Thor yesterday, and liked it way more than I did the first time for some reason. Maybe it's the post-Avengers high or something. It was surprising how funny it was in a lot of places.

Another!

But the Falcon sucks...

I'm reading through the entire avengers run and got to the point where he gained membership.
Not only did he suck, but he was only there through a blatant affirmative action program, knew it, and whined about it the whole time until he bailed.

maybe the character gets better later but man, that was just awful

Slayven

I'm reading through the entire avengers run and got to the point where he gained membership.
Not only did he suck, but he was only there through a blatant affirmative action program, knew it, and whined about it the whole time until he bailed.

maybe the character gets better later but man, that was just awful

Rage should have got the spot.

I saw Tom Hiddleston in central London near Leicester Square. I asked him if what films he would be in he said he knows nothing about Avengers 2 but he will be in Thor 2.

"But aside from Marvel, I am about to start on this other project with-"
"OK Tom thanks!!!"

Hex

Banned
I have changed my opinion on a Guardians movie.
Now I actually really want one to get made.
So that Marvel will have its first total bomb and get it out of its system.

Khezu

Incoming Batman voice for Peter Quinn. Wonder who they'll get to play him. Bryan Cranston!

Greg Ellis should do Rocket's voice again.

The guy who does MC's voice in halo did a pretty good job in EMH, as long as they never show petes face they could reuse him, dude has a great voice.

Though still not sure a GoTG movie is a good idea.

Guardians of the Galaxy? I had to google that.

That's how you know it's awesome.

The guy who does MC's voice in halo did a pretty good job in EMH, as long as they never show petes face they could reuse him, dude has a great voice.

Though still not sure a GoTG movie is a good idea.

Yeah, Steve Downes gave Star-Lord a fantastic voice. Never realised it was Master Chief's voice actor, that's damn clever of them- the casting on EMH was pretty much flawless.

Quinn is where GotG lives or dies, I think. He'll be the character that grounds the film- well, unless they upgrade Nova from honourary member to full-on Guardian- so doing him justice is super important. Warlock too, but for different reasons. It's a fantastic opportunity to flesh out all those characters, really, make them bigger and better than ever.

Or they could fail. We'll see. I'm betting on success.

The whole comical run is great.

EDIT: the 1969 run isn't great however.

Yeah they're two different things entirely.

Anyway, I kinda hope it's popular enough to spawn an animated series as we've never had such an in-depth look into Cosmic Marvel since the brilliant, but woefully short-lived Silver Surfer cartoon.

Slayven

That's how you know it's awesome.

Yeah, Steve Downes gave Star-Lord a fantastic voice. Never realised it was Master Chief's voice actor, that's damn clever of them- the casting on EMH was pretty much flawless.

Quinn is where GotG lives or dies, I think. He'll be the character that grounds the film- well, unless they upgrade Nova from honourary member to full-on Guardian- so doing him justice is super important. Warlock too, but for different reasons. It's a fantastic opportunity to flesh out all those characters, really, make them bigger and better than ever.

Or they could fail. We'll see. I'm betting on success.

I disgree, if they nail Starlord and Rocket, the movie will be golden. Kids will love Rocket.

Dram

I wonder if they have Nova in the movie will it be a human member, or an alien? I could see them having an alien, Nova member and then having that character get killed in Avengers 2. That way they could have the power transferred to a human and then have an origin story from there.

I disgree, if they nail Starlord and Rocket, the movie will be golden. Kids will love Rocket.

I think them nailing Rocket is a given! Which I guess is very presumptuous of me, when they need to walk the line between some G-Force type shit and making him too violent, but I reckon Rocket is the easiest character for Marvel to pull off, personally. They're too in love with him to fuck it up.

Much like the alien Lanterns in Green Lantern were fairly sound, and it was Hal that was the problem, I think the dafter aspects of GotG should be A-OK, and it'll be the more, well, human parts that need special attention.

Hex

Banned
Yeah they're two different things entirely.

Anyway, I kinda hope it's popular enough to spawn an animated series as we've never had such an in-depth look into Cosmic Marvel since the brilliant, but woefully short-lived Silver Surfer cartoon.

An animated series could actually be very cool.
Live action movie, not so much.

Slayven

I nominated Count Abyss as the main villain. I love how zany he was.

141395-22391-count-abyss_large.jpg

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
How would they pull off the myriad different backstories in a GotG movie, though? Even if they trim down the more convoluted ones you've got to set up a whole bunch of characters, most of whom, unlike the Avengers, aren't really known to the general public, and then pull off whatever cosmic event makes up the main plot.

Unless they just go "Here's a talking raccoon with a gun, deal with it."

KevinCow

Banned
I just want Groot.

I know almost nothing about Groot beyond the EMH episode and a couple comic panels I've seen on the internet.

But he's a big tree and says nothing but, "I AM GROOT!" and that's enough to make him one of my favorite characters.

How would they pull off the myriad different backstories in a GotG movie, though? Even if they trim down the more convoluted ones you've got to set up a whole bunch of characters, most of whom, unlike the Avengers, aren't really known to the general public, and then pull off whatever cosmic event makes up the main plot.

Unless they just go "Here's a talking raccoon with a gun, deal with it."

Oh you just know they'll probably rip off the Han Solo intro scene for RR. :lol

Dram

Have the team form up because of Thanos maybe? He's a galactic conqueror, so they could set it up where he destroys their planets and they end up banding together to take him down. Then you could have the movie lead up to the Avengers 2.

Have the team form up because of Thanos maybe? He's a galactic conqueror, so they could set it up where he destroys their planets and they end up banding together to take him down. Then you could have the movie lead up to the Avengers 2.

Yeah, I see this being a way to tie in a potential Infinity Gauntlet adaptation. I can even see them using the same story and replace Doom with Loki (as the untrustworthy ally that's really out for himself)and Wolverine with Rocket (as the fierce little guy that's "not afraid to do what needs to be done").

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just want Groot.

I know almost nothing about Groot beyond the EMH episode and a couple comic panels I've seen on the internet.

But he's a big tree and says nothing but, "I AM GROOT!" and that's enough to make him one of my favorite characters.
Agreed.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I see this being a way to tie in a potential Infinity Gauntlet adaptation. I can even see them using the same story and replace Doom with Loki (as the untrustworthy ally that's really out for himself)and Wolverine with Rocket (as the fierce little guy that's "not afraid to do what needs to be done").

While I like the idea, I think by GOTG people are going to be a bit fed up with Loki appearing in half the Cinematic Universe. Then again, I dunno who else would fit; most of the other 'smart' villains would feel horribly out of place next to Thanos and Groot.

TDLink

Can anyone recommend some good Guardians of the Galaxy comic book story arc? I know very little about that team.

Start with Annihilation: Conquest, it sets up the modern GotG. If you want to just stick to essential GotG stuff you want to read the Annihilation: Conquest Prologue, Annihilation: Conquest Star-Lord mini-series, and main Annihilation: Conquest event. Immediately after that you can start on Guardians of the Galaxy #1 (2008). The entire run is great.

I am pretty sure that everyone who has actually read GotG is really excited about this...and everyone that isn't excited about it needs to read the comics. This series is grade A.

Blader

A slew of new story info and rumors on Marvel Phase II. They come from an insider but take with a grain of salt anyway, especially since some of these are still in the writing and even conceptual stage. Figured I'd post it anyway since it's all pretty interesting stuff.

Iron Man 3
-no Scarlett, no Sam Rockwell
-Pepper has a smaller role
-Ben Kingsley is playing a different version of the Mandarin (which is apparently a code name)
-SHIELD will still have a presence
-Val Kilmer was originally going to play a SHIELD agent who would essentially be the new Coulson (i.e. replacing the Stark/Coulson dynamic with a Kiss Kiss Bang Bang reunion) but that fell apart at the last minute), so Maria Hill will be filling that role instead
-mostly stuff we already know

Thor 2
-villains will be Executioner (Mads Mikkelson) and Enchantress (rumored frontrunners are Alice Eve and Brit Marling)
-Dr. Strange will be a major supporting role; he's an astrophysicist, colleague of Jane, that gets his hands on the Eye of Agamotto from Odin's vault
-Marvel wants Joel Edgerton for Strange but who knows how that'll go (probably won't pan out)
-Thor is kind of a king in the movie, or at least he's much more of a ruler
-entire cast of the first movie will return except for Kat Dennings

Captain America 2
-original story was to have Cap shake down a terrorist organization; this was going to double as a (re)introduction for the Punisher, and Steve and Castle's ideological clash was going to be a center point of the story. This whole plot was dropped though
-villains are Arnim Zola, Winter Soldier, and a Russian terror group that may be related to HYDRA
-film will be set in the present day; cast from the first movie could appear in flashbacks
-SHIELD will be make up most of the supporting cast: Fury, Hawkeye, Widow, and Sharon Carter (which Marvel wants to bring back Hayley Atwell for)

Ant-Man
-Edgar Wright will shoot the tag for Iron Man 3 this year; it'll involve Ant-Man and the IM3 character that Andy Lau was supposed to play (a new version of Radioactive Man; apparently a SHIELD agent rather than a villain)
-there's a push from Wright's camp to have Simon Pegg play Ant-Man
-will be Marvel's second 2014 film

The Avengers 2
-Downey will return, sounds like Whedon will too
-Marvel wants to add Ant-Man, Wasp, Dr. Strange, and either Black Panther or Luke Cage to the roster
-one of their 2015 films, but could slip into 2016

-Marvel wants another film for 2015, to come out before Avengers 2
-one idea is a Black Panther solo film, another has been a Heroes for Hire film
-third idea is another Hulk film, which would involve General Ross (which Marvel still wants William Hurt for) putting together a team led by Black Panther to take down Banner
-Whedon would co-write this script with Drew Goddard, who would direct the film
-would also involve the return of the Leader
-this is all extremely early though, still in the idea stage, they haven't put pen to paper yet

Source (starts around 21 min mark)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Simon Pegg as either Ant-Man would be pretty terrible. Dr Strange as an Avenger would be even weirder (yes I know, but early days core team), but the idea of him in the Thor movie is kinda cool. But thats what tips it all off as possibly bull, by extrapolating a wink/nod insertion from the first film into a fanfiction idea for the second.

Ant Man, Wasp, and Black Panther would be my ideal adds to Avengers 2 though, with Ms Marvel for the 3rd Marvel movie wave.

Did he say that? I know Pegg said he didn't want the role. Or maybe I have that backwards.

Well it's just there under the spoiler text, and it just sounds like crap. Wright is smart- he isn't Adam Sandler, he doesn't pick his mates for films 'coz they're his mates. He has the Cornetto trilogy for working with Pegg, and he's a huge nerd- I trust he knows how ill-fitting Pegg would be for the role. (Also, Pegg's American accent is pretty crap.)

I dunno if Edgar's said anything on the matter, but if I were him I wouldn't even entertain it :lol

Hex

Banned
If they did go through with that abortion of Doctor Strange I would single handedly make it my mission to destroy Marvel with every ounce of my being.
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Top Bottom