• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania LoS Mirror of Fate (3DS) Demo thread

BooJoh

The part where the boss throws a chupacabra at you looked awesome in 3D.

I thought that was a little cheesy myself, and a terribly cliche use of 3D, but as long as they don't do that kind of thing too often it's fine.

And I thought those were Flea Men... but I've just started the first LoS so I'm assuming they were renamed or are just similar in appearance.

Despite my first impressions, I've decided to get the game anyway, because as much as it doesn't feel like a Castlevania to me, I did enjoy my second and third playthroughs of the demo a little more, the bosses in particular, and I'm just a diehard fan of the series and if it's this or nothing, I suppose I'll take this.

But I will still be sorely disappointed if the whole game is as bland as the demo on the music front and there aren't any classic CV songs in there. I want me some Bloody Tears, Vampire Killer, and Beginning.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Played through the demo again and it solidified my opinion of the game; it's really good. I wonder how long is the game, because if it has enough content, it's gonna be a great addition to the 3DS library.

Played through the demo again and it solidified my opinion of the game; it's really good. I wonder how long is the game, because if it has enough content, it's gonna be a great addition to the 3DS library.

Game length, diversity of moves between the characters, and framerate are going to decide whether or not I buy it at full price. I'm definitely quite pleased with the demo now. Outside of the framerate and the less-than-stellar graphics (crappy hardware sort of inhibits what they can do), the combat and platforming is really working for me.

There's a play through of the game on youtube (search on Castlevania and then choose Today).

I would honestly like to know why so many posters seem to be enjoying this demo so much. I feel the entire game seems slow. floaty and unresponsive from the combat to the platforming. The enemies are boring and the colors all blend into one another. The sound literally blows out the 3ds speakers. It to me is just... Bad.

I only played the NES Castlevanias. I was born in well, that's an obvious ^

The series was not about exploration, or crazy attacks and catchy music and fast pacing - to me, at least.

It was about hunting Dracula. With a whip. The end.

Of course that's the extent if what I remember, the extent of my interest in this series. That this game captures the Bram Stoker-esque/European, gothic vampire atmosphere makes this an adventure I'm interested in.

I tuned in Castlevania for the premise of the above - hunt Dracula with my whip and for the feel of the above atmosphere/setting.

I very much enjoyed all of the elements the demo offered.

There aren't a lot of 3DS games if this calibre (to me) available, other than the RE games, so I'm not too picky, when its already slim pickings.

Also, use some F'n headphones ^_^ youll apprecate sound and the music more LOL

Gameplay videos of the full game are online. Judge yourselves.

I may do this since I don't have a 3DS. Or at least some of it at least. I'd like to see areas later in the game, hear music later in the game.

edit: yeah this looks really fucking awesome to me. except the axe toss animations. damn.

This might be the only time a mainline (apparently) Castlevania title came out and I had zero interest in it :(

Well, I got like 20+ years of quality out of CV. I guess that's a good run.

Please retact your words, Judgment was garbage, a disgrace, a failure in the biggest sense of the word. It deserved to be MORE panned than it was, and damn IGA deserved the boot for it.

That's why I don't "miss" him he made like 2 great games (Ecclesia and Aria), 3 good (Dawn, Harmony and Rebirth) 3 mediocre (Despair, Portrait and Lamment of Innocence) and 3 BAD (Jugment, Judgment and JUDGMENT.. Ok Curse of Darkness though.. and let's add nanobreaker.. for the lulz.. and remember Order of Shadows? me neither)

How in the world are you putting Harmony of Dissonance above Portrait of Ruin? Granted, I think PoR is the worst of the DS games and almost entirely forgettable, but it was not a bad game by any stretch. HoD was the IGAvania formula on complete autopilot. Nothing about it was creative or interesting.

LoI and CoD... they aren't good Castlevania games, and they were hugely disappointing to me, but I don't understand why, outside of shit level design, they're considered horrible games. (I've beaten LoI and only played a few hours of CoD.)

IGA deserved the boot from Konami for making a spinoff title that didn't turn out well? I dunno, I think that's kinda ridiculous.

And as for Order of Shadows... I actually played the hell out of that game when it came out :x Yeah, not a great Castlevania game. Actually, it's the very worst of them. (Good soundtrack, though.) I'm glad it's not canon.
But for like $5 I had fun with it anyway.

Yeah, pretty good point. I think the developers mentioned that Mirror of Fate was inspired by Castlevania III. I never played that one. I want to try it out.

I dunno how this game is in any way like Castlevania III (maybe the multiple playable characters?), but yes, you need to play CV3. It's the best of the NES titles (I love Simon's Quest, but from a design standpoint it's a mess), and I think it's one of the best CV games in the series. Fucking amazing soundtrack.

It's not a rumor, per se; when the game was originally shown off, it was titled Lords of Shadow, but it was secretly a Castlevania game the whole time. As the story goes, Konami had three potential Castlevania games as candidates for the next big 3D game in the series; Lords of Shadow was one, IGA's Alucard-starring game that was shown off at TGS 2008, and an unknown US-developed title. LoS managed beat out the other two, and the rest is stuttering history.

Somehow this is the first I've heard of this. Like I said above, I don't think LoI or CoD are great Castlevania games, but I honestly would have liked to see IGA give 3D another shot. He deserves at least that for the good games he's made.

And if I had been given the choice between IGAvania forever or fucking Kojima? IGAvania until I die.

Riddy

The demo is a total snooze fest. It's essentially LoS in side scrolling form, and the action doesn't translate well at all. The constant loading between areas and framerate drops do not help either.

This might be the only time a mainline (apparently) Castlevania title came out and I had zero interest in it :(

Well, I got like 20+ years of quality out of CV. I guess that's a good run.

How in the world are you putting Harmony of Dissonance above Portrait of Ruin?

Because HoD was awesome and Portrait of Ruin was mediocre at best.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Curse of Darkness' problem is just level design. Hector moves so, so slowly throughout the levels. It's so painful.

The music is ridic awesome x 11 though.

FatCat

Really enjoyed the demo despite the framerate and all the jaggies. Reconsidering this game now. Atmosphere is great.

Hope bosses are good in this.

Foffy

Banned
The series was not about exploration, or crazy attacks and catchy music and fast pacing - to me, at least.

It was about hunting Dracula. With a whip. The end.

Of course that's the extent if what I remember, the extent of my interest in this series. That this game captures the Bram Stoker-esque/European, gothic vampire atmosphere makes this an adventure I'm interested in.

I tuned in Castlevania for the premise of the above - hunt Dracula with my whip and for the feel of the above atmosphere/setting.
LOL

Thus far, this is the only game so far in the Lords of Shadow series to actually do that. The main meat and potatoes of the point of this series is actually very different than the original, and in my opinion, a far worse premise.

I enjoyed it and will be buying the full game.

As I want to play this on the bigger screen I need to buy the japanese version. Noticed that it will be released on eshop in Japan on 20th march.

Is the NA/EU versions not getting a DD release?

Originally I made a couple post about how disappointed I was, but after actually finishing the demo and accepted that it is a LOS game my opinion is changing. I would like to know the actual length and how much backtracking you can do. In the demo I did find 3 area where it told me to come back later. Honestly I didn't really notice frame rate issues, and in the end I think I'm going to keep my $30 preorder.

So the glowing moves are not able to be parried?

I must be playing a different game than people who say the combat/moves don't flow. They're not sluggish at all. Traversal is fast and fun.

jokkir

I thought the demo was pretty decent. It's not the DS Castlevania's but seem good in it's own right. The thing I disliked the most was the framerate. Hopefully that gets fixed >__>

kunonabi

I like the parrying mechanic a lot. Hipefully it's put to good use during the boss encounters.

the defensive options are all grossly overpowered so i don't see why it wouldn't. i have to give them props for not letting you cheese your way out of fall damage. it the platforming was actually well designed it would have been pretty similar to cv64.

I've played and completed the demo about five times now and seem to have a much better understanding of the mechanics. I'm finding the battle system to be really fun--it's not going to replace IGAvanias for me, but I'm enjoying it none the less. My birthday is coming up, so expect this, Luigi's Mansion and Etrian Odyssey will all get bought.

EDIT:Hopefully we get a new IGAvania in the future. I wouldn't mind a rebirth port on the eShop either.

Synless

If no one is going to make an OT, can't we just turn this thread into one? Is this the first Castlevania to not get an OT a week ahead of time? I have seen worse games get an OT faster than this.

I liked the demo okay. Visuals were better than I expected, framerate included (though I also played this after the horrific Sonic Racing demo, so maybe that lowered the bar too much). Controls weren't as tight/quick as Igavania, but not bad either and it's pretty easy to adjust to the slower pace.

My main complaint is the same as LoS though: shit soundtrack. I wish Konami woild take a SPD/Retro approach to these Castlevanias, make the games in the west but let Japan do the music. :/

Because HoD was awesome and Portrait of Ruin was mediocre at best.
Both were mediocre middle children. CotM, AoS, DoS and OoE were the legitimately great handheld Metroidvanias (as well as SotN PSP/Vita).

I'd still put PoR over HoD due to variety and level design though. HoD is easily the most bland and samey of all Igavanias imo.

Linkhero1

Just tried the demo today and turned it off after a few minutes. This isn't Castlevania. I do like the artstyle but everything else is meh. Most people already brought up all the issues I had with the demo itself so I'm not going to really discuss my problems with the game. If the series continues to be like this then I guess I'm done with Castlevania.

I liked the demo okay. Visuals were better than I expected, framerate included (though I also played this after the horrific Sonic Racing demo, so maybe that lowered the bar too much). Controls weren't as tight/quick as Igavania, but not bad either and it's pretty easy to adjust to the slower pace.

My main complaint is the same as LoS though: shit soundtrack. I wish Konami woild take a SPD/Retro approach to these Castlevanias, make the games in the west but let Japan do the music. :/

Both were mediocre middle children. CotM, AoS, DoS and OoE were the legitimately great handheld Metroidvanias (as well as SotN PSP/Vita).

I'd still put PoR over HoD due to variety and level design though. HoD is easily the most bland and samey of all Igavanias imo.

HoD is also addictive as hell and incredibly fun 4 player online.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think anyone was going to make an OT. So I put one up so people have a chance to talk about the release and reviews. I tried to make a little funny, but funny juices all dried up! :)

Tried the demo. The graphics and sound are amazing.

And everything else wasn't really what I was expecting. I would like to try it but maybe later.
The Castlevania I expect isn't here really.

Slime

Banned
Curse of Darkness' problem is just level design. Hector moves so, so slowly throughout the levels. It's so painful.

The music is ridic awesome x 11 though.

I love how Iga's response to Lament's repetitive level design was to make the levels even more repetitive, but 5 times bigger!

I don't even know how I finished that game. Came for the CV III references, and yeah, stayed for the music I guess.

Ahasverus

eh, you can have it. I like making OT's but I'm getting old. :p
taco-girl-meme-generator-why-not-both-6ec00b.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Your weird beard aside, that was a good write up. Starting to really want this now. The more I play the demo the more moves I discover (like jumping and then holding X or Y leads to cool combos on the ground as they hit).

That was my colleague. I did Luigi's Mansion Deux.

That was my colleague. I did Luigi's Mansion Deux.

Are you allowed to say if you recommend it(Luigi's) or not based on what you've played? Or is that a no-no?

*edit* Found your preview. Clearly you can't say either way since you didnt play enough. First time I've been to your site, but the reviews I read really line up with my own views on a bunch of games. Bookmarked.

wondermega

I'm not getting the hate on the graphics here. I think this game looks beautiful, one of the best looking games I've seen yet on the system and the 3D effects are icing on the cake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you allowed to say if you recommend it(Luigi's) or not based on what you've played? Or is that a no-no?

*edit* Found your preview. Clearly you can't say either way since you didnt play enough. First time I've been to your site, but the reviews I read really line up with my own views on a bunch of games. Bookmarked.

Cheers! And yeah, Luigi is a case of "I need to play more". What I did play though was very fun.

Top Bottom