• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Hardaway gives his opinion on John Amaechi

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsguy said:
I don't have a link for you guys yet, but Hardaway was on the Dan Le Batard radio show today and blatantly said I hate gay people, I'm a homophobe, etc. We just did a story on it and he was pretty harsh, it should be all over ESPN tomorrow.

If you interviewed 50% of sports athletes and you got honest responses you would get that exact same opinion. Not defending it. Just saying .

newsguy

Tamanon said:
My god....an athlete that hates gays.....

We are totally through the looking glass here people!

More like an athelete who's dumbshit enough to spew hate over the airwaves. Come the **** on people, if you're a biggot, at least keep that shit to yourself. I mean even people who aren't the public eye have common sense...

This is funny. I was on a gay sports website long ago once cruising for pictures of Jose Canseco to post as a joke and happened upon a picture of Hardaway's bare ass shining in the locker room. I quickly closed the browser.

Guzim said:
My favorite was Player 98.

:(

I downloaded a patch and replaced the ugly Player 98 with an even worse cybermap of Jordan. I think there was a PA patch that replaced the generic speech with another Jordan's name (Eddie?).

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
You know what this means. Secret gay scandal uncovered in 3 months yielding the new and awesome nickname Tim Hardagay!

Just when I was hoping this story would die ( my thoughts on the issue) it comes back again.

When I first read the title of this thread and saw the first few posts I thought "damn, ESPN conspiracy to sell more books". But after listening to that it's clear those are Tim's thoughts. If he was going to come out and say something negative he could have done it far more tastefully. Instead, he made perhaps the dumbest statement I've heard this year (not much competition for that award now that Shannon Sharp's not on every Sunday). Wow.

He could have said something along the lines of "I wouldn't feel comfortable around a gay player...etc" but instead he burned the whole damn farm

Karakand

http://thehaternation.blogspot.com/2007/02/tim-hardaway-froot-loop.html

The family of Jackie Robinson must be thrilled to read remarks such as this. You would hope that somebody who has probably faced racism and bigotry in his life would be a little bit more tolerant. An NBA player who directly benefited from those who (like Robinson, Woody Strode and Kenny Washington) crossed the color line would show be a little more open minded. Instead, Hardaway sounds like many of those players who refused to play with Robinson. Take the word "gay" in Hardaway's comments and replace it with "black." How would Hardaway feel if an NBA representative said that?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
This man shakes his head in shame...

Jackie_Robinson.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
More than half the states in this country have a ban on gay marriage yet folks are acting like this is some sort of unheard of commentary.

The guy's a bigot but I find it funny how the media is making this a big deal...

Take the word "gay" in Hardaway's comments and replace it with "black." How would Hardaway feel if an NBA representative said that?

Just like the Grey's fiasco, why do people equate sexual preference with race just because a minority is doing the gay-bashing?

Blackace

Cloudy said:
More than half the states in this country have a ban on gay marriage yet folks are acting like this is some sort of unheard of commentary.

The guy's a bigot but I find it funny how the media is making this a big deal...

they need to make it a big deal..

Cloudy said:
Just like the Grey's fiasco, why do people equate sexual preference with race just because a minority is doing the gay-bashing?

because there are many people out there who feel the same way about Tim Hardaway simply because he is black and i doubt he is okay with that.

Blackace

Cloudy said:

because there is hate involved.. you could put jew there and it would be the same.. hate..

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Cloudy said:

Being against gay marriage and blatantly hating gays is two different things.

Anyway, I was kind of surprised at what Tim said. Tim was always a respected PG when he played, and I'll never forget his and Zo's Heat vs. the dominant mid 90's Knick's. This will all come back and ruin his reputation and no apology is going to fix that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2766213

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

Blackace

I don't have anything against blacks, just wouldn't want my daughter marrying one

tony_soprano.jpg

i'm fine with black people, i just don't want my daughter to marry a gay man

as that would signify that my daughter is a moron

seanoff

What needs to happen is some hard ass NFL lineman to come out as gay.

It happened with a rugby league player here in Australia, while he was still playing and none of the other players uttered a word against him either publically or privately as far as i know. He was one of the hardest ****ers ever to play in one of the worlds hard sports (think NFL collisions without padding or helmets). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN9VUStB6zM

I'm also pretty sure the players said nothing on the field either for fear of injury if you look at that video above he was a master of the huge hit.

JJMann11

That's pretty funny because I remember hearing that Hardaway and Kendall Gill had a fling a few years ago. :lol I believe Hardaway used to put the highlights in Kendall's hair.

JJMann11 said:
That's pretty funny because I remember hearing that Hardaway and Kendall Gill had a fling a few years ago. :lol I believe Hardaway used to put the highlights in Kendall's hair.

I remember when Kendall Gill cameo'd on the nickelodeon show My Brother and Me.

"KENDAAAALLL GIIIIUHHHHL!!!!"

You would have thought he was Player 98.

Cloudy said:
I don't think there's much difference at all...
I respectfully disagree.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't those who are against gay marriage that are also hateful anti-gay bigots, but there are a number of reasons that someone could be against gay marriage, but not blatantly hate gay people. Not that I agree with these reasons, but for example:

1) Extends government reach into a private affair

2) Extends protected class distinction

3) Encourages marriages of convenience for financial benefits only

Now after all that, let me clarify my own position just so someone doesn't try to put words in my mouth. I couldn't care less about gay marriage one way or the other. Even though I have been moved reading stories of gay couples' marriages, and even though I am deeply happy for them, it just is not a priority for me. But I do hate the issue of gay marriage. I feel that most supporters of gay marriage could easily achieve their goals by simply changing their terms. I feel that most opponents of gay marriage are blowing the whole thing way out of proportion. I hate that the discord that surrounds the debate that makes rational discussion difficult. I hate the "you're either with us or against us" framing that equates being against gay marriage to "blatantly hating gays" and being for gay marriage as akin to wanting a return to Sodom and Gomorrah.

NWO

From the Official NBA thread:

http://www.courant.com/sports/custo...3755347.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports-custom

Retired Heat guard Tim Hardaway, asked on a Miami radio show how he would deal with a gay teammate in light of last week's disclosure by retired NBA center John Amaechi that he is gay, said he "hates gay people."

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Hardaway went on to tell host Dan Le Batard, a Miami Herald columnist: "I would really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room. But stuff like that is going on and there's a lot of other people I hear that are like that and still in the closet and don't want to come out of the closet, but you know I just leave that alone."

Asked what he would do if he had a gay teammate, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be traded or to be bought out of his contract.

"Something has to give," Hardaway said. "And I think the majority of players would ask for him to be traded or they would want to be traded. Or buy him out of his contract and just let him go."

Hardaway is the first NBA player - current or former - to make anti-gay statements since Amaechi's news came out.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Squirrel Killer said:
I respectfully disagree.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't those who are against gay marriage that are also hateful anti-gay bigots, but there are a number of reasons that someone could be against gay marriage, but not blatantly hate gay people. Not that I agree with these reasons, but for example:

Now after all that, let me clarify my own position just so someone doesn't try to put words in my mouth. I couldn't care less about gay marriage one way or the other. Even though I have been moved reading stories of gay couples' marriages, and even though I am deeply happy for them, it just is not a priority for me. But I do hate the issue of gay marriage. I feel that most supporters of gay marriage could easily achieve their goals by simply changing their terms. I feel that most opponents of gay marriage are blowing the whole thing way out of proportion. I hate that the discord that surrounds the debate that makes rational discussion difficult. I hate the "you're either with us or against us" framing that equates being against gay marriage to "blatantly hating gays" and being for gay marriage as akin to wanting a return to Sodom and Gomorrah.

Great post.

I was going to reply but I felt it would be better for a separate thread. However, you just summed it up perfectly.

C4Lukins

Cloudy said:
I don't think there's much difference at all...

I think there is a pretty big distinction there. Disagreeing with something someone does or their rights to do certain things is different from just straight out hating someone because of their sexual preference.

Squirrel Killer said:
I respectfully disagree.

unless I'm reading something wrong, those sound like reasons to be against marriage in general, not just "gay marriage".

His comments were biggoted, but at least they weren't contaminated with insipid political corectness. Hardaway spoke his mind and should be commended for it.

In other news, ESPN has become unwatchable for at least two weeks.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
lilraylewis said:
His comments were biggoted, but at least they weren't contaminated with insipid political corectness. Hardaway spoke his mind and should be commended for it.

In other news, ESPN has become unwatchable for at least two weeks.

So it's ok for people to be bigots as long as they're honest about it?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
David Stern came out today and said that Tim Hardaway is no longer allowed to represent the NBA in any of his public appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom