• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You da man, Krusenstern, thanks a bunch.

I've got a feeling Sony will wait a couple days before E3 and drop some info. Either that or some Pre-E3 "rumor" will wind up being more or less true, kinda like XBO conference.

Sony has the advantage of waiting for Microsoft to talk about it first, either during their press conference or (more likely) in the interviews directly after it.

Highly unlikely they'll talk about it before then.

Stuart444

Welcome to the New GAFers!

As for that poster, yeah people are starting their own mini-movements. The other day, I saw one on twitter that said (paraphrased): On June 24th (or sometime in late June), we should not connect our consoles online as a protest against always online DRM.

It was something like that but yeah. Stuff like this isn't needed and would be too late since we're just waiting for E3 now.

As for that poster, yeah people are starting their own mini-movements. The other day, I saw one on twitter that said (paraphrased): On June 24th (or sometime in late June), we should not connect our consoles online as a protest against always online DRM.

It was something like that but yeah. Stuff like this isn't needed and would be too late since we're just waiting for E3 now.
Another problem is that unless tons of people partake in it, sony and microsoft probably won't that someone didn't connect their consoles to the internet

Can anyone tell me what phase 2 is? Not been following the topic the last day or two, too busy with work.
New push on june 5th with #PS4NoDRM and #XBONEONENoDRM

Kane1345

Can anyone tell me what phase 2 is? Not been following the topic the last day or two, too busy with work.

Yup new push but before that mortimer said we would be getting in touch with as many sites as possible that have written articles about us already informing them of a second push on the 5th June and get some more exposure.

Baller also needs someone to look after the site on the 5th and keep it up to date when the US is asleep. Anyone?

EDIT: ah he's here :p

Zarrastro

Thank you Stuart. BTW Who is your Avatar? What anime is she from?

I think the snowball effect created these new movements everywhere. And SONY and MS have to clear all these points before E3. If they don't everything will become... kinda nasty. Have faith. We'll know by the end of E3

Stuart444

Thank you Stuart. BTW Who is your Avatar? What anime is she from?

I think the snowball effect created these new movements everywhere. And SONY and MS have to clear all these points before E3. If they don't everything will become... kinda nasty. Have faith. We'll know by the end of E3

Saten from A Certain Scientific Railgun.

I think one thing most people can agree on is that we'll know by the end of E3. If only because they want things cleared up so people who refuse to pre-order until they do can pre-order.

ruttyboy

Saten from A Certain Scientific Railgun.

I think one thing most people can agree on is that we'll know by the end of E3. If only because they want things cleared up so people who refuse to pre-order until they do can pre-order.

The only people who will clear things up are those who are not doing it and want the PR boost. If either side really mean to go on with this they're going to evade the issue until launch, they stand to gain nothing by standing up and saying, "Yes, we are screwing you over!, now please preorder our console!"

Stuart444

The only people who will clear things up are those who are not doing it and want the PR boost. If either side really mean to go on with this they're going to evade the issue until launch, they stand to gain nothing by standing up and saying, "Yes, we are screwing you over!, now please preorder our console!"

We know some of the game media will ask them about it, I don't think they will get away with saying "Wait til launch for our plans". They are only getting away with "Wait til E3" because E3 is very close now.

If any of them even try to say "Wait til launch for our plans" or anything similar, it would set off alarm bells and probably be reported by most gaming sites as a confirmation.

ruttyboy

We know some of the game media will ask them about it, I don't think they will get away with saying "Wait til launch for our plans". They are only getting away with "Wait til E3" because E3 is very close now.

If any of them even try to say "Wait til launch for our plans" or anything similar, it would set off alarm bells and probably be reported by most gaming sites as a confirmation.

True, but it still doesn't benefit them to confirm it. Remember how many people dismissed the rumours before the reveal 'because X wouldn't be so stupid', 'they're not going to throw away X million users' etc., those people are still around in the hardcore community and they will play on that by giving the impression that they might not do it right up until they do. Plus in the casual community they can trust people not to investigate properly until it is too late and confirming would mean those people are more likely to find out beforehand.

Also, they've clearly shown they have nothing to fear from the 'gaming press'.

Anyway, hopefully thanks to the superb efforts of people here it won't come to that!

RELIGHT

Banned
You know, it's so telling that IGN hasn't even mentioned the DRM movement yet. They are so moneyhatted at this point it's not even funny. Makes me miss the gamesages era....

MogCakes

Thanks. To add to this,

E3 seems to be the focal point where they'll talk more about this. A push on June 5th for both might just see this attempt to erode consumer rights on all sides shot down for the foreseeable future.

Let's hope so. Raising hell just before E3 starts will give them no excuses.

You know, it's so telling that IGN hasn't even mentioned the DRM movement yet. They are so moneyhatted at this point it's not even funny. Makes me miss the gamesages era....

From Kuchera to TB to some other advocates it's pretty clear they only look after their own interests. Best leave them behind and let them wallow in their bubbles.

RELIGHT

Banned
Let's hope so. Raising hell just before E3 starts will give them no excuses.

From Kuchera to TB to some other advocates it's pretty clear they only look after their own interests. Best leave them behind and let them wallow in their bubbles.

Yea it's sad. But they're on the wrong side of history and they will regret it.

I know there's already a topic on this particular article, but I feel it could be of some use in this one

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...kdown-is-a-sad-excuse-for-business-innovation

Excellent, added these.

"My Origins on fire!!!"
6ryj82F.gif

This makes an wonderful placeholder, thanks!

Amatsu

Neo Member
Thanks to everyone who welcomed all the new people. I tried to NoDRM my avatar but, not sure I did that great of a job. Ah well, I tried!

Anyway, I joined in 2010 but have lurked since that time. Considering GAF seems to be such a huge community, I contented myself with reading threads here and there but was otherwise comment-shy.

This prompted me to login for the first time in years. You're all awesome :)

Kane1345

Thanks to everyone who welcomed all the new people. I tried to NoDRM my avatar but, not sure I did that great of a job. Ah well, I tried!

Anyway, I joined in 2010 but have lurked since that time. Considering GAF seems to be such a huge community, I contented myself with reading threads here and there but was otherwise comment-shy.

This prompted me to login for the first time in years. You're all awesome :)

welcome back to the party!

Amatsu

Neo Member
Very, very good read, still reading the comment section atm.

It's nice to see how people in the industry see this.

Same thoughts here. I was glad to see varying opinions of the people who are actually involved in development and have jobs in the industry, even if they don't align with my own.

I like the opportunity to peek behind the curtain, since 95% of the time communication seems so calculated, rehearsed and tightly controlled by this industry.

Ok so here's the deal for me.... I'm working a bunch this weekend to try to get atleast the middle of next week free. I can access the internet from work, mostly on my phone. But only when things are calm (I work with autistic adults... so when they go to sleep it's totally fine for me to go online and just keep an ear out for them, assuming im done with all my paperwork, etc). Anyway, that's tmi... the main point is i'm kinda busy this weekend but not entirely.

So I guess I will open the floodgates now and will probably take all weekend to sift through it and decide who is doing what. So I wouldn't expect a response until Sunday at the earliest. Maybe monday during the day.

What we need is people willing to contact websites and let them know they we are planning on a second push on Wednesday at a time we will figure out today or tomorrow. You will need to go to the website to find the contact email/page.... but from there it's easy. Basically you will send an email like (let's pretend it's kotaku).

Hi Kotaku!

This is (your name) from the #PS4NoDRM campaign and we are ramping up for a second and final push on Wednesday, June 5th starting at __ GMT (and then maybe list the time for them if you know the country of the site's origin).

The movement so far has over 175+ media mentions in 20 different languages which has been incredibly helpful to us. We are grateful for the articles you did specifically and were hoping you could help us shine a light on this one final time.

If you have any further questions check out (OP Link) and (site link) or email me at (your email). And if you decide not to cover it again we still are really appreciative of the support you've given us so far.

Thanks,

Yourname

And then if they have questions for you that you know the answer to, answer them. If you don't refer them to me or baller (and maybe others, still hashing that out). I will give you our email addresses when letting you know which sites you will be responsible for.

If a ton of people decide to volunteer it will be really quick for everyone. Each site will take like 5 minutes tops... so if we can get it down to like 5 or less sites per person we're asking for less than a half hour of your time. We will start with the sites that have already covered it and if we have the manpower we will then move onto sites that haven't.

If you're lurking and would like to help, message me on twitter. If you're on the forum, PM me.

As each new page is created in this thread if i'm not around.... if someone could quote this just to get it on the current page I would be most appreciative.

Second order of business. I need a task force to try to contact all of the other movements like this one. Talk to folks on reddit, talk to the guy running the twitter account, talk to various videogame forums, talk to the dude running the facebook page... really any group of gamers that have taken to this but haven't necessarily been locked into here. Just to ask if they want to coordinate on this date and time.

Amatsu

Neo Member
Ok so here's the deal for me.... I'm working a bunch this weekend to try to get atleast the middle of next week free. I can access the internet from work, mostly on my phone. But only when things are calm (I work with autistic adults... so when they go to sleep it's totally fine for me to go online and just keep an ear out for them, assuming im done with all my paperwork, etc). Anyway, that's tmi... the main point is i'm kinda busy this weekend but not entirely.

So I guess I will open the floodgates now and will probably take all weekend to sift through it and decide who is doing what. So I wouldn't expect a response until Sunday at the earliest. Maybe monday during the day.

What we need is people willing to contact websites and let them know they we are planning on a second push on Wednesday at a time we will figure out today or tomorrow. You will need to go to the website to find the contact email/page.... but from there it's easy. Basically you will send an email like (let's pretend it's kotaku).

Hi Kotaku!

This is (your name) from the #PS4NoDRM campaign and we are ramping up for a second and final push on Wednesday, June 5th starting at __ GMT (and then maybe list the time for them if you know the country of the site's origin).

The movement so far has over 175+ media mentions in 20 different languages which has been incredibly helpful to us. We are grateful for the articles you did specifically and were hoping you could help us shine a light on this one final time.

If you have any further questions check out (OP Link) and (site link) or email me at (your email). And if you decide not to cover it again we still are really appreciative of the support you've given us so far.

Thanks,

Yourname

And then if they have questions for you that you know the answer to, answer them. If you don't refer them to me or baller (and maybe others, still hashing that out). I will give you our email addresses when letting you know which sites you will be responsible for.

If a ton of people decide to volunteer it will be really quick for everyone. Each site will take like 5 minutes tops... so if we can get it down to like 5 or less sites per person we're asking for less than a half hour of your time. We will start with the sites that have already covered it and if we have the manpower we will then move onto sites that haven't.

If you're lurking and would like to help, message me on twitter. If you're on the forum, PM me.

As each new page is created in this thread if i'm not around.... if someone could quote this just to get it on the current page I would be most appreciative.

Contact websites this weekend to let them know about our final push on Wednesday, June 5th? I'm down with that.

Third order of business. What time on wednesday should we start? 9AM eastern would be 2pm in the UK if i'm doing my math correctly. Does this make sense? And this it will build up as the timezones west of here (in the US)get up and to work.... and in europe it will be moving towards people getting out of work.

I think that time makes the most sense. Anyone have a better idea? I'm totally open to better ideas.

Stuart444

Third order of business. What time on wednesday should we start? 9AM eastern would be 2pm in the UK if i'm doing my math correctly. Does this make sense? And this it will build up as the timezones west of here (in the US)get up and to work.... and in europe it will be moving towards people getting out of work.

Sounds good enough to me

I think that time makes the most sense. Anyone have a better idea? I'm totally open to better ideas.

Those times sound good to me.

Kane1345

yeah 2pm UK time sounds good

I'm ok with this. We need a countdown.
t1370437200z0.png

Also, in the moment I'm trying to get some YouTube Let's Players/Commentators on board with this. Will inform you if I have something set.

kogasu

Sounds great. Pretty early for me heh but time isn't really a factor for me right now so it's fine.

Kane1345

So are we gonna start spreading these times around now on twitter or shall we wait for a website update when Baller has free time?

Sounds great. Pretty early for me heh but time isn't really a factor for me right now so it's fine.

Well I'm assuming it will start slow and ramp up. And it will need to be sustained. So europe gets home from work first and will really get it going a few hours after start time. The US gets home a few hours after that. There's a small lull but then europe is up first and will get it kicking again... then the US.... and then after that.... everyone is on a plane heading to E3 and we sit and wait for monday.

And if we hear good news on monday we go absolutely apeshit. If we hear bad news... there's still time before launch but we'll figure out then if we're just totally beaten or what.

So are we gonna start spreading these times around now on twitter or shall we wait for a website update when Baller has free time?

Wait for a website update. I will update the OP with the pertitent info since this time seems to make sense to people.

As for that disconnect your console thing.... good idea, difficult execution. You would need a fuckload of people to do it (for a week!?!?) for it to even make a blip on their radar. A couple thousand won't be noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom