• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the Final Fantasy 7 character models so bad?

Natetan

frankly i like the blocky models over the advent children models for especially cloud, aeris, and sephiroth. Aeris just looks like some homely whore in the new games. Trashy wavy hair or whatever. gross.

Better image.

Normal battle model:
Cloud-ffvii-battle.png

Final battle model:
Cloud-ffvii-special.png

jaxword

Wazzy is right, they made a more detailed battle model just for the ending.

Same with the FMV at the end, too, it is the only one detailed enough with speaking mouths.

Wazzy

Banned
That model for the detailed version show's how much better looking the clothing and details are. The belt and straps are clearer and actually have the image on the belt, his chest and arms are more toned and buff, his boots have the zipper, his metal plate on his shoulder is more detailed and his wrist band too. Then the images I posted show the details on his face.

Pretty cool.

That would make sense if that were the context...it gets used randomly all across FF6 almost as a blank "silly emotion" template.
Yes, it's done in a silly manner. My point is that the sprite in its animated form wasn't so ambiguous that you couldn't figure out the mannerism they were doing, and I mentioned the "shame on you finger wagging" context as a reference to how a Westerner could recognize it.

In Japanese context, it's probably something you would see in an anime where silly stuff is happening.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A bit off-topic, but I've never seen this image before:

oWeETq5.jpg

Apparently, they also played around with making Final Fantasy VII isometric without rendered backgrounds. Quite charming.

Holy shit, I've never seen that either... would kill for a brand new FF to look like that (and it's a shame all the 2D cellphone spinoffs of the FF series have such awful sub-RPGMaker-grade 2D artwork).

Peltz

One thing to keep in mind is Square didn't get their rep for making graphically impressive games until FF7 came out.

FFIV didn't look that great... FFVI was a good-looking game but nothing mindblowning.
Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetu 3 can each be considered the best looking game on SNES. Mindblowing in fact.

They definitely had a rep of making graphically impressive games on prior hardware.

Top Bottom