• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the Final Fantasy 7 character models so bad?

anaron

bitch-funny-funny-gif-gif-nostalgia-Favim.com-290768.gif

The pre-rendered backgrounds haven't aged at all tho

It was really the poor textures that bring out the low polys, even within battle where most of the textures you see are subtle uses of the gradient flood fill.

Fusebox

Banned
I can't join the pile-on. Imo the models were perfectly fine for the time and are still endearing today. I replayed the whole game recently on Vita and the way the models animate more than makes up for the low poly count.

vazel

Banned
ooh yeah, that's a looker for sure
Vagrant Story had amazing models and textures for a ps1 game. To me it's the best looking game on the ps1.

Vagrant Story was a confluence of excellence. Great visuals, great audio, great gameplay, and great writing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What a lot of people are forgetting is that FF7 was evolving rapidly while it was being made.

That's why there's such variety in the model quality.

Note that the SD models appear in some of the CGI fmvs, but in OTHER cutscenes they are realistically proportioned. In other words, the cutscene designers were told to make the characters fit the SD models at one point, but then later on other FMVs were changed to be more realistic.

It's clear the development of FF7's art assets was done by different teams learning the tech at different speeds. So the SD character models were probably decided early on and never changed.

I know things in development aren't necessarily done in a linear matter (compared to how the game progresses) but isn't discrepancy between SD and 'realistic' models a little weird when comparing when they appear? Ex. the 'realistic' models of the highwind scene you posted (Tifa) appearing relatively late in the game compared to Cloud landing on train with the SD model. If they decided it early on, I figure the early game potions would be the more realistic looking ones?

I think instead it was how important the cutscenes were. For example, the party hijacking the Shinra truck and motorcycle use the realistic models, but earlier on a more poverty model is used in a fmv:

HmVnDyz.png

ampere

Yeah waste of resources I guess. Needed them for those sweet sweet backgrounds ~ ~

http://i.imgur.com/lIi949H.gif[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/y8zFycu.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RGk6x85.gif[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Z70csPD.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/KUkhsg0.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Damn, I might need to replay FFVII. Those backgrounds still look great.

To the OP the models didn't look bad zoomed out on low res TV.

Natetan

The fort condor battle enemies look really really bad.

I think that's hiwntheybthkught 3d would look with the gourad shaded polygons. That's what Mario 64 looked like.

Plus the fact that those models had to be both way up close on the screen and waaay at the back. Snes era models always appeared the same size. Probably couldn't afford time or resources to make every character model in the game fully scalable that way. They game took long enough to develop as it is.

Character models aside, I think ffvii still looks and plays great. The 3d cut scenes have aged a lot better than some games from that era.

I don't think the choice of "chibi" models versus "realistic" models in FMV cutscenes had to do with changing standards during development, but how smoothly they wanted the video to connect with gameplay. Arriving on the train was Square's big reveal of their tech for allowing videos and gameplay to seamlessly merge, showing Cloud arriving in video form but then just without transition becoming a playable character. That and, as was said, the more realistic models were often chosen for cutscenes to make sure the emotions got across to the player or to just create an amazing storyline moment.

And are there people who really think FF3 (FFVI) wasn't graphically impressive for its time? Back in those days I was *amazed* at the "photorealism" in FFVI's backgrounds, and by the look of the snow during the intro. I saw stuff like this, and freaked:

Setzer.jpg
17-27062011_104015.png

I know things in development aren't necessarily done in a linear matter (compared to how the game progresses) but isn't discrepancy between SD and 'realistic' models a little weird when comparing when they appear? Ex. the 'realistic' models of the highwind scene you posted (Tifa) appearing relatively late in the game compared to Cloud landing on train with the SD model. If they decided it early on, I figure the early game potions would be the more realistic looking ones?

I think instead it was how important the cutscenes were. For example, the party hijacking the Shinra truck and motorcycle use the realistic models, but earlier on a more poverty model is used in a fmv:

HmVnDyz.png

Isn't it that they outsourced the "realistic" FMV, whereas Square Japan worked on the in-game low poly model FMV? Pretty sure Parasite Eve was outsourced as well ...

pantsmith

They looked like puppets, which I assumed was the point (easier to animate, easier to "imply" things without having to animate in any great detail). You already see what the characters look like in battle and CG, so seeing them in a semi-abstracted form just makes your imagination do the work.

Never bothered me, in fact I find it charming.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Isn't it that they outsourced the "realistic" FMV, whereas Square Japan worked on the in-game low poly model FMV? Pretty sure Parasite Eve was outsourced as well ...

Maybe? I have no idea to be honest! Did they not have anyone in house who could do it? Most of the insignificant FMVs are just the low poly models and fairly quick so it makes sense they did them themselves if they 'couldn't' handle doing the more realistic ones.

Spongebob

Banned
Yeah waste of resources I guess. Needed them for those sweet sweet backgrounds ~ ~

http://i.imgur.com/lIi949H.gif[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/y8zFycu.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RGk6x85.gif[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Z70csPD.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/KUkhsg0.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I would love for FF VII to be remade with HD backgrounds.

Natetan

I miss those backgrounds. It was much more cinematic than the third or first person view you are eternally stick with in games now.

Neff

They aren't bad, but it was Square's first attempt at a fast, functioning engine on PSone, and it's easy to forget how short-lived the early flirtation with Gouraud shading was on the format.

More than anything though, the characters had to be relatively simple to still be recognisable and visible from afar, as many of FFVII's screens were very long 'shots'.

I miss those backgrounds. It was much more cinematic than the third or first person view you are eternally stick with in games now.

...It is a third person view.

.....And how many movies do you know that have one (and exactly one) static camera angle per scene?

Love how they made all the CG low poly as well...tsk, tsk.
They didn't though:

What a lot of people are forgetting is that FF7 was evolving rapidly while it was being made.

That's why there's such variety in the model quality.

Note that the SD models appear in some of the CGI fmvs, but in OTHER cutscenes they are realistically proportioned. In other words, the cutscene designers were told to make the characters fit the SD models at one point, but then later on other FMVs were changed to be more realistic.

Cloud landing on train FMV:

cih19qc.jpg

w3ccoKI.gif

v693ml9.png

OMG spoilers
THiW2gs.jpg

It's clear the development of FF7's art assets was done by different teams learning the tech at different speeds. So the SD character models were probably decided early on and never changed.

People are saying they did it coz you can't see them from the top view and they're more detailed for FMV and Battles....coz that's no 100% true. These ugly Chibi's were used in cutscenes and FMV's too.
There seemed to be a real tug of war in style choice of FF7 and seeing the direction the series went in after it (except 9), I think Nomura's zealots won.

DSix

Banned
It was due to a memory limitation, they couldn't fit in too many complex models AND have fast map transitions (loading times were a whole new issue at that time), so they made it easier on the console by having simpler characters.

Later they overcame the limitation in FF8 and 9.

SkyOdin

I think some people clearly forget what the PS1 era looked like. It took a few years for PS1 games to have semi-decent 3D models, and even the good ones haven't really aged well. Games like Metal Gear Solid and Vagrant Story were outliers created years into the PS1's lifespan after developers had learned a lot of the tricks to making good-looking 3D games.

Early 3D games looked pretty terrible as a rule. Final Fantasy 7 is far from the worst-looking 3D RPG of its day. Some of the Wild ARMS games, for example, had pretty awful 3D battle graphics.

In my opinion though, I think FF7's graphics have aged better than FF8's. FF8 tried too hard for realism when the technology just wasn't there to support it.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
One factor that many people in this thread seem to forget is that the story sections in FF7 often had many participants. It's not uncommon to have 5 people on screen or more.

Also, the game had no loadings, which was a big deal at the time, especially since this game was in the center of the PS1 vs N64 debates. It would preload the next screen when you walked in an area of the screen. Considering this and how the previous FFs had cute characters in towns, the decision to keep models minimal made sense.

Clott

Post more of the per-rendered back drops please. I know nostalgia plays a hand but the atmosphere is insane in this game, the closest thing I have experienced the last few years has been Catherine and Persona 4.

I guess it may be a very personal thing, as different settings jive with other differently, but those worlds felt so real to me, it's a combination of great aesthetics and a really strong OST aaaaaaaaand writing!

Foolworm

The graphics, specifically the backgrounds has aged beautifully

If someone were to make an RPG in this style but in real time, characters and all (would it even be possible?), I would buy it. There is a richness to the visuals that is almost like a super-crisp oil painting, if you get my drift.

jaxword

You answered your own question: it wasn't done in a linear fashion.

Note that the blocky models were used in the Cloud subconscious FMV, despite that being an extremely important part.

And the blocky Cloud jumping on train is one of the FIRST fmvs in the game. If it was importance that determined it, an early thing (for reviewers and other short-attention span players) like that would be very important.

People are saying they did it coz you can't see them from the top view and they're more detailed for FMV and Battles....coz that's no 100% true. These ugly Chibi's were used in cutscenes and FMV's too.
There seemed to be a real tug of war in style choice of FF7 and seeing the direction the series went in after it (except 9), I think Nomura's zealots won.

You're wrong.

Nomura was doing chibi work originally, i.e. FF6. The realistic vision was Sakaguchi. He wanted FF to turn to a more realistic style; FF7 took place in New York at one point.

I suppose not all of it; but I distinctly remember CG Barrett with square block hands.

Yeah, they did for some or maybe most of them. I can't remember if Barrett ever had a non blocky cg model.

Barret is blocky in the escape-from-the-falling-plate FMV, because that's the model on the prerendered background.

He's realistically rendered in at least two fmvs : The motorcycle fmv and the Weapons Awake fmv.

Natetan

I think people forget that the norm was that there was a map view model and a battle view model and that square had been making
Games that way for a decade. I think ffx was the first game where there wasn't a difference, and since the whole game is over the shoulder, the character model doesn't have to scale as drastically as in ffvii

tkscz

Might have something to do with not knowing the hardware the very moment you use it. If any generation showed how vastly better their last games looked from their starting, gen 5 was it.

GAMERG0D

I think people forget that the norm was that there was a map view model and a battle view model and that square had been making
Games that way for a decade. I think ffx was the first game where there wasn't a difference, and since the whole game is over the shoulder, the character model doesn't have to scale as drastically as in ffvii
In FF X there are models used for cutscenes then there are models used for the map and battles. Sometimes 'cutscenes' that are short use the battle/map model. Notice the face.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
My guess for the "ugly" polygon models used in the maps would be that it made the transition between 2D chibi sprites of the Snes titles and full blow 3D models a lot more smooth and natural.

You need to have some sense of cohesion. Otherwise it would probably be a tad alienating for some.

Top Bottom