• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2013 (Jun 24 - Jun 30)

less than 300K in Japan is huge now? People were asking about a title that would turn VITA around and make it sell more than 6 mil LT in Japan then Freedom Wars was brought up.

If it is as "huge" as Soul Sacrifice, that's not gonna make VITA sell more than 6 mil in Japan.

What was the last game published by SCEJ that's huge in Japan? GT4?

I don't think any one game can make a system sell more than 6M.

Also, GT5.

MightyKAC

PS3 Terraria sales surpassed 100K. The total is the number of physical copies shipped + download version sold.
https://twitter.com/spikechunsoft/status/352652183512170496

The Google Translate version of this tweet is kinda awesome.

Spike Chunsoft said:
Unit sales of PS3 "Teraria" surpassed 100,000! Thank you to everyone for digging master. During delivery continue, trial version you can play the full version of the tutorial also combined sales number of the DL version and domestic shipments of PKG version number sale! ※ Please try the person of non-experience http://www. spike-Chunsoft .co.jp / terraria /

less than 300K in Japan is huge now? People were asking about a title that would turn VITA around and make it sell more than 6 mil LT in Japan then
soul sacrifice has a very grotesque looking art style that limits it's appeal, this is not a problem for freedom wars. I also highly doubt that any one title can "save" any console.

What's Toukidan? Is it like Dynasty Warriors, arena hack-slash game or more like Ninja Gaiden, linear levels with hack-slash?

Any chance it'll be localized?

extralite

Have a feeling that Yokai Watch might become L5s biggest bomba since Ninokuni PS3.

I hope not... the demo was really impressive. Beautiful and very technically competent, one of the best looking games on 3DS. Recreates the style and atmosphere of 2D games like Mother or Pokemon and brings it to life in 3D. Great use of 3D for exploration and touch mechanics for battles. It feels simple yet deep.

One of the rare cases where a demo instantly convinced me to buy a game. Level 5 utilize the 3DS features better than even Nintendo.

Thoraxes

EO Untold success.

Wonder how/if this will impact future games in the series, cause it looks like the experiment paid off.

BriBri

I hope not... the demo was really impressive. Beautiful and very technically competent, one of the best looking games on 3DS. Recreates the style and atmosphere of 2D games like Mother or Pokemon and brings it to life in 3D. Great use of 3D for exploration and touch mechanics for battles. It feels simple yet deep.

One of the rare cases where a demo instantly convinced me to buy a game. Level 5 utilize the 3DS features better than even Nintendo.
I'm glad you used the Mother and Pokémon comparisons. I see both in it too. Such an amazing charming game (from the demo). Really hard to predict sales for it. I guess anywhere between Girls RPG and Fantasy Life!

Wow 30k+ for Vita and Toki doing 120k+. Seems like Vita can be a viable handheld in Japan if they release some software for it.

I'm looking forward to how GT6 does on the PS3 this year.

Expected, but they've announced 3DS bundles to go with Pokémon X and Y.

Will the Pokémon Centre edition contribute to the recorded sales, do we know? I mean, I have to assume it'll be heavily limited anyway, but I was just wondering if it was tracked.

saichi

I don't think any one game can make a system sell more than 6M.

Also, GT5.

If VITA continues receiving all these games that sell 300K, it will not sell over 6 mil in Japan based on current rend. It needs a game changer, like a MH on PSP game changer. Freedom Wars will not be that title as SCEJ never made one huge title in Japan.

And no, GT5 was not huge. GT is no longer "huge" in Japan after the performance of GT PSP and GT5.

soul sacrifice has a very grotesque looking art style that limits it's appeal, this is not a problem for freedom wars. I also highly doubt that any one title can "save" any console.

nobody said a title would "save" VITA. Selling over 6 mil doesn't mean VITA is saved.
You are the one who suggested Freedom Wars should be a "huge game" which I disagree with unless the definition of "huge game" is selling 300K.

sense

If VITA continues receiving all these games that sell 300K, it will not sell over 6 mil in Japan based on current rend. It needs a game changer, like a MH on PSP game changer. Freedom Wars will not be that title as SCEJ never made one huge title in Japan.

And no, GT5 was not huge. GT is no longer "huge" in Japan after the performance of GT PSP and GT5.

nobody said a title would "save" VITA. Selling over 6 mil doesn't mean VITA is saved.
You are the one who suggested Freedom Wars should be a "huge game" which I disagree with unless the definition of "huge game" is selling 300K.

i am amazed at how confident you are about freedom wars that you don't even give the remote possibility that it could become a huge ip. i bet all big ips just started off selling millions. i am not saying freedom wars will be a huge ip but just dismissing it isn't exactly an opinion especially when we haven't seen much about the game. but then again a lot of people deal in absolutes in here.

vita is dead. there is just no coming back
MH is 3ds now. there is no way it is coming on vita.
SCEJ never made a huge title. GT wasn't huge the last time around so it is no longer huge no matter what they do.

Introducing:

nEUG3oY.jpg

hiska-kun

Retailers first impressions:

Azalyn:

[PS3] Earth Force Defense 4 - 35 copies sold (sold out)
[360] Earth Force Defense 4 -5 copies sold (sold out)
The game is very popular. Great increase from last entry.

Toriko 3DS - zzzzz they sold decently the last entry but this one has not hype

Tadapon:

Earth Force Defens 4 - 90% sellthrough in this chain of stores
Toriko - 30% selltrhough (low numbers)

Osakaking:

Earth Force Defense 4 sold the half of the total shipment.

Yosipooh:

Earth Force Defense 4 better than expected, and sold out today.
The other releases slow.
Still selling well toukiden.

i am amazed at how confident you are about freedom wars that you don't even give the remote possibility that it could become a huge ip. i bet all big ips just started off selling millions. i am not saying freedom wars will be a huge ip but just dismissing it isn't exactly an opinion especially when we haven't seen much about the game. but then again a lot of people deal in absolutes in here.

vita is dead. there is just no coming back
MH is 3ds now. there is no way it is coming on vita.
SCEJ never made a huge title. GT wasn't huge the last time around so it is no longer huge no matter what they do.

Well I don't think people are saying dead anymroe (that's for the west), but based on the current lineup that honestly isn't going to change because no one is going to make a huge title for Vita with its current sales worldwide it's not going to end up becoming a decent selling platform (although 6 million is lot more decent than I would have said a year ago).

As for MH on Vita, anyone who is still delusional enough to be riding this train as some kind of hope really needs to go sit down and realize that it's just not happening. Oh and shocking news but Bioshock Vita is never coming out.

Expected, but they've announced 3DS bundles to go with Pokémon X and Y.

Will the Pokémon Centre edition contribute to the recorded sales, do we know? I mean, I have to assume it'll be heavily limited anyway, but I was just wondering if it was tracked.

No, and it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

sense

Well I don't think people are saying dead anymroe (that's for the west), but based on the current lineup that honestly isn't going to change because no one is going to make a huge title for Vita with its current sales worldwide it's not going to end up becoming a decent selling platform (although 6 million is lot more decent than I would have said a year ago).

As for MH on Vita, anyone who is still delusional enough to be riding this train as some kind of hope really needs to go sit down and realize that it's just not happening. Oh and shocking news but Bioshock Vita is never coming out.

wait did i mention anything about bioshock vita? i am not sure if that reply is meant for me. yea i highly doubt bioshock vita is coming out either and probably never even existed i am still not convinced that MH for vita is not happening but whatever i am not going to discuss it any further until we get any kind of info for the next game after 4 anyways so don't attack me!

Wynnebeck

Banned

I'm not going to say MH is coming to Vita because there is no chance of that happening at the moment but I do agree with the sentiment that people need to stop speaking in so many absolutes when nobody here has any background to make any in the first place. This was the same thread that was hyping Wii U when it was first announced and now look at where we are 8 months later.

DaBoss

I'm not going to say MH is coming to Vita because there is no chance of that happening at the moment but I do agree with the sentiment that people need to stop speaking in so many absolutes when nobody here has any background to make any in the first place. This was the same thread that was hyping Wii U when it was first announced and now look at where we are 8 months later.

So when is it OK to speak in absolutes? There is always a chance of anything happening. But if the odds are pretty much 99(.999999999)% in favor of something happening, is it OK to speak in absolutes?

If someone speaks in absolutes, the worst that can happen is that they're wrong. Is that going to affect them in anyway? May affect the perception of their predictions or something, but we've got many people who guess the numbers wrong in prediction leagues in the MC threads and the NPD threads. It may lead to stifled discussions though, but is there any point in discussing very unlikely possibilities?

I was a lurker when the Wii U released, but there was very little hyping in the MC threads. It pretty much was exactly like this thread where people were happy with the sales of the Wii U in the beginning, but that soon fell off a cliff. That other thread where "Why wouldn't the Wii U dominate Japan thread?" was what was "hyping" up the Wii U's performance in Japan.

If Nintendo can ship enough copies, yes.

Odds are they won't -- gotta push those downloads.

Oh yea...they have to make enough carts for the international release.

Takao

Banned
I don´t get how a game sell over 200k on the PS3 and the hardware does not get some push. Is everyone in Japan waiting for the PS4 or what? And no, consoles still sell in Japan.

[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (Bandai Namco Games) {2006.11.11} - 30.051 / 146.199
[PS3] Gundam Musou (Bandai Namco Games) {2007.03.01} - 171.032 / 312.674
[PS3] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.12.18} - 161.623 / 328.167
[PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki: Lost War Chronicles (Bandai Namco Games) {2009.09.03} - 159.408 / 259.245
[PS3] Gundam Musou 3 (Bandai Namco Games) {2010.12.16} - 190.293 / 349.112
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.12.01} - 345.053 / 504.040
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.03.08} - 54.029 / 83.291
[PS3] Gundam Breaker (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.27} - 170.020 / NEW

If you don't own a PS3, and you like Gundam games ...

sense

So when is it OK to speak in absolutes? There is always a chance of anything happening. But if the odds are pretty much 99(.999999999)% in favor of something happening, is it OK to speak in absolutes?

If someone speaks in absolutes, the worst that can happen is that they're wrong. Is that going to affect them in anyway? May affect the perception of their predictions or something, but we've got many people who guess the numbers wrong in prediction leagues in the MC threads and the NPD threads. It may lead to stifled discussions though, but is there any point in discussing very unlikely possibilities?

I was a lurker when the Wii U released, but there was very little hyping in the MC threads. It pretty much was exactly like this thread where people were happy with the sales of the Wii U in the beginning, but that soon fell off a cliff. That other thread where "Why wouldn't the Wii U dominate Japan thread?" was what was "hyping" up the Wii U's performance in Japan.

Oh yea...they have to make enough carts for the international release.

well is it 99% that mh is not coming to vita? the fact of the matter is capcom is third party and they have not come out and said anything along the lines of it possibly not ever coming to vita. like i said it is unlikely at the moment and most probably capcom will stick to its established userbase but it sure as hell is not 99% if thats what you mean to say regarding it.

whatever this is going to escalate to something i don't intend it to. it just bugs me when people speak in absolutes and i was just trying to make a point. i rather people just make predictions and discuss possible outcomes not just say something is not happening or is happening as an absolute unless you know something that the rest don't.

saichi

It has as big a chance as I win lottery tomorrow which means nothing. We are back to this discussion of "there is always a chance for something to happen and you can never say never". There is a chance for anything to happen in the world. Some people even won lottery twice but the chance for it to happen is super slim.

Have you checked how many franchise since 2000 went on to sell over 1 million in Japan when the first game in the franchise not selling 500K? One. Inazuma Eleven. Luigi's Mansion would be the second one if Luigi's Mansion 3DS hit 1 mil.

Have you checked how many franchise since 2000 went on to sell over 1 million in Japan when the first game in the franchise selling between 500K-1mil? Two. MHP and KH which KH2 was barely over 1 mil.

So what reason would I have to expect a title from a studio that never proved they can produce big hit in Japan to become a huge game? The chance for it to catch lightening in the bottle is as good as any other title released on VITA which is slim to none. Yes, no one expected MHP to blow up like it did but it doesn't mean every title would be a hopeful to become a huge hit.

Eeesh, that is a worrying start for Escha & Logy. Weird, too, because the game apparently did real well in the review circuit. I figured it would at least do Ayesha numbers.

I wonder if franchise fatigue is setting in again after the burst of activity during the Arland years. Koei ain't gonna be happy if the numbers slump...

sense

It has as big a chance as I win lottery tomorrow which means nothing. We are back to this discussion of "there is always a chance for something to happen and you can never say never". There is a chance for anything to happen in the world. Some people even won lottery twice but the chance for it to happen is super slim.

Have you checked how many franchise since 2000 went on to sell over 1 million in Japan when the first game in the franchise not selling 500K? One. Inazuma Eleven. Luigi's Mansion would be the second one if Luigi's Mansion 3DS hit 1 mil.

Have you checked how many franchise since 2000 went on to sell over 1 million in Japan when the first game in the franchise selling between 500K-1mil? Two. MHP and KH which KH2 was barely over 1 mil.

So what reason would I have to expect a title from a studio that never proved they can produce big hit in Japan to become a huge game? The chance for it to catch lightening in the bottle is as good as any other title released on VITA which is slim to none. Yes, no one expected MHP to blow up like it did but it doesn't mean every title would be a hopeful to become a huge hit.

i give up... you are right. carry on folks. don't mind me

I think it's somewhat ridiculous to expect people to preface every single one of their opinions with a disclaimer that it is not 100%. Obviously no one can tell the future and we are just guessing.

Oh and while obviously many people overestimated the appeal that NSMBU+MH3U+DQX would have I don't think there were many people in this thread at least expecting the system to take off into the sky with the looming bad 3rd party support on the wall last year.

And just for fun here is an absolute, neither Wii U nor Vita will reach half of their predecessors LTD.

So, this is weird. The Wii U has no instore demos in Japan that I am aware of, however, on the following dates, people will be able to try out Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U. You also get a phone strap for participating.

July 20th - 12PM - 7PM
Yodobashi Camera, Umeda, Osaka

July 28th - 1PM - 6PM
Wonder Goo, Utsunomiya, Tochigi

August 3rd - 1PM - 6PM
Tsutaya, Kawasaki, Kanagawa

August 3rd - 1PM - 5PM
EdOn, Nagoya, Aichi

August 8th - 5PM - 9PM
Tsutaya, Fukuoka, Fukoka

Maybe it'll sell 100 copies? :p

Link: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201307/05036156.html

L Thammy

So, this is weird. The Wii U has no instore demos in Japan that I am aware of, however, on the following dates, people will be able to try out Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U. You also get a phone strap for participating.

This is Sega's doing, right? It's still weird, but if it's Nintendo using a Yakuza demo instead of their other games... why.

This is Sega's doing, right? It's still weird, but if it's Nintendo using a Yakuza demo instead of their other games... why.

Not much else to promote, there will be 2 weeks after yakuza for demoing w101 stuff then another month after that for wwhd. The rest of the stuff in that time is random western localisations.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea to get more of a presence for the system as advertising starts to increase.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode

I don't think I can handle all that digi in one title.

Road

Famitsu 2013 First Half Market
(2012-12-31~2013-06-30; physical retail only)

Hardware: ¥66.39 billion (+0.7%)
Software: ¥105.95 billion (-11.9%)

Total: ¥172.34 billion (-7.4%) [~US$1.7 billion]

Hardware units:
Code:
              2013H1             LTD
3DS         1,957,138      11,719,640
Vita          526,810       1,603,969
PS3           463,781       9,208,114
Wii U         317,354         955,693
PSP           304,044      19,483,144
Wii            45,153      12,705,895
X360           11,196       1,599,207

Top 5 games:
Code:
SYS TITLE                                   2013H1        LTD      RELEASE  PUBLISHER
3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf             1,375,695  3,662,672   2012-11-08 Nintendo
3DS Dragon Quest VII                      1,212,951  1,212,951   2013-02-07 Square Enix
3DS Tomodachi Collection: Shin Seikatsu   1,202,497  1,202,497   2013-04-18 Nintendo
3DS Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon              823,228    823,228   2013-03-20 Nintendo
PS3 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance          447,662    447,662   2013-02-21 Konami
(Includes 1 game specific download code card sold at a store as 1 unit, but does not include copies sold via download directly on eShop, PSN, Live etc.)

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh, that was more of a joke based on the fact that it still doesn't have a release date even as we near the two-year mark since its announcement. I don't really think there's much chance it'll be cancelled.
Ah ok, i understand =) I wonder if the delay is because they are adding online play (i saw some comment earlier that online play wasnt initially planned for God Eater 2).

PS3 Terraria sales surpassed 100K. The total is the number of physical copies shipped + download version sold.
https://twitter.com/spikechunsoft/status/352652183512170496
That is a great success. I never thought that this game would sell that much in Japan.

Wow nice. That means that acnl is absolutely 4m+ already
I dont think we know how many of those digital download sales that comes from the cards being sold in stores (which Famitsu includes in this 3.66 million number). But i think it is a fair chance that it is above 4 million now, i agree.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Nintendo x Platinum doesn't sound like it's on the verge of a decades long super-partnership or an imminent buyout: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614076

However, even if Nintendo stops publishing Platinum games after Bayonetta 2, I'm not sure that would have any negative effect on the platform given that Bayonetta 2 would pretty much attract any Platinum Games fans who were willing to buy a Wii U anyway.

Top Bottom