• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLG scraps Starcraft 2?

Majine

Banned
Twitter said:
Sundance DiGiovanni ‏@MLGSundance 10m
Just so folks know - we are currently not planning to run SC2 at Cbus. Should that change we'll let you know via official channels.

:(

Draft

MLG was where a lot of incredible SC2 North America moments happened. No more SC2 at MLG is sad news.

twofold

Huh that is pretty surprising, MLG was all over SC2 2 years ago or so

I don't think it's too surprising at all.

SC2 is being overshadowed by other esports at the moment, namely LoL and Dota2, and Blizzard's mishandling of WCS is making it hard for folks like MLG to run major tournaments of their own.

I imagine that other organisations will drop the game over the next year, too.

Striek

Yep SC2 is a dying "esport". MOBAs (ie. LoL) dominating viewership, more sponsorships, probably cheaper to run accomodating way less overall players at say the Spring Championship. Then Blizzard mishandling WCS and not supporting events enough

Edit: Wow, beaten and even used the same word to describe Blizzard and WCS.

Viewership has dropped and isn't near the MOBA games but it isn't but enough to be dropped completely. I'd say this has more to do with blizzards bungling of the WCS system. It puts a strangle hold over the entire market making it incredibly hard to actually run your own tournament.

To be honest i'm surprised that Gom and Kespa are putting up with the situation they have been put in as well. When SC2 was booming these sort of considerations made sense but now that there are games like LoL dominating the viewership there is no reason for these tournaments to put up with it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think that Blizzard wants to run it, Riot Games style.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Nail in the coffin if true.

Blizzard fucked up big time with all of their endevours since WoW.

FGMPR

Banned
Yep SC2 is a dying "esport". MOBAs (ie. LoL) dominating viewership, more sponsorships, probably cheaper to run accomodating way less overall players at say the Spring Championship. Then Blizzard mishandling WCS and not supporting events enough

Edit: Wow, beaten and even used the same word to describe Blizzard and WCS.

That's a shame, if true. Starcraft II is great to watch as a spectator.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Terrible in every way possible. This makes me want to cry.

Into

I don't think it's too surprising at all.

SC2 is being overshadowed by other esports at the moment, namely LoL and Dota2, and Blizzard's mishandling of WCS is making it hard for folks like MLG to run major tournaments of their own.

I imagine that other organisations will drop the game over the next year, too.

How is the viewership for SC2 tournaments these days? Back in the first year i remember the peak seemed to be 60k for MLG's big games and Dreamhack, i know the game has seen decline in viewership but that HotS gave it somewhat of a kick, though i can imagine that number is already declining.

How is the viewership for SC2 tournaments these days? Back in the first year i remember the peak seemed to be 60k for MLG's big games and Dreamhack, i know the game has seen decline in viewership but that HotS gave it somewhat of a kick, though i can imagine that number is already declining.

Usually gets over 100K for the big tournaments. It's nowhere near what LoL or Dota2 can get but it's certainly not bad. I really don't think that is the reason the game is getting dropped.

hamchan

If true that's a pretty huge blow to the Western SC2 esports scene.

Could always see it happening though since MLG were always very bandwagonny.

Stephano chose a good time to bail out!

Ecto311

Right after day9 retweets dota2? I love starcraft 2 more than any other game I have played and played it daily for 3 years or more. Recently tried dota and not a huge fan since the learning curve is so high but damn if you are into spectating it is like going HD from black and white tv that blizzard provides.

survivor

Banned
Anyone mind explaining how Blizzard screwed up WCS? I only follow the scene casually so I haven't read any of the fans criticism of the new tournament style.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Blizzard, just fucking release the Legacy of the Void campaign this year and be done with this failure of a game.

It helps when the game is like 50x more popular to play of course. The primary viewership of esports are probably people who play(ed) the games and really like them.

True enough. Blizzard aren't exactly helping there though, They completely abandoned team games and the arcade is a clusterfuck. The BW population never survived because of competitive 1v1, it was all the other stuff that kept the player base active. In SC2 they made it competitive 1v1 ladder or bust. Now they have improved it a bit (not enough) but it's all too late.

That plus it's incredibly hard to compete against the F2P model. I think it's something blizzard should have looked into earlier but i guess i don't know enough about their financials to know if it's viable.

Edit: Blizzard missed a massive opportunity with their own MOBA. It could have been big itself and they could have used it to strengthen their other brands. Had they actually got their hand into that market i think it would have put them in a good position being able to run tournaments involving both games. As is it's just one more big oppurtunity lost for blizzard.

J-Rod

Serves Blizzard right for being such unaccommodating assholes at every step since release. Way to go.

twofold

As far as I know, Starcraft 2 viewership figures haven't fallen by much at all. They're still around 100k~ for the big finals.

The problem is, the game is being massively overshadowed by Dota 2 and LoL's viewing figures. Yesterday, I saw 300,000 people watching The International on twitch. I imagine that figure isn't close to what it peaked at yesterday. And then Riot is claiming that 8 million+ people tuned in to watch the finals of one of the more recent LoL tournaments.

SC2 simply can't compete with those kinds of viewer numbers.

smr00

Banned
Blizzard, just fucking release the Legacy of the Void campaign this year and be done with this failure of a game.
Clearly you have never played SC2 or weren't a fan of SC1 because it's easily one of the best sequels and stands toe-toe with the original.

lol failure. Take your trolls elsewhere.

hamchan

Blizzard are just so slow to adapt to the market.

They should have made SC2 F2P ages ago.

They should have acquired or made their own Dota in the half a decade it was super popular before LoL came out.

Haunted

I think this is more WCS driving out competing tournaments (MLG was the host of WCS America season 1 but didn't keep the contract, it's now run by NASL) than SC2 dying out.

That said, the recent surge of Dota and other mobas is undeniable.

J2d

Boo at this news!
Clearly you have never played SC2 or weren't a fan of SC1 because it's easily one of the best sequels and stands toe-toe with the original.

He has probably played it more than 99% of gaf but yoshi is gonna yoshi i suppose.

Yoshichan

Please refrain from failing and take a minute to browse how active I am, and have been for years, in the SC-community.

T0eWfeh.png

antitrop

I've been a diehard StarCraft fan since 1998 and I put over 1,000 hours into SC2 since 2010 (easily).

I've been saying this for well over a year, that DOTA 2 and LoL would knock SC2 almost completely out of eSports, but everyone just said "Wait for HOTS".

LOL, HOTS releases and five months later MLG drops SC2, yup. It's partially Blizzard's fault, partially trends. Blizzard could have done so much more to prop SC2 up as an eSport, but they were too little, too late

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
One of the reason games and gamers should avoid these eSport companies. They will drop a game the moment it makes sense for them. We need organisations from within the games themselves to make sense. Just like the FGC does it and mabe how Valve is doing it.

He speaks only in hyperbole, he's either in full on ultra hype mode or full on hate mode. There is no middle ground.

krpiper

Man this is too bad, I just started to get into SC2 (I know LTTP) and I was looking forward to watching more and more pro streams and such :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

It's just Yoshichan. His rages ahould not be taken seriously.

patapuf

I guess this shows why it's often better to work with the community rather than take a top down approach when it comes to tournaments and stuff. It may work for Riot but they also commit a lot of rescources to their esport stuff.

It' not like SC2 was unpopular before the WCS.

antitrop

He speaks only in hyperbole, he's either in full on ultra hype mode or full on hate mode. There is no middle ground.
I like Yoshichan, a lot, but SC2 is not a failure of a game by almost any metric other than how much people enjoy watching its competitive gameplay compared to games in a completely different genre. Ridiculous hyperbole.

Is it that much of a trainwreck? Never really heard much about what SC1 veterans had to say about it.

I'd say this is less a result of the quality of the game and more of a result of the MOBA trend, the game not being free to play and general Blizzard mismanaging it as an esport.

I like Yoshichan, a lot, but SC2 is not a failure of a game by almost any metric other than how much people enjoy watching its competitive gameplay compared to games in a completely different genre. Ridiculous hyperbole.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with him, seems like a nice guy, I just think it's good to read his posts from the right perspective.

I'd say this is less a result of the quality of the game and more of a result of the MOBA trend, the game not being free to play and general Blizzard mismanaging it as an esport.

I see. Thank you. Dota 2 is the best game in existence though. No shame getting replaced by it.

I guess this shows why it's often better to work with the community rather than take a top down approach when it comes to tournaments and stuff. It may work for Riot but they also commit a lot of rescources to their esport stuff.

It' not like SC2 was unpopular before the WCS.

HOTS saw viewership rise by quite a lot compared to the end of WOL. I really feel like WCS just talk all of the wind out of the sales of the game, i know it certainly affected my enjoyment of the scene. It could have been great but it was just mis-timed and poorly managed. For the first time in a long time there was a lot of positivity around the scene and blizzard managed to kill it.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with him, seems like a nice guy, I just think it's good to read his posts from the right perspective.

Yea, to play LoL or Dota 2 you go download it.

To play SC2 you have to spend upwards of $80 now to play HOTS. Completely different. When HOTS came out I thought they would make WoL F2P.

Top Bottom