• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces SteamOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixlexic

Banned
Common answers would be along the lines of one already has a machine capable of playing those third party games.

And those people would be spending a lot more money for less.

My steam console would be upgradable .. With free online.

Only thing you would lose is console exclusive but you would gain new exclusives.

I still don't see why you guys are trying to shoe horn steam is into a windows replacement.

You should be thinking of as more of a console and media box replacement.

I will def have one connected to each of my tvs besides my gaming tv.

This is my take on the strategy, too. They aren't competing with Windows, so much as they're competing with Xbox. Hell, maybe even Apple and Google.

I'll certainly install it on a computer and hook it up to my TV.

Hate or have?

I'd have to go with fake as well, but I'd hate it to be fake. It all sounds so good. Lol.. too good. =[

Oops, sorry, "have".

Because a) most of the text is made of very safe assumptions (eg using nvidia stream tech, I've been saying this for a while.. and I don't work for Valve) and b) stuff like the PS4 port of the engine that they don't even know if it'll ever be done are too crazy.

Grief.exe

Let me ask this.. If valve can get third parties to port thier next gen games to steam os. Why would you not want to build your own steam console ?

Not saying that will happen over night

You could probably build a more powerful one for a cheaper price than the OEMs will be able to provide.
You can install SteamOS and dual boot Windows, though you can do the latter on the Steam box as well.

If it can install to my eee PC and still handle the streaming okay, I might give this a whirl. Something tells me they aren't going to allow manual installs at first.

Sounds like they are to me. I don't see why not.

This is probably nothing, but there is this thing going around that originated from 4chan.

A lot of it sounds plausible, but it's probably all fake. I figured this would be the place to post it though.

We'll know by tomorrow if this is bullshit.

I'm seeing fake when I read the sentence "It has handled everything we've thrown at it really well". What does that even mean? Is he talking stream? SteamOS? The games? The video capture? "Fast" at what? Computations? CPU? Overhead? It's too vague and buzzwordy to have any meaning.

Crisco

Banned
Guys, just keep in mind, day one performance for this isn't going to be any better than Windows. In fact, it may be slightly worse. That's just the nature of the beast for new software platforms. Early on, the focus is going to be on the Gabecube being an all-in-one streaming box for gaming and media. It'll be a while before any real performance gains are realized. In other words, hang on to your Windows installation for a while.

Slappers Only

Wow, Gabe really did used to work for MS, didn't he. I'll take passive-aggressive fb posts from people who didn't work out there over this any day.

I'm seeing fake when I read the sentence "It has handled everything we've thrown at it really well". What does that even mean? Is he talking stream? SteamOS? The games? The video capture? "Fast" at what? Computations? CPU? Overhead? It's too vague and buzzwordy to have any meaning.

I saw fake when in the first sentence he referred to everyone as retards.

Minsc

Gold Member
And those people would be spending a lot more money for less.

My steam console would be upgradable .. With free online.

Only thing you would lose is console exclusive but you would gain new exclusives.

You're not going to change people's minds about their priorities when it comes to system purchases unless it's a very compelling advantage you're offering.

The proper answer again, is simply to own everything that has games you want to play on it. No sacrifices need to be made, it's not this or that, it's this and that. However if "that" offers exactly the same stuff "this" does, which you already own, I'm not sure free online or upgradable are the biggest selling points, especially over the games themselves (first party exclusives), or losing out on free games from having the online subscription, etc.

I also don't see why you'd pit it solely against consoles, as opposed to in addition to consoles instead of a PC, that seems more likely to me, but both situations are still about compromising when gaming should be about just having all the systems that have games you are interested in, not picking one.

Sounds like they are to me. I don't see why not.

Especially given that they say this on the page linked in the OP:

Downloadable soon. Free forever!
SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information.

Mister D

Ok, I'm at work right now but I've been in and out of this thread and I just want to know how this will affect me personally as a recent PC gaming convert. I have a gaming PC in my bedroom hooked up to my LED TV that I play most games with an Xbox controller on. My main setup is connected to my living room LED TV. This is a Windows 7 PC with 16GB of RAM, an SSD, a 6TB hard drive, an overclocked 4GB GTX 680, and an intel I7 3770k.

I have games on Origin as well as on Steam that I access in Big Picture mode using the custom grid icons. I also run WMC with PowerDVD integrated to watch bluray discs and use XBMC to watch 10 bit encodes and stream my full bluray rips with HD audio that I can only bitstream using WASAPI in Windows to my knowledge.

The Steam OS sounds cool but since I already have a decent system already hooked up to my TV and use other native Windows program outside of Steam, I'm not seeing how useful this will be to me as I don't need to stream games since I can play them natively on my two PCs connected directly to the TVs and I can access media services like Netflix using my smart TV functions or my PS3. As long as this doesn't affect Steam's focus on their Window's environment and adding features and correcting things with the PC version of Big Picture Mode then I guess I'm alright with them spreading their wings even though it won't really benefit me.

MaLDo

This is probably nothing, but there is this thing going around that originated from 4chan.

A lot of it sounds plausible, but it's probably all fake. I figured this would be the place to post it though.

If he want to appear legit why calling people "retards"?

Too much fake for real fake imo XD

BTW, he said SteamBOX and Source2 as second and third reveals and that's what I think too. mmmmm

Symphonic

Ok, I'm at work right now but I've been in and out of this thread and I just want to know how this will affect me personally as a recent PC gaming convert. I have a gaming PC in my bedroom hooked up to my LED TV that I play most games with an Xbox controller on. My main setup is connected to my living room LED TV. This is a Windows 7 PC with 16GB of RAM, an SSD, a 6TB hard drive, an overclocked 4GB GTX 680, and an intel I7 3770k.

I have games on Origin as well as on Steam that I access in Big Picture mode using the custom grid icons. I also run WMC with PowerDVD integrated to watch bluray discs and use XBMC to watch 10 bit encodes and stream my full bluray rips with HD audio that I can only bitstream using WASAPI in Windows to my knowledge.

The Steam OS sounds cool but since I already have a decent system already hooked up to my TV and use other native Windows program outside of Steam, I'm not seeing how useful this will be to me as I don't need to stream games since I can play them natively on my two PCs connected directly to the TVs and I can access media services like Netflix using my smart TV functions or my PS3. As long as this doesn't affect Steam's focus on their Window's environment and adding features and correcting things with the PC version of Big Picture Mode then I guess I'm alright with them spreading their wings even though it won't really benefit me.

Yay rationality! Thanks for not being like the people who are going "this doesn't really do anything for me so why should they release it?"

A

Danlord

mQ65R3b.jpg

So if the first circle is the SteamOS, the second circle is a box around the OS - has to be the SteamBox, right?

So what's the third button, which looks like SteamOS + SteamOS? Some sort of multisystem-based announcement?

My theory is that the 3rd one could be a system whereby you have one Steambox but it renders 2 different games from the box, or different game modes. For example. If you have 2 monitors it could render both monitors as separate windows, for different interfaces. It could render it as 2nd player so instead of split-screen it's on a screen each. It could also be a system whereby you have 1 Steambox to render the games and multiple devices within the household to stream to, so you can render to 2 different computers using the same unit. Just a jumbled thought but sounds reasonable especially given the Family Sharing announcement.

Grief.exe

Steam is not dropping Windows support anytime soon, so you have nothing to worry about.

You will be able to dual boot Windows and SteamOS, so you can try out the service with a slight time investment on your end.

I can't stress this enough, the announcements this week are not really targeted at the current PC gamers. They are focused on acquiring a new demographic.
We have a passing interest in the controller, OS, and streaming capabilities. But the Steam box is designed, primarily, to break into a new market.

Yay rationality! Thanks for not being like the people who are going "this doesn't really do anything for me so why should they release it?"

A

Speaks to the quality of the thread when we congratulate someone for being sensible.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

That's quite a nice package of information there if it turns out to be true and I really hope it is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm more interested right now in them getting family accounts and family sharing sorted out. right now you can't set up a steam account unless you're over 13 I think, and so that is no good for any kids you have that might want to play scribblenauts or sonic racing etc.

But thinking about it, the streaming would be a nice option for my kids' laptop, which can really only play old stuff. This would let them play from my computer (as long as I'm not using it)

If I need an nvidia card for that to work, I'd probably swap out my 7950 for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Steam is not dropping Windows support anytime soon, so you have nothing to worry about.

You will be able to dual boot Windows and SteamOS, so you can try out the service with a slight time investment on your end.

I can't stress this enough, the announcements this week are not really targeted at the current PC gamers. They are focused on acquiring a new demographic.
We have a passing interest in the controller, OS, and streaming capabilities. But the Steam box is designed, primarily, to break into a new market.

It's also extra insurance down the road I guess. Sure, maybe you have nice Windows 7 rigs now and little incentive to use SteamOS, but 10 years from now, perhaps Windows 9 or 10 won't offer the gaming experience you're after anymore. At least there'll be another choice around hopefully, and if it gains enough popularity, migrating most of / all your favorite unsupported games over should be easier as well if the community has tackled ways of emulating them or such.

Grief.exe

It's also extra insurance down the road I guess. Sure, maybe you have nice Windows 7 rigs now and little incentive to use SteamOS, but 10 years from now, perhaps Windows 9 or 10 won't offer the gaming experience you're after anymore. At least there'll be another choice around hopefully, and if it gains enough popularity, migrating most of / all your favorite unsupported games over should be easier as well if the community has tackled ways of emulating them or such.

If you look into Valves plans for the future, in 10 years they will be on ARM/Android as well.

The proliferation of x86 and Windows at a consumer level is tanking at a massive rate.

The move to Linux and the work on an OGL wrapper is just the first stepping stone towards ARM compatibility. At that point, Valve will be fully future proofed.

Durante

I never said exclusives to SteamOS. I said exclusives to Steam, which means all of Valve's future games will be only available on platforms where Steam has a presence. I'm calling it again: no Left4dead,Portal, Team Fortress or Half-Life for anything other than SteamOS, Windows, Linux and Mac. No console ports period.
I can see this having at least some chance of happening (unlike SteamO-only exclusives).

EVIL

mQ65R3b.jpg

So if the first circle is the SteamOS, the second circle is a box around the OS - has to be the SteamBox, right?

So what's the third button, which looks like SteamOS + SteamOS? Some sort of multisystem-based announcement?

Step 1, Provide the Platform
Steam OS

Step 2, Provide the Hardware
Steam Certified Hardware (different tiers and price rangers, something for everybody)

Step 3, Provide the Tools
Either Source 2, or the SteamOS SDK

VVIS

Neo Member
My theory is that the 3rd one could be a system whereby you have one Steambox but it renders 2 different games from the box, or different game modes. For example. If you have 2 monitors it could render both monitors as separate windows, for different interfaces. It could render it as 2nd player so instead of split-screen it's on a screen each. It could also be a system whereby you have 1 Steambox to render the games and multiple devices within the household to stream to, so you can render to 2 different computers using the same unit. Just a jumbled thought but sounds reasonable especially given the Family Sharing announcement.

I was thinking about soemthing like this last night. However it seems strange that they would give something like that its own announcement, it's more of a sub feature that only affects people that can afford multiple tvs/ boxes. The three main announcements are going to be things that everyone can relate to.

robin2

Step 1, Provide the Platform
Steam OS

Step 2, Provide the Hardware
Steam Certified Hardware (different tiers and price rangers, something for everybody)

Step 3, Provide the Tools
Either Source 2, or the SteamOS SDK
I'm thinking this too.

I guess it has been said before but boy... when they anounce that the PS4 is the official hardware to run SteamOS on... the meltdown is going to be biblical.

Danlord

I was thinking about soemthing like this last night. However it seems strange that they would give something like that its own announcement, it's more of a sub feature that only affects people that can afford multiple tvs/ boxes. The three main announcements are going to be things that everyone can relate to.

Microsoft spent a hefty amount of time on the original Xbox One's marketing referring to the Family Sharing idea they were proclaiming (regardless of whether they had one or not) and Valve have taken the concept to fruition in their own distributions service. Something like the system I mentioned would complement the family sharing to not only be a bonus +1 game for family member but also give further value within the household for co-op/competitive play games, like Portal 2 Co-op or Dota 2 for example.

I also remember when Gabe said he wishes they had time to release an SDK for Steam like they release for Source. He was interested to see what mods for Steam the community would make.

So let's see if the third announcement is going to be SteamDev.

I guess it has been said before but boy... when they anounce that the PS4 is the official hardware to run SteamOS on... the meltdown is going to be biblical.

I would certainly be confused because it makes absolutely no sense, especially from Sony's point of view. Valve would probably be ecstatic if Sony decided to allow their $400 console to run a completely open Linux Distro with complete access to all the system's hardware.

VVIS

Neo Member
Microsoft spent a hefty amount of time on the original Xbox One's marketing referring to the Family Sharing idea they were proclaiming (regardless of whether they had one or not) and Valve have taken the concept to fruition in their own distributions service. Something like the system I mentioned would complement the family sharing to not only be a bonus +1 game for family member but also give further value within the household for co-op/competitive play games, like Portal 2 Co-op or Dota 2 for example.

I agree, but basically I think the multi-box streaming is implied already and although the [0+0] image makes more sense with your hypothesis, as a dev I'm grasping at all hope that it will be something more like source2 with free licensing.

Kalamari

I like this announcement, while Sony and MS are talking about next-gen hardware, Valve is talking about something that will last well beyond next gen.

LTWheels

Anyone think that one of their 3 announcements could be controller support for dota 2? That's their big game now and it would get it in the living room to be used on steamos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom