• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces SteamOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Anyone think that one of their 3 announcements could be controller support for dota 2? That's their big game now and it would get it in the living room to be used on steamos.

They have actually been working with Razer on controller support for a little while now.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Anyone think that one of their 3 announcements could be controller support for dota 2? That's their big game now and it would get it in the living room to be used on steamos.

Trying to think how controller + dota2 would work.. and yeah.. sounds no good.

valve-controller-design_0.jpg

Grief.exe

Guys, this thing.. whatever it is..

It's going to fail pretty hard.

This whole thread is basically me going around in this circle explaining how and why people are being shortsighted.

Shortsighted statement
Explanation
Understanding
Repeat indefinitely

That is the current cycle I have been in for the past 24 hours.

Trying to think how controller + dota2 would work.. and yeah.. sounds no good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy3zQUMeSuc

you can swap the analog instruments? awesome!

The whole thing is designed to be modular. I believe you can swap out the majority of buttons for different placements.
For example, moving the sticks to a different set up.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

It won't "fail" as doubtful Valve will kill it anytime soon.. plus what's the metric for failing? Valve could keep support for it going forever, even without a good adoption rate it it won't fail.

Now SteamBox? Depends on what it is. If it's just a certification, and nothing more.. than whatever.. if it's something real hardware wise that's not just thrown together with parts when needed... that could fail as there'd be real cost in keeping something going that is physical that isn't selling.

Valve has the money to eat dev costs on software for SteamOS forever.

Opiate

Make it like Diablo 3 or Awesomenauts, both offer really straightforward examples on how to bring a top-down click game and a MOBA game to a controller.

The problem is low precision. Skill shots and the sort. Not a huge problem in a comparatively low skill game like Diablo, but the compromises on competitiveness for DotA would be quite significant. A controller like the Wii Remote / Razor Hydra would be more accurate.

This whole thread is basically me going around in this circle explaining how and why people are being shortsighted.

Shortsighted statement
Explanation
Understanding
Repeat indefinitely

That is the current cycle I have been in for the past 24 hours.

If you have to go through that much effort just to defend against initial impressions, then it really is going to fail.

The dudebros don't care about it and the nerdbros don't matter.

SteamOS will have a small cult following, but it will be eclipsed by the hardware manufacturers.

Step 1, Provide the Platform
Steam OS

Step 2, Provide the Hardware
Steam Certified Hardware (different tiers and price rangers, something for everybody)

Step 3, Provide the Tools
Either Source 2, or the SteamOS SDK

Hmm, and what about the controller(s)?

Exuro

If you have to go through that much effort just to defend against initial impressions, then it really is going to fail.

The dudebros don't want it and the nerdbros don't matter.

SteamOS will have a small cult following, but it will be eclipsed by the hardware manufacturers.

And folks said the Xbox wasnt going to be successful too. Folks said that the original Steam wouldnt be successful. Folks were saying Sony was dead after the PS3. You dont even know what it is, havent seen the final two announcements, and are saying it's going to fail. Yea. Ok.

Hex

Banned

It is hard for me to sum up exactly how much failure can be crammed into one statement without breaking into some kind of Science Fictional physics rant complete with field trip, props, guest speakers, dry erase board and power point presentation.

And folks said the Xbox wasnt going to be successful too. Folks said that the original Steam wouldnt be successful. Folks were saying Sony was dead after the PS3. You dont even know what it is, havent seen the final two announcements, and are saying it's going to fail. Yea. Ok.

I gauge success by substantive profit, so the original Xbox wasn't a success and neither was the PS3.

Durante

The problem is low precision. Skill shots and the sort. Not a huge problem in a comparatively low skill game like Diablo, but the compromises on competitiveness for DotA would be quite significant. A controller like the Wii Remote / Razor Hydra would be more accurate.
It did influence the design of Diablo 3 skills to be significantly less, well, skill-based than Diablo 2. Compare and contrast in particular the position/aiming heavy Sorceress skill trees in D2 with anything in D3.

(And yes, I maintain that Diablo 3 was designed, at least since the final development reboot, with controller gaming in mind)

Opiate

I would not refer to the original Xbox or PS3 as "successes," but I generally agree with your point. The market is not easily predictable.

Kurdel

Banned
Valve said there would be no game reveals this week.

Would be a little strange to unveil Source 2 without L4D3.

They could say it's a tech demo, but specify it isn't a real game yet.

It could test the waters to see if a L4D sequel THIS SOON after L4D 2 would be successful.

fallout

I gauge success by substantive profit, so the original Xbox wasn't a success and neither was the PS3.
That's fair, but does not succeeding mean failure in the market? Do you not think it's a bit early to be predicting success or failure by any reasonable means?

I would not refer to the original Xbox or PS3 as "successes," but I generally agree with your point. The market is not easily predictable.

I didnt say the PS3 was a success nor did I mean the original Xbox was. I meant that people doubted the Xbox becoming a success and it has. To argue that SteamOS will be a failure when the person admits he doesn't even know what it is is quite silly.

fin

How much of a challenge would it be to have Windows and SteamOS running on SteamBox? In theory could you run windows on a virtual machine using steamOS? Then play your Windows games right on Steambox via streaming from the virtual machine?

Considering the Xbox was MS' platform, while Valve's is Steam (not SteamOS), SteamOS could end up being adopted by 5-10% of PC gamers and be considered pretty successful. It even comes for free, you can't quite compare it to the Xbox, PS3, etc.

How much of a challenge would it be to have Windows and SteamOS running on SteamBox? In theory could you run windows on a virtual machine using steamOS? Then play your Windows games right on Steambox via streaming from the virtual machine?

3D acceleration is pretty poor in VMs as far as I know so impossible.

Why on earth would you do that? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom