• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces SteamOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joezie

Don't know if this means anything to you GAF or if possibly SteamOS/Box Related, but Nvidia announced that they will begin publishing Open GPU Documentation

This week at XDC2013 NVIDIA made one of the biggest surprise announcements... NVIDIA will begin publishing NDA-free GPU programming documentation. They already have released some documentation and more is on the way as they seek to assist the Nouveau graphics driver developers in writing a full open-source 3D Linux graphics driver for GeForce GPUs.

Grief.exe

Oh I thought Valve had another announcement today, looks like it's tomorrow.

Wednesday, and probably Friday for the next announcements.

Valve probably should have made all of these announcements at once, would stem some of this confusion.

Of course, everything they are revealing this week they have been discussing at length for over a year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It sounded pretty close from the announcement, yet the family sharing beta hasn't even started yet

Do we think they might release a basic version first and add features as they go?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve said there would be no game reveals this week.

Would be a little strange to unveil Source 2 without L4D3.

Laidlaw just said that all the announcements relate to Steam. A Steamworks game being announced technically falls under that banner.

LeleSocho

Banned
I'll install this shit as soon as available.
I can't fucking wait... thank you based Valve.

see you soon in 2-3 years when 10 more million of people will be using Linux because of this.

oldnick

Banned
I'll install this shit as soon as available.
I can't fucking wait... thank you based Valve.

see you soon in 2-3 years when 10 more million of people will be using Linux because of this.

off topic but what does it mean/what's the meme when people say BASED xxx ?

JaseC

If Laidlaw was a marketing/PR rep I would take those statements with a grain of salt.

Since he isn't, I will take them more literally. I doubt there will be a game announcement this week.

Even if a game is announced, it's not going to be HL3 (as the person who tweeted him was suggesting), but rather L4D3 -- the little evidence we have that both exist suggests the latter is (seemingly much) further along.

Grief.exe

Even if a game is announced, it's not going to be HL3 (as the person who tweeted him was suggesting), but rather L4D3 -- the little evidence we have that both exist suggests the latter is (seemingly much) further along.

Agreed

Expecting an HL3 announcement anytime soon is complete ignorance.

valve-controller-design_0.jpg
That's an awesome controller.

Very Wii U pro-esque.

JaseC

Thought there was confirmation of no new software announcements.

Guess at tech demo could be shown if Source 2 is revealed.

SteamOS is technically a software announcement. ;) See the previous page -- basically, if you're an optimist, you can assume Laidlaw was just being coy as he didn't categorically deny a game announcement.

Elios83

I find the announcement a bit confusing....(maybe because Valve is trying to sell it for far more than is actually is?)
This doesn't change anything relatively to the current Steam platform on Windows PCs? They're not asking people to install a Linux based os to play Steam games on a PC.
If that's the case this is basically the announcement of the OS which will power their upcoming Steambox with the plus that they're going to make it free and compatible with mobile devices so that it could be used to stream games on those platforms as well.
Basically the direction that everyone is taking...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Announcement 2: SteamBox.
Announcement 3: Valve controller, Greenlight revamp, or some connectivity/community thing.

Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 revealed later as a Game Informer cover story, maybe before the year is out, if not very early next year.

The Cowboy

My biggest worry for the next few years on this will be.

In a few years it would be horrible is it ended up having a load of games that will use SteamOS and not support Windows, and a load of games that support Windows but not SteamOS. Right now most PC games are Windows (with fraction supporting other operating systems), it would be pretty bad IMO if in a few years time it ended up with 50% supporting SteamOS style operating systems only and 50% supporting Windows operating systems only.

Sure people will say "you can dual boot" or "you can have 2 PCs, 1 for each", but I really think that would be a horrible way for PC gaming to end up.

I really hope it ends up with everything being available on everything, all Windows games will support SteamOS etc and all SteamOS games will support Windows etc..

In a few years it would be horrible is it ended up having a load of games that will use SteamOS and not support Windows, and a load of games that support Windows but not SteamOS. Right now most PC games are Windows (with fraction supporting other operating systems), it would be pretty bad IMO if in a few years time it ended up with 50% supporting SteamOS style operating systems only and 50% supporting Windows operating systems only.

Sure people will say "you can dual boot" or "you can have 2 PCs, 1 for each", but I really think that would be a horrible way for PC gaming to end up.

I really hope it ends up with everything being available on everything, all Windows games will support SteamOS etc and all SteamOS games will support Windows etc..

Yes it would suck. But Valve certainly wants everything to be available everywhere they have a Steam client so I do not worry.

This is about reaching ever more people, not less!

Grief.exe

Yes it would suck. But Valve certainly wants everything to be available everywhere they have a Steam client so I do not worry.

This is about reaching ever more people, not less!

This is true.

Valve is about reaching as many customers as possible, not lowering their potential market.

Gah, this announcement comes like two weeks after I buy my new PC. -_-

Oh well.

You will be able to build a more powerful machine for less than what the OEM's will be able to offer.

We are not the target audience for the announcements this week. Though we will have some tertiary benefit, dual boot the OS, controller, streaming, etc.

I don't think there is anything to worry about aside from maybe some very Linux friendly indies. I could see a move away from Direct3D but I don't see many developers abandoning Windows entirely unless it becomes a platform impractical for gaming.

spwolf

Well, they way it works is that only portion of games will be ported to SteamOS at first. Valve will have to somehow incentivize developers, maybe by lower cut of revenue on SteamOS? I doubt there will be SteamOS exclusive games (not on Windows). That makes no sense for developers at all.

If I was Valve, I would also partner with some larger companies doing applications for Windows and somehow work with them to provide basic features that people want from their HTPC, like media servers and players, optimized for big screen and controller usage.

They need to provide this from start, so users are satisfied with switch and dont switch back to Windows. If they just let it be, maybe apps will come, maybe they wont, and it will take years.

JaseC

Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 revealed later as a Game Informer cover story, maybe before the year is out, if not very early next year.

"Very early next year" is still too early if Valve is aiming for a Q4 release. I'd expect a late-Q1 announcement at the earliest, a la Portal 2, assuming Q4 is on the cards -- but even that may be generous as L4D2 was released ~six months after being announced and CS:GO was originally scheduled to do the same, so it's possible we may have to wait until E3/the middle of the year.

A-V-B

This is probably nothing, but there is this thing going around that originated from 4chan.

A lot of it sounds plausible, but it's probably all fake. I figured this would be the place to post it though.

We'll know by tomorrow if this is bullshit.

I'm gonna go with fake. Remember that they made a distinctive statement on the living room site about getting the community more involved in the design process. O+O almost certainly has something to do with that, multiple SteamOSes/users working together on "design."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom