• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces SteamOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

i dont think Valve will produce the box... they will set some rules on what can be "licensed" (for free) as "SteamOS Powered", with some minimum configuration.

However the pricing is up to hardware partners. And they want to make standard margins for these. So take away $50-$80 from Dell desktops to see what the pricing could be. For instance, base Alienware X51 looks like could be easily transferred to SteamBox with $599 price for model with i3, GTX 645 and 6GB of RAM. Maybe use 4GB, and AMD APU to get some lower price?

In any case, nobody is going to be subsidizing the cost or selling at the cost. All the hardware makers will want to sell at standard retail prices.

Latest Tom's best configs for $650:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-fx-6300-overclocking,3617.html

Yep. It's basically looking like the Blu-Ray player business if you wanna compare it to other TV devices.

spwolf

So this is going to be a digital-only device? Because I assume that if this is to get in to the "living room" space it is going to conform to expectations

Aka the ability to PLAY movies.

re: Sony and blu-ray
Sure, Sony is not the ONLY one in the consortium, but that doesn't change the fact that to use a blu-ray device OR a DVD device, you have to pay the consortium

Similarly, have you ever actually tried watching a blu-ray through Linux...you CAN do it, but it sure as hell isn't as easy as popping a disc while running Windows and that's because of the codecs.

First of all, Valve most likely wont be building systems so they wont be paying for components, but even if they did, why wouldnt they pay Sony for BD drive and license for instance? Did Sony and Valve get into fight when they were in school or something?

It would be beneficial for Valve if their hardware partner builds proper HTPC with possible BD drive that plays movies perfectly. Software is something that Valve needs to provide. This needs to work from the box just like any console would.

Momentary

Banned
So this is going to be a digital-only device? Because I assume that if this is to get in to the "living room" space it is going to conform to expectations

re: Sony and blu-ray
Sure, Sony is not the ONLY one in the consortium, but that doesn't change the fact that to use a blu-ray device OR a DVD device, you have to pay the consortium

Similarly, have you ever actually tried watching a blu-ray through Linux...you CAN do it, but it sure as hell isn't as easy as popping a disc while running Windows and that's because of the codecs.

I'm sorry dude, but I live in the year 2013. I haven't used a disc drive since 2010. I don't even use discs in my car.

play it on your blu ray player. For many households-and this number is rapidly accelerating- the notion of physical discs is already dated. If you really want blu-ray on your Steambox, build your own or get one from an OEM and use whatever front-end app that the community has developed for Blu-Ray playback with SteamOS integration.

Speaking of which , do you think Valve is going to talk about any kind of general purpose application development support for SteamOS? We have apps available on Steam but those are desktop apps-I'm talking about basically being able to build apps with Steam UI theming and access to a cloud Steam data store to save information. For example, a Dota 2 loungue store where I can bet in-game rares directly from Steam rather than through their website.

MikeDown

Banned
Might actually buy a steambox, assuming it has a dvd player and can steam media from other machines. I wasn't really interested in one, but if I can't repair my 360 I will gobble this thing up.

i dont think Valve will produce the box... they will set some rules on what can be "licensed" (for free) as "SteamOS Powered", with some minimum configuration.

However the pricing is up to hardware partners. And they want to make standard margins for these. So take away $50-$80 from Dell desktops to see what the pricing could be. For instance, base Alienware X51 looks like could be easily transferred to SteamBox with $599 price for model with i3, GTX 645 and 6GB of RAM. Maybe use 4GB, and AMD APU to get some lower price?

In any case, nobody is going to be subsidizing the cost or selling at the cost. All the hardware makers will want to sell at standard retail prices.

Latest Tom's best configs for $650:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-fx-6300-overclocking,3617.html

Valve will make their own box and sell it themselves they have confirmed that. But they'll release specs others can (should they want) follow as well.

It? That's assuming there's only one Steam Box. Assuming Valve plans on announcing multiple hardware partners tomorrow, most models probably won't have an optical drive, but a few might.

Was talking about Valve's own box. Others will be free to put in optical drives of course.

A-V-B

Just a thought...

Talking about tech being behind PC or consoles or whatever... Upgradable hardware not withstanding, thinking maybe Valve is planning on people really only having to upgrade with each new version of Source Engine due to flexibility of Linux optimizations?

larvi

I'll probably give it a shot and see how it works, I already have a home theater PC in the bedroom that I was thinking of upgrading the video/processor to be more game friendly for some or the more controller friendly PC games. If I can stream from my main PC instead that would definitely be cheaper.

Not sure that I like it not running under Windows though since I still want to run Windows on that PC for other stuff. I guess I will need to go to a dual boot setup, hopefully the installer has an option to automatically do that otherwise I will need to find a boot loader I can use.

Do people want to play only Source Engine games?

Also the Linux optimizations are not going to be "magical".

In fact most games will likely still perform a little better on Windows, at first.

Think of it like this, the PS3 didn't achieve parity on multiplatform releases until later as developers became familiar with it.

iceatcs

I don't think we will see Valve own hardware system at all. Will make look lesser ecosystem, but it could be possible, example Android are doing like that.
Multi-partners hardware deal, very likely.

But I do think it will going to have Valve own controller pad, and 360 pad will not native support on SteamOS. Valve don't want anything with MS as it seem.

But I do think it will going to have Valve own controller pad, and 360 pad will not native support on SteamOS. Valve don't want anything with MS as it seem.

The xpad module (360 controller driver) is in the linux kernel source and is included in all the distributions that I used since I got one for my PC. It might not be the recommended controller, but I'm sure it will be supported.

larvi

That would be a big negative for me, I already have the 360 controller for my PC and don't really want to buy or use a new controller.

I don't think we will see Valve own hardware system at all. Will make look lesser ecosystem, but it could be possible, example Android are doing like that.

Huh? They are not going to block the 360 compatability since most games use it as a defacto controller. Valve isn't a company to limit options or functionality.

mhayze

I wonder if the SteamBox (whether through a required config or in a Valve-maufactured spec) will use integrated graphices - such as Iris Pro (Haswell's top-end GPU) or AMD's Richland APU, or if it will stick with discrete graphics.

iceatcs

I hope I'm wrong. But I have just massive feeling since xpad driver likely not free.
Of course it will get unofficial support from mods.

I said valve don't want anything do with MS, not hating. Lol

A-V-B

Do people want to play only Source Engine games?

Also the Linux optimizations are not going to be "magical".

In fact most games will likely still perform a little better on Windows, at first.

Think of it like this, the PS3 didn't achieve parity on multiplatform releases until later as developers became familiar with it.

You don't think developers are comfortable enough with Linux at this time?

Quasar

I wonder. I wonder if we will see the Nexus of Steamboxes from valve. I'd like to see it, just to see a pure expression of their plan.

JSoup

Banned
This is how I feel right now... I don't get why this is a big deal for consumers.

edit: god damn bottom of the page!

I'm in this boat, but mostly because I'm honestly not following what's so amazing about whatever this things does. Everything on the list I can already do via one or two methods.

All this Linux talk is just so much jargon as far as I'm concerned. I became a Windows user so I don't have to understand things, just push buttons. :D

So, on the Giant Bombcast this week, I think Gerstmann might have accidentally figured the symbols out.

Day 1 - Circle - SteamOS
Day 2 - Circle in box - Basic SteamOS system
Day 3 - Circle plus circle in box - More advanced PC that can dual-boot SteamOS and Windows.

I'm pretty sure he was saying it in jest, but it makes a shitload of sense.

So, on the Giant Bombcast this week, I think Gerstmann might have accidentally figured the symbols out.

Day 1 - Circle - SteamOS
Day 3 - Circle plus circle in box - More advanced PC that can dual-boot SteamOS and Windows.

The third icon is O+O, without a box.

I hope I'm wrong. But I have just massive feeling since xpad driver likely not free.
Of course it will get unofficial support from mods.

I said valve don't want anything do with MS, not hating. Lol

I don't think you've been paying attention to Valve over the years or this thread.

Grief.exe

Day 1 - Circle - SteamOS

You can dualboot SteamOS + Windows on any Steambox, already confirmed by Gabe earlier in the year.

Exactly what I mean. Not official.

What we can have the unofficial one, hopefully Valve will allow it.

Valve seems to want to make SteamOS an open operating system.

I'm in this boat, but mostly because I'm honestly not following what's so amazing about whatever this things does. Everything on the list I can already do via one or two methods.

All this Linux talk is just so much jargon as far as I'm concerned. I became a Windows user so I don't have to understand things, just push buttons. :D

I became a GAF user for the good discussion...

You became a Windows user because it was bundled with your laptop/pc. People switched to chrome/firefox from IE after a while right?

Also Linux is just a kernel. If valve does things right, SteamOS's shell's gonna be even easier to use than Windows!

iceatcs

Valve seems to want to make SteamOS an open operating system.
That's good but I will wait and see. (Best method so that you cannot let yourself down)

Most wanted on steamOS - no more waiting first time game boot. Some might take up to 20 mins.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I wonder where the line will be drawn on what non gaming things this can do.

I get that it is open source and whatever, just wondering if it actually has any potential to be a regular OS option.

I get that it is open source and whatever, just wondering if it actually has any potential to be a regular OS option.

It's almost certain that the core componentry that makes it "SteamOS" will be available (not necessarily all in source form, mind you) for Linux distribution developers to adapt the technology into new desktop operating system environments.

Why would anyone ever use this OS? It has zero advantages over windows, and a lot of disadvantages.Windows graphics drivers are extremely mature and you also get Direct X as a gamer.

The value proposition is low in the short term for existing Windows/Steam users, but over time the move might make a lot more sense. This is crazy gaben's moonshot adventure, for sure, but even if it doesn't play out no one really comes out all the worse for it. I think it is a mistake to underestimate what kind of crazy things can happen on an open platform with good support given time.

Zhuk86

Banned
Why would anyone ever use this OS? It has zero advantages over windows, and a lot of disadvantages.Windows graphics drivers are extremely mature and you also get Direct X as a gamer.

I love Steam but am not going to drink the Valve koolaid on this one.

Omikron

Free?

A-V-B

Honestly, I don't care about DirectX. Just limits what platforms I can play on.

Coldsun

Banned

Saying there's "zero advantages" over windows is a bit myopic don't you think? A few games (in particular left4dead) do report a noticeable performance increase by simply going to Linux. Having a fine tuned kernel will likely offer further performance increases.

I'll most certainly agree that video driver support has always been less than stellar on Linux, though.

DirectX is hardly a show stopping requirement, developers who release on consoles are already not using directx (unless its an 360/One exclusive title) and by not relying on DirectX, these same games can find their ways to Mac (in addition to Linux). DirectX may (who's to say) eventually be seen as far too restrictive to focus on.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
As much as I hate to say this, being that I enjoy all the functionality of my system being good at gaming and other processes, I totally see the appeal of building a machine with a gaming oriented OS that is not only built by my favorite company, but also free.

I have used Ubuntu and I love it, so maybe I am biased.

zoku88

Exactly what I mean. Not official.

What we can have the unofficial one, hopefully Valve will allow it or even better use the real official one.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you mean 'official' as in, a official driver from MS? Why does it matter as long as it works and it works well (though, personally, I prefer using xboxdrv over the in-built xpad module.)

JSoup

Banned
I became a GAF user for the good discussion...

Life is tough everywhere, isn't it?

You became a Windows user because it was bundled with your laptop/pc.

The first family PC came bundled with Windows, but following that we had the option of switching to Linux. The problem we had...the problem I still have...is that every person who has tried to sell my on Linux hasn't been able to explain to me why is better without resorting to a lot of technical jargon that seems excessive to the point of having a computer (for me, at least). Which is simply 'internet and the occasional game'.

That's good but I will wait and see. (Best method so that you cannot let yourself down)

Most wanted on steamOS - no more waiting first time game boot. Some might take up to 20 mins.

Thankfully I can say I've never had to wait more than a few seconds. 20mins? Sounds rage inducing.

Buying a Windows license for a secondary PC for the living room is, IMO, too expensive for what it's worth. SteamOS is free, so that's a plus. Also, Linux has its advantages. Just to name two: memory management and IO speed.

Also, Valve said that they achieved higher performance for their games on Linux compared to Windows... games might be fine without DX?

MikeDown

Banned
Day One: OS
Day Two: Steam Box (Note the circle [software] inside the box)
Day Three: Source 2 and Half-Life 3 (Source 2 and Half Life 3 are both software and would seem to go together, note the plus symbol between them)

But I said first time (first time setup pop up), not after that which it will take a sec too. Because of DirectX and other things.

The licensing agreements behind runtime library installers- at the core of the "wait a minute or so when starting a new game" - is actually one thing that SteamOS would more or less solve, ironically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom