• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The previously cancelled Epic Mickey 2 PC port finds its way to the Czech market

Around the time that Junction Point Studio's closure news broke, Amazon began informing its costumers that Disney told them the PC version of Epic Mickey 2 had been cancelled and it would never come out. That was back in January.

Now, http://www.eurogamer.cz/articles/2013-10-04-dobre-rano-s-eurogamerem-patek-4-rijna

Google translation:

- Comgadu finally managed to convince Disney to let him almost a year later to issue costly Czech dubbing PC version of Epic Mickey 2, which was abolished in the world. It's on sale and costs from the outset only 599 CZK. Comgad also been launched on the market expansion "east" for the popular tiráky Euro Truck Simulator 2, and in his case the price is a localized version is very low (249 CZK).

Basically, Comgad, a video game distributor, convinced Disney to allow the release of the previously cancelled port, because they spent money to produce a costly dub for it and they didn't want to see their money go wasted..

It is available for purchase here: http://www.comgad.cz/obchod/pc-hry/detske/disney-epic-mickey-2-dvojity-zasah

I assume the audio is in Czech only, but maybe there are English subtitles.

It seems the port was already finished and the cancellation of the PC version was just Disney being Disney. Or they were really disappointed with the end product and/or its reception to the point they didn't want to release yet another version of it! In any case I wouldn't hold my breath for a US/WW release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So is this available digitally?

Disney Interactive has always had a strange aversion to Steam -- the only games Disney has on the service as those which LucasArts had already added to the store prior to the buyout, and part of me was worried they'd be pulled. Somebody there has been approving discounts on LA's stuff during sale periods so I'm rather miffed that this hasn't resulted in DI games being added to Steam (most notably Lego Pirates).

red731

Wow. I didn't even know about this.
That's what I get for coming only here and not checking anything local...

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
oh wow ... now I REALLY want to play it on PC ... but that's probably never going to happen :( damn ... they could at least just release it with the languages they already have from the console versions :/

Accoun

Not sure if it's really bump-worthy, but I live in Poland and I just saw this in store today. So it's not Czech-only. I wonder if it appeared somewhere else, too. Like, central/Eastern Europe only (since I guess PC is bigger here than in the west)?

Haven't bought it, since I don't have a decent PC to play games, but it's dubbed as well, I think without English, too.

prudislav

Friend of mine bought it has Czech,English,Polish and Russian voiceovers and Czech,English,Greek,Hungarian, Polish and Russian subtitles.
So its some kind of Eastern version without west languages, but english is there complete (subs +voiceovers)

prudislav

yep i just dont understand if its released in at least one market and game is finished ,why dont they just relase it at least digitally (steam,..) without boxed version costs. Even if game is supposedly bad, there still might be audience for it(parents buying it for small kids)

JaseC

yep i just dont understand if its released in at least one market and game is finished ,why dont they just relase it at least digitally (steam,..) without boxed version costs. Even if game is supposedly bad, there still might be audience for it(parents buying it for small kids)

Disney Interactive has a strong aversion to Steam for some reason -- it hasn't, at any point, published a single game on the service, though somebody at Disney is approving discounts on LucasArts' stuff during sale periods and it's rather annoying that this hasn't resulted in DI's own games being released.

prudislav

yeah - its kinda strange that game is already complete and in Czech/Poland its already out, even activation servers must be online(iirc disney games uses securom), and they dont even release it digitally to rest of the world if physical release is not worth it in rest of the world
EDIT: Hungary confirmed aswell

Serra

Disney Interactive has a strong aversion to Steam for some reason -- it hasn't, at any point, published a single game on the service, though somebody at Disney is approving discounts on LucasArts' stuff during sale periods and it's rather annoying that this hasn't resulted in DI's own games being released.

If they have some problem with Steam, just release it on other digital download services. GOG for example.

I don't see what Disney has to lose if they release it there.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member

Disney Interactive has always had a strange aversion to Steam -- the only games Disney has on the service as those which LucasArts had already added to the store prior to the buyout, and part of me was worried they'd be pulled. Somebody there has been approving discounts on LA's stuff during sale periods so I'm rather miffed that this hasn't resulted in DI games being added to Steam (most notably Lego Pirates).
Which just boggles me more as to why Disney let Activision, Capcom and Sega release their Marvel and Disney games on Steam without any blockade. I presumed that if the Mouse House was 100% allergic to Steam, they'd cockblock those three from reaching Gaben.

Tenrius

They said that they had it available for download at some point, but not anymore and the only remaining option is to purchase the retail version. Not surprising, but still.

prudislav

They said that they had it available for download at some point, but not anymore and the only remaining option is to purchase the retail version. Not surprising, but still.

so it looks like they targeted it for retail eastern(RHCP) release. Weird :) Seems like digital release is problem for Disney

JaseC

Which just boggles me more as to why Disney let Activision, Capcom and Sega release their Marvel and Disney games on Steam without any blockade. I presumed that if the Mouse House was 100% allergic to Steam, they'd cockblock those three from reaching Gaben.

Yeah, DI's allergy is a strange one. The good news is that since Disney has resolved to license out properties rather than publish games itself, DI's rather strange stance won't affect future Disney-based games, though needless to say it appears the publisher's existing PC DD library will continue to sit only in the shadows.

Sharkiller

I can confirm that it's sold in Russia as well. There's even supposedly a digital download available on the 1C store's website, but it's weird: the store page is there, but you can't actually buy the game (http://www.1c-interes.ru/catalog/all6963/14812310, compare, for example, with http://www.1c-interes.ru/catalog/all6963/16548936/, this page has an "add to cart button" and the Mickey one doesn't). I'll contact their support and see what's up.
http://www.1c-interes.ru/basket/?b=14812310

NmckvX9.png

JohngPR

For those still bummed that this game never came out on PC...Disney stealth launched a ton of Disney games on Steam, including Epic Mickey 2!

Linkage

Varg

Banned
This was the worst game I have ever played honestly. I almost broke my wiiu game pad when I played this shit at launch. The framerate is diarrhea.

Top Bottom