• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes releasing Spring 2014 [£30 boxed 360/PS3/DL NG; £20 DL PS3/360]

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Except it is not like the Tanker mission. It is much bigger. If it was like Tanker they wouldn't release it as a separate game. People what happened with common sense?

Modern game industry happened.

EDIT: I don't necessarly mean that Konami will do a quick cash grab with Ground Zeroes, but in an era of online passes, day-one DLCs and skins sold for $5, I can understand why some (including me) are still suspicious.

ArjanN

It's still being developed at Platinum/KojiPro and hopefully we'll have some new details soon. They need a bit of a break, it's their first PC/Steam title. We do have some exciting Rising news coming today/tomorrow, though.

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

Yawnier

Banned
Game better be at least 3 or 4 hours long then in order for me to pay $30 for a boxed copy.

....gah, who I am kidding. This could be only 1 - 2 hours long and I would still buy it anyways.

Except it is not like the Tanker mission. It is much bigger. If it was like Tanker they wouldn't release it as a separate game. People what happened with common sense?

citation_needed.png

See the one guy's post about the modern game industry above. I'm sure, or at least I'm hoping, it's longer than the tanker mission, but I seriously doubt it's as long as a full MGS game. If it were, they'd be charging $60 and would have already announced retailer-specific pre-order bonus DLC and a limited edition featuring an absurdly large statute by now.

citation_needed.png

See the one guy's post about the modern game industry above. I'm sure, or at least I'm hoping, it's longer than the tanker mission, but I seriously doubt it's as long as a full MGS game. If it were, they'd be charging $60 and would have already announced retailer-specific pre-order bonus DLC and a limited edition featuring an absurdly large statute by now.

Not saying it is much bigger than the tanker mission (in terms of content), but the play area in the game suggests that they could pack it out with quite a bit of content...

X6X1pPy.jpg

Not the best screen, but it gives a rough idea of how big the play area in GZ is...

Let us please stop presuming to know what GZ is or isn't - because none of us really fucking knows. Let us instead propose what we expect for $30, and more accurately grief one another for that, instead.

A $30 tanker mission equivalent would be just fine for me, though I am also a Metal Gear freak.

Fireflu

What is the general reasoning I wonder behind pricing a current gen version £10/$10 less than the next gen version.

Does the extra cost come from the extra work that was needed to develop the game on another platform?

Even though we've heard from numerous sources that developing on next gen consoles (specifically the PS4) is considerably easier than on current gen consoles.

It seems like a completely unjustified price hike with no discernible reasons why the two versions should be sold at different costs.

It's like they are charging an extra £10/$10 simply due to the fact that the game has better graphics, or that its on a newer system and therefore its better. But why should the price even reflect this.

If anything it makes more sense to charge less for the next gen versions to encourage more people to switch over and buy the new consoles.

This whole situation is utterly bizarre to me, i'm not even going to get started on why there wont be a next gen retail box version...

Lakitu

st5fu
I'll wait for GAF impressions on this. The fact that it's £30 and digital only on next-gen is off-putting. But if it's really good, I'll get it.

This reminds me, I never did finish the train-wreck that was MGS4.

I guess I should get around to doing that before my current gen pile of shame just gets written off entirely.

Bizubani

Neo Member
What is the general reasoning I wonder behind pricing a current gen version £10/$10 less than the next gen version.

Does the extra cost come from the extra work that was needed to develop the game on another platform?

Even though we've heard from numerous sources that developing on next gen consoles (specifically the PS4) is considerably easier than on current gen consoles.

It seems like a completely unjustified price hike with no discernible reasons why the two versions should be sold at different costs.

It's like they are charging an extra £10/$10 simply due to the fact that the game has better graphics, or that its on a newer system and therefore its better. But why should the price even reflect this.

If anything it makes more sense to charge less for the next gen versions to encourage more people to switch over and buy the new consoles.

This whole situation is utterly bizarre to me, i'm not even going to get started on why there wont be a next gen retail box version...

Maybe they're trying to recoup the cost of the ports given the fact that it'll undoubtedly have lower unit sales on the new consoles. Early adopters are the type that'd pay a bit extra anyhow.

I'll pull the trigger on the PS 3 version unless of course I get the Xbone first, then I'll pay that bit extra.

B.K.

Now I know when I'm getting a PS4. I didn't expect it so soon. I need to start saving for it now. I wish the next gen versions were getting physical releases. I'll end up buying it for PS3 and PS4.

Elios83

I honestly can't say that I'm excited for this after what they have shown at TGS, but I still hope to be proven wrong.

Tookay

Price elasticity. Early adopters are the kind of people who are clearly willing to pay more to get the best experience.

Grinchy

Banned
This reminds me, I never did finish the train-wreck that was MGS4.

I guess I should get around to doing that before my current gen pile of shame just gets written off entirely.

Go into it with the realization that the story is batshit crazy, and watch the cutscenes. Get into it. You will probably end up enjoying it.

I didn't like the story very much the first time I played it, but I played it again recently and loved it all (except the Beauty back stories, that shit will always suck). The ridiculousness of it is fun.

Price elasticity. Early adopters are the kind of people who are clearly willing to pay more to get the best experience.

In the reverse, people purchasing the current gen versions would ask "Why am I paying the same amount for a product with reduced quality?"

Batzi

Banned
In the reverse, people purchasing the current gen versions would ask "Why am I paying the same amount for a product with reduced quality?"

Bro 90% of Metal Gear fans are unfortunately stupid. They jump into conclusions when they are clueless of what's going on. They come up with conclusions that are based on nothing. No confirmation regarding the size of the prologue was made yet they are all somehow convinced that it is a demo or a short game. How they managed to come up with such baseless conclusions is beyond me.

Anyway, I had a question for you, you said there was going to be a "Big Announcement"that will clarify everything. Can you please give us a time frame of when we can expect that announcement? is it going to be before the VGAs or after?

my gut tells me this is going to be some sort of glorified beta test/demo to show off the tech that shows off the gameplay and sets up the story for the next game. It's just the current climate of the industry.

Was hoping for a Wii U version considering the MiiVerse post but I shouldnt ever get my hopes up with this franchise and Nintendo, at least until Kojima goes away.

I don't plan on getting PS4 or One anytime soon so I guess I'm screwed.

Grief.exe

Didnt they announce a PC version for it?

Not yet.

Konami seems to have assembled an internal team for PC ports, with the team currently working on Rising. It would seem strange that Konami wouldn't outsource the Rising port unless they are planning on doing more internal work, see: MGSV.

Bro 90% of Metal Gear fans are unfortunately stupid. They jump into conclusions when they are clueless of what's going on. They come up with conclusions that are based on nothing. No confirmation regarding the size of the prologue was made yet they are all somehow convinced that it is a demo or a short game. How they managed to come up with such baseless conclusions is beyond me.

Anyway, I had a question for you, you said there was going to be a "Big Announcement"that will clarify everything. Can you please give us a time frame of when we can expect that announcement? is it going to be before the VGAs or after?

To our fault, we don't make it easy to disseminate info from our... Cryptic PR messaging.

It will take place before the VGAs.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Now I know when I'm getting a PS4. I didn't expect it so soon. I need to start saving for it now. I wish the next gen versions were getting physical releases. I'll end up buying it for PS3 and PS4.
I'm feeling the same but not until I see how much better the next-gen version looks. If it isn't that significant then fuck it. (But I hope it is!).

To our fault, we don't make it easy to disseminate info from our... Cryptic PR messaging.

It will take place before the VGAs.
Wonderful, thank you.

How stupid do I look? Would I have really paid $30 for JUST the tanker mission in 2000?

Yes, I would've. I paid $50 just for the demo. It just happened to include Zone of the Enders. Hell, I woulda paid $100 just for the tanker mission.

I'm not saying that it's the length or replayability of the Tanker mission. I'm saying think of it as the Tanker mission in the sense that it's to act as prologue to PP. It's obviously going to be a much more robust experience than that though. Also the two will end up playing differently. I feel the Tanker mission had a completely different feel compared to the Big Shell, and not just because of the change of character. PP and GZ will feel different as well since Kojima has said that PP is going to be much bigger due to the open-world nature.

duckroll

Obviously the Tanker is a good comparison in terms of there being a very clear break in tone and setting between that and the rest of the game, but I think we can also look at Virtuous Mission in MGS3 to see what Kojima is trying to accomplish with Ground Zeroes.

What I expect is a mission setup like that, with a bit of a larger area, because it'll be one seamless open zone instead of being broken up into segments like MGS3 was. There'll probably be multiple extractions instead of just one like in the TGS demo, since you'll have to rescue Paz as well. There'll also be a bunch of optional extra ops similar to Peace Walker's design. That's probably where the bulk of the replayability and content will come from, where they simulate different times of the day and weather conditions in that same area, with various objectives.

I think in general it'll be a pretty good showcase of what MGS5 has to offer, and how they're implementing the things they've learned from previous MGS games into an open world setting. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect something that really feels like a complete retail Metal Gear Solid experience. "Demo" might not be the most accurate word here, but it's clearly a stripped down experience meant to give fans a tease of the full game, and in terms of content and pricing its positioned as a premium priced downloadable title because they feel the quality is there. The fact that there's a retail release for this at all is simply so they have a wider reach in terms of sales.

Thanks for all the info you've been giving. Looking foward to GZ and TTP, wondering about the pricing for it all. If you could let those on the business end know we always like the option of physical copies (i.e. PS4 GZ physical copy), we would be grateful.

Will stay tuned for more Rising news.

Thanks for all the info you've been giving. Looking foward to GZ and TTP, wondering about the pricing for it all. If you could let those on the business end know we always like the option of physical copies (i.e. PS4 GZ physical copy), we would be grateful.

Will stay tuned for more Rising news.

Hey, I'm one of you guys! I'd much rather have a physical whenever possible (Phoenix Wright!!!), and every meeting I say the same because I know some people will always treasure the physical (keepsake, trading, etc). Sometimes the stars align, and sometimes they don't, y'know? I'm not in the numbers department so I don't know why "X" title got "Y" treatment, but I trust these guys to make the right decision and that's just how it turned out this time.

Edit: Thanks mods for the tag, makes that a little easier than introducing myself every time.

wanders

Hey, I'm one of you guys! I'd much rather have a physical whenever possible (Phoenix Wright!!!), and every meeting I say the same because I know some people will always treasure the physical (keepsake, trading, etc). Sometimes the stars align, and sometimes they don't, y'know? I'm not in the numbers department so I don't know why "X" title got "Y" treatment, but I trust these guys to make the right decision and that's just how it turned out this time.

Edit: Thanks mods for the tag, makes that a little easier than introducing myself every time.

Tora, I suppose the Rising news is that it will be at a reduced price w/DLC?

NyMartin

Banned
Please bring physical copy to next gen Kojima.
I don't want to have to double dip for the sake of having a box in my collection.

Aye. All DLC is now free and available to anyone with Rising, and Rising with a new retail standard of 30$. That's today's big announcement, anyway.

That IS good news. Great in-fact thanks.

To be OT and pleading for a sec again, when the issue of retail re-releases come up, can you please mention any DLC be put onto the disc instead of a download key? For preservationists, it'd be really sad to lose the Jetstream Sam/Bladewolf DLC in the future.

Again though, thanks for keeping us informed and fighting the good fights.

BadAss2961

this is a scheme, this was or should be part of MGS V
Kojima and the MGS team is one of few that I trust with this idea. Giving us a good taste while they wrap up the greater part of the game. I'm sure the amount of content and the quality of it will be worth the price and leave everyone dying for the rest.

I wonder if anything will carry over from Ground Zeroes to Phantom Pain.

We're still looking to bring those 2 pieces to PSN. And the only free DLC right now is Sam and Bladewolf.

Is it a problem with US exclusivity regarding the Cyborg Ninja DLC? I'm pretty that it is available for purchase in other regions, one poster here said it was available for purchase in Australia I believe.

i'd like to get the PS4 version. the download only stamp makes me kinda hesitant though :( maybe they'll offer a discount later for the upgraded game? hopefully as a packaged version. i need a disc. or a special edition.

DigiMish

Not saying it is much bigger than the tanker mission (in terms of content), but the play area in the game suggests that they could pack it out with quite a bit of content...

X6X1pPy.jpg

Not the best screen, but it gives a rough idea of how big the play area in GZ is...

Isn't it too early to be speculating about the playable area from a single screenshot?

Eoin

That's british pound. In north america it is the same number but in $. UK always pay more. London is the second most expensive city in the world.

I know dude I live 5 miles from London, but a new game here cost £35-£40, not £60. So $30=£30 is fucking insane as a conversion and doubly insane as a value proposition. Any company that starts trying this crap I will not support.

That IS good news. Great in-fact thanks.

To be OT and pleading for a sec again, when the issue of retail re-releases come up, can you please mention any DLC be put onto the disc instead of a download key? For preservationists, it'd be really sad to lose the Jetstream Sam/Bladewolf DLC in the future.

Again though, thanks for keeping us informed and fighting the good fights.

I can actually totally respond to this question without revealing secret info, yay!

(NOTE: THE FOLLOWING BELOW IS MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND DOES NOT IN ANYWAY REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT, PARTNERS OR OTHER)

You have to think of it from both a business and technical standpoint. Usually, putting additional content onto an already-printed SKU requires that SKU to be reclassified and resubmitted (now that the content on disk is different than the vanilla product it is technically a "new" game), which has additional costs and additional time associated with it. Some of the new changes would require additional copies of the game to be printed with new box-art, reclassified, go through rigorous testing, additional legal, creative (packaging, manual), have a new listing on Digital Storefront, negotiate with retailers for shelf space, etc. That's a lot of money and manpower!

If a game/book/movie is really, REALLY popular and already sold through a bundle (like I assume it was for Batman: Arkham City), then it's totally worth it, and can bring in new revenue. So re-issuing new copies becomes a cost/benefit analysis of "what can we afford to do in a re-print?" In most cases it would be a new box, maybe some new creative, but the priciest option is putting additional content onto the disk.

As a general rule of thumb, if you have to ask why company X would do Y action, it almost always falls back to "would not be sufficiently profitable" and what I've said applies to just about any creative work, including games, movies, books and music. That's why many have opted for digital downloads, which is a remarkably cheap and easy way to do it.

Whew! I think that was sufficiently platform/company/industry neutral to not raise any ire.

I can actually totally respond to this question without revealing secret info, yay!

(NOTE: THE FOLLOWING BELOW IS MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND DOES NOT IN ANYWAY REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT, PARTNERS OR OTHER)

You have to think of it from both a business and technical standpoint. Usually, putting additional content onto an already-printed SKU requires that SKU to be reclassified and resubmitted (now that the content on disk is different than the vanilla product it is technically a "new" game), which has additional costs and additional time associated with it. Some of the new changes would require additional copies of the game to be printed with new box-art, reclassified, go through rigorous testing, additional legal, creative (packaging, manual), have a new listing on Digital Storefront, negotiate with retailers for shelf space, etc. That's a lot of money and manpower!

If a game/book/movie is really, REALLY popular and already sold through a bundle (like I assume it was for Batman: Arkham City), then it's totally worth it, and can bring in new revenue. So re-issuing new copies becomes a cost/benefit analysis of "what can we afford to do in a re-print?" In most cases it would be a new box, maybe some new creative, but the priciest option is putting additional content onto the disk.

As a general rule of thumb, if you have to ask why company X would do Y action, it almost always falls back to "would not be sufficiently profitable" and what I've said applies to just about any creative work, including games, movies, books and music. That's why many have opted for digital downloads, which is a remarkably cheap and easy way to do it.

Whew! I think that was sufficiently platform/company/industry neutral to not raise any ire.

Hmm, I guess a PC versions isn't sufficiently profitable then :(

Top Bottom