• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes releasing Spring 2014 [£30 boxed 360/PS3/DL NG; £20 DL PS3/360]

Shopto listed GZ and TPP as two separate games like a month ago. The release date however was TBC.
mgs5-mgsgz-shopto.png

Today, after the official announcement they removed the PS4/XB1 versions and listed the PS360 ones with 8th of March as a release date. This might be true because it was said that a "small MGS", which is GZ, will come this FY ending March 2014.

Sounds right if they're saying Spring.

Qassim

Do we know the amount of content this game has? The way people are declaring this a "glorified demo" seems like they've seen information I haven't.

Dammit, why is this digital only on PS4/Xbone? That makes zero sense to me. Really hope they make a physical copy of this for next-gen.

I'll wait for impressions first before seeing if I'll get it.

Timeaisis

I could think of a few scenarios where I'd be OK with this:

1) If Ground Zeroes is a much bigger game than we're currently imagining (which is honestly how I thought it was before Konami confused us more with the "two-part experience" BS).

2) If Ground Zeroes is stand-alone, but then the full Phantom Pain can be downloaded fully on top of it for $30 more. Like GZ: $30, PP Upgrade: $30. Obviously that's $60 for an entire game, fine by me.

And obviously, for that last portion have a $60 MGSV: GZ and PP edition with both games.

I'm reserving judgment, as I still want this game. Konami's marketing hasn't done a very good job at making us understand what GZ is in relation to MGSV.

Batzi

Banned
Anyone who thinks he/she is paying money for a demo is an idiot. It is not a demo. It is a stand alone game. Prologue is not demo. 1 mission does not mean it is short.

Can we please wait until we have more info before jumping to conclusions?

RangerBAD

Do we know the amount of content this game has? The way people are declaring this a "glorified demo" seems like they've seen information I haven't.

I'm making an assumption by saying that, but that's really what I feel it is. Kojima has said that this was a sort of tutorial or prologue to MGSV. First thing that comes to my mind is the Tanker Mission. It's part of the story, but it still seems like it'll act like a demo. There maybe be some side missions we can do, but I don't think of it as a full game.

Timeaisis

Anyone who thinks he/she is paying money for a demo is an idiot. It is not a demo. It is a stand alone game. Prologue is not demo. 1 mission does not mean it is short.

Yeah, I agree here. I don't think their marketing has done a great job explaining what's going on with this. We're all under the impression the GZ is a small prologue, but it could be a much larger experience. It's really hard to know for sure until more details emerge.

I'm hoping for GZ to be a full-fledged game, as it should be.

Seeing how we don't really know how big GZ is, this info is kinda useless, no?

It is, but we have a rough idea of how big GZ is in terms of play area. Content wise it's still up in the air.

Case Zero was $5

Yeah, but this may offer a lot more content. I'd love for this to be cheaper and think it's pretty damn disgusting of Konami to charge £20 - £30 for this, but the amount of content in the game could justify the price point. It probably won't, but I'll remain optimistic until we know for certain.

Blader

It's not a standalone game. It's akin to the Tanker chapter of MGS2 or the Virtuous Mission of MGS3. It's just the opening mission, a tutorial, i.e. a demo.

I'll be willing to shell out $30 for PS4 but i might wait till i hear about the content, i mean if its about 8hrs or more with some incentive to go back and replay, than $30 is fine in fact, fantastic compare to the asinine bs that are those games that don't even last 5 hrs for the $60 price.

I don't think their marketing has done a great job explaining what's going on with this.

As part of the marketing department I both agree and hope you'll sympathize. We know we haven't been the best at explaining it (understatement), but we've had a limited amount of what we can and can't say.

You will be hearing more about this very soon.

BadWolf

As part of the marketing department I both agree and hope you'll sympathize. We know we haven't been the best at explaining it (understatement), but we've had a limited amount of what we can and can't say.

You will be hearing more about this very soon.

RK9039

If the main potion of GZ last around 6 hours, no one can complain about that as it's not full retail price.

Most people love Rising which is also around 6 hours, but that game was 60 dorrars, full retail price.

Could you imagine paying 30$ for this and then paying 60$ for MGSV and finding out Ground Zeroes was included? I think that's what a lot of us are thinking. But for a lot of us wanting the next MGS outweighs our common sense. lol

They probably won't do that when TPP comes out. They might do that eventually when they come out with the GOTY edition or something to that effect.

RangerBAD

Could you imagine paying 30$ for this and then paying 60$ for MGSV and finding out Ground Zeroes was included? I think that's what a lot of us are thinking. But for a lot of us wanting the next MGS outweighs our common sense. lol

BadWolf

This right here is my issue.

Boke1879

Kojima and Konami PR better get all over this and explain what's actually included if they plan on charging that much. If it's literally just one mission NO ONE should pay for this.

If it's one story mission and multiple Other Ops missions will lots of replay value then I can see justification.

They better get ahead of this or else the perception will be that they are nickel and diming.

They are two separate games.

I asked Konami's twitter regarding PS4 physical edition and...

@Konami: We'll be announcing more details regarding the packaged version of #MGS V: Ground Zeroes at a later date, stay tuned

Huh, I guess it hasn't been set in stone.

PS4 will not be getting a physical edition. That answer was in regards to what will be included in the retail version (PS3/X360). I'll make sure my associate is more clear in the future.

Boke1879

I'm guessing with enough demand they'll release a physical version. I have to ask though. If they are making a physical version even if it's just for current gen. It has to have more content than just one mission right? Why even go through all the trouble?

IllumiNate

This is Neogaf bro!

So it won't be included with MGSV: TPP. I guess you can't talk about the content or its length in regards to GZ?

I have no guarantee of my safety from MSF hit-squads if I were to divulge that classified info. We do have a big announcement coming soon-ish that should shed some light on those questions, though.

iLLmAtlc

hey guys not sure if this has been posted yet but a blog post sets out some of gameplay info, seems like the stuff you'd find on the back of the box:

INTRODUCTION TO OPEN WORLD DESIGN - The first Metal Gear Solid title to offer open world gameplay. Ground Zeroes offers total freedom of play: how missions are undertaken is entirely down to the user.

UNRESTRICTED STEALTH - Imagine classic Metal Gear gameplay but with no restrictions or boundaries. Players use intelligence and cerebral strategy to sneak their way through entire missions, or go in all guns blazing. Each will have different effects on game consequences and advancement.

MULTIPLE MISSIONS AND TASKS - Ground Zeroes boasts a central story mode and additional side-missions ranging from tactical action, aerial assaults and ?covert? stages that will be sure to surprise.

REDESIGNED INTERFACE - Ground Zeroes users will benefit from a clean in-game HUD that shows the minimal amount of on-screen data to give a more intense gaming experience.

VARIOUS IN-GAME WEATHER SETTINGS - Ground Zeroes will test the player in a variety of time and weather environments that will be central to METAL GEAR SOLID V: The Phantom Pain. Use night conditions to your advantage, or poor weather as strategic cover.

http://uk.games.konami-europe.com/blog.do#blog-entry-237

Reule

I'd wait to hear more details before getting bent out of shape about how much content there will be for GZ. I'd like to have faith that there will be a substantial amount but I'm not going to blow my top off with what little information we have now.

I'm more annoyed that there's a difference in price between the current gen and next-gen release. Not to mention being digital only for the latter.

The fact sheet says 1 player. It would be nice if they included exclusive beta access for MGO3 though.
Yes! I still remember coming into Gamestop everyday waiting for the Metal Gear Saga Vol.2/MGO2 Beta to come in.

RangerBAD

So this still could come with TPP and still be "two seperate games". I'm not taking jabs at ToraShiro. GZ could come bundled as a download voucher (for next gen) with the TPP. Or a physical bundle for current gen.

hey guys not sure if this has been posted yet but a blog post sets out some of gameplay info, seems like the stuff you'd find on the back of the box:

http://uk.games.konami-europe.com/blog.do#blog-entry-237

MULTIPLE MISSIONS AND TASKS - Ground Zeroes boasts a central story mode and additional side-missions ranging from tactical action, aerial assaults and ?covert? stages that will be sure to surprise.

Sounds good to me. Nice amount of variety, I just hope they have some meat to them...

Top Bottom