• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

Gestahl

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the last part because how could she do anything after she's been turned into a summon/fayth?

Unless you have to be a fayth to do what she did.

I thought all summoners had to do to make someone unsent was complete inaction since their whole frigging job is sending people but who knows this book is like crazy town jpn so I'm guessing any rules and logic are out the window

Esura

Banned
That's the jist of it but there's probably some stuff I got wrong I don't know caring about FFX is really painful these days.

EDIT: Posted it again trying to edit, my bad.

Wait...what?

I'm so confused right now.

Let me get this straight. Lady summoner didn't want her guardian/lover to become a Fayth so she fucks a male summoner to become a Fayth instead of her guardian/lover. Guardian beats the shit out of the summoner, and I assume guardian gets killed by an Al Bhed out of nowhere. Lady summoner who is a Fayth now makes her guardian/lover an unsent afterwards out of pity. Right?

Wait...what?

I'm so confused right now.

Let me get this straight. Lady summoner didn't want her guardian/lover to become a summon so she fucks a male summoner to become a summoning instead of her guardian/lover. Guardian beats the shit out of the summoner, and I assume guardian gets killed by an Al Bhed. Lady summoner who is an Aeon now makes her guardian/lover an unsent afterwards.

From what I'm reading this is what I've taken away from it... The only thing I don't understand is: Did she fuck a male summoner in exchange for his life as her summon (Y'know, hey baby you can fuck me if you become a summon... Or was it like a ritual in order to make a summon?)

Esura

Banned
From what I'm reading this is what I've taken away from it... The only thing I don't understand is: Did she fuck a male summoner in exchange for his life as her summon (Y'know, hey baby you can fuck me if you become a summon... Or was it like a ritual in order to make a summon?)

I assume its the other way around, that she becomes the Fayth for the other summoner. I assume it's a ritual.

Zoe

She becomes the summon because she thought her guard wouldn't want to.

Need more details on the ritual though.

Esura

Banned
I don't think extreme cynicism is exclusive to GAF.

lol true.

I think the only FF game with a plot line that could be almost borderline NTR is the stuff between Lucrecia, Hojo and Vincent in the FFVII series. Or maybe I'm extremely misremembering things.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
I just became aware of this today. I'm not sure I want another sequel.

Did Nojima really write this? Some parts were pretty bad.

If done right, all of this might not be too bad. It's possible that eventhough Sin is back, it's not really the main threat. There might be something larger in play. Yuna and Kurugum may know something about it and are lying to distance themselves away from the people they care about.

I loved X. X-2 wasn't that good. X-3 should not happen if it can't be done right in my opinion. Square should not ruin the series.

Erigu

Let me get this straight. Lady summoner didn't want her guardian/lover to become a Fayth so she fucks a male summoner to become a Fayth instead of her guardian/lover. Guardian beats the shit out of the summoner, and I assume guardian gets killed by an Al Bhed out of nowhere. Lady summoner who is a Fayth now makes her guardian/lover an unsent afterwards out of pity. Right?
Well, I'd like to think the novel gave those characters somewhat valid motivations for their actions, but yes.

Esura

Banned
Well, I'd like to think the novel gave those characters somewhat valid motivations for their actions, but yes.

Motivations seem simple enough to understand. Lady summoner didn't want her man to have to go through the process of being a Fayth so she does it in his stead. Guardian pissed off probably because of a combination of that and her getting fucked by another man (even if it was only for a sacred magic self killing ritual). Dunno what the male summoner thinks. What I don't get is why she made him an unsent? While it can be perceived as an act of pity, it seems kind of cruel.

Wazzy

Banned
Well, at the very least Wakka and Lulu are still married to each other right?

They're the true OTP of FFX anyways.
I hate Wakka and Lulu :(

I honestly think Wakka and Rikku would have been perfect if she had been a couple years older. The storyline of Wakka basically being racist and then accepting Rikku would have been way better than "oh you loved my bro but now you'll end up with me" was boringggg

Zoe

What I don't get is why she made him an unsent? While it can be perceived as an act of pity, it seems kind of cruel.

That's where the parallels come in. The spoiler suggests that the wife and child came after he was turned into an unsent.

Esura

Banned
That's where the parallels come in. The spoiler suggests that the wife and child came after he was turned into an unsent.

So the guardian ended up marrying someone else down the line and producing an offspring?

So wouldn't the offspring be half unsent/pyreflies/something?

What if Tidus knocks up Yuna at the end of FFX-3? Mysteries.....

Erigu

Motivations seem simple enough to understand. Lady summoner didn't want her man to have to go through the process of being a Fayth so she does it in his stead.
But why did they need a Fayth so badly? And does it really help all that much, now that they've lost a summoner?

Guardian pissed off probably because of a combination of that and her getting fucked by another man (even if it was only for a sacred magic self killing ritual). Dunno what the male summoner thinks. What I don't get is why she made him an unsent? While it can be perceived as an act of pity, it seems kind of cruel.
And all that, plus the guardian getting killed by an Al Bhed.
I imagine at least some of it is answered in the novel. I just don't know how much nor how convincing it will all be. And when I see stuff like "Yevon and Yunalesca actually were massacring all other summoners" (whah? didn't Zanarkand need its summoners?), "Bevelle also had summoners, and Zanarkand also had machines" (... but I thought...?), "Yuna now has to make sure Tidus never finds out he's made of Pyreflies" (he always was made of Pyreflies! and he's known that for a while, too! is it more about his new "unsent"-like nature? didn't seem to bother Auron...), I don't find it particularly encouraging either...

Just read that update and

WUT

Yeah. WTF.

I'm seriously at a loss for words. This is all firmly way past original-material-raping fanfic territory now.

Was there always this level of batshit craziness at Square? I mean, how much goddamn filtering and whipping back in line did the long-gone yet sane people at Squaresoft have to do back in the day?

Wait so does this mean they are going to continue the story of FFX? Are you going to see more in a form of a game or is this just fanfic, I'm terribly confused.

Esura

Banned
But why did they need a Fayth so badly? And does it really help all that much, now that they've lost a summoner?

Depends on when that bit takes place. If it was during the earlier portions of the war between Zanarkand and Beville, then yeah they probably needed one badly.

And all that, plus the guardian getting killed by an Al Bhed.
I imagine at least some of it is answered in the novel. I just don't know how much nor how convincing it will all be. And when I see stuff like "Yevon and Yunalesca actually were massacring all other summoners" (whah? didn't Zanarkand need its summoners?), "Bevelle also had summoners, and Zanarkand also had machines" (... but I thought...?), "Yuna now has to make sure Tidus never finds out he's made of Pyreflies" (he always was made of Pyreflies! and he's known that for a while, too! is it more about his new "unsent"-like nature? didn't seem to bother Auron...), I don't find it particularly encouraging either...

Yu Yevon used the surviving populace of Zanarkand as Fayths to craft Sin since they were getting their ass handed to them by Bevelle and their machines during that war. Bevelle's main assets are their advanced technology more than their summoning techniques. I don't get why Tidus needs to remain unaware that he is made of pyreflies though, seems weird. Or how could an odd entity like Tidus could become an unsent in the first place since he's not really human.

SOLDIER

Has Kotaku or somebody done a piece on this yet?

This whole thing is so outrageously bad and offensive I'm hoping for as bigger public outcry so Square can apologize and retcon this nonsense.

Final Fantasy X: A Sequel Reborn

MogCakes

Or how could an odd entity like Tidus could become an unsent in the first place since he's not really human.

Yeah I don't understand that either.
He was a dream in the first place, so technically he was already made of pyreflies.

Erigu

Depends on when that bit takes place. If it was during the earlier portions of the war between Zanarkand and Beville, then yeah they probably needed one badly.
Yet that cost them a summoner (and you'd want more summoners than fayths).
Yet Yevon and Yunalesca wanted to kill all summoners so they could be the only ones left.
No wonder they lost that war...

Bevelle's main assets are their advanced technology more than their summoning techniques.
It's just that, before the novel, the idea was that the war was Zanarkand = summoners vs. Bevelle = machines, and I don't see the point in changing that (assuming it's a conscious change and not simply Nojima being forgetful). Is it beneficial to the story in any way?
In fact, it seems to me that Yevon and Yunalesca's whole Sin gambit made a lot more sense back when Zanarkand was supposed to have the monopoly on summoning. Wouldn't Bevelle knowing how these things work beforehand (instead of having to rely on Yunalesca's conveniently limited crash course in order to fight Sin, I mean) make that plan a great deal likelier to fail?

Esura

Banned
Yeah I don't understand that either.
He was a dream in the first place, so technically he was already made of pyreflies.

This reminds me, are unsent made of pyreflies as well? When you see certain unsent people in FFX get sent, they kind of disintegrate into individual pyreflies or pyrefly looking things that moves on to the Farplane.

Yet that cost them a summoner (and you'd want more summoners than fayths).
Yet Yevon and Yunalesca wanted to kill all summoners so they could be the only ones left.
No wonder they lost that war...

In a way, they won, albeit a Pyrrhic victory. They lost Zanarkand completely but their enemy Bevelle and other lesser states all became indoctrinated under the teachings of Yevon through the fear of Sin. They even abandoned their advanced technology. They praise his name and they hold Yunalesca to an extremely high regard.

It's just that, before the novel, the idea was that the war was Zanarkand = summoners vs. Bevelle = machines, and I don't see the point in changing that (assuming it's a conscious change and not simply Nojima being forgetful). Is it beneficial to the story in any way?
In fact, it seems to me that Yevon and Yunalesca's whole Sin gambit made a lot more sense back when Zanarkand was supposed to have the monopoly on summoning. Wouldn't Bevelle knowing how these things work beforehand (instead of having to rely on Yunalesca's conveniently limited crash course in order to fight Sin, I mean) make that plan a great deal likelier to fail?

From what I'm getting from some of the spoilers of this novel, Bevelle knew a lesser form of summoning that was vastly inferior to Zanarkand's ways.

I've ignored this thread up till now since I didn't care about adding more story to the final fantasy X universe, but decided to click after seeing the title change.

Is this real life. Is Square Enix really going to possible make a FF X-3?
At least we got some funny gifs from this.
I have to follow this news now to see where this train is headed.

Erigu

This reminds me, are unsent made of pyreflies as well? When you see certain unsent people in FFX get sent, they kind of disintegrate into individual pyreflies or pyrefly looking things that moves on to the Farplane.
Which is why readers are puzzled over Tidus's new status: are things really all that different? The novel is clearly saying "yes! it's a zomg-shocking-gamechanger!" but fails to make a compelling (or even clear) argument as to how and why. Which makes Tidus's death seem pointless on top of being extremely silly, awkward, etc.

In a way, they won, albeit a Pyrrhic victory. They lost Zanarkand completely but their enemy Bevelle and other lesser states all became indoctrinated under the teachings of Yevon through the fear of Sin. They even abandoned their advanced technology. They praise his name and they hold Yunalesca to an extremely high regard.
The idea was that it was plan Z though, right? They did that because they were losing, it's not like losing the war was part of the plan. Or that would be fairly ridiculous, wouldn't it?

From what I'm getting from some of the spoilers of this novel, Bevelle knew a lesser form of summoning that was vastly inferior to Zanarkand's ways.
I was under the impression that part was actually referring to post-war Bevelle... Ah, well. For minute details like that, I'll have to wait for the actual book, I think.

This whole thing is so outrageously bad and offensive I'm hoping for as bigger public outcry so Square can apologize and retcon this nonsense.

Final Fantasy X: A Sequel Reborn

No article has been written about it yet, other than that they want to do an X-3. I wouldn't expect an article out of a novel/audio drama... They probably aren't invested into the story like us anyway, so they wouldn't know what they're talking about.

I would agree with you, but SE's shown with Lightning and XIII-saga that they're just gonna wanna pull whatever batshit insane shit they wanna pull.

SOLDIER

I would agree with you, but SE's shown with Lightning and XIII-saga that they're just gonna wanna pull whatever batshit insane shit they wanna pull.

It's an official story involving the dismemberment and sexual exploitation of characters far more beloved than the ones in FFXIII. Did I mention the cheap gore and sex?

Someone needs to talk about it. Angrily.

MogCakes

insult? What insult. my point was also the same, you just didn't get it.
what I wrote was that you might like whatever you want, I also played and enjoyed awful games, but I didn't pretend that they were not garbage nor I didn't prented to don't see all the flaws.

I'm not ignoring XIII's numerous and glaring flaws, but I'm also not going to assert my personal opinion of the game as a fact. I have seen too many people attempt to do this over the past few days with both XII and XIII. That was the intent of my reply to you.

EDIT:

MogCakes

Which is why readers are puzzled over Tidus's new status: are things really all that different? The novel is clearly saying "yes! it's a zomg-shocking-gamechanger!" but fails to make a compelling (or even clear) argument as to how and why. Which makes Tidus's death seem pointless on top of being extremely silly, awkward, etc.

I remember unsent being made of pyreflies as well, but in X Tidus was different in a way because he was purely a dream and never really 'alive'. Not sure what the state of his existence at the end of X-2 was when he got reincarnated.

EDIT: dammit double posted by accident. :/

Mexi

Banned
Final Fantasy X had a stupid plot but these new things are making it even more stupid.

I think we should give it a rest and stop speculating about this bullshit.

Erigu

I remember unsent being made of pyreflies as well, but in X Tidus was different in a way because he was purely a dream and never really 'alive'. Not sure what the state of his existence at the end of X-2 was when he got reincarnated.
Not sure either, and considering that lasted a grand total of two days, I don't think anybody could be! And how are we supposed to care, in these conditions?

Zoe

It's an official story involving the dismemberment and sexual exploitation of characters far more beloved than the ones in FFXIII. Did I mention the cheap gore and sex?

Someone needs to talk about it. Angrily.
What beloved characters are being sexually exploited?

What beloved characters are being sexually exploited?

I dunno about full blown "exploited" but the summary makes it seem like Yuna's totally being objectified (way past X-2 levels) and Tidus is being creepy. X had amazing story and characterization. Not saying there's no room for any of that if you're gonna believe they're multi-dimensional characters, but the way they seem to do it in this new story seems uncharacteristically crude for them, and all reeks of a device for waifu/fanservice pandering.

Top Bottom