• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

Kunan

And here I thought that for all my uncertainty, FFXV's story was at least guaranteed to be amazing. Nojima really wrote this? I don't know what to think anymore.

Zoe

I dunno about full blown "exploited" but the summary makes it seem like Yuna's totally being objectified (way past X-2 levels) and Tidus is being creepy. X had amazing story and characterization. Not saying there's no room for any of that if you're gonna believe they're multi-dimensional characters, but the way they seem to do it in this new story seems uncharacteristically crude for them, and all reeks of a device for waifu/fanservice pandering.

For crying out loud, we've only heard about one exchange of dialogue.

For crying out loud, we've only heard about one exchange of dialogue.

That's hardly the only isolated problem. There's the whole thing with
Sin coming back
. I mean, seriously? Could they have opted for a less inspired idea? And the whole
Tidus and Yuna breaking up. Let's face it, they break up but obviously will get back together somehow in the end.
. It all reads like rehashed waifu drama.

You're right, we haven't seen or heard this thing for ourselves. But Toriyama's and SE's track record (especially with direct sequels here) is not exactly a source of confidence. It's extremely fair for fans to be revolted.

I dunno about full blown "exploited" but the summary makes it seem like Yuna's totally being objectified (way past X-2 levels) and Tidus is being creepy. X had amazing story and characterization. Not saying there's no room for any of that if you're gonna believe they're multi-dimensional characters, but the way they seem to do it in this new story seems uncharacteristically crude for them, and all reeks of a device for waifu/fanservice pandering.

Not to defend what is sounding like a pretty bad novel, but I think you're getting a little too worked up about it. I don't think Tidus saying something like "I hope we don't get attacked right now, I'm a little distracted" to his swimsuit-clad girlfriend is exploitation or objectification or anything like that.

Eh...think I'll wait for a more thorough translation before I get all worked up again.

That's hardly the only isolated problem. There's the whole thing with
Sin coming back
. I mean, seriously? Could they have opted for a less inspired idea?

If you've watched the translated audio drama on YouTube, it seems like
Tidus and Lulu, at least, are more worried about something else coming back...like they see Sin coming back as a sign that something else could,
and immediately spring into action upon realizing it.

The audio drama's not TOO bad on its own as a setup, if a bit lazy.

Dragon

Banned

I can't take anyone seriously that thinks that X had amazing story and characterization.

Anyway I'm hungry, I'm going to just shout I need food.

Wazzy

Banned
As mentioned earlier, the audio drama in the OP should be updated with the English text and with a new summary.

I can't take anyone seriously that thinks that X had amazing story and characterization.

Anyway I'm hungry, I'm going to just shout I need food.

The game had characters that I ended up caring about, and a story that actually made an emotional connection. What problems did you have with it? Keep in mind it's a product of its time, and one of the very first RPG's to tackle the fully cinematic route and offer voice-acting on the scale that it did. Even in its outdated state, it offers a better cast and plot than most of the FF's that followed it. (Not to mention plenty of modern games on today's market.)

Edit:

Lol guess this was a typical "This game/story sucks cause I said so" hit-n-run post? Well hot damn, totally convinced me there.

If you've watched the translated audio drama on YouTube, it seems like
Tidus and Lulu, at least, are more worried about something else coming back...like they see Sin coming back as a sign that something else could,
and immediately spring into action upon realizing it.

The audio drama's not TOO bad on its own as a setup, if a bit lazy.

That seems more acceptable I guess but still kinda trite. The set up alone doesn't doom the project but as I mentioned, SE's track-record with this sort of thing is hardly glowing with amazing output.

Ah, I had forgotten I could actually edit the OP (but not the title). I removed the fan summaries of the audio drama and linked to the English version.

Finalow

You seem to miss his/her point. You are still trying to superimpose what you perceive as shit or garbage as some sort of fact. What if he isn't pretending and likes everything about said game and don't see what you see as flaws? Its ok that you might think the game is awful but that doesn't mean that he should.
I know what you mean but then again, I don't agree. I mean, you don't care, you don't notice or whatever, ok, sure, but if a story is really bad written and dumb, it's not a matter of opinions.

Esura

Banned
Which is why readers are puzzled over Tidus's new status: are things really all that different? The novel is clearly saying "yes! it's a zomg-shocking-gamechanger!" but fails to make a compelling (or even clear) argument as to how and why. Which makes Tidus's death seem pointless on top of being extremely silly, awkward, etc.

I wonder what possessed Nojima to kill off Tidus in the most lamest way possible.

The idea was that it was plan Z though, right? They did that because they were losing, it's not like losing the war was part of the plan. Or that would be fairly ridiculous, wouldn't it?

Good point. I think they were getting their ass handed to them.

I was under the impression that part was actually referring to post-war Bevelle... Ah, well. For minute details like that, I'll have to wait for the actual book, I think.

Knowing Square's track record, it will never come.

I remember unsent being made of pyreflies as well, but in X Tidus was different in a way because he was purely a dream and never really 'alive'. Not sure what the state of his existence at the end of X-2 was when he got reincarnated.

EDIT: dammit double posted by accident. :/

I he was still a dream of the Fayth at the end of FFX-2, which is why Yuna was wondering if was going to disappear or not. But that still just leaves open more questions.

I know what you mean but then again, I don't agree. I mean, you don't care, you don't notice or whatever, ok, sure, but if a story is really bad written and dumb, it's not a matter of opinions.

Actually, its...very much so a matter of opinions. Certain aspects of a story can be objectively critiqued, like maybe a piece of dialog lacking proper grammar or a story contradicting it's rules and whatnot but a story being "dumb" is entirely a matter of opinion no matter what you say. Also, with the way a lot of people in gaming go around saying something is poorly written with such weak explanations that might as well be an opinion as well at this point.

In all the hubbub, I think we're forgetting to ask the most important question -

Who created and planted the bomb? My money's on Kimahri - always wanted Yuna for himself.

I he was still a dream of the Fayth at the end of FFX-2, which is why Yuna was wondering if was going to disappear or not. But that still just leaves open more questions.

Agreed. The open-ended nature did seem to fit though - there never needed to be closure with that story since Tidus never should have existed in Yuna's world initially. Not saying the quality is the same, but it reminds me a bit of Inception's ending. Does it matter, ultimately?

Erigu

Knowing Square's track record, it will never come.
The Japanese book, I mean.

I he was still a dream of the Fayth at the end of FFX-2, which is why Yuna was wondering if was going to disappear or not.
Note that this is in the 100% ending, which is set after the events of the novel. So now, according to the novel, during that scene, Yuna is actually thinking "dude, you don't even know what you're talking about, there".
Awkward? Off-putting? Yep. Good job, Nojima.

In all the hubbub, I think we're forgetting to ask the most important question -
Who created and planted the bomb?
Guys from 1000 years ago.
Tidus has the worst luck, doesn't he?

Faustek

Yeah so finally had time to watch the "translated" vid...still no news on where one can acquire the novella?

Anyway, holy jebus it didn't make it any better. This sounds as utter crap imo. Yuna pushes away Tidus because of what? Real stupid passe "waah he dead, must send him away no wanna so better yadayada lie because reasons"

The One True Waifu hunt commences!

Stuff that has potential to be great(don't like Chuami for one second, voice actors fault?)
Anyway:
Shuyin comes back, or perhaps something original?
Kurgum gets denied
Kurgum stupidly tries anyway.
Smack Shuyin, Tidus no longer weak because he eats Shuyin to regain something for something.
Chuami confesses that she hates Lulu because flat chested women apparently despises fully breasted women.
Lulu smacks her into place.
Smack Sin
Real baddy shows up
Commence the good part of the game...I hope
Stupid Shit
Good Stuff
Stupid Shit
Great Stuff
The one True Waifu(decide yourself if I mean Tidus or Yuna) achieved.
Baddy defeated
Incomplete ending leaving tons of questions

June 2014. Final Fantasy X-3 announced - Special Cameo Lightning!(must sell the leftover Merch)
June 2015. Final Fantasy X-3:2 announced - Special Cameo <insert whoever they must try to milk>

Not saying the games will be crap...but as of now this just seems incredibly bile inducing.

Edit: was ahead of myself

Anytime I google translate that page I stare at it for a good 10 minutes trying to decypher it.

People think is shit. Although you can't fully understand the reviews you can clearly see they didn't like it.

Edit: I'm a bit sad the NTR is not about Yuna and Tidus, I hate NTR but at the same time I really wanted to Nojima go full batshit. Maybe in X-3!!

I would say "eh maybe it not so bad but when even Japanese folks aren't reacting so warmly to the novel...I mean what more can be said here.

1.0 out of 5 stars How do I get rid of existence 2013/12/29
By Jedi
Format: Paperback | purchased at Amazon.co.jp
The "I want to in that there was no". It is this book.
It is not in the "good to be read."
So, my only do not know what I did not read, the story is present.
Why did we in this treatment, the presence of the Tiida the story complete than 10 years ago, has become a good memory of the player.
This book is a problem work that would reduce the motivation of playing HD Remastered.
The more it is the story of 10 is in the love, you are not allowed to read absolutely.
Square Enix after all. It is not to fall in just.
It makes Yarakashi always something.
Mashi was Tsunishi 5 star rating of HD remastered, but if, voice drama if you were this content,
it will be, which has been in three star.

This tells me everything I need to know about the book.

Road

Reading this thread, I'm suddenly happy all Square Enix is doing with with FFV and VI is vomiting all over them and releasing them on iOS/Android. I cannot being to imagine what sort of pathetic drivel they could come up with if they decided to touch the story.

This is making the Compilation of FFVII seem reasonable. I mean, Tidus kicked bomb... I'm just gonna assume this is 2ch trolling us baka gaijin.

Moosehole

Ok so I'm just now seeing all this for the first time...

And now I am going to go back the way I came and try to forget this exists.

Wazzy

Banned
Why the summaries were deleted? Still what a trainwreck...

Because they weren't completely accurate and the OP needed an update with the subititled audio drama. It was also making people react far worse to the audio drama when it's not even the issue.

The sad thing is that there a lot of idiots defending this but oh well.

Er... You shouldn't call someone an idiot for having a different opinion. Everyone can have a valid opinion of a game or the story of a game. We shouldn't outright call them an idiot for liking something even if it's terrible to the majority of people. I'm sure you have certain tastes for things that you like that other people don't.

Gaming, television, books, and movies can all have an attribute of taste affiliated with them. Because like food, taste is personal and subjective to one self.

Consider this:

You: I like the taste of cheese.
Me: You like the taste of cheese? You are an idiot.

As you can see, the above example of having a different taste and calling them an idiot, doesn't really fit well with food. The same should be said about anything resembling a personal taste. It is important to have different opinions so we may have different discussions and enrich our minds. Feel free to argue your point all you want, that's a good thing; however, please do not take to calling someone an idiot for having a dissenting opinion than your own.

Me and the other 2 "idiots" who are giving it a chance thank you for listening.

Midou

Ok so I'm just now seeing all this for the first time...

And now I am going to go back the way I came and try to forget this exists.

prFQtug.gif

Yep. This certainly proves Square Enix's unbelievably idiotic stories extend beyond FFXIII.

You: I like the taste of cheese.
Me: You like the taste of cheese? You are an idiot.

It's more like 'I like the taste of mouldy bread'.

prFQtug.gif

Yep. This certainly proves Square Enix's unbelievably idiotic stories extend beyond FFXIII.

It's more like 'I like the taste of mouldy bread'.

Let's stick with cheese. Some cheese is full of mold. Some people hate it, and others, like myself, adore a bleu cheese with tons of yummy mold. Ah... the more mold the better, like my father always said.

Jonnax

Is there a chance that Final Fantasy X-3 will be another novel or audio drama? Looking at these summaries it seems like the plot might be too far out there to continue as another game.

In terms of the teams working at SE there's the XV team which will be doing Kingdom Hearts 3 and I presume the XIII-3 team would be doing this sequel. But wouldn't it be more profitable to make a sequel to XV as it will be more current in the gaming population's memory?

Midou

Let's stick with cheese. Some cheese is full of mold. Some people hate it, and others, like myself, adore a bleu cheese with tons of yummy mold. Ah... the more mold the better, like my father always said.

Sure, I like blue cheese just fine as well, but they sell it everywhere because it's generally liked by enough people. Mouldy bread is something generally accepted as gross, but some people may like it, which fits a lot more in line with this thread.

Zoe

Is there a chance that Final Fantasy X-3 will be another novel or audio drama? Looking at these summaries it seems like the plot might be too far out there to continue as another game.

In terms of the teams working at SE there's the XV team which will be doing Kingdom Hearts 3 and I presume the XIII-3 team would be doing this sequel. But wouldn't it be more profitable to make a sequel to XV as it will be more current in the gaming population's memory?

It's probably going to be on the Vita using the remake's engine and assets.

Sure, I like blue cheese just fine as well, but they sell it everywhere because it's generally liked by enough people. Mouldy bread is something generally accepted as gross, but some people may like it, which fits a lot more in line with this thread.

I think we're going off from my original point of calling someone an idiot for having a different taste... But sure, it's moldy bread.

Midou

I think we're going off from my original point of calling someone an idiot for having a different taste... But sure, it's moldy bread.

That's fair, I don't think anyone is an idiot for simply having an opinion, but it's also possible to... share an opinion with very few people.

Lain

I haven't been following this thread, but I jumped in to see the updated OP and read something of the last page, and I read there's NTR and crazy stuff? Sounds kinda awesome.

Vita = Phone (iOS) hardware.

Selling it at higher price on portable (Vita) for the first months then quickly port it to iOS.

I agree with that 100% A 3-6 month period on vita followed by IOS. Do you think sony might be throwing any money into this pool to get a final fantasy game on vita?

If you haven't realized it already, it should be plainly evident by now:

There is nothing Square Enix won't destroy for a profit. NOTHING.

There is no dignity. Only dollars (yen).

I agree with that 100% A 3-6 month period on vita followed by IOS. Do you think sony might be throwing any money into this pool to get a final fantasy game on vita?

I meant HD remaster release, IMO they're clearly aiming for a late iOS port. I don't have any proof except the comments of the new CEO and the new direction of the company.

About Sony buying X-3? Maybe.

I kinda doubt it, Sony hasn't buying downright "exclusives" as of late and much less on Vita. And I doubt they will start now.

Given the new CEO comments, SE output on portables in the last year (specially on Vita) and the general direction of the company is crazy to expect X-3 on anything that isn't iOS or MAYBE PS3.

As much, I expect a late Vita port, not the contrary.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Can't wait for IX-2, where Vivi comes back to life through the power of friendship, Zidane visits Italy, Freya is now scantily dressed fury bait, Brahne comes back for revenge, Garnet is secretly a goddess, Steiner is impaled by a moogle as he was distracted by Beatrix in a cat suit, and Quina reveals her true form as Quinalina, a sexy time traveling shop keeper.

gon be mint.

Can't wait for IX-2, where Vivi comes back to life through the power of friendship, Zidane visits Italy, Freya is now scantily dressed fury bait, Brahne comes back for revenge, Garnet is secretly a goddess, Steiner is impaled by a moogle as he was distracted by Beatrix in a cat suit, and Quina reveals her true form as Quinalina, a sexy time traveling shop keeper.

gon be mint.

Funny that you should mention sexiness in your mocking prediction. The sexing-up of the franchise is one of its biggest current problems.

Huh?

Neo Member
Could someone explain to me why FF XIII is so hated? I stopped paying much attention to this franchise a while back, but now that I've stumbled upon this thread and the craziness of the FFX expansions, I'm curious about XIII.

Midou

Could someone explain to me why FF XIII is so hated? I stopped paying much attention to this franchise a while back, but now that I've stumbled upon this thread and the craziness of the FFX expansions, I'm curious about XIII.

Exponentially stupid storylines with no consistency that are made up mostly spur of the moment is a problem in FFXIII.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Funny that you should mention sexiness in your mocking prediction. The sexing-up of the franchise is one of its biggest current problems.

Mocking?
By Square's recent acts, that's a legit prediction guy :p

I do agree with your thoughts about sexing up the series. It's one of my biggest complaints.

Zafir

Exponentially stupid storylines with no consistency that are made up mostly spur of the moment is a problem in FFXIII.
I'd argue, the issue is consistency between titles, and it's not just an issue with XIII or the XIII series even. XIII despite it's glaring pacing and exposition issues, the story managed to stay consistent up until the deus ex machina ending. XIII-2 was where the consistency fell apart, and they started to retcon and add time travelling.

Same thing with X to X-2. X stayed consistent throughout, however X-2 came along and they decided to completely change the tone with the whole Charlie's Angels vibe.

VII to Advent Children, they decided to completely change Cloud. Going from someone who had opened up and got passed being an arrogant jackass to a depressed emo.

They just can't do sequels.

Top Bottom