• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Sails |OT| Michael Bay’s Pirate Show For Starz Saturdays 9PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

jNlfmQeshWsqo.png

i5k1F9diVp22w.gif

irdMtfTOa85j3.png

Trailer | Inside Look #1 | Inside Look #2 | More videos | Watch the first episode for free here, here or here.​

royalan

Great OT

Going to watch the first episode sometime today, been excited for this show for a while.

My post from the other thread:

I've been stupidly excited for this show. I love pirates, and there's so much diversity, rich history and natural drama during the golden age of piracy that I'm surprised it's a setting that's rarely (if ever?) been taken on as a television series.

And Spartacus proved that Starz is capable of handling period pieces.

Let me go get some popcorn.

The pilot was solid, and I'm looking forward to more. Thanks for the thread.

Just a reminder to please spoiler tag discussion of the pilot (plot points and other spoilery details) if you want to talk about it before the premiere on the 25th.

Dennis

Banned
The pilot was solid, and I'm looking forward to more. Thanks for the thread.

Just a reminder to please spoiler tag discussion of the pilot (plot points and other spoilery details) if you want to talk about it before the premiere on the 25th.

wat the pilot is out?

James93

Overall i was disappointing it. Besides the opening scene, which was cool. It felt like a poorly done Game of thrones style show. In a busy spring for entertainment, it doesn't seem this show will be worth my time.

Tagg9

I worry that this will be unwatchable rubbish due to the Michael Bay touch of death. We shall see.

As stated in another thread, I doubt Michael Bay has any real involvement in this. His name is only attached in an effort to reach more viewers.

Oriel

As stated in another thread, I doubt Michael Bay has any real involvement in this. His name is only attached in an effort to reach more viewers.

I would have thought leaving his name off the credits would attract more viewers.

I know what I want
and I want it now
I want you cause I'm Mr. Vain
I know what I want and I want it now
I want you cause I'm Mr. Vain

That's all I could think of when Vane was uttered and then he showed up on screen.

Every show like this need a hook and I think they've got a good one with surrounding fate and piracy. The actor who plays John and looks an awful lot like Karl Urban, holds the key.

Ep 1 Spoilers:
He doesn't know yet, but he's going to have to look over both shoulders now. He's got to worry about Flint who's carrying on a charade of actually having the missing page, when he doesnt, and Max who will now try and take the page and will sell it to Vane for her own personal gain. Where will John's allegiance fall? I'm interested to find out.

If they can follow through and deliver an interesting tale on how things ultimately coalesce, I'll be happy.

Yocke

I would have thought leaving his name off the credits would attract more viewers.

Really? He has only made three movies in his career to make less than 100 million dollars. Many of them has made over 200 million. And that's just domestically.

Remmy2112

Watched the pilot and genuinely liked it. The makeup work on some of the characters was great and the plot was fairly good. Hopefully they can keep it up for the other seven episodes and possibly beyond.

royalan

Finally watched the episode. I don't want to discuss the actual content of the episode until it officially airs, but I will say the premier was very promising. The main characters were introduced well, and from the peek we get at what I'm sure is going to be the main arc of the season, it's obvious the show won't be lacking in action and drama.

I'm also impressed with the quality of the costume design and overall visuals. The show is shot well and the characters don't look half-assed. Lots of close-ups, and sweeping terrain shots are kept to a minimum, but despite that the show looks a lot more expensive than it likely is on a Starz budget.

Watched the pilot. Has me intrigued. Introduction and the mystery element in the plot was good. Let's see if it can hold up the quality for the rest of the eps.

Checked this out tonight. It was decent, but didn't quite grab me. But then again, I sorta felt the same with Da Vinci's Demons and ended up loving it by the end

Nesotenso

I love the main title sequence. Thought the pilot was ok. Hopefully it will pick up. Agree that some of the shots were great.

GHG

Gold Member
I just saw a GIF involving Jessica Parke Kennedy.

Will be watching this one for sure.

obin_gam

I came in expecting some sort of Spartacusesque PotC for 13 year old boys.

Boy was I wrong. This was fantastic! The characters (even the bad guys) are all likable as hell, the sets and costumes are great, the music is fun and the story feels fresh even if it is the cliché pirate story with treasure hunting.

I especially liked that Flint isnt some sort of "hero pirate" just because he is the main character, but that he acts like a real pirate with his own schemes and questionable agendas. Also that Eleanor seems a bit mischievous, instead of being like all blond women usually are portrayed as good ones.

Very happy that the show already has a second season coming. I cant see anything going wrong with this one.

Best characters: Rakham* and Bonny.

Just for the sake of it, I hope they named him Rackham just to connect the universe to Tintin :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom