• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread | List of gaming kickstarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually wondering if it ever leaves Logitechs global fortress of doom.

If they really have a targeted campaign going with kickstarter, it's likely they will simply ship to whoever buys the tier directly, and keep them should the project fail to meet its goal.

Weird that this isn't a bigger story. Seems like it is everyone's worst KS fears realized.

Probably would have been a bigger story if money had changed hands. I think Extra Credits has it right, at some point some large(ish) project is going to simply fail to deliver, and we'll have to see what the fallout from that is.

dude

dude
Or never create physical rewards unless you price the reward tier to reflect the increased cost of producing the reward.

Yes, also that.
Developers should probably try to figure out what's the best possible digital rewards they can think of before resorting to physical stuff.

mclem

Or never create physical rewards unless you price the reward tier to reflect the increased cost of producing the reward.

I think there's an issue in that that's still reflected in the target, and it strictly shouldn't be.

For example: Say there's a project looking to make $1,000. It's got a $175 tier with $25 worth of physical product and a $100 tier with no physical product.

If you get ten bidders at $100, that's $1,000; project completed.
If you get six bidders at $175, that's $1,050 - so you get the money - but then incur $150 of expenditure, only making $900 towards your project.

I was thinking that specifically in the case of the international shipping I've paid for a few projects; it counts towards the overall total, but it's not money that'll ever actually go into the project.

What would be nice - but perhaps not immediately obvious to the end-user - would be if a tier could be split into funding and costs; that $175 tier above would have $150 funding and $25 costs; buying in to that tier would only donate $150 to the project, allowing the costs to be transparently handled and the funding total correctly reflecting money going directly to the project.

If you got six bidders at $175 after my suggestion, that's only $900, so the project doesn't get funded.

Was this game posted yet?
It's especially great for dutch players (since most of the game takes place in dutch folklore), but it looks great in general. Made by Triangle Studios.

Cross of the Dutchman

CotD_logo.jpg

Cross of the Dutchman is an action-adventure game about our cultural heritage, the place where we come from (Friesland) and the language that the locals still speak (Frisian). It tells the legend of ‘Grutte Pier’ (Pier the Great), a folk hero who fought to free the land of our ancestors. Our goal is to create an authentic product that not only reflects the story of Grutte Pier, but also what living in the 16th century must have been like. All wrapped up in a stunning game experience.

CotD_Env_1.gif

greatpier.png

arum_summer.jpg

Yeah i like the art and art direction. Couldn't find any gameplay yet (just the guy running.gif).
I'd love to see what you can do with that huge sword.

So Gnilley didn't make it:
I just want to say thanks to everyone who pledged--the campaign may not have worked out, but I really appreciate the support of everybody who tried to back it. It means a lot that you were willing to throw your cash behind a weird game that maybe didn't have the hype or history of other projects here, but which matters to me.

The future of Gnilley is now a question mark. I won't be able to defer paying work for the immediate future to continue working on it in the idea's current form, especially with all the additional licenses and expenses this campaign was meant to cover. When I'm finished with my current project (keep an eye on http://noplumbers.com in a month or so) I'll take another look at the concept and see what's possible.

Bu t yeah, really: you're all great people. If Gnilley could happen, it couldn't have happened without you!
The game concept was never going to set Kickstarter on fire, but I thought it was fun enough that it deserved the modest amount he asked for.

Anyway, good to see he's taking it in a stride. I hope he'll get a chance to do it anyway.

RSP

Yeah i like the art and art direction. Couldn't find any gameplay yet (just the guy running.gif).
I'd love to see what you can do with that huge sword.

We're getting ready to add the NPC's and quests to the maps pretty soon. Fortunately, we've done quite a lot of prototyping, and the action is a happy medium between games such as Fable, Zelda and Viking: Battle for Asgard. For the last couple of months, our goal has been to get the visuals up to the level where we want them to be.

Thanks for being one of the first to back our project! :D

We're getting ready to add the NPC's and quests to the maps pretty soon. Fortunately, we've done quite a lot of prototyping, and the action is a happy medium between games such as Fable, Zelda and Viking: Battle for Asgard. For the last couple of months, our goal has been to get the visuals up to the level where we want them to be.

Sounds great! Dutchies here should be proud.
Maybe we can make an Official Topic on this game one day.

RSP

That would be great of course :) The game is also interesting for non-dutchies by the way. It will be playable in English, and the story of our hero is very similar to that of William Wallace for example.

dude

dude

Jintor

I think those are placeholder shots because they are still creating their engine? I am uncertain. The thing I read was that they had not started properly creating art assets yet.

PaulLFC

This seems interesting, but unlikely to succeed.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subgames/rob-swigarts-portal-1986-reborn?ref=category

Rob Swigart's Portal. It was an adventure game from 1986, he wants to update it for only $900,000. He has raised $5,000 with 26 days to go.

So probably not going to happen.

Part of me remembers playing a game with that premise, but looking at the screens I sure don't remember that.
I have no idea about the game but those reward tiers look very good, I think if word can get round enough they should be able to reach their goal. For $30 you can get two copies of the game and a load of other digital items like soundtrack etc, good value at least. Plus international shipping for physical items is only $6 instead of $15 as well for some of the tiers which makes a nice change.

C_V

I think those are placeholder shots because they are still creating their engine? I am uncertain. The thing I read was that they had not started properly creating art assets yet.

I'm entirely unconvinced. They say it will have 'charming graphics inspired by earthbound,' but I get the feeling that they're just using that as a front to just use modified assets from the game. I mean look at this:
Screenshot5.png

The fat kid in this shot is a completely unaltered sprite from Mother 3 for crying out loud! It's ridiculous. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt but this whole situation just reeks to me.

Cross of the Dutchman looks neat, but I'm turned off by the $25 pledge level just to get the game. I don't know anything about the game other than the setting, and yet the request is to shell out more than I would had to get a copy of DFA or WL2.

$15 for a copy should be the base level for most, if not all, indie kickstaters. Am I in the minority for thinking this?

RSP

I've seen that remark a couple of times today. We will definitely keep track of all the responses we get to see how we can improve our reward structure. How much would you value participating in the Beta versus just receiving the game itself?

ArjanN

I do like the fact that the logo makes the "of the" extremely small, meaning it's quite possible to instead read the title as "Cross Dutchman". Which conjures up a wonderful mental image.

Heh, yeah.

Although the "cross of the dutchman" nickname actually meant he was the enemy of the dutch, i.e. a cross to bear.

Coverly

Can you go into a little more detail on the game play? What type of weapons will be used? Will there be things like npc companions or is it just the main character running around? What type of enemies will there be in the game?

I've seen that remark a couple of times today. We will definitely keep track of all the responses we get to see how we can improve our reward structure. How much would you value participating in the Beta versus just receiving the game itself?
I think actual gameplay (short but sweet) would help. There is a lot of cool info on the site. It's fantastic to see the whole process of decision making, art style, sketches, models, textures, story, etc. In fact, i even think it's a great example for other devs. There is enough info there to convince a lot of people of the quality of Triangle Studios. But the most important aspect for Gamers/ Gaffers will always be the gameplay.
And there is little to no info on that (that i could find).

I'm pledging without hesitation though.
Good luck!!!!

Coverly

Agree with Bones that it should have ben $15 for a copy of the game. Beta access for me, would have been at the 25-50 range with the digital soundtrack. Having to pledge $100 just to get the soundtrack seems too high. An art book at the 100-150 pledges would have been a better substitute. Also, there is no $75 tier and there is a big gap between the 100-250 tiers.

RSP

Good point guys, I guess we've been holding back for a while but we also wanted to be able to tell something new at least every week. The blog has been running for some time now, and even though we are making a lot of progress in development, there still is much more to tell about the development of the game.

However, the gamplay is no secret. Allow me to explain;

The game will have a 3rd person birds-eye perspective, similar to what you're seeing in the Animated GIF. You as the player will control "Grutte Pier" who will gather an army of soldiers (farmers) to aid him in his quest. The main goal is to liberate the towns and villages from the enemy oppressors who appear in about four different factions (even though the saxxons were the reason Pier went to battle, there were many small armies trying to get as much as they could back then). Each faction has a different level of hostility against Pier and his men, and different levels of hostility against each other. The result is an interesting game world where you have to watch where you're going, or who you're challenging.

Pier will start out as a humble farmer, but soon people will recognize his cause and start joining his group of warriors. We've created this group to be a flexible company, so soldiers will leave and join the group depending on which village travel through. They might stick around in the inns or brothels or they might get up from their chair and follow you to the next battle. As Piers' actions become known to the people, more soldiers will join the group, ultimately forming a formidable army.

Controls are kept clean and simple. Similar to games like Zelda, action is based on timing and reading the opponent's movements. However, there are several forms of attacks, and Pier is able to use the (destructable) environment as a weapon as well, throwing debris and objects at groups of enemies to knock them over. As the legend tells us, Pier was so strong he could lift a horse, Pier would not have a problem picking up something that would crush an opponent with ease. Your men won't get in your way, and are actually eager to start fighting themselves. The result is t hat once you encounter a group of enemies, the scene turns into a battlefield in no-time. Pier is still able to move around the battle field, "helping out" his men with his huge 6-foot sword. By using simple commands, Pier is able to focus his army on certain enemies to weaken or create diversions.

We plan to have pretty big battle scenes, and we've tested battles of over 200 soldiers at once without any problems. Battles in villages will likely be a lot smaller than this, but because the bodies of the victims remain out in the open until they are removed by the villagers, you will be able to "enjoy" your victory for quite some time after the battle is finished.

Agree with Bones that it should have ben $15 for a copy of the game. Beta access for me, would have been at the 25-50 range with the digital soundtrack. Having to pledge $100 just to get the soundtrack seems too high. An art book at the 100-150 pledges would have been a better substitute. Also, there is no $75 tier and there is a big gap between the 100-250 tiers.

Cheers, thanks for your input. We'll definitely consider refining the reward structure :)

Coverly

Cheers, thanks for your input. We'll definitely consider refining the reward structure :)

If it's the shipping costs that's holding back the physical reward tiers because of your location, then what about creating digital goodies? Other kickstarts had bonus items or the ability to name or create small things in the game. You have an NPC reward, but it's all the way up there at $2500. lol, maybe make a hidden ks town with things named and selected by backers ^_~.

Thanks for the gameplay info, that really cleared up a lot of things and it sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing the gameplay video.

RSP

If it's the shipping costs that's holding back the physical reward tiers because of your location, then what about creating digital goodies? Other kickstarts had bonus items or the ability to name or create small things in the game. You have an NPC reward, but it's all the way up there at $2500. lol, maybe make a hidden ks town with things named and selected by backers ^_~.

Thanks for the gameplay info, that really cleared up a lot of things and it sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing the gameplay video.

We did play around with an NPC mode where you could just name a (monk) character and give them a couple of lines of dialogue for the game. They would just "flock" around a monastary, waiting to be slaughtered by our hero and his men. We decided to make it a bit more exlusive and giving the NPC's for the $2500 awards leading roles for the side quests :)

We've been playing around with art packages and such, but thought that people would not hold too much value to such things. One thing we are very proud of is the $50 package. There will be a printed novel about the story of Cross of the Dutchman, which will appear in three languages. An art book might be something we could do in the future, but it's almost a project on its own, that is if you want anything more than just concept art slapped on a piece of paper ...

Good point guys, I guess we've been holding back for a while but we also wanted to be able to tell something new at least every week. The blog has been running for some time now, and even though we are making a lot of progress in development, there still is much more to tell about the development of the game.

However, the gamplay is no secret. Allow me to explain;

The game will have a 3rd person birds-eye perspective, similar to what you're seeing in the Animated GIF. You as the player will control "Grutte Pier" who will gather an army of soldiers (farmers) to aid him in his quest. The main goal is to liberate the towns and villages from the enemy oppressors who appear in about four different factions (even though the saxxons were the reason Pier went to battle, there were many small armies trying to get as much as they could back then). Each faction has a different level of hostility against Pier and his men, and different levels of hostility against each other. The result is an interesting game world where you have to watch where you're going, or who you're challenging.

Pier will start out as a humble farmer, but soon people will recognize his cause and start joining his group of warriors. We've created this group to be a flexible company, so soldiers will leave and join the group depending on which village travel through. They might stick around in the inns or brothels or they might get up from their chair and follow you to the next battle. As Piers' actions become known to the people, more soldiers will join the group, ultimately forming a formidable army.

Controls are kept clean and simple. Similar to games like Zelda, action is based on timing and reading the opponent's movements. However, there are several forms of attacks, and Pier is able to use the (destructable) environment as a weapon as well, throwing debris and objects at groups of enemies to knock them over. As the legend tells us, Pier was so strong he could lift a horse, Pier would not have a problem picking up something that would crush an opponent with ease. Your men won't get in your way, and are actually eager to start fighting themselves. The result is t hat once you encounter a group of enemies, the scene turns into a battlefield in no-time. Pier is still able to move around the battle field, "helping out" his men with his huge 6-foot sword. By using simple commands, Pier is able to focus his army on certain enemies to weaken or create diversions.

We plan to have pretty big battle scenes, and we've tested battles of over 200 soldiers at once without any problems. Battles in villages will likely be a lot smaller than this, but because the bodies of the victims remain out in the open until they are removed by the villagers, you will be able to "enjoy" your victory for quite some time after the battle is finished.

Thanx, that sounds really REALLY cool.
No i hope we can actually throw a horse or a dutch Cow (bonte koe).

I think there's an issue in that that's still reflected in the target, and it strictly shouldn't be.

For example: Say there's a project looking to make $1,000. It's got a $175 tier with $25 worth of physical product and a $100 tier with no physical product.

If you get ten bidders at $100, that's $1,000; project completed.
If you get six bidders at $175, that's $1,050 - so you get the money - but then incur $150 of expenditure, only making $900 towards your project.

I was thinking that specifically in the case of the international shipping I've paid for a few projects; it counts towards the overall total, but it's not money that'll ever actually go into the project.

What would be nice - but perhaps not immediately obvious to the end-user - would be if a tier could be split into funding and costs; that $175 tier above would have $150 funding and $25 costs; buying in to that tier would only donate $150 to the project, allowing the costs to be transparently handled and the funding total correctly reflecting money going directly to the project.

If you got six bidders at $175 after my suggestion, that's only $900, so the project doesn't get funded.

That's a cool idea. It would require some willingness on the part of Kickstarter to restructure.

RSP: Awesome project. I'm backing it.

MRORANGE

OP updated, give a shout if I missed anything.

Just browsing through Kickstarter.

This project
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548215972/devil-gene-r
is finishing in 4 days and probably not making it (35% of 10k funded).

Another failed project
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1705039471/army-antz?ref=card
finishing in four days (10% of 10k funded).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/698159145/atari-2600-star-castle?ref=recently_launched
will probably make it. Already at 60% of the funding. Well he got a nice coverage
http://blog.makezine.com/2012/04/26/star-castle-finally-ported-to-atari-2600/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1479679929/gubble-3d-new-retro-maze-videogame-by-ex-atari-des on the other hand is still not going anywhere. $759 pledged.

And Your World now has a story
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world/posts

added.

This thing looks cool based purely on the provided pics

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/155773634/boot-hill-heroes-wild-west-retro-rpg-with-1-4-play/

I will look into it further later i guess

already listed.

This seems interesting, but unlikely to succeed.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subgames/rob-swigarts-portal-1986-reborn?ref=category

Rob Swigart's Portal. It was an adventure game from 1986, he wants to update it for only $900,000. He has raised $5,000 with 26 days to go.

So probably not going to happen.

Part of me remembers playing a game with that premise, but looking at the screens I sure don't remember that.

added.

Was this game posted yet?
It's especially great for dutch players (since most of the game takes place in dutch folklore), but it looks great in general. Made by Triangle Studios.

Cross of the Dutchman

[im]http://www.crossofthedutchman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/CotD_logo.jpg[/img]

[im]http://www.crossofthedutchman.com/kickstarter/CotD_Env_1.gif[/img]

[im]http://www.crossofthedutchman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/greatpier.png[/img]

[im]http://www.crossofthedutchman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/arum_summer.jpg[/img]

added.

Has this been posted about?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967856643/dark-meridian
[im]http://darkmeridian.com/main_news/lg_shot5.jpg[/img]
Dark Meridian, some RTS RPG TPS hybrid that may be potentially interesting. It looks quite rough in the footage but I guess that's the point of needing money. And they do need quite a bit of that, quite a bit.

I'm not into multiplayer much but it does seem to have co-op PVE type content, so it's not just a twist on the Savage games.

I didn't actually look into it much yet, I just saw it on RPGWatch and thought it may have potential.

If anyone looks it up and sees something interesting my skimming missed feel free to let us know :p

Edit: also, interesting backing option:
Early Backer Special! Be one of the first 1000 people to back this project, and you will get the $64 reward for only $16!

added.

Something I've just stumbled on; a physical game related to computer gaming:

Colossal Cave: The Board Game

BoardgameGeek's page for it

Seems absurd, but the mechanics look promising. I'll see what Dice Tower has to say about it in due course.

added.

Target: $60,000
Deadline: May 30

Kinetic Void is a Science Fiction Space Sandbox for PC and MAC, which focuses on procedural content, and detailed customization.

Youtube channel pre-alpha videos

Procedural emergent unpredictable freedom detailed customization generated physics engine Banjo-Kazooie in space?
I'm in.

That would be great of course :) The game is also interesting for non-dutchies by the way. It will be playable in English, and the story of our hero is very similar to that of William Wallace for example.

Your game looks amazingballs, but I'm in no position to donate. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom