• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

jwbrown77

Guess most people are playing KZ or Resogun (or BF?)

Was hoping for some gamer feedback to see if it meshes with the reviews. To be honest, from the videos I've watched of gameplay, it seemed like a decent platformer?

The game is so cheap on hard.

i don't know how many times i died for wrecklessly trying to attack enemies knowing they either dodge and then attack or theres a few that shoot at me lol.

Jedi2016

I about dropped the controller the first time I picked up some relics in the first level, and the clinky-clank relic sound came from the controller. I knew the feature was there, of course, but it's nice to see them implementing it right off the bat like that.

I only played through the first level, then switched over to a quick match in Resogun. So far, I'm liking it. The online videos don't really do it justice, the game is very good looking. Sharp and clean, and the lighting is phenomenal. I know not everybody likes the art style, but oh well. I think it looks great.

Combat's going to take some getting used to. Compared to other third-person games, the enemies hit hard. You can take only two, maybe three hits and that's it (luckily, most enemies also go down in about two hits). Play defensively and use your openings, or you will die. A lot.

Platforming is very solid, though, nothing to complain about there. Controls are great, I've had no problems getting around.

drproton

I played through half the game with this button prompt on my screen, just for fun.

BZIa9XTIQAAqVqp.jpg:large

It's a pretty innocent glitch. It happens if you trigger one of Knacks sunstone abilities while being "captured" by an enemy attack.

So those who picked it up, are you all enjoying it? The fact that the thread seems pretty dead suggests hardly anyone bothered to pick it up though.

Such a shame.

drproton

So those who picked it up, are you all enjoying it? The fact that the thread seems pretty dead suggests hardly anyone bothered to pick it up though.

Such a shame.

I like it. It's about what I expected, despite the reviews.

The game is challenging on hard and the outdoor environments are beautiful. But the combat is kind of shallow and sometimes frustratingly clunky.

If the combat was deeper, it could be a great game, but I guess you could say that about any brawler.

Such a shame.

I only played the first level before I went to bed last night, but I like it more than Killzone to be honest. It brings back some good ps1/2 memories.

I like it. It's about what I expected, despite the reviews.

The game is challenging on hard and the outdoor environments are beautiful. But the combat is kind of shallow and sometimes frustratingly clunky.

If the combat was deeper, it could be a great game, but I guess you could say that about any brawler.

Thanks for the quick impressions. It sounds about what I expected, although I am ever so slightly disappointed to hear the combat is combat can be frustratingly clunky. Figured that would be the most worked upon aspect of the game....

Ah well, maybe something to work on in the sequel - if there is ever one.

I only played the first level before I went to bed last night, but I like it more than Killzone to be honest. It brings back some good ps1/2 memories.

Nice to hear that it brings back some PS1/2 memories, that's exactly what I like to hear. Not surprised that you like it more than KZ, but then I've never really been a fan of KZ. Mercs was good though, so credit where it's due....

Such a shame.

its one of the only exclusive launch games available, it will sell well as most people will just grab a game off the shelf for their new system

give it until the weekend

its one of the only exclusive launch games available, it will sell well as most people will just grab a game off the shelf for their new system

give it until the weekend

You may be right. I'm still hopeful it will reach a wider audience, if not now, when it hits Plus or when it hits $20.

I absolutely disagree with the negative reviews. Definitely trust your pre-review feelings on this one.

Yep, I'm not trusting any reviews when it comes to next gen launch titles. I'll take them into consideration to perhaps adjust my expectations slightly, but I certainly won't be passing on any games I'm really interested in because of less than stellar reviews.

Such a shame.

I think it's a bit early for that. Not that I'm expecting a ton of posts.

Or we're actually playing. Or in my case waiting for the delivery truck. Heck most people probably aren't even done with work yet.

I think it's a bit early for that. Not that I'm expecting a ton of posts.

Or we're actually playing. Or in my case waiting for the delivery truck. Heck most people probably aren't even done with work yet.

True enough, but I did expect at least some activity from those who went to midnight events, etc. But you're absolutely right, we may see a lot more activity over the weekend/into next week.

Such a shame.
I've played through the first three chapters and I think it's better then the reviews are saying. It's not going to blow anyone away, but it's more entertaining then a 6 in my eyes. I agree with people who say it brings back the PS1/2 memories.

I've played through the first three chapters and I think it's better then the reviews are saying. It's not going to blow anyone away, but it's more entertaining then a a 6 in my eyes. I agree with people who say it brings back the PS1/2 memories.

I'm really loving hearing this. The 29th feels so far away...

TriGen

I've made it to 3-2 and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's really pretty. You just don't get to see the lush colors and crisp image on YT vids and streams. I've enjoyed the gameplay so far too. It's all about being smart, do your damage, then get out. There aren't a lot of games that require you to be so quick with your attacks. I like it.

mothball

I've played through the first three chapters and I think it's better then the reviews are saying. It's not going to blow anyone away, but it's more entertaining then a a 6 in my eyes. I agree with people who say it brings back the PS1/2 memories.

This is what I've been thinking the whole time. People say they wanted something that harkened back to Crash and then bash Knack for being a very simple and linear game. Well, Crash was a very simple and linear game. Knack looks like a PS1 game with PS4 visuals, and while that simplicity seems to be turning a lot of people off from it, it's what makes me want to play it even more.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've only played through the first chapter but I really enjoy the game so far. As others have said, it really feels like a PS1/PS2 era game with much better graphics.

I've made it to 3-2 and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's really pretty. You just don't get to see the lush colors and crisp image on YT vids and streams. I've enjoyed the gameplay so far too. It's all about being smart, do your damage, then get out. There aren't a lot of games that require you to be so quick with your attacks. I like it.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounding really good.

One thing that's absolutely true is that it's hard to appreciate how good next gen games look via YT videos. DR3, for example, looks fantastic in person, but looks so dreary and dark in videos. Anyway, enough OT....more impressions!

About to start ch3 and took a break. It's ok but not 4-5 bad only because of how gorgeous and fluid the game is. It's hard as fuck too and just found out there's a very hard trophy. *tear*

Nowhere near the level of a Ratchet or old school Crash. Not that much depth (only on ch3 though) but solid enough to play. But the hate is a little too ridiculous. COD and BF4 getting better scores despite the horror stories they have is hilarious.

Got it for free so not bitching, if i didn't probably would have just rented it. What is exciting is how good Knack and KZ look on day 1. 2nd/3rd wave games are going to be insane.

Yup. There aren't a lot of enemies like all of the reviews have said, but when you're playing on hard it doesn't really matter because of how quickly you have to dodge and move around to beat the few that are there.

Mifune

Mehmber
I kinda dug the opening cutscene and level I watched on someone's stream. Maybe I'll pick this up yet at some point.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I think I'm going to make this the other PS4 game I get alongside my Killzone bundle. The GB quicklook - despite their apathy - sold me on it.

What's the sound design in the game like? Does it make good use of a proper 5.1 set-up?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The quality and challenge of this game along with the PS1 nostalgia are all far more worthy than a 6. This game is at minimum a 7.

krae_man

I like this keep what you have or take what one of your friends found mechanic for the collectables. Got a 5 star rarity diamond thing in my first chest.

Foxix Von

The quality and challenge of this game along with the PS1 nostalgia are all far more worthy than a 6. This game is at minimum a 7.

Agreed. This game is brutal on hard. Had to restart on normal, and it's pretty good. That and I can't remember the last time I've waxed nostalgia this hard playing a game.

Brings back a lot of fond memories.

DC1

Such a shame.

It's dead because of the shear amount of games available to play.
Personally, I took advantage of the B2G1F deal and then proceeded to download everything available to me through PS+ (Not to mention mucking around in that glorious Playstation UI).

Regarding Knack
All things considered, I played 3 hours of Knack today and it's very very good. The music is unexpectedly flying, the visual design is as pretty as a Disney movie (for real this time) and the game play is uncompromisingly old school (which probably turned off several reviewers who were in a rush to run through games in preparation for the 13th).

Knack has been dealt a great disservice.
Knack is great.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Just posting to say I really like Knack. It's a moderately challenging beat 'em up! Guess that's not what people wanted or expected, but I'm enjoying myself.

I do wish it was easier to get parts for the alternate Knacks, though.

Binx

I only got this game because of the B2g1, but it is freaking great. I still hate the character design on the humans, but it is super fun. I'm not very far in. I hope there is more platforming ahead.

I keep laughing at how I'm dealing with combat. I've been playing Demon Souls lately, and I keep trying to draw enemies out one at a time and hit them from behind.

Darksol

I'm glad I'm not alone in my Knack love. At work, but can still hear the sound of relics being absorbed by Knack. Can't wait to get home.

NIGHT-

Playing this at a friends house now, coming from someone that had no interest in knack after the reviews, this game is actually pretty damn good! I hope everyone puts the reviews aside and try's it for themselves. Co op is great fun!

Playing this at a friends house now, coming from someone that had no interest in knack after the reviews, this game is actually pretty damn good! I hope everyone puts the reviews aside and try's it for themselves. Co op is great fun!

game reviews are a fucking blight. It would be fine if people didn't just look at an IGN score and decide on a game right then and there, but they do.

Ricky_R

Great to see good impressions for Knack. Decided to keep it.

How the story btw? It seems like cool light-hearted narrative.

Watching the Giantbomb Quick Look, I kinda agree with them, that it looks like mechanically it looks really good; it feels good. But they just don't give you much in the way of encounter design to use the mechanics - I'd just love to see it open up a little more.

It looks really pretty to me.

dcassell

Banned
Got the knack bundle from amazon and played the first two chapters. Took about an hour. So far, really solid stuff. I can see how it would get old after awhile, but it's a gorgeous game, and I am actually enjoying how the beat-em-up combat feels, as well as the weight of the main character. Pretty satisfying, overall. I disagree with the reviews, although I understand where they're coming from. We'll see how it lasts as I play more.

McSpidey

I wish GifBrewery could produce higher framerate GIFs better, but for now I'll make do with this (Recorded from a twitch stream)
iJhHH0mHAULhw.gif

OSHAN

Very much enjoying it. If you like Crash and Spyro, you should enjoy this; if you think those games are boring, repetitive crap, I would stay away from Knack. It looks crisp; it is colorful; gameplay is tight; and it is difficult. Like, almost old school difficult. My wife was playing with me as Robo Knack, and the drop in/drop out co-op works great.

Skyzard

Banned
After watching the streams, no way I'd miss out on Knack, just too broke to get it at the moment. Barely affording the PS4, but very much looking forward to giving this a go on the first hard difficulty. Couldn't stop watching yesterday and I want to watch more now but worried I'd ruin it for myself too much.

Exis

I am on chapter 4 and am finding this really quite charming. It is prettier and more entertaining that I expected.

Slime

Banned
It's fun and charming. It's also somewhat shallow and repetitive, but I still have fun just figuring out how to approach encounters. I also adore the music, especially in areas like the forest and the green cliff-like area just after the caves. It can be really nice and whimsical at times, and definitely gives me nostalgic vibes, even if I can't really pinpoint why.

Main complaint is obviously the lack of platforming. They give you a bit of it in that opening lab level, and I was in love instantly. And then it just stops and you're going down corridors. I wonder if they were planning on making it like that but had to go with something simpler to get it out for launch.

Also don't like Knack's characterization. He's so cute when he's just a little guy! But he still has the voice of a generic adult tough guy male. Jarring and kind of creepy.

I like it, though! Don't regret choosing this at all. I can see where the critics were coming from, but I'd hesitate to give it such a low score. It's not bad by any means, just a touch too simple for some.

Top Bottom