• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

NateDrake

Any tips for time attack or collesium mode? I tried the first time attack and getting good was difficult, even with diamond knack and getting fast kills. Do you need to aim for eg special attack kills or something else other than just time?

And are any of the other knacks good for those modes,not should I stick with diamond knack?

Coliseum Mode is pretty easy. If you beat everything in a timely manner and use a Special Move often, you will have no problem reaching 5-stars. I got 5-stars on everything with Normal Knack while having the Shard attachment on.

Time Attack is more of a pain since the difficulty gets pretty high.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Platinum trophy get - finally. timeattack wasn't too bad in the end, I guess having done five playthoughs in total (three on normal to get diamond knack, then hard and v.hard), I was used to most of what was thrown at me.

It's my first platinum on my PS4 and on my PSN account

AlucardGV

Banned
maybe tomorrow i'll get a ps4....should i get knack too? i really have nothing else to play on it but my sister wants to play fifa...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
maybe tomorrow i'll get a ps4....should i get knack too? i really have nothing else to play on it but my sister wants to play fifa...
No. Try the PlayStation Plus or free to play games to pass the time until something you like arrives.

BibiMaghoo

I only got Knack yesterday and have played about 5 hours on hard. The game is solid - performance hiccups aside. Hard is actually hard. I've died more times than on BF4 on hard, for example. Considerably more.

Not sure why the game scored so low apart from the janky framerate around video sequences. It's worth a play for sure.

witness

Bought it last night and played for a couple of hours, really fun. Its a nice change of pace from the rest of my PS4 games. Its just a game that isn't made that often these days. Looks great, love the art style and is quite challenging. I unlocked quite a few parts through the Android game before hand, and I really enjoy how you can select which part you want from your friends list.

If anyone else on GAF is playing right now and wants to add me, do so. Witness_0783

Aceun

Any tips for time attack or collesium mode? I tried the first time attack and getting good was difficult, even with diamond knack and getting fast kills. Do you need to aim for eg special attack kills or something else other than just time?

And are any of the other knacks good for those modes,not should I stick with diamond knack?

I found Sunstone knack to be the most valuable since you don't have to spend time breaking sunstones which are crucial for high scores.

You need to use special attacks to get high scores.

Time Dilator is also really smart because it helps shaves off seconds and can protect you from incoming attacks.

Cubed

I'm on Chapter 7, co-oping the whole game with my girlfriend. I love this game. Not a classic or anything, but pretty fun, with nice graphics.

Finished it. Bored to tears but want to round out a couple trophies before I'm done for good. When do my items from knacks quest synch with my actual game? I unlocked gadget items in the iOS game but I'm not seeing them show up on my PS4.

Liamc723

I finally finished Knack, and the game won't be going anywhere near my PS4 ever again, what a pile of crap.

The game is utterly boring and I had to force myself to finish it, this along with the fact that you can die in 1 to 2 hits most of the time made the game extremely frustrating. I've never been so happy to say I will never play this game ever again.

I stared on hard and I'm slowing working my way through it. It's not a bad game but it isn't good either. My main gripe is with the combat. It just doesn't work. I've had so many unfair deaths due to the lousy combat.

Cheska

Well I'm certainly happy to see I'm not the only one bored playing this game. I just don't find myself ever saying "I'm so excited to play Knack".

I just reached Chapter 8, I heard there were 13 chapters? About how many hours do I have left? Honestly, my biggest complaint is that some levels drag on for so long, and that's probably what's killing my interest.

Timu

Well I'm certainly happy to see I'm not the only one bored playing this game. I just don't find myself ever saying "I'm so excited to play Knack".

I just reached Chapter 8, I heard there were 13 chapters? About how many hours do I have left? Honestly, my biggest complaint is that some levels drag on for so long, and that's probably what's killing my interest.
Yeah there's 13 chapters so you still got several hours left to go.

Jacobbles

Finally finished my Hard playthrough, now... to unlock Diamond Knack (...already got 3 Diamonds) and begin Very Hard!

Not sure if this is the place for it, but please add me for item swapping! My PSN ID is Jacobbles

Can you get trophies in chapter select mode? For instance I want to do 10-2 to get the barrage trophy but it doesn't seem to work even though I'm killing 8 enemies at once.

Edit: Looks like I can for others but barrage is being stubborn

This is perhaps the worst game I've ever played. Most notable frustration is the checkpoint saving. After an hour of growing increasingly impatient with dying, I turn off the machine only to be greeted by the harsh reality that it starts me 20 minutes prior to where I left it off.

All this game amounts to is how fast you can dodge an attack. Rinse, and repeat. Move down a platform and, once more, how fast can you dodge? Oops, start again.

I'm on Chapter 6 by the way. I just want the story to be done already at this point.

Cubed

I literally laugh at people that don't enjoy this game. It's a sad thing, really. My girlfriend and I are having a blast. We've played through it 2 times and just started a third (going for diamond Knack).

I might actually platinum this thing. I hear once you have Diamond Knack it's all a cake walk, including Very Hard campaign and Coliseum.

IconGrist

On my third run as well. I am getting sick of finding vampire Knack relics though. I have 30 already. Only need a couple Dark Knack relics though and I have 3 Diamonds so far.

Kurod

Banned
I might actually platinum this thing. I hear once you have Diamond Knack it's all a cake walk, including Very Hard campaign and Coliseum.

Yeah Diamond Knack is pretty broken. Double attack, double defense, double damage from sunstone supers, and double the meter you get from sunstones.

Footos22

First playthrough done on hard. Finally a game that is actually hard on hard difficulty.
Died more times then i did in 3 playthroughs of dark souls.

Nothing amazing but those low scores really are baffling. Its a soild 7 easily. Ran smooth for the most part but when the frames drop they are way noticeable, especially the last couple of levels.

So do you recommend playing through again to try and get the relics before i use diamond Knack for very hard? i unlocked all the gadgets on my first playthough with help from the knack app.

Putty

Picked a sealed copy up for 20 quid, and I really like it. Yes it's not groundbreaking, no its not terrible, graphically it's pretty decent, and has really impressed on a few occasions, though wish they'd of locked the framerate at 30. Some nice lighting from time to time also. Easy 7/10 for me.

IconGrist

Ilúvatar;97347989 said:
How did everyone go about getting the Diamond Relics for Diamond Knack? I'm on playthrough #2 now and have only found one :(

There's a farming technique but there is a probable risk of save file corruption. Personally, I'm on my 5th playthrough and still need 2 more diamonds.

fantomena

FInished it today. It was generic, average and not innovative at all, but for some reason it was actually fun.

Still, I won't play it again.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Gonna repost this from the "review-proof game" thread, since that was mostly dead.

To be honest, after starting my playthrough of Knack on Hard, I'm surprised at how low it scored. It's not a platformer, but it's not exactly a straight brawler either.

The main focus of combat is to reach your opponent without getting hit, or getting hit as little as possible, and while the game provides you with very few moves, they all have specific functions and specialties, as well as weaknesses. You've got to figure out which situations call for which kind of moves, then employ them as the battle calls.

For instance, certain moves like the aerial roll attack have a dangerous amount of recovery time attached to them. It should only be used when you're fighting an isolated enemy, and only when you are close enough that you're sure it will strike. Also, you must note that the attack does less damage than Knack's basic ground combo, or one of his dash strikes. However, being in the air is arguably one of the safest locations Knack can be, as he can avoid strikes from most enemies.

All of this comes together into something like a reflex puzzle in each scenario. You may argue that there is no progressing moveset, and while that is mostly true, I think the real progression simply comes from the new enemy types you have to learn how to handle with the tools you have.

I think someone could argue well that Knack isn't a badly designed, game, but people are going about it the wrong way, or they're making the wrong arguments. The children angle by itself is weak. There's challenge to be had in Knack, and while it's simple at it's core, it is far from brain-dead.

IconGrist

Finally unlocked Diamond Knack and started the Very Hard mode. They were not kidding. Every encounter is tough.

EDIT: As of now I just got the Platinum trophy. I liked Knack a lot but I am happy to be done with it.

Ilúvatar

Got two Diamond Relics in a row to bring me to 4/10... was a real bummer to me to find out that Diamonds can't be obtained from friends. So dumb.

I rented the game from Gamefly. I was surprised how good it was. Personally I think that the only thing going against it is the fact that all main characters are underdeveloped. Everything else is great!

Not a best game ever, but a very strong 8. Now I'm a bit surprised about skepticism surrounding it around launch...

nampad

At first, I thought Knack was pretty solid but now I am getting bored by it and I am only half through the game. All the levels and segments feel way too long and stretched. It doesn't help that the game is difficult and the checkpoint placement is unforgiving so you have to replay a lot of parts. I am only playing on normal and the game keeps kicking my ass, they should have tweaked it more for a kids game and should have added more checkpoints.

In the end, you always do the same because the combat is limited and the enemies really have annoying patterns (e.g. tank with the bubble), which gets worse when they are mixed with other enemy types.
Even though I played through many different areas they all seem kind of samey somehow, maybe it is the artstyle, which I am not fond of. The character art isn't my thing, except Knack himself, which I like a lot.
The story is ok so far and I enjoy the cutscenes, which could have been used more in comparison to the gameplay parts. The gameplay/cutscene blending is actually better than in most AAA games.

I am at the second bossfight right now and the person who designed the camera should burn in hell. The encounter is already annoying enough with the boss constantly using his teleport move but with the camera changing the view each time it is getting nervewrecking.

I just reached
Viktors family castle
or whatever it's called. Must have played 5-6 hours. OMFG this game is shit. Level design is so bad and rushed I can't believe it. Hidden chests are so badly placed I just gave up on them unless it's obvious where they are. Sometimes I hit and wall and find one without meaning to.

This is a game for alzheimers patients who can blissfully believe the game is just starting and probably will get better. Sadly it doesn't. Don't get me started on the cheap difficulty level.

I truly cannot believe that Mark Cerney has played through the entire game. He should be ashamed of himself. Please be excited? No way. Poor japanese who get the game for free. It's that bad.

Angel_DvA

I bought Knack with the PSN sales and just end it, what a wonderful little game, i don't understand the hate it have at launch, sure the game is a little bit too long and the 60 fps should have been a better choice but overall the game is great, art direction, music, difficulty, everything is enjoyable to play, a good surprise for me, especially at 10$.

I hope we get to see a sequel with more ambition !! come on Japan Studio.

Top Bottom