• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 hits Steam January 28th, $14.99, Dual Audio, 900p

I don't remember, does neptunia support all resolution lower than 1600x900?
I'm on a 1360x768 monitor and sometimes games don't support it. Since I'm interested in buying it, better to be informed first!

Durante

I'm on a 1360x768 monitor and sometimes games don't support it. Since I'm interested in buying it, better to be informed first!
If you use my .dll it supports any resolution from 1x1 to the maximum of our GPU, in increments of 1 :p

Chariot

Have some 400x, based Durante

rtsUrVP.jpg

It seems they're not clearing the buffer after playing the intro movie and you get whatever's leftover in the letterboxed spaces. I can think of an annoying way to get it the way you want and it's to use a custom resolution with GPU scaling. Here's a handy visual guide (hopefully you use nvidia otherwise you're on your own):

Then before playing change your desktop resolution to 1920x1080. You will have black bars.

VICTORY!!

It doesn't show the black bars in the screengrab, but I'm delighted to report that sky bars are now gone. Brilliant fix, thank you so much for taking the time to do a mini-walkthrough - and yes, I am using nvidia so it couldn't have been easier to follow :)

Anyone having issues with the game not saving options? I can change in-game options, exit, and it immediately reverts things like volume levels upon relaunching?

Can I just say that this game is soooooo much better than I expected.

I grew up adoring JRPGs... they made up almost every one of my top five games of all time until well into my late twenties, but like many fans I grew out of love with the genre post PSX-era. I felt like far too many of the PS2/PS3 jrpgs were these soul-less things, ironically churned out by companies like IF. If I saw another flavor of game with "Alchemy" in the title, I thought i'd run screaming from the industry.

Now I know this game doesn't scream "great" like the classics of old, but there is a genuine, innocent fun that it is exuding constantly. I am having way better of a time with this than I should.

So don't let the anti-Waifu, m'ladys, poo-poo your fun. The game, at the price, and with Durante's wonderful fix definitely deserves to be played.

Quick question for veteran players though. Does each dungeon only have the one "hidden treasure" which never respawns? Answering would spare me from obsessively "scanning" every three seconds. :p

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Quick question for veteran players though. Does each dungeon only have the one "hidden treasure" which never respawns? Answering would spare me from obsessively "scanning" every three seconds. :p
There's only one per, but pretty sure they respawn after leaving the dungeon.

Oh, no doubt the game was slap-dash localized. Luckily most of the jokes that needed to work do.

As an aside, correct me if I am wrong, but the game that broke me of my fondness of JRPGs, Cross Edge, was an IF/Compile Heart game, right?

I am pretty sure I have never played a more soul-crushing mess of a game than that one... my god.

HGH

Banned
Yup same developers.

Yes, get angry, get furious, at... BAD MIDDLESCHOOL GRAMMAR
I love it because sometimes you'll notice the VAs are feeling off about the line but still say it anyway.
Also everyone's inability to say Conversation the same way + Tara Platt randomly say things the French way.

Uh, also, I, uh, made a guide about the Basics.

Hugstable

Banned
Nooo I sold off that sword I got for Neptune which had awesome range :(. Bought a new sword in the store and didn't realize it was gonna hurt the range of my attack like that!

Milamber

Nooo I sold off that sword I got for Neptune which had awesome range :(. Bought a new sword in the store and didn't realize it was gonna hurt the range of my attack like that!

A majority of enemies in battle group around each other at the start and it is very possible to walk up to them in an angle and get 2 of them within your single square attack box, 3 of them if they are in an L formation.

HGH

Banned

I think weapons have a little indicator at the bottom that tells you their attack range. I think it's Style or something? Each one has a different name.

Giever

So, I have a question. If I'm not moved at all by the skimpy anime girls, but want an actually somewhat decent JRPG, will this suffice? I'm cautiously interested, and would like to take advantage of the half-off price, if possible. All of the images I'm seeing on the Steam Community tab are kind of making me wary, though.

Hey man, they're just accurately portraying how people talk!

HGH

Banned
Steam Community is really unreliable when it comes to anything anime.
Still though. This isn't the pinnacle of RPGs nor is it bottom rung. It's just... kinda there.
Maybe watch some gameplay videos, and basically tell yourself "I will repeatedly be doing this in every dungeon multiple times", then see how you feel about it.

Durante

I think the localization in this is actually not that bad (not talking about the dubbing here, which I'm obviously not using so I can't comment on it).

It does a rather good job in most instances translating puns which I'd have had no idea how to tackle, like the whole "Ai-chan" part with IF. And it also adds some references which weren't at all in the original version and which I found amusing, like this:
neptuniarebirth1_2015fiush.jpg

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the dialogue in this, I feel like it's even sillier and more 4th-wall-breaking than in the original version.

In conclusion:
neptuniarebirth1_2015wmod4.jpg

Bonus screenshots:

Tiu Neo

Steam Community is really unreliable when it comes to anything anime.
Still though. This isn't the pinnacle of RPGs nor is it bottom rung. It's just... kinda there.
Maybe watch some gameplay videos, and basically tell yourself "I will repeatedly be doing this in every dungeon multiple times", then see how you feel about it.

Yeah. I see it as a fun, silly RPG. I don't care much for the fanservice, but the wall breaking dialog and references to other games are pretty funny.

The battle system is a lot better than the original, too.

Adeptrain

I'm seriously bummed out ㅠㅠ!! Went to look for this on the steam store and it's not available in my region!! Grrr!! Normally it's not a problem to get most games here in South Korea, but Neptune's not up for some reason! With the new gifting cross-region rules and such, what are my options here?

HGH

Banned
I'm seriously bummed out ㅠㅠ!! Went to look for this on the steam store and it's not available in my region!! Grrr!! Normally it's not a problem to get most games here in South Korea, but Neptune's not up for some reason! With the new gifting cross-region rules and such, what are my options here?

I know I've had stuff like Dragon Age or Far Cry not show up on Steam, so I'd try to access the US or UK version of the website and I could buy them there. But I did that years ago, I dunno if it's still possible.

How long is this game? I'm enjoying it.

Shout outs to Durante for the excellent work, as always.

I think it took me about 35-40 hours. I did some of the optional stuff, but not a lot of it, so you could probably easily sink another 10-20 hours into the game if you wanted to.

I'm at 27+ hours and missing just four achievements.

But that's with skipping most/all cut-scenes and battle animations.

Also I haven't gotten the "get 100 million credits" achievement.

So that'll definitely add another 200 hours. FML

HGH

Banned
You don't really need 100 million, just around 65. Then use all your money to buy costumes and sell them back at half price. The achievement tracks total money earned, not currently owned.

Concept of this game always interested me, but when I rented the fist game on PS3, I couldn't handle the not-great combat.

Hearing that this improves it though intrigues me to give it a shot again...but do I need to add more to my backlog? But the sale price...haha videogames are gonna run me into the ground. Almost afraid of upgrading my pc because that means an even bigger backlog of games I can potentially run. ;3;

You don't really need 100 million, just around 65. Then use all your money to buy costumes and sell them back at half price. The achievement tracks total money earned, not currently owned.

Yeah I read about that.

Still..That's a shit-ton of Clionnes

Durante

I'm at 27+ hours and missing just four achievements.

But that's with skipping most/all cut-scenes and battle animations.

Also I haven't gotten the "get 100 million credits" achievement.

So that'll definitely add another 200 hours. FML
Or 1 minute with Cheatengine :p
(seriously, for silly stuff like that, post-game, I wouldn't mind using it)

What I don't get is the point of playing this game if you skip all the cutscenes. The gameplay is much improved over the original release, but is it really enough to carry the game on its own?

Durante

I'm mostly using the DLC characters since I used the base ones in the original game.

(I'm also pretending Peashy is a PC character and not a PC engine character)

dont know, not noticing any weird movements with a xb1 controller.
Unless they patched it today it's pretty bad with any controller. Input is being clamped to digital directions unless you push the stick almost all the way (try moving diagonally and you'll quickly understand). It makes positioning in battle more difficult than it should be. Not sure why it's like that since apparently it was analog on Vita.

What I don't get is the point of playing this game if you skip all the cutscenes. The gameplay is much improved over the original release, but is it really enough to carry the game on its own?

Already played through the game on Vita.

Can't figure out cheatengine for anything.

Not a big deal anyway. I'm at 10 mil now. Once I pass level 550 (330ish now) I can move up to the next DLC battle and get nearly a mil per fight.

Durante

Concept of this game always interested me, but when I rented the fist game on PS3, I couldn't handle the not-great combat.
The combat is really the biggest improvement in the remake. There are also more other system changes than I expected, and all of them seem to be good ones.

Hearing that this improves it though intrigues me to give it a shot again...but do I need to add more to my backlog? But the sale price...haha videogames are gonna run me into the ground. Almost afraid of upgrading my pc because that means an even bigger backlog of games I can potentially run. ;3;
I forgot to screenshot the part where Vert talks about adding to her backlog, it would fit perfectly here :(

damn I have the two tiny little sky-bars on 1360x768, they're really distracting, hope they fix it. I can't use the solution proposed earlier in this thread because I'm on this tv-monitor plugged via HDMI and I can use the 1920x1080 resolution but it looks all blurry (because the native resolution is 1360x768). Apparently in battles sometimes it comes to 50 fps, don't know why.

Also, is there a better battle tutorial later in the game? The first one doesn't explain shit, I just press X Y or A, but I don't know for example if the number of attacks I can perform is fixed or else. Apparently the less you do in your turn and your next turn will come faster (that's what I've read in a community guide)

damn I have the two tiny little sky-bars on 1360x768, they're really distracting, hope they fix it. I can't use the solution proposed earlier in this thread because I'm on this tv-monitor plugged via HDMI and I can use the 1920x1080 resolution but it looks all blurry (because the native resolution is 1360x768). Apparently in battles sometimes it comes to 50 fps, don't know why.

Also, is there a better battle tutorial later in the game? The first one doesn't explain shit, I just press X Y or A, but I don't know for example if the number of attacks I can perform is fixed or else. Apparently the less you do in your turn and your next turn will come faster (that's what I've read in a community guide)

For scaling any 16:9 resolution will do it doesn't need to be 1920x1080 I just used that for him since he had a 1680x1050 monitor and could test that myself. You could try 1366x768 (those extra 6 pixels lol) or 1600x900..

Dinjoralo

I just realized, I think this is the first game Durante's made a fix for, where the developers are doing things like engaging in the steam forums. I'm curious about how they'll react.

Top Bottom