• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3D Display - Pics and Info

Miyahon

Does anyone have problems watching videos on the PS3 where it appears washed out and around the screen is brighter then the rest? I tried to calibrate the monitor but the settings are basic and playing any games all the colors appear to be vivid and bright.
As a monitor connected to my Mac has the same problem with videos too. Especially ones where they are letterboxed and the black bars are washed out and not really black with the bright spots just around the the sides and top/bottom of the display?

Just saw a commercial on TV, don't know if it's new but at Best Buy you can now get a PS3 for $100 if you buy this display.

Link

This package features a PlayStation 3 160GB console and a Sony PlayStation 3D Display Bundle, which includes PlayStation 3D display, 3D glasses, Motorstorm Apocalypse game and an HDMI cable.
Features
Sony PlayStation 3 (160GB) features 160GB internal hard drive for storing games, movies, music, photos and more; Blu-ray Disc player with high-definition DVD upscaling; PlayStation Network membership; built-in Wi-Fi; and HDMI output for 1080p resolution
Sony PlayStation 3D Display Bundle features 24'' ultraslim 3D PlayStation-inspired high-definition screen for stunning clarity and detail, a pair of 3D glasses for enhanced visuals, Motorstorm Apocalypse game and an HDMI cable
This package price will no longer be valid if you return one of the items. See the details.
Best Buy's Bundle Return Policy applies to this package purchase. Items in package may ship separately.
$600 total for both

I posted this in the Halo Anniversary OT but figured there was probably a better chance of getting some feedback here...

Has anyone played this with one of the new Playstation 3D TVs...

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3D...2600557&sr=8-1

...I am sorta in the market for a new monitor/tv for my desktop setup and this seems like the perfect size and feature set(2 HDMI inputs for PS3 and PC and 1 Component input for XBox 360) available at a decent price point with all things included(3D, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse). The SimulView tech seems quite interesting as well.

My questions are concerning the 3D mode as I have heard that it was pretty good in Halo: Anniversary but really was hoping to get some feedback on any particular experiences with this Playstation 3D branded TV.

To take this further is the SimulView tech for a select few PS3 games only and is the 3D option available through the component input?

edgefusion

Got it and set it up. The TV is pretty good, the black levels are real good. The TV is so damn glossy it doubles as a mirror. The 3D is a nice touch and the glasses aren't too uncomfortable. I have yet to test the Simulview, because I only own 1 pair of glasses.

I also got an email from Amazon yesterday telling me since I pre-ordered the TV during the beginning phase, I also get a free copy of Resistance 3. The I paid 53.98 for the TV - 52.08 I paid for Resistance, mean I paid 2 bucks for both! Score!

Thanks for posting about that. I will never buy it because of this. I absolutely cannot stand suddenly seeing my goofy face pop up on screen when I'm immersed in a game and travel to a dark environment or hit a load screen or whatever. Glossy screens can go fuck themselves.

Watched a little bit of Lion King 3D. Was not mind-blowing. Some scenes had this weird double image going on with some edges. Especially noticeable at the very beginning scenes showing the cliff edge against the blue sky background and the various running animal legs. I guess this is just part of current 3D tech?

yep. it's called crosstalk. a few different 3D technologies suffer from it. in the case of active shutter glasses displays, it's because the pixels can't quite switch all the way between the two images as fast as they need too. certain transitions take longer than others, generally white to black or vice versa is where you'll see it most obviously.

the 3DS suffers from it for different reasons, and some passive technologies suffer from it also.

it's not an issue for every game or film though. it's noticeably worse on KZ3 than it is on Wipeout or God of War PSP collection for example.

madmook

To take this further is the SimulView tech for a select few PS3 games only and is the 3D option available through the component input?
Yeah simulview is only for games that support it, and that list is ps3 only at the moment.

Pretty sure 3d requires hdmi.

Played a little bit of Halo CE anniversary in 3d... meh. The framerate gets worse, resolution too, I think. Not worth the 3d effect.

Also, not pleased that Avatar 3d isn't available to buy nowadays. Apparently the extended version in 3d is due out in 2012 sometime. What the fuck is taking so long? I never watched it in 3d in theaters, and I thought with all the tv manufacturers pushing 3d tech, they'd want something like Avatar 3d available to help sell the gimmick.

And I had to buy that new ps3 "blu-ray media remote" because I wanted an easier way of adjusting things in the menu. This thing should've come with a remote, stupid Sony.

Takao

Banned
Also, not pleased that Avatar 3d isn't available to buy nowadays. Apparently the extended version in 3d is due out in 2012 sometime. What the fuck is taking so long? I never watched it in 3d in theaters, and I thought with all the tv manufacturers pushing 3d tech, they'd want something like Avatar 3d available to help sell the gimmick.

Panasonic bought exclusivity to the original Avatar 3D Blu-Ray for bundles of their 3D TVs.

Got the display yesterday and my thoughts so far are:

Good
The 3D works well for games that support it well.
The picture quality is decent.
The display supports HDMI control.
The screen can act as a mirror if you need one lol.

Bad
The screen can act as a tinted mirror and it's noticeable in a well lit room.
The sub woofer is only 5w so the sound doesn't have much bass to it.
Constantly being able to see the reflection of what's behind you in the corners of the 3D glasses is annoying.
Ghosting is noticeable in games like Uncharted 3; especially if you're up close.

Is this display the only 3D TV capable of "Simulview?" or is that just something the PS3 supports with any compatible 3D TV?

Looks like it so far since I haven't seen any other 3d display advertise Simulview and the games have to support it in order for it to work.

Panasonic bought exclusivity to the original Avatar 3D Blu-Ray for bundles of their 3D TVs.
I thought that was a shortsighted move on their part. It's obviously the Blu-Ray movie to push 3D, especially bia word of mouth

It seems like Panasonic paid $ to grab themselves a slightly bigger slice of an ultimately smaller pie.

Does anyone else notice some color bleeding/blurring/ghosting. Not sure what to exactly call it.

Take for instance - on Xbox 360. Go the dashboard panel between the one with IGN insider w/ Jessica Chobot, and the one either to the left or right of her. In 2D - when you swap between the IGN Insider square and the one to the right (or left) I notice there is some red outlining image that bleeds around Jessica's face and then settles away when the image is still.

can anyone confirm or deny this on their 360? You may have to sit a little close, it's subtle, not something extremely drastic.

I understand that artifacts do occur when a 240hz tv is dealing with a 60hz signal, but I just want to know if this is standard, or my particular TV is defective.

yep. it's called crosstalk. a few different 3D technologies suffer from it. in the case of active shutter glasses displays, it's because the pixels can't quite switch all the way between the two images as fast as they need too. certain transitions take longer than others, generally white to black or vice versa is where you'll see it most obviously.

the 3DS suffers from it for different reasons, and some passive technologies suffer from it also.

it's not an issue for every game or film though. it's noticeably worse on KZ3 than it is on Wipeout or God of War PSP collection for example.

If people are noticing bad crosstalk in the Lion King then its honestly safe to write this monitor off. Crosstalk is terrible in many S3D games on my Panny plasma but it can cope with something like the Lion King just fine.

Bought this cause I managed to get it for only $100 with a bunch of trade-ins I had from a Blockbuster closing sale. That plus the three games included made it a good deal. Not planning to do much PC3D gaming on it. For example: Sonic Generations runs smooth as butter in 3D on this thing (surprising when you consider that I'm 24hz mode) but Skyrim run like ass in 3D. My GTX 460 just won't cut it. I have a second PS3 hooked up to it in the bedroom for gaming as well.

A GTX 460 is going to manage 3D games better than a PS3.

You should really be using the 720p/60hz option for PC games, it'll help with framerates as well.

Sonic Generations is a special case, leave your monitor in standard 1080p/60hz 2D mode and use the in game stereo3D option. The monitor should be able to convert that into a 3D image.

A GTX 460 is going to manage 3D games better than a PS3.

You should really be using the 720p/60hz option for PC games, it'll help with framerates as well.

Sonic Generations is a special case, leave your monitor in standard 1080p/60hz 2D mode and use the in game stereo3D option. The monitor should be able to convert that into a 3D image.

Yeah, I really like the way that Sonic Generations handles it. I don't have mess with my initial settings. It does the switch for me.

Yeah, I don't notice any input lag, but I do notice ghosting, or color bleeding. You can really see it on the XMB against a black background or on the 360 dashboard with certain colors over others.

Also, quick question - the package came with Motorstorm? I keep seeing some mentions online here even in the OP that mentions Resistance 3.

Can anyone tell me how wide this display is? I want to put it on my desk to be used as both a gaming TV and a computer monitor. I just want to make sure it will fit.

Yeah, I don't notice any input lag, but I do notice ghosting, or color bleeding. You can really see it on the XMB against a black background or on the 360 dashboard with certain colors over others.

Also, quick question - the package came with Motorstorm? I keep seeing some mentions online here even in the OP that mentions Resistance 3.

You get Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 alongside Motorstorm if you per-ordered from Gamestop. Although, it's waaay too late for that per-order bonus.

Can anyone tell me how wide this display is? I want to put it on my desk to be used as both a gaming TV and a computer monitor. I just want to make sure it will fit.

24 inches.

Newegg has the display on sale for $399 for anyone that's interested.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261314

androvsky

Is this display the only 3D TV capable of "Simulview?" or is that just something the PS3 supports with any compatible 3D TV?

It's theoretically possible that other TVs will handle Simulview if you're using the glasses from this set; they're supposed to work with many other displays, the control for switching player is on the glasses themselves, and it's the glasses that need to do something special to make it work.

RobbieNick

It's available on Best Buy's site for $399 too.

I really want this, but the main thing holding me back is that it's NOT a TV in any way. Is there any way to get around that? Would THIS be a solution?

Afrikan

It's available on Best Buy's site for $399 too.

I really want this, but the main thing holding me back is that it's NOT a TV in any way. Is there any way to get around that? Would THIS be a solution?

what are you trying to watch with it? public television?

that usb tv tuner won't work....you will need a tv turner for the monitor, if you are not going to use your pc. You need something like this TV Tuner box, this one goes for $32...search around you might find one cheaper.

if you already have cable/satellite box, then you won't need no additional product......just hook the HDMI cable to it and you are good to go.....same thing if you watch TV streams using your cpu....hook it up with via VGA.

RobbieNick

that usb tv tuner won't work....you will need a tv turner for the monitor, if you are not going to use your pc. You need something like this TV Tuner box, this one goes for $32...search around you might find one cheaper.

if you already have cable/satellite box, then you won't need no additional product......just hook the HDMI cable to it and you are good to go.....same thing if you watch TV streams using your cpu....hook it up with via VGA.

This is for my small room. That VGA tuner would be perfect though. It would keep the component and HDMI ports free.

what are you trying to watch with it? public television?

The reviews on that unit you linked are pretty scary. Also, will that tuner handle HD (I guess OTA)?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm willing to take a chance with my CC but don't feel like going through all the riddles on Thereisnolist.ca thus I don't know the password.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I know I just need to enter the correct password on thereisnolist.ca to enter this GList site to generate a code.

Looks like Canadian GAFfers can get ahold of the PS 3D TV for 95$ in canabux via this site, though:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sony-playstation-3d-display-bundle-95-g-list-1117360/

One of my buddies in Canada just ordered with the code the site gave him, he's gonna send me pics later (his FS is over a km away, so he said he'll post them tonight as soon as he gets back with it). Should be interesting to see the quality of the thing

I'm tempted to grab a second for dual monitors.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The four answers are Human, Orient, Alucard, Carrier. After I entered all four it redirected me to a sign up page but there isn't any field to submit your info unless you view the page in basic. If you click "no" you'll be redirected to a Justin Bieber video lol

Apparently the website is broken now?

It'd be nice if this is true but I think we're all getting trolled.

JWong

Banned
Looks like Canadian GAFfers can get ahold of the PS 3D TV for 95$ in canabux via this site, though:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sony-playstation-3d-display-bundle-95-g-list-1117360/

One of my buddies in Canada just ordered with the code the site gave him, he's gonna send me pics later (his FS is over a km away, so he said he'll post them tonight as soon as he gets back with it). Should be interesting to see the quality of the thing

;_; why do I not wait?

krae_man

The four answers are Human, Orient, Alucard, Carrier. After I entered all four it redirected me to a sign up page but there isn't any field to submit your info unless you view the page in basic. If you click "no" you'll be redirected to a Justin Bieber video lol

Apparently the website is broken now?

It'd be nice if this is true but I think we're all getting trolled.

If only someone posted the answer to the "Why are you here, construct?" question we could know for sure.

I ended up buying the TV at Best Buy. Both Amazon and Best Buy have it on sale. Tried it out today and absolutely love the TV. It feels bigger than I thought it was. 3D gaming was really fun and it worked well. It sucks that there's no remote (would make it easier to control), otherwise I like it a lot.

I ended up buying the TV at Best Buy. Both Amazon and Best Buy have it on sale. Tried it out today and absolutely love the TV. It feels bigger than I thought it was. 3D gaming was really fun and it worked well. It sucks that there's no remote (would make it easier to control), otherwise I like it a lot.

Damn, wish I knew it was going to be on sale at Amazon. I bought it from NewEgg a couple days ago for the same price. With Amazon I could have gotten more credit card points and received it quicker with Prime shipping.

Glad to hear you like it, though! I eagerly await the arrival of mine as well. I think I'll probably program my universal remote to be able to control the display.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
After 6 hours of grueling server issues I managed to snag my first HDTV (that I'll be keeping :p @ Krae). Thank you FyreWulff!!! You're the fucking man for giving us a heads up.

For $107.35 with tax/shipped I can't complain:)

Just got my display from Futureshop from the $95 deal. It looks great so far.

Does anybody have any ideal color settings. I usually leave them at default, but maybe someone with a better eye than me has good settings.

Also, when I charge the glasses, do they need to be turned on when I plug them in?

Top Bottom