• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3D Display - Pics and Info

snkryo

Bought it today, got it for 200 and also got- 2 pairs of 3d glasses, motorstorm, and mlb 12. Unbelievable deal.

I know it's early the picture on this is outstanding, I don't understand the complaints.

Was this all in a boxed package version or did they let you grab each item and sold it to you all for $200 plus tax?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Was this all in a boxed package version or did they let you grab each item and sold it to you all for $200 plus tax?

Grabbed each item off the racks. Motorstorm and glasses already come packaged, but the extra glasses and mlb got tossed in to sweeten the deal. I was shocked to find each pair of glasses is 69.99. For the glasses alone that's 140$, the 2 games brings it up well beyond the price tag, and on top of it I get a kickass monitor.

Again I don't get the complaints about the quality. The picture is crystal clear and very smooth. I will be doubling this as a monitor and gaming tv. I understand if you paid full price there would be dissapointment, but at 200 you won't find a better deal.

NeOak

hirokazu

Grabbed each item off the racks. Motorstorm and glasses already come packaged, but the extra glasses and mlb got tossed in to sweeten the deal. I was shocked to find each pair of glasses is 69.99. For the glasses alone that's 140$, the 2 games brings it up well beyond the price tag, and on top of it I get a kickass monitor.

Again I don't get the complaints about the quality. The picture is crystal clear and very smooth. I will be doubling this as a monitor and gaming tv. I understand if you paid full price there would be dissapointment, but at 200 you won't find a better deal.

Wow, that's a bargain. I'd buy it for that price, but this is Australia. :(

Bread

Banned
woooo just picked mine up, ill post some impressions when i get home tonight

edit
I played a few races in motorstorm apocalypse, it was pretty fuckin sweet. I'm pumped to check out some of my 3d blu rays. NBA 2k12 on the 360 looked really crisp.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This just seems like a sweet deal to possibly get a 1080p computer monitor with a 240hz refresh rate. 3D just sweetens the deal.

Does anyone know how well this TV would support 3D through a PC? I wouldn't mind popping in some 3D movies if my computer and the TV could play them correctly.

antonz

This just seems like a sweet deal to possibly get a 1080p computer monitor with a 240hz refresh rate. 3D just sweetens the deal.

Does anyone know how well this TV would support 3D through a PC? I wouldn't mind popping in some 3D movies if my computer and the TV could play them correctly.

240hz is a bit of a lie by Sony. It only does 240hz in simulview mode 2D so 60hz per eye. Its a standard 60hz display input

androvsky

From what I understand, it's also limited to 24 fps in 1080p 3D mode, so that might not be the best display for PC 3D in that regard.

Valnen

Im curious on how good it will be for fighting games.

2 frames means it's awful for fighting games. It will effect gameplay. You want something with sub 1 frame of input lag.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database.145141/
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-new-definitive-hdtv-lag-faq.55593/

Do note that not every good TV/monitor is listed on SRK, it's quite outdated. You'll have to look up internet reviews for newer monitors/tv's that are acceptable for gaming. I'm going with this monitor. Only 4.9 MS of input lag according to SRK. I just need to save up for it >.<. It may not be 3D but 3D isn't worth it if it means you get a shitty lagged up display.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
240hz is a bit of a lie by Sony. It only does 240hz in simulview mode 2D so 60hz per eye. Its a standard 60hz display input

Oh wow, it was incredibly misleading then thanks.

From what I understand, it's also limited to 24 fps in 1080p 3D mode, so that might not be the best display for PC 3D in that regard.

Yeah I didn't know this either, I had assumed the 240hz refresh rate was so that it would be capable of 60hz in 1080p 3D but I guess not.

Thanks for the information guys, I won't end up buying this after all.

Kolgar

I price-matched at Best Buy and have spent two nights with the thing. So far, I'm impressed. Granted, I'm not a huge videophile like some of you, but I am pretty jazzed about my purchase.

I just hope it doesn't break.

Here are my impressions, written the day after unboxing.

I got to spend some time with this last night and WOW, I hope this doesn't break on me--because I love it!

First off, it's a good-looking unit that's easy to assemble. When you turn it on--*swoon*--the image is gorgeous. I have a six-year-old 61" DLP as my main screen and a 46" LCD in the bedroom (both Samsungs), and though they are both excellent, this really stands out. I think it must be the pixel density or something--1080p crammed into a 24" panel looks really smooth.

I tried a Blu-ray (Suckerpunch--looked good) and my first game was Wipeout HD (which blew me away). Even without 3D mode enabled, I'd never seen the game (or maybe any game) look that good. The colors, the smoothness... it was something of a revelation to me. And I'd played this plenty on the DLP.

By then, the glasses had charged and I tried 3D mode. Pow! Nice, deep 3D, though I cannot claim to be an expert as this is my first 3D panel. I did notice some "crosstalk" or whatever the term is for bleeding or blurring, but I haven't messed with the 3D settings and I don't know how much of that is inherent to the technology.

The screen was a bit dimmer, of course, due to the 3D glasses (which I found perfectly comfortable, but perhaps I was expecting the worst). I played in a full-dark room, so the image was plenty bright. Daytime play may be another matter.

I went on to try some Gran Turismo 5. The game already looks incredible, so the 3D came across as more of a novelty there, adding somewhat of a cartoonish depth to the race. I circled the track three times with a big smile on my face.

The real show-stopper was Killzone 3. Granted, all of these games are lookers to start with, but between the monitor's high image quality and 3D, they just jumped to a new level for me.

Killzone 3 looked like a shooting gallery in a box, and I mean that in the best possible way. The gun looked detailed and sharp in the foreground, and the enemies and debris strewn about receded into the distance convincingly. Ashes fell from the sky in remarkably realistic fashion, with some occasionally dropping so close to the "camera" that I felt the instinct to duck.

I went to bed smiling and that smile returned when I woke up this morning and remembered last night's travails.

Now, having said THAT, the screen IS small. The lack of a remote control hurts right away, as setup is unnecessarily troublesome. And by that, I mean any number of four-letter words that I spat through gritted teeth but won't repeat here. Fumbling around for picture and 3D controls, I accidentally powered down the display three times--a damning performance that really highlights this dumb design decision.

The buttons themselves don't feel that high-quality, either. But then again, I've not yet read of anyone complaining about the buttons breaking.

Worse are the speakers. There's a subwoofer in there? Really, Sony? Because these things are horrible, and I can say that unconditionally. The sound that issues from them is embarrassing, and one of the (more sedate) background menu tunes on GT5 made the speakers squelch and squeal in a way that made me think one of them was physically broken. Yes, they're tinny. No, I have no other options (besides headphones) as I am still one of the 21st-century cavemen running an archaic 2.1 bookshelf speaker system (with red and white audio cables) for sound in that room (my office).

I didn't encounter any reliability problems last night--no stuck pixels, the panel seems evenly lit--so I am hoping that by some small miracle I got one that won't have problems. At this rate, for $200 (plus $20 for a two-year warranty), I'll put up with one exchange if need be, because this is a pretty low cost of entry for me to get a really nice console/gaming laptop display in the house, and one that does 3D to boot.

The fact that I like it so much makes it doubly disappointing that the product is plagued with such quality issues. It's so darned BEAUTIFUL that I really want to own and use this thing for years to come. I guess that's what warranties are for. Had this product not had problems, I wouldn't have had the chance to pick it up for two bills in the first place.

I consider it a risk, but in my case, a risk worth taking. Whether the same is true for you depends on your budget and you.

Did I mention it looks gorgeous?

It's listed at that price on Gamestop.ca as well for any Canadians interrested.
SKC7N.png

Honestly, 250 bucks?!

Jak140

Is there something wrong with my display/glasses or is the crosstalk/ghosting really bad when there are dark high contrast scenes? I tested a 3D blu-ray (Legend of the Guardians) and there are times during dark scenes in particular when ghosting would turn the screen into an incoherent jumbled mess. Even on Motorstorm I'm seeing a lot of shimmering/ghosting, though the game is still at least playable it is very distracting.

Roto13

Recently my display has started blacking out for a second or two at a time. It happened once the other day during The Walking Dead so I figured it was just a bug or something, but today it happened several times when I was playing Final Fantasy XIII-2, and again after I quit the game and went back to the XMB.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Recently my display has started blacking out for a second or two at a time. It happened once the other day during The Walking Dead so I figured it was just a bug or something, but today it happened several times when I was playing Final Fantasy XIII-2, and again after I quit the game and went back to the XMB.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Occasionally mine will do the same thing. But it happens like once every other day if I'm lucky and it could happen at any time (movie, game, idle, etc). I first replaced the HDMI cable then the power cable with no better result. I did a ton a research and found that it is a bug of some kind and Sony won't fix it with a firmware upgrade or whatever they need to do. I wouldn't bother exchanging it since everybody with one seems to have it happen at least once or twice. I've kind of gotten used to it as it doesnt happen as often as others.

sethcheek

I'm on my third. Best Buy keeps swapping them out for me, but if this one craps out, I'm returning it for good. The 3-4 second blackouts happen on HDMI and component sources for me. Frustrating, because otherwise I love the picture. I don't use the internal speakers so I don't have any comments on them.

Roto13

Occasionally mine will do the same thing. But it happens like once every other day if I'm lucky and it could happen at any time (movie, game, idle, etc). I first replaced the HDMI cable then the power cable with no better result. I did a ton a research and found that it is a bug of some kind and Sony won't fix it with a firmware upgrade or whatever they need to do. I wouldn't bother exchanging it since everybody with one seems to have it happen at least once or twice. I've kind of gotten used to it as it doesnt happen as often as others.

Well it happened four or five times to me today. :/ I'm concerned that it's going to start happening every few minutes. Or just black out and never come back.

Kolgar

Well it happened four or five times to me today. :/ I'm concerned that it's going to start happening every few minutes. Or just black out and never come back.

That seems the pattern from what I've read: it happens more and more frequently until it finally won't power on.

For what it's worth, I've also heard that people may be having better luck with their monitors once they've gotten them back from Sony's repair center. But I don't know this for sure and I am still hoping I will never have to find out.

Picked up one from Best Buy yesterday for $200. Can't hook it up yet because I don't have an HDMI cable long enough to reach my AVR, but one is on the way. Should be here around the same time as my new 3D video card, so I guess I need to cop a 3D PC game or something... Sucks this thing doesn't come with a remote, but at least it has an IR sensor, so the new PS3 remote should work with it.

Enron

Banned
I bought one of these yesterday for a desk gaming TV, but it didn't really work in the space i wanted to use it in. Kinda glad, too, after reading this thread. I should have checked gaf beforehand....this thing seems like an absolute piece of garbage.

can anyone enlighten me on why i can't force side-by-side 3d? i hooked up the display to my desktop, which has an ati 4870, which has two dvi-outputs. i'm using a dvi to hdmi adapter to an hdmi cable, and no dice. i also have a dvi to hdmi cable, and same issue. cannot force side by side mode. it seems like i can only force side by side if it's hdmi to hdmi. my other two laptops let me do side by side through hdmi to hdmi. Thanks folks.

I think I am going to bite. Have a $30 gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

Anyone that has had one of these working for more than 30 days?

Mzo

Like 2 ms. Very low lag, as you would expect from a display with the word "PlayStation" right on it. :p

Except in 3D mode.

If you meant input lag, not response time then it's 2 frames (32msec)
These are very different replies. The first sounds great, the second is abysmal.

Since Sony refused to answer any input lag questions before the TV was released, I assume it's 2 frames.

1-D_FTW

These are very different replies. The first sounds great, the second is abysmal.

Since Sony refused to answer any input lag questions before the TV was released, I assume it's 2 frames.

It's been established the thing has pretty unacceptable input lag. So nice assumption.

Went in store last night. They said they had about 10 of the TVs still. Couldn't bite. Instead I bought some cheap PSP stuff.

Just wait for Black Friday deals for a 3D display or television, man. Don't give in to this piece of junk no matter how attractive the price and feature is.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is this still worth picking up? I found someone selling refurbed displays for a decent price, but am concerned about the failure rate.

Artorias

Banned
Is this still worth picking up? I found someone selling refurbed displays for a decent price, but am concerned about the failure rate.

I like it, but I don't use it all that much. Mine had the video cut out every so often for the first couple months but that seemed to completely go away, hasn't happened in ages. I'm still kinda worried about that but I got a 4 year warranty since the TV was so cheap when they were closing it out .

v1lla21

Some didn't work correctly. I bought mine and it broke 3 months later. The display would turn off and not turn on again. I sent it in multiple times and it always kept doing it until it just didn't work anymore. I don't know if yours will work. My cousin also bought one the same day as I did and his has worked perfectly.

I bought 4 3D glasses for it and never used them.

I guess mine blacks out for a second sometimes too... guess that's happening to others, by reading the posts above.

I liked the TV, but since I never used it for 3D, I don't think it's a worthy purchase. The spakers are behind the TV so it always sounded wierd and I had to turn the volume really loud to hear it, which made me conscious of what people outside or in other rooms would hear on my TV

I'm still using it though.

I've had this for almost exactly two years now, and I like it a lot. I've randomly gotten the blinking red light a couple of times throughout the past year and a half, but it's very rare and always goes away when I power cycle the display.

I don't use it as much for gaming anymore since i got a projector last summer (which is also 3D), but it's a great little computer monitor and when I do need to play or watch something in the day time, the colors are absolutely gorgeous.

Also I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but there's some sort of 3DS XL-style filter that makes 720p content look better than it otherwise would.

Edit: My video cuts out every so often too, but it always coincides with the refrigerator in my dorm room turning on or off. Which is strange, since it's in the opposite side of the room and connected to a different outlet.

Top Bottom