• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3D Display - Pics and Info

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Does Sony (or other companies if it's not patent by Sony) have any plans to add the full screen 2 player tech thingy for bigger 3DTVs?

Sorry to bring this thread back... but, do any of you have it? I got it for "free" with gamestop/ebgames trade credits for lack of anything else to get with their fake money (and wanted a new pc monitor anyway).

I thought maybe I dodged this defect, but I just got my first "random black screen"... jeez, I was hoping that it was trumped up on the playstation support forums but now that I've seen it I'm wondering - how the heck did this get past everybody in development, production and even reviews?

See this thread:
http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3911087?start=0&tstart=0

I've only had it for a week... now of course, I could package it up and get myself back to the store and ask for another one but I'm not exactly feeling confident I'll get one that is any different and quite possibly get one with worse screen uniformity etc (this one is excellent, no bleeding etc.)

It seems that all of the displays out in the wild so far were all made in either August or September and it doesn't say when it was made on the packaging so you can only look at serial numbers and perhaps try to find the one with the largest number and hope you got one where they changed something in manufacturing.

I think I'll just see how often it happens in the next coming week, give it some time for perhaps some fresher stock to make it's way into stores before starting an exchange marathon. If it wasn't for this, I'd be totally happy with what you get for $299 (nevermind I didn't pay real money for it so to speak).

mine died less in a day. returned/exchanged it and the 2nd one has been fine.

only problem is i barely play games and just use it as a nice looking tv.

Sorry to bring this thread back... but, do any of you have it? I got it for "free" with gamestop/ebgames trade credits for lack of anything else to get with their fake money (and wanted a new pc monitor anyway).

I thought maybe I dodged this defect, but I just got my first "random black screen"... jeez, I was hoping that it was trumped up on the playstation support forums but now that I've seen it I'm wondering - how the heck did this get past everybody in development, production and even reviews?

See this thread:
http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3911087?start=0&tstart=0

I've only had it for a week... now of course, I could package it up and get myself back to the store and ask for another one but I'm not exactly feeling confident I'll get one that is any different and quite possibly get one with worse screen uniformity etc (this one is excellent, no bleeding etc.)

It seems that all of the displays out in the wild so far were all made in either August or September and it doesn't say when it was made on the packaging so you can only look at serial numbers and perhaps try to find the one with the largest number and hope you got one where they changed something in manufacturing.

I think I'll just see how often it happens in the next coming week, give it some time for perhaps some fresher stock to make it's way into stores before starting an exchange marathon. If it wasn't for this, I'd be totally happy with what you get for $299 (nevermind I didn't pay real money for it so to speak).

I only had that happen to me once. It was weird. But I have a different issue with this TV.

You first turn it on it's set to 3d auto - and there is terrible ghosting/blur problems. Also, there seems to be this weird blue ghost image that kind of trails on darker backgrounds, grey on black etc. etc., it leaves a bluish after-color streak. And then, I press the 3d button on the back to side by side, top bottom, and BACK TO 3d auto, and oddly, the ghosting problem minimizes significantly...the fuck?

Can any of you guys try this. On PS3 - go to netflix, to the main browsing screen. And move your cursor up and down through the columns, you'll notice really bad ghosting. And then press the 3d button on the back right to go to side by side, top bottom, and then back to 3d auto - and then the ghosting mostly goes away. This does not seem normal at all. However, I've exchanged this TV...two fucking times, and all three units I've had have this problem? I think it may be a production run that a lot of the stores in Vegas received...I don't know. Shit's getting annoying.

Have one and it rocks. The screen quality is really good and even when I'm not using it for 3D games or what not, it still functions as a pretty decent tv. Just too bad there is no remote that comes with it or I would be in heaven.

Have one and it rocks. The screen quality is really good and even when I'm not using it for 3D games or what not, it still functions as a pretty decent tv. Just too bad there is no remote that comes with it or I would be in heaven.

You can use pretty much any Sony remote including from other Sony TVs and probably even old ass VCRs or DVD players that you may have kicking around. I just use my harmony remote.

B.K.

Gamestop has a promotion going on this month for the display. If you buy it, you get a free copy of the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection and Gran Turismo 5: XL Edition.

After about 9 days my display started doing the blanking out for a second or two and then coming back like nothing happened. Mine was made in September.

I guess I'm going to exchange it. I don't want to exchange it too soon, because I'd like to get one made in a later run (if any exist or are trickling into the stores soon) but I don't want to start exchanging too late in case I get a unit with even more problems than the one I already have in terms of quality of the display itself (bleeding / dead pixels or otherwise).

I get the feeling that they haven't made any displays that have addressed the core cause of these blackouts yet though. They may even have just given up on the whole product by now and aren't planning on making any more ever in which case, well, I don't know what their solution for us would be.

At least I know after the 30 days Sony will have my back and replace it during the 1 year warranty period but going through that RMA process with Sony involving mailing things out etc. is going to be a pain in comparison.

elohel

Gamestop has a promotion going on this month for the display. If you buy it, you get a free copy of the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection and Gran Turismo 5: XL Edition.

boy they must be really struggling lol great deal tho is it for 399 or the five hundo price?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Same on my display though not as bad. To be honest I've mentioned a few times these are junky for various reasons. The QA of these sets are terrible. Sony should release a firmware update.

My first set had bleeding issues, random black screens, fried speakers and a constant low and high buzzing noises coming from the rear of the set near the inputs. My second set fixed all of those issues except for the buzzing which I think is a capacitor or power supply issue.

Same on my display though not as bad. To be honest I've mentioned a few times these are junky for various reasons. The QA of these sets are terrible. Sony should release a firmware update.

My first set had bleeding issues, random black screens, fried speakers and a constant low and high buzzing noises coming from the rear of the set near the inputs. My second set fixed all of those issues except for the buzzing which I think is a capacitor or power supply issue.

It's strange because this is my 2nd unit. My first one also had this apparent ghosting problem, I exchanged it for another one - and well, you've seen the video. The problem is still there.

I seem to have solved (fingers crossed) my occasional blanking out problem by replacing the HDMI cable I was using - which just happened to be the one closest on hand, a shitty one bundled with a satellite receiver - with another one I've had kicking around for a long time from monoprice.

Difference is the monoprice ones have ferrite cores on both ends of the cable. I think these displays are a bit sensitive to RF noise on the hdmi inputs which could have been coming from these things around me..

1) Pot lights on dimmers
2) CFL lights in the house
3) Wireless router which is mounted to the wall right behind my desk
4) Cordless phone
5) Microwave
7) The fillings in my teeth
8) Can of beer... etc. etc.

Mine does make a bit of a buzzing sound (like a transformer... if you put your ear up to wall warts they tend to make the same sound) near the inputs as well. Seems like that's just the way it is... honestly, I never even noticed it until I read it here and stuck my ear up to it.

No ghosting that I've ever noticed even scrolling through web sites etc. really fast.

Given that mine...

1) Have any backlight bleeding at all
2) Has only very minor clouding at high backlight levels

I'm going to keep it unless it does something major I don't like between now and the end of the month. I would really hate to exchange it and just end up with one with bleeding or noticeable clouding etc. I actually really like using it as a PC monitor.

The secret to making it not an AWFUL PC display is to set SHARPNESS to 0.

I swear, the sharpness image processing on this set does something really messed up with cleartype/small fonts. Most people have been just dismissing it as a terrible PC monitor because of the font problems but really ... it's just the sharpness setting.

Considering I get to watch the occasional 3D blu-ray at my desk, play the occasional 3D PS3 game, and still have a pretty nice PC monitor and you can have it just using trade in credits from various turds it's a steal.

My display is officially going back to gamestop today for exchange. I've had it less than two weeks and one of the LED backlights at the bottom edge blew out after a few games of Starhawk last night. It now has a bad case of reverse flashlighting where the middle bottom of the screen has a big dark spot.

Well, that's a new one for me. I've never had a backlight go bad on any TV or Monitor regardless of CCFL or LED. I'm back to using a 7 year old Dell CCFL Ultrasharp which is still going strong - I would have expected the backlight on this thing to have died before a 2 week old LED Sony.

I'm just hoping I get one that was built after some kind of manufacturing change was made now and that if it's going to die too it will die before the end of the month so I can exchange it again and not go through the Sony RMA process.

If I paid for the thing with real money or especially at the original MSRP of $500 instead of $300 I'd be more pissed.

Elfish

Nothing to do with this screen though.

How do I configurate my LG D2342P so I can play in 3D on my PS3?

Can't find anything specific on the net about it though.

And it has to work normally if you look at this http://www.lg.com/hk/it-product/monitor/LG-D2342P.jsp and select the product features.

My PS3 is connected with a HDMI 1.4 cable.

Can someone give me some tips or any help please.

Elfish

But do I have to configurate my screen settings somewhere on the LG monitor or PS3 to see the 3D then?
Can you be a bit more specific about that please.
And I know that only 3D supported games should work.

loborzelda

Neo Member
I also have the LG D2342P. To get the 3d to work on the PS3 go to "Settings">"Display Settings">"Video Output Settings"> select HDMI> now you HAVE to select "Automatic" for the 3D monitor to be recognized by the PS3. If you select "Custom" it will NOT work.

I just got this TV and I am absolutely LOVING it so far.

Anybody got any tips on adjusting the settings to get the best possible picture? Stuff like color, contrast, backlight, etc. I still don't really get what the 3D options are for.

Speaking of 3D, its BLOWING MY MIND. Been playing Shadow of the Collossus in 3D and its friggin' FANTASTIC. Its like a whole new game from what I played back in 2007 as an impulse buy with no knowledge of the title.

However, going to the third collossus, galloping down the valley, the 3D effect became REALLY weird, lots of ghosting, so much so that I couldn't even make out what was going on on the screen. I assumed my glasses had run out of battery so I stopped playing for the night.

Hope reviving this thread isn't much of a problem, wanted to talk about this TV and I'm glad there was an official thread.

Is anyone using this as a PC monitor? I've heard mixed reviews with it being used with the PC.

Just to come in and reiterate, turn the sharpness setting on the display down to 0 and everything for PC use looks wonderful. The sharpness processing on the display makes a lot of fonts on PC look weird.

It is a common complaint, but the fix is so simple I don't know why all of the reviews/mentions of this "flaw" never even tried to adjust the set.

My only beef with these things, of which I now own TWO of (I just picked up my second one from a store that was having employee pricing and got it for $255), and have exchanged 2 more trying to avoid it is an intermittent problem where the screen with blank out for a second randomly once in a while. I thought it was something wrong with the particular display but every single one of them has done it on occasion.

I've only seen it happen hooked up to my PC, but others have said it happened to them when using the PS3 as well so I don't think it's the source. I thought it might be RF interference and switched to a monoprice cable with ferrite cores on each end and thought that might have solved it but it didn't - so it's not a cable thing either.

I plan on just ignoring it since it doesn't happen very often, and perhaps 6 months from now if it gets any worse I will just send one or both in to Sony to "repair" and hope that by then they will have some new revision of the hardware/firmware that corrects it.

There IS a hidden USB port behind a snap off panel at the back that is called the service port so it seems obvious that this thing was built to accept firmware updates but as of yet there have been none released.

Anyway, funny reading the initial impressions at the beginning of the thread and look where we are now. If this thing had an MSRP of what I just paid for my second one ($250) would everybody be rocking one of these? By the way, I have now unboxed a total of 4 of these and all were made in either August or September of 2011. It doesn't appear that Sony sold enough of these to warrant making another batch of them and I find myself wondering if the European release will ever even happen now. I think they are probably selling enough of these every time the price goes to $300 that it won't drop any further in general and perhaps once they're gone, they're gone for good. It's just funny how only a few months after release (they came out in November right?) I was able to pick one up for $250 (well, $240 since I traded in the motorstorm the first one came with hehe)... I think that's a steal of a deal.

Motorstorm itself is a pretty good racing game and looks great in 3D (I have yet to try the simulview yet, even though now that I have two of the displays I also have two pairs of glasses), I think I still would have rather seen it bundled with R3 as was originally announced... I also think the display bundle would have sold better as there were probably far more people out there that were already factoring the cost of purchasing R3 into the equation and had no plans to buy motorstorm).

What calibration base are you guys using? I know things change from different environment to environment, but usually there is a consistent common ground.

Also, what about some of the RGB settings - i.e, limited vs. full. Super white on vs. off etc.

Just to come in and reiterate, turn the sharpness setting on the display down to 0 and everything for PC use looks wonderful. The sharpness processing on the display makes a lot of fonts on PC look weird.

It is a common complaint, but the fix is so simple I don't know why all of the reviews/mentions of this "flaw" never even tried to adjust the set.

My only beef with these things, of which I now own TWO of (I just picked up my second one from a store that was having employee pricing and got it for $255), and have exchanged 2 more trying to avoid it is an intermittent problem where the screen with blank out for a second randomly once in a while. I thought it was something wrong with the particular display but every single one of them has done it on occasion.

I've only seen it happen hooked up to my PC, but others have said it happened to them when using the PS3 as well so I don't think it's the source. I thought it might be RF interference and switched to a monoprice cable with ferrite cores on each end and thought that might have solved it but it didn't - so it's not a cable thing either.

I plan on just ignoring it since it doesn't happen very often, and perhaps 6 months from now if it gets any worse I will just send one or both in to Sony to "repair" and hope that by then they will have some new revision of the hardware/firmware that corrects it.

There IS a hidden USB port behind a snap off panel at the back that is called the service port so it seems obvious that this thing was built to accept firmware updates but as of yet there have been none released.

Anyway, funny reading the initial impressions at the beginning of the thread and look where we are now. If this thing had an MSRP of what I just paid for my second one ($250) would everybody be rocking one of these? By the way, I have now unboxed a total of 4 of these and all were made in either August or September of 2011. It doesn't appear that Sony sold enough of these to warrant making another batch of them and I find myself wondering if the European release will ever even happen now. I think they are probably selling enough of these every time the price goes to $300 that it won't drop any further in general and perhaps once they're gone, they're gone for good. It's just funny how only a few months after release (they came out in November right?) I was able to pick one up for $250 (well, $240 since I traded in the motorstorm the first one came with hehe)... I think that's a steal of a deal.

Motorstorm itself is a pretty good racing game and looks great in 3D (I have yet to try the simulview yet, even though now that I have two of the displays I also have two pairs of glasses), I think I still would have rather seen it bundled with R3 as was originally announced... I also think the display bundle would have sold better as there were probably far more people out there that were already factoring the cost of purchasing R3 into the equation and had no plans to buy motorstorm).

I thought the service USB port was mainly there to charge the glasses (for the odd few that have the TV yet no PS3). Or was it designed for expected firmware updates?

JWong

Banned

I had to exchange mines because it wouldn't turn on anymore. I think it's attributed to me using it as a PC dual monitor.

Is this the same issue you have? It powers on with a blue solid light, then goes into a blinking red light?

BibiMaghoo

I love the two player non-split screen. Its really impressive, I would love to see it work IRL.

I have a 3DTV purchased for gaming, and find it a little underwhelming for the most part.

Current gen consoles do not deal with it well. In nearly every case a compromise needs to be made elsewhere in order to accomodate the 3D mode.

I'm sorry, but I'm completely ignorant on this.

Can I use this wih my 570 on my PC to get 3d?

I have little interest in hookin it up with my ps3 as I already have a 3dtv

Reading through this thread is rather ugly. Just find yourselves a Panasonic LED model and you'll have a great gaming tv. Low input lag, no smearing, etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this display has a "PSP Zoom Mode" that lets you play PSP Games full screen on the device. Haven't tried it yet.

Sorry to bump such an old post, but THIS!!!

I gave it and bought the monitor, MLB, and the second pair of glasses at work under that 299 deal. I was setting this up today when I saw the psp zoom option in the manual; I was like WTF! I have never even heard of this feature before, not even from the Sony rep!

So after some uncharted 3, I dug up my components for the psp and gave it a test toast.

It was godly!!

Playing ridge racer 2 at high Res, no shitty borders, with 120hz! Awesome! Playing Megaman powered up right now and loving every moment. This alone justifies my 299!

My question is that why didn't Sony make a big deal about this? Fuck, why didn't we?

leroidys

Sorry to bump such an old post, but THIS!!!

I gave it and bought the monitor, MLB, and the second pair of glasses at work under that 299 deal. I was setting this up today when I saw the psp zoom option in the manual; I was like WTF! I have never even heard of this feature before, not even from the Sony rep!

So after some uncharted 3, I dug up my components for the psp and gave it a test toast.

It was godly!!

Playing ridge racer 2 at high Res, no shitty borders, with 120hz! Awesome! Playing Megaman powered up right now and loving every moment. This alone justifies my 299!

My question is that why didn't Sony make a big deal about this? Fuck, why didn't we?

That is pretty cool, I never heard of this mode.

I've been wanting to get some kind of 3D setup for a while, but the thing is that if sony never released the HMZ I would have snapped this monitor up in a second. As it is, I'm waiting for the headset tech to advance and come down in price.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Very temped to pick one of these up. It's just been released in NZ and comes with 2nd pair of glasses, Killzone 3 and GT5.

I've only read this page so far so impressions aren't too great. Don't like the idea of a Black Screen of Death though. Perhaps I should pay 25% more (That's easier than listing NZ currency) for a 27" Samsung S27A950D LED 3D monitor. Decisions decisions.

Dwayne

Would be cheaper to import the best buy one from someone you know in the US, even if you got busted by customs you'd easily save $150+ dollars, and get 2 games for free.

edit: didn't realise the NZ one comes with games :D

I looked at this at Bestbuy today and was kind of disappointed. The image doesn't look that sharp in 3D and the 3D effect feels a flatter than when I play on my 3DS. It's hard to tell though since they don't have it hooked up to anything but that like 20sec video looping of motor storm and the stupid butler commercial. Sort of killed any desire I had to get one.

I looked at this at Bestbuy today and was kind of disappointed. The image doesn't look that sharp in 3D and the 3D effect feels a flatter than when I play on my 3DS. It's hard to tell though since they don't have it hooked up to anything but that like 20sec video looping of motor storm and the stupid butler commercial. Sort of killed any desire I had to get one.

Keep in mind for that BB demo, it is just showing the Simulview feature. That's why it looks so flat; when you do the Simulview feature, it doesn't show 3d!

I wish they'd hooked it up to the uncharted 3 demo. The flames were incredible!

A question though for those who bought the set...how the fuck do you adjust the nose piece of the 3d glasses? The manuals say you can make adjustments, but they're screwed into place. Any ideas?

Roto13

I think 3D depth has more to do with software than hardware. Some games just look more 3D than others. Both on PS3 and 3DS.

I'm pretty much the only one with problems outside the random black screen of death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvoJ8_biqdk

I'm glad someone finally posted a video like that. Sony and Samsung's LCD panels are garbage. They smear blacks in an obnoxious manner, and it's amazing to me that most TV reviewers never mention it. The two companies have a joint production facility that creates their panels, so they share them.

maskrider

Have used the PS 3D display for a month, swapped back with my trusty Dell U2410 and I am happy again.

Major problems
1. Glossy and reflective surface
2. Serious ghosting with games (I only have Musou games anf GT5, though, movies are not as much)
3. Black is whiter than grey
4. Dithering is very visible

Non-major problems
1. The speakers should be removed since they sound so bad but they make the TV bigger
2. Non-standard mount (not VESA)
3. Obviously limited colour space comparing to a similar priced monitor

Top Bottom