• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3D Display - Pics and Info

Long beaten but yeah, 24p is a damn godsend!

On the PS3 you go to:

Video Settings - 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI) - On

Now Blu Rays and upscaled DVD's will playback at 24fps aka their intended speed as shot with the film camera.
This is the best thing in home cinema playback in, like, ever and essential in these days of 200fps motion flow interpolated frame bullshit.

How did you ever get Newegg to PM?
Sent an email to them and didn't get a response. I called their customer service line and was told that they don't do the PM because it's not an "Iron Egg" item. I argued that I've been a preferred customer for years and have spent thousands with them over the years (in new PC builds alone!) and if they don't want my business I'd take it to Best Buy. They were nice enough to do the PM for me.

Anyway, set arrived today. I'm using it as my primary PC monitor and all is well. The standard display settings out of the box look garbage for reading text on the net but I changed things over to "Cinema" and adjusted the (limited) video settings and have a picture I'm quite happy with.

I played a level or two of Modern Warfare 2 on the PC and the PQ is really very nice for gaming. I haven't tried any movies, 3D games or console games as of yet. The PS3 is all hooked up though and I'll be giving Uncharted 3 a whirl a little later on in 3D.

Also, I love the fit of the glasses that comes with it. The fact that they work with my VT25 Panasonic set is a nice plus.

Medalion

Banned
I returned the display today

Just wasn't worth it, despite the nice 240hz, 3d is just meh to me, I am spoiled by the 3DS, I had those tight ass dark glasses

Medalion said:
I am spoiled by the 3DS
To each their own but the 3DS is great until you move the thing half an inch from the "sweet spot" and it becomes a nightmare of ghosting/crosstalk. Half the time I turn the 3D off because of it to be quite honest. I'll take the glasses and being able to view from multiple angles personally (either passive or active shutter).

JB1981

This 23" LG passive 3D monitor is a better alternative to this display and is about fifty bucks less before shipping. You don't lose anywhere near the brightness with passive displays as you do with active shutter glass setups and there is no crosstalk, though the vertical viewing angle is a little narrow and there can still be a little ghosting on some content. With a monitor of that size, you're likely to be a few feet away when you use it, anyway, so the viewing angle won't be so much of a problem.
It's a monitor, not a tv and doesn't come with glasses or a game

Medalion

Banned
The PS3 display is not a tv either but yes it does come with active display 3d glasses that can charge on the PS3 usb port with charging cable, and a free PS3 3D game

Active display 3D is better than passive 3d like that LG monitor is, halves the 3d resolution through the glasses

Has anybody been having a problem with their glasses holding a charge? I've had them plugged in for a good 7 hours and they will turn on for 10 seconds and the light will blink and they turn off.

Do I need to be charging them on the xbm? I've been charging while I play games.

Barsinister

Banned
Has anybody been having a problem with their glasses holding a charge? I've had them plugged in for a good 7 hours and they will turn on for 10 seconds and the light will blink and they turn off.

Do I need to be charging them on the xbm? I've been charging while I play games.

Glasses need to be turned on when charging.

Medalion

Banned
When the glasses are plugged in, they will charge until it's full in which the light will turn off, always leave the battery switch to on in the inside or they will not charge

Thanks. The glasses were on the entire time, so that wouldn't be the problem. I even plug them back in and turn them on and the charging light turns off immediately.

Medalion

Banned
Then that means it's full.

You shouldn't need to charge the glasses for 7 hours.

Hold down the button on top of the glasses to turn them on or off when you are ready to watch 3D content

Acrylic7

Wait, you have to charge the glasses?
when the hell did this happen? Never tried anything 3D except my 3DS. Iv never heard of charging 3d glasses.
I thought you just put them on and enjoy.

Medalion

Banned
Wait, you have to charge the glasses?
when the hell did this happen? Never tried anything 3D except my 3DS. Iv never heard of charging 3d glasses.
I thought you just put them on and enjoy.

The type of 3D used in this display is something called Active 3D... the ones you see in the theatres and other places are passive 3D which are plain glasses that are polarize tinted or use the colors of red/blue or green/red or whatever.

In Active 3D there is an additional process to making 3D come more alive and in better resolution because in passive 3D the resolution is essentially cut in half, whereas in active 3d it's the full resolution presented on the screen.

Acrylic7

The type of 3D used in this display is something called Active 3D... the ones you see in the theatres and other places are passive 3D which are plain glasses that are polarize tinted or use the colors of red/blue or green/red or whatever.

In Active 3D there is an additional process to making 3D come more alive and in better resolution because in passive 3D the resolution is essentially cut in half, whereas in active 3d it's the full resolution presented on the screen.

-_-' Ok, now I see

Medalion

Banned
There is a usb charging cable (very short) bundled with the display and glasses, like the usb charging cable of your ps3 controllers, the charging port is on top of the glasses, you have to move the cover covering the port (it's next to the small button) and put the mini usb side into the glasses and the other usb part into the ps3

The PS3 display is not a tv either but yes it does come with active display 3d glasses that can charge on the PS3 usb port with charging cable, and a free PS3 3D game

Active display 3D is better than passive 3d like that LG monitor is, halves the 3d resolution through the glasses

Passive has advantages too though. Dirt cheap generic glasses, doesnt dim the brightness by half like active.

I would think a better deal would be any passive, cheap, big screen sets, that are also real TV's. 24" is just not going to be that impressive. Looking on Best Buy there's a 43" Samsung Plasma 3DTV for 529, for example. Personally I'm not big on plasma but I'm sure it's fine, some people love it.

Medalion

Banned
The 24 inch is meant to be played up close like a computer monitor, but if you intend to sit on the couch that is farther away then yeah it's not gonna cut it

Pein

Banned
3D on this thing is great, I tried gears 3 and Uncharted they both looked good to me. I also dig the headphone jack and the design. For the $300 I paid it was a good buy.

I can also use this thing for fighting games now, my old tv had monstrous lag for fighting games like SSF4.

It's a monitor, not a tv and doesn't come with glasses or a game

They're both computer monitors. The LG set, like most passive sets, comes with at least one pair of polarized glasses and a clip-on set for prescription lens wearers. (You can also use any RealD 3D glasses you get from a theater.) No included PS3 3D game, but its value is debatable depending on the person buying.

The LG monitor I posted is one I've tried for myself, just like the PS 3D Display. The LG is better from my brief experience, but I prefer passive in every way despite potential perceived resolution differences (I have a large Toshiba passive 3D TV that uses the same method (FPR), though it does mitigate the resolution issue a bit by using it's '3D Resolution+' to merge and 'enhance' image data to create fuller, more detailed halves of the picture for each eye.) I personally think that the resolution issue is mostly an issue that active 3D proponents (display manufacturers, mostly) like to jump on with relatively little agreement from consumers who try it out for themselves.

Omiee

i thought id post this here since the other 3d impressions thread is dead

im getting this tv:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/281531/samsung-ps51d550.html

and i wanted to know, if i can just use a normal hdmi cable to hook my ps3 up and play 3d games.

also i have some 3d files on my pc, can i just put them on my ps3 hdd and watch them in 3d?

what about media server thing in the ps3, can i stream 3d movies from my pc?

Darko

i thought id post this here since the other 3d impressions thread is dead

im getting this tv:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/281531/samsung-ps51d550.html

and i wanted to know, if i can just use a normal hdmi cable to hook my ps3 up and play 3d games.

also i have some 3d files on my pc, can i just put them on my ps3 hdd and watch them in 3d?

what about media server thing in the ps3, can i stream 3d movies from my pc?

You can only stream side by side 3d movies, the. Turn on side. H side mode when the movies playing

Medalion

Banned
what do you mean?

When you watch a 3D movie being streamed to your TV, it presents as a SIDE by SIDE picture, so two pictures side by side, representing the LEFT and RIGHT field of view... you have to turn on the SIDE by SIDE 3D mode of your monitor/TV to take advantage of the 3D look and then put on the 3D glasses

Omiee

When you watch a 3D movie being streamed to your TV, it presents as a SIDE by SIDE picture, so two pictures side by side, representing the LEFT and RIGHT field of view... you have to turn on the SIDE by SIDE 3D mode of your monitor/TV to take advantage of the 3D look and then put on the 3D glasses

ok, i will have the tv tomorrow and will post again when i need more help.

what if i just put the content on my hdd of the ps3?

would i need to do something special?

Medalion

Banned
ok, i will have the tv tomorrow and will post again when i need more help.

what if i just put the content on my hdd of the ps3?

would i need to do something special?

You could possibly copy the 3D video file to your HDD, the format of the video would still be side by side, assuming that's how it was formatted to begin with, you have to experiment around with it

I am having a good time with this display so far. I was wondering though. Why do 3D games look so pixelated ? Even when I am playing a pc game at 1080p, Full MSAA and 60 fps, games still look pixelated.

BrhysH

Love the TV, best 95 bucks I've spent.

Using it as a computer monitor with Ps3 hooked up, there is a little ghosting (in uncharted 3) but I'm not complaining SW:Tor looks fantastic :D

Mzo

Appears that the 3D monitor lags about 3 frames behind the CRT for input display and hit marker appearing.

Disappointing.
This is all that needs to be said about a display aimed specifically at people who play video games.

So I didn't have the extra cash then but now I do for one of these. I want one but based on all the impressions I've been hearing from here and others that I should of got it for $299 when it was on sale.

The question is GAF, is this worth it as a computer monitor for 400 or is there anywhere that still does the 300 price? Based on those who have had to do returns I am iffy on doing Ebay or anyplace without a return policy.

Mzo

hasnt this been debunked as fake? i have read many revxiews and impressions, nobody complained about input lag
If by "debunked" you mean people that own the TV have posted that they don't feel any input lag, then no. Those people are just idiots.

To be fair, input lag only really becomes a problem in a small handful of current games. I have a ~40 ms HDTV and I don't feel it unless I'm playing Street Fighter or a music and rhythm game. It's still lagged to shit, even if I can play something like Uncharted without really noticing.

You'll also have problems with older systems and games because of upscaling. I can't dodge lightning reliably in FFX on my HDTV, for example.

It's disappointing that most television manufacturers aren't even trying to solve the issue (it only gets worse as more and more post-processing options are added) but especially so that it's an issue for Sony's GAMING display.

noodalls

hasnt this been debunked as fake? i have read many revxiews and impressions, nobody complained about input lag

If "debunked as fake" means me correcting a bunch of people misquoting me, then maybe.

Lots of reviews have made various suggestions about input lag, so far as I can see I'm the only one who has tried to quantify it. I'd love to do an SMTT 2.0 test or similar (and have gone as far as to buy that program, as well as an HDMI to component cable, which didn't work) but lack the equipment to do so. I'm as keen as anyone to know the answer to this, not because it will influence my buying decision (I've already bought the monitor) but because it might influence my buying another one.

I don't have any input delay problems. But I do notice some pretty noticeable ghosting on darker blues on blacks etc. I guess somebody said before that this is an MVA panel - so you have better picture quality at the cost of some ghosting.

Also, is there any function for the three modes?

3d Auto
3d Side by Side
3d top / bottom

Best Buy had a demo set up of this, and I was very surprised at how good the 2 player/non-split screen effect was. Not nearly as much lag, ghosting or blur as I was expecting. Too bad the set is so damn small.

cakefoo

I don't have any input delay problems. But I do notice some pretty noticeable ghosting on darker blues on blacks etc. I guess somebody said before that this is an MVA panel - so you have better picture quality at the cost of some ghosting.

Also, is there any function for the three modes?

3d Auto
3d Side by Side
3d top / bottom
Obviously, 3D is achieved by recording with two cameras and then sending one camera view to each eye.

The auto detect setting is for content that is officially 3D- it comes in a special "frame packed" container with 2 full resolution images (or in the case of most console games, 2 sub-HD images both upscaled to 720p or 1080p). The content contains a marker that is carried through supported HDMI cables and tells the TV it's 3D.

Side by Side and Top/Bottom means they are a good old 2D HD signal, with the two images squished into a single HD frame. As a standard 2D HD signal, they do not have a way to identify themselves as 3D, so you need to choose the format yourself. The TV then knows to split the image down the middle, stretches each half out to a widescreen aspect ratio, and overlays the double images as you'd expect. The advantage in my mind is that this allows machines that don't officially support 3D to still run 3D content, albeit at half the resolution you'd get from auto-detectable frame-packed 3D. For instance my PC does not claim to support 3D, but it does thanks to SBS and Top Bottom.

Obviously, 3D is achieved by recording with two cameras and then sending one camera view to each eye.

The auto detect setting is for content that is officially 3D- it comes in a special "frame packed" container with 2 full resolution images (or in the case of most console games, 2 sub-HD images both upscaled to 720p or 1080p). The content contains a marker that is carried through supported HDMI cables and tells the TV it's 3D.

Side by Side and Top/Bottom means they are a good old 2D HD signal, with the two images squished into a single HD frame. As a standard 2D HD signal, they do not have a way to identify themselves as 3D, so you need to choose the format yourself. The TV then knows to split the image down the middle, stretches each half out to a widescreen aspect

Cool. Thanks. Something I don't get though - is that the display image at Best Buy had three modes: 3D Off, 3D Auto, 3D packed. Mine has Auto, Side by Side, Top Bottom. Weird. Can anyone double check on what they have?

Roto13

The 3D is kind of unpleasant. I don't know why anyone would want to sacrifice so much brightness for depth. The first game I tried in 3D was Wipeout and it added too much input lag. The second game I played in 3D was Assassin's Creed: Revelations and the first part of the game is kind of dark anyway so it was basically unplayable. Also the glasses are super uncomfortable. Ugh.

It was cheap(on sale) and it works great as a gaming display with 3D off (and I really needed a new TV), so I'm going to keep it, but I doubt I'll use the 3D very much. And I use the 3D on my 3DS constantly.

Miyahon

My 3D display died today. Turned it on the the blue light, then it turns green with nothing showing on the screen and then it turns off with the red light blinking.

I looked online and it seems other people are experiencing the same issue too. When it was working I also had an issue where the display would turn black for a few seconds then turn back to whatever is showing.

It seems that issues is also happening to other people.

I contacted Amazon and they will refund my money since it's defective.

I got it for $499.99 when it was released and now Bestbuy has it for $299.99. I'm not sure whether to get it again or just buy a regular TV without 3D and wait until they solve some of the issues I had. The display still suffers from heavy cross-talk and you have to crank the brightness way up inside the game and menu to be able to see anything on certain dark games.

Top Bottom