• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Transformers: The Movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I can kind of deal with the long nose semi as Prime.

But, if they don't cast Cullen as Prime and Welker as Megatron; I don't think I'll ever see the movie.

They've been those voices for over 22 years, they can't put George Clooney and someone else in the parts.

Sapiens

xsarien said:
Yeah, right.

Anyway, Cullen and Welker haven't done Prime and Megatron respectively since G1 ended.

Someone needs to explain this to me:

What episodes are G1? What are G2?

As a casual observer of the trans-phenomenon, I've never quite understood the "generation" boundaries.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Sapienshomo said:
Someone needs to explain this to me:

What episodes are G1? What are G2?

As a casual observer of the trans-phenomenon, I've never quite understood the "generation" boundaries.

G1 is the cartoon that ran from 1984 through 1986(ish). The G2 cartoon was the exact same cartoon with CG "cyber cube" transitions. There was a seperate, G2, 12-issue comic book run with its own, unique story.

Then the cartoons died for a good, long while and were finally resurrected with Beast Wars.

Desperado

Chalk was great in BW, but has since done voice work in every freaking cartoon known to man. :/

As for Kaye, he hasn't been all that hot since his brilliant work in BW either.

Sapiens

xsarien said:
G1 is the cartoon that ran from 1984 through 1986(ish). The G2 cartoon was the exact same cartoon with CG "cyber cube" transitions. There was a seperate, G2, 12-issue comic book run with its own, unique story.

Then the cartoons died for a good, long while and were finally resurrected with Beast Wars.

really? I remeber the cube episodes (they really only had 10 of them, played over and over and out of order) - what was the point of that shit?

Beast-Wars was great, BTW - much better writing than the original toon

xsarien

daedsiluap
Sapienshomo said:
really? I remeber the cube episodes (they really only had 10 of them, played over and over and out of order) - what was the point of that shit?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Milk&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

(Kidding aside - and its been a very long while since I even cared - I believe that a true G2 cartoon was actually commissioned by Hasbro, but it turned out so poorly that re-packaging G1 was the only feasible option. But that's just rumor/speculation.)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Gary Chalk would be the best voice actor Prime if Cullen somehow would not be able to do it. Chalk did his best imitation G1 Prime voice when he was holding Prime's spark in Beast Wars Season 3. Plus Gary Chalk's voice as Optimus Primal/Optimal Optimus fit pretty well IMHO.

xsarien said:
Yeah, right.

Anyway, Cullen and Welker haven't done Prime and Megatron respectively since G1 ended.
You forget that Frank Welker did his original Megatron voice for Botcon 97 when he couldn't make it to all the fans waiting outside before the convention started :p

ManaByte

Gold Member
Defensor said:
Gary Chalk would be the best voice actor Prime if Cullen somehow would not be able to do it. Chalk did his best imitation G1 Prime voice when he was holding Prime's spark in Beast Wars Season 3. Plus Gary Chalk's voice as Optimus Primal/Optimal Optimus fit pretty well IMHO.

Cullen wants to, and can, do it. The suits paying the bills want George Clooney though.

Ristamar

Cullen's and Welker's voices defined G1. Fans want them in the movie, and the most of those who don't know or know very little about Transformers won't give a flying **** if some big name actor is voicing a giant robot. I don't see the sense in not casting them.

jett

D-Member
ManaByte said:
I can kind of deal with the long nose semi as Prime.

But, if they don't cast Cullen as Prime and Welker as Megatron; I don't think I'll ever see the movie.

They've been those voices for over 22 years, they can't put George Clooney and someone else in the parts.

Oh shut the hell up already.

Willco

Hollywood Square
xsarien said:
With few exceptions, yes. Personally, my favorite was the 2001 incarnation as a fire truck.

So then what's the big ****ing deal? He was a truck in the leaked photo too.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Willco said:

BECAUSE IF HE'S NOT A RED, FLAT-NOSED TRUCK THAN ZOMG MICHAEL BAY KILLED MY KITTEN AND MY FUTURE CHILDREN AND HAD WILD MONKEY SEX WITH MY SISTER!

AND THAT'S BAD BECAUSE BEAST WARS SUCKED!

As long as a get to see a car go **CHEE KOO KOO CHEE KOO CHEE** and turn into a bigass ****ing robot and wreck shit up, this movie will rock. All you toolbags getting all butthurt over tiny little details need to STFU. The Scooter has spoken.

Boogie

The Optimus and Megatron Beast Wars voice actors were great. They'd be acceptable to me as much as the originals.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Boogie said:
The Optimus and Megatron Beast Wars voice actors were great. They'd be acceptable to me as much as the originals.

I'd actually prefer them. David Kaye's Megatron is brilliant.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Willco said:

THIS is Optimus Prime:
transformervancomiccon2005mq4.jpg

They had a perfect flat-nosed red semi at Comic Con last year for Prime.

Flash forward a year, and Michael Bay gets retarded:
realoptimustruckgp0.jpg

Again...

PERFECT:

RETARDED:
realoptimustruckgp0.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
xsarien said:
I'd actually prefer them. David Kaye's Megatron is brilliant.

Agreed on Kaye, but Cullen is Prime. Gary Chalk does a serviceable substitute job in the modern cartoons, but Cullen's voice is unique. Even if no other original voices return, Cullen should be Prime.

xsarien

daedsiluap
ManaByte said:
THIS is Optimus Prime:

They had a perfect flat-nosed red semi at Comic Con last year for Prime.

Flash forward a year, and Michael Bay gets retarded:
realoptimustruckgp0.jpg

Again...

PERFECT:

RETARDED:
realoptimustruckgp0.jpg

...Nah. Too easy.

The change for the movie has been explained, and the change is actually the more dominant form he's taken in the toyline over the years. Get it through your head that designs that are outright slavish to the original G1 media can sometimes be a bad thing.

You know that Bumblebee isnt' a VW, right?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
xsarien said:
The change for the movie has been explained, and the change is actually the more dominant form he's taken in the toyline over the years. Get it through your head that designs that are outright slavish to the original G1 media can sometimes be a bad thing.

Not in this case. Get it through your head that nobody ****ing knows anything but G1 except supernerd fans. Red flatnose truck G1 Prime is iconic. The millions of people who see the Transformers movie publicity and think "Oh yeah, I remember that, with the cars and robots and stuff," will picture Optimus. Of all the TFs in the film, Prime is the one who should remain as identical as possible to the G1 version. **** with Bumblebee and the others as much as you like, but people will be looking for Prime, because he's what the casual viewers remember from the old show.

Without a recognizable Optimus Prime, the movie will look like it's populated by random new robots, and will lose the interest of the considerably larger non-fan audience who merely remember a red truck that turned into a window-chested robot who sounded like John Wayne. Changing him is a horrible, horrible decision and makes zero sense. The "flatnoses are too small" thing is bullshit, too. It's a movie, and of all people in Hollywood, Michael goddamn Bay shouldn't need to be told that things in movies don't have to conform to reality. If real flatnose trucks are too small...build a bigger one.

TheWolf

Banned
Willco said:

IT'S NOT THE RIGHT MODEL/YEAR/COLOR MAN

i'm glad i wasn't around GAF when the X-Men costumes were revealed.

xsarien

daedsiluap
MattKeil said:
Not in this case. Get it through your head that nobody ****ing knows anything but G1 except supernerd fans. Red flatnose truck G1 Prime is iconic. The millions of people who see the Transformers movie publicity and think "Oh yeah, I remember that, with the cars and robots and stuff," will picture Optimus. Of all the TFs in the film, Prime is the one who should remain as identical as possible to the G1 version. **** with Bumblebee and the others as much as you like, but people will be looking for Prime, because he's what the casual viewers remember from the old show.

Without a recognizable Optimus Prime, the movie will look like it's populated by random new robots, and will lose the interest of the considerably larger non-fan audience who merely remember a red truck that turned into a window-chested robot who sounded like John Wayne. Changing him is a horrible, horrible decision and makes zero sense. The "flatnoses are too small" thing is bullshit, too. It's a movie, and of all people in Hollywood, Michael goddamn Bay shouldn't need to be told that things in movies don't have to conform to reality. If real flatnose trucks are too small...build a bigger one.

Drama much?

It can equally be argued that only the most dedicated, Can't-Get-Out-Of-The-80s G1 fanboys would declare a movie "ruined" by the type of truck Prime turns out to be.

Keep in mind, please, that the Transformers brand is still actively marketed today. Don't be surprised to see kids in the theater who know nothing about G1 except for what their father may have on DVD somewhere. The more we find out about this movie, the more I come to terms with the fact that it may not be relying on G1 for anything more than the origin story.

ManaByte

Gold Member
xsarien said:
...Nah. Too easy.

You know that Bumblebee isnt' a VW, right?

DOMINANT FORM? He was a black long-nosed semi TWICE in the shitty Transformers Armada and Transformers G2 "Laser Rod" versions. He is a pickup truck in Alternators, but that doesn't count as a semi.

Dominant form? :lol :lol :lol :lol

G1:
r_optimusprime_1424.jpg

Super God Masterforce:
r_optimusprime002.jpg

G2:
r_optimusprime006.jpg

Machine Wars:
r_optimusprime002.jpg

Robots in Disguise (the firetruck):
r_optimusprime007.jpg

Transformers Energon:
r_stdconvoy005.jpg

Transformers Cybertron:
r_optimusprime036.jpg

And the shitty long-nosed NON-DOMINANT forms...

Transformers Armada:
r_stdoptimusprime003.jpg

G2 "Laser Rod" Prime:
r_laserrodoptimusprime005.jpg

I fail to see how two toys out of seven lines make it the dominant form of Optimus Prime.

Can we at least wait to see what he looks like transformed? Or some, I dunno, actual pictures from the film?

What am I saying -- of course not. :lol

xsarien

daedsiluap
ManaByte said:
DOMINANT FORM? He was a black long-nosed semi TWICE in the shitty Transformers Armada and Transformers G2 "Laser Rod" versions. He is a pickup truck in Alternators, but that doesn't count as a semi.

Dominant form? [images snipped]

You forgot Go-Bot Prime (sports car) and War Within Prime (truck-ish...thing.) Also, Cybertron Prime is arguably more fantasy than reality, and RiD isn't a semi PERIOD, just like Alt. Prime.

Also, note how Energon Prime is more white than red, and how LR Prime bears a striking resemblance to a certain picture floating around the Internets.

Desperado

Damnit guys, I had blocked Energon Prime from my memory. =|

Anyway...I think flames should be reserved for Rodimus-type characters, but we'll see.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
xsarien said:
Drama much?

Get over yourself.

It can equally be argued that only the most dedicated, Can't-Get-Out-Of-The-80s G1 fanboys would declare a movie "ruined" by the type of truck Prime turns out to be.

Show me where I said that, because I wouldn't say something as stupid as that. My point that you so laboriously managed to avoid comprehending was that if you're going to use a recognized brand for your multi-million dollar project, it would probably behoove you to actually take advantage of the recognizable aspects of that brand. It's like licensing He-Man but deciding to use the ridiculous "He-Man in SPAAAAAACE!" version of the character.

Keep in mind, please, that the Transformers brand is still actively marketed today. Don't be surprised to see kids in the theater who know nothing about G1 except for what their father may have on DVD somewhere. The more we find out about this movie, the more I come to terms with the fact that it may not be relying on G1 for anything more than the origin story.

Yeah, you don't need to tell me shit about the Transformers, dude. But I know damn well that the moviegoing audience they're after with a hard PG-13 film is teenagers and twentysomethings who remember the original show and couldn't give two shits about what happened after Optimus Prime died and those lameass future cars showed up and ruined the TV show.

Changing Prime on this level is a mistake. I can understand making the face shield retractable, since that allows the character to emote better (and allows for a big "Prime's going to kick some ass now" scene where he puts it up before the big climax), but altering his appearance this drastically just doesn't make sense. There's no possible justification for it unless the makers of the film really think that Autobot logo is going to be enough to jog people's memories about a 20 year old toyline that hasn't been part of the culture since the first movie bombed.

xsarien

daedsiluap
MattKeil said:
Get over yourself.

Show me where I said that, because I wouldn't say something as stupid as that. My point that you so laboriously managed to avoid comprehending was that if you're going to use a recognized brand for your multi-million dollar project, it would probably behoove you to actually take advantage of the recognizable aspects of that brand. It's like licensing He-Man but deciding to use the ridiculous "He-Man in SPAAAAAACE!" version of the character.

Like transforming robots? If the greatest criticism leveled at this movie is "BUT PRIME WASN'T RED AND A FLAT-NOSE TRUCK," then consider the movie a relative success. Which, by the way, is much more than can ever be said about the original.

Yeah, you don't need to tell me shit about the Transformers, dude. But I know damn well that the moviegoing audience they're after with a hard PG-13 film is teenagers and twentysomethings who remember the original show and couldn't give two shits about what happened after Optimus Prime died and those lameass future cars showed up and ruined the TV show.

Heh. Even someone who's 19 today has a better chance of having Beast Wars as their childhood Transformer memories than G1.

Changing Prime on this level is a mistake.

You really don't have proof of that beyond assuming that your opinion is shared by every person who is going to see this movie.

There's no possible justification for it unless the makers of the film really think that Autobot logo is going to be enough to jog people's memories about a 20 year old toyline that hasn't been part of the culture since the first movie bombed.

The official line is that they need him to be this type of truck so the height scaling works out. If the movie's done right, his vehicle mode won't make a lick of difference.

aparisi2274

Thanks to DMczaf for this Great Transformers info:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=760

The voice of Optimus Prime will sound familiar to you. We've just learned from our buddy Mike that the original voice of Optimus Prime from the cartoon series will reprise his vocal duties for the upcoming Transformers Movie! That's right, Peter Cullen will voice the Optimus Prime character!

and for the final confirmation:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23937

Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...
... Peter Cullen.
Yep. You can all relax. Paramount made it official a few moments ago during their presentation panel, and by all accounts, there was much rejoicing.

And one last bit of confirmation thanks to Kreuzader

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/transformersmovie/001041498.cfm

During the Paramount panel at San Diego Comic Con, "Transformers" producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura announced that Peter Cullen—the original voice of Autobots leader Optimus Prime from the television cartoon—has joined the cast of the new film in the same role.

While Paramount and director Michael Bay didn’t want to show any early footage from the July 4, 2007 film, the news excited fans, who have been begging for Cullen to return as Optimus.

jett

D-Member
Meh, this Cullen guy means nothing to me, as I grew up watching Transformers in spanish. :p But uh, good for you american TF fans. :p

MrDaravon

Willco said:
ManaByte, do any of those toys transform into a girlfriend?

Ahahahahaha

I mean, I largely agree with ManaByte though. People who don't know shit about Transformers knows there's the red truck guy and the gray guy who can turn into a gun. I really don't think they should've ****ed with it, and what they showed last year would have been perfect. I'm pretty disappointed at the change, but it is what it is.

Ponn

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Thanks to DMczaf for this Great Transformers info:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=760

and for the final confirmation:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23937

And one last bit of confirmation thanks to Kreuzader

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/transformersmovie/001041498.cfm

OH.****.YES!!

My dream would be Peter Cullen and Frank Welker but Peter Cullen is the biggie. I don't know if I could have handled George Clooney's voice coming out of Optimus Prime. This is great. A great day for Transformers fans.

bumpkin

Ponn01 said:
OH.****.YES!!

My dream would be Peter Cullen and Frank Welker but Peter Cullen is the biggie. I don't know if I could have handled George Clooney's voice coming out of Optimus Prime. This is great. A great day for Transformers fans.
YEESSSSS! :D

My personal opinion is: The movie is going to be mega-wack. Period. It has a lot to live up to.

Though it being super-booty - in my opinion, the movie needs three things:

1. Prime, in his 1st Generation form. Optimus, was a father-figure - of sorts, to us children of the 80's. Any other shape or form, is just allowing a stranger to lure us with candy.

2. The original transforming sound-effect. If it lacks this, the movie is doomed - without question.

3. Key characters in the Transformer lore: Unicron, Constructicons (original green crew, not that yellow piece of shit), Omega Supreme, Starscream (in all his traitorous glory), Shockwave (still protecting Cybertron), Skyfire [Jetfire], Sideswipe and Sunstreaker [the brothers], Skywarp, Thundercracker.

- Unless noted, all characters must be Generation 1 versions.

Michael Bay has a lot to consider (or he already has, since filming since begun) and not taking any opinions of an 80's child, will surely doom the project from inception.

- Studs Ramrod

Solo

This is a new low in nerd-dom, GAF. I cannot believe the arguing is this thread, over something as ridiculously retarded as Transformers :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom