• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

Frodo

The list of improvements probably helped. Why would anyone hate on such an amazing game :D

This, and also people were not hating on the game, they were hating on the decision to port a 2 years old game and asking (almost) full price for it when you can buy it for $10 on other platforms, whilst other recently released games didn't make it for the Wii U.

I mean, the point of the game being ported still remains a mystery to me. But at least there are enough improvements to justify buying it.

Neiteio

As though Adam Jensen weren't already the most lovable stone-faced protagonist in the history of videogames, now we're going to get endearing Miiverse art of him.

I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS... But I'm glad it's happening.

Fence-sitters who didn't play it back in 2011 -- GET THIS GAME. One of my Top 5 from that year, if I recall correctly. Right up there with Portal 2, Catherine, Bulletstorm, etc.

The game world envelopes you in its warm futuristic bosom, rich in detail. Starts off slow but then sucks you in like a book without you even knowing it.

This, and also people were not hating on the game, they were hating on the decision to port a 2 years old game and asking (almost) full price for it when you can buy it for $10 on other platforms, whilst other recently released games didn't make it for the Wii U.

I mean, the point of the game being ported still remains a mystery to me. But at least there are enough improvements to justify buying it.

Yeah, I think if they can live up to the promises of these improvements, $40-$50 seems worth IMHO.

BlackJace

Maybe you're correct. If someone is hell bent on believing that their gaming tastes correspond with the vast majority of people that own the system and by saying 'I know about the differences and I would have bought one if I got what they got' means that it applies to everyone, then there's no convincing.

When Need for Speed does low numbers, and this does low numbers, the same tired drum will be beat. There's no satiable resolution with one "perfect" version good enough that will ever prove to you or others that the audience isn't there. You'll always have an out, an excuse, or a complaint. It's will always be too late, too expensive, too extra-less, too everything.

It's your own grave though, when you're waiting 3, 4 months to find a game to buy. Just remember that.

Are you trying to set up some self-fulfilling prophecy here? You yourself seem hell-bent on sitting on hyperbolic hypotheticals.

EDarkness

Maybe you're correct. If someone is hell bent on believing that their gaming tastes correspond with the vast majority of people that own the system and by saying 'I know about the differences and I would have bought one if I got what they got' means that it applies to everyone, then there's no convincing.

When Need for Speed does low numbers, and this does low numbers, the same tired drum will be beat. There's no satiable resolution with one "perfect" version good enough that will ever prove to you or others that the audience isn't there. You'll always have an out, an excuse, or a complaint. It's will always be too late, too expensive, too extra-less, too everything.

It's your own grave though, when you're waiting 3, 4 months to find a game to buy. Just remember that.

Dude, you still pushing this agenda? I'd like to know why Wii U owners should buy Mass Effect 3? Goodness of their hearts, maybe? Even this whole issue with Need for Speed is crazy. So they "upped the graphics" (which some people seem to have trouble seeing in the first place), but the very fact that Xbox users will be able to buy new cars and get a new area to drive around in is a negative against the game. Maybe you personally don't care, but that doesn't mean other people don't.

So many of these ports are screwed up in some way and really people want the same everyone else is getting at a time when it's relatively new, there isn't any magic going on here. If they can't get that, then they may (or may not buy).

In this case, the game is way late, been played by many people, is cheaper than this will be (most likely), and has to stand on the fact that maybe some of the additions they made may or may not be worth playing through the game again for those who have already played it. It's a gamble and just looking in this thread you can see some people care about the additions, and some don't. They have to see if they can convince folks to double dip or even jump in for the first time. It's their job as a company, and blaming the players for this is silly and not how business works. But considering how late ports sell in general, they're starting out behind the eight ball. Let's hope they can do well with it.

People buy games if they are the right value, for example Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. It's the company that has to tap into that. Not sure why you're trying to push this on the players, it's just not their responsibility to buy things...because.

sfried

Improved boss fights?! surely this version is getting released for PS3 too, I hope.
I'd rather them put it on PS4 :O

Dem trophies

Dat whore

Please quit with the port-begging already. Stuff has been overhauled to the point I think think you can just solve with patching. Also, most of the new features also include WiiU exclusive stuff like MiiVerse and integrated GamePad support (plus the whole ZombiU like scanning).
People buy games if they are the right value, for example Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. It's the company that has to tap into that. Not sure why you're trying to push this on the players, it's just not their responsibility to buy things...because.

I'll tell you right now; I dunno why this isn't the right value if you consider Resident Evil 4 for Wii as a standard, because this essentially does what that port did and much more (as in radically alter some of the mechanics of the game, and not just toss some GamePad gimmicks).

Neiteio

Wow, reading about all of the changes, it would seem insane to not bring this stuff to the PS3, 360 and PC versions. Sounds like they will, though, judging from that one dev getting squirmy when asked.

It's like a whole new game -- anti-aliasing, improved fog, shadows and lighting, overhauled AI, reworked boss levels and boss behavior, the ability to non-lethally defeat bosses, Valve-style commentary track icons, the DLC integrated into the main narrative, integrated strategy guide, etc.

I'll definitely get it on WiiU, though. It'll be my third time getting the game (first PS3, then on the cheap in a Steam sale), but I love all of the excuses they're giving us to molest the GamePad touchscreen. Seriously, that controller is divine. I like having all of the subsystems info consolidated in one place, too.

Oh, and while I don't give a fuck about achievements, it's mighty nice of them to include them in the WiiU version.

Please quit with the port-begging already. Stuff has been overhauled to the point I think think you can just solve with patching. Also, most of the new features also include WiiU exclusive stuff like MiiVerse and integrated GamePad support (plus the whole ZombiU like scanning).

Saying I'd rather them put it on PS4 then have some new PS3 title come out is port begging...

:-\

Ok then

pa22word

Meh as a wii u owner who's system has been collecting dust for the last 6 months or so: I'd rather play this on the PC with better controls, graphics, and framerate.

Will wait on solid information regarding what's going to happen as far as a PC release before I even consider this version of the game, tbqh.

BlackJace

Meh as a wii u owner who's system has been collecting dust for the last 6 months or so: I'd rather play this on the PC with better controls, graphics, and framerate.

Will wait on solid information regarding what's going to happen as far as a PC release before I even consider this version of the game, tbqh.

The wii u's been out for 6 months now? :p

The Hermit

The implication this may hit other platforms as well as the rather impressive developer effort gives me confidence the sequel may be announced sooner rather than later. Doubly so with the upcoming movie.

?!

I used to laugh at the possibility of Deus Ex on the WiiU but those "augmentations" are nice. WAY better than Batman.

When Need for Speed does low numbers, and this does low numbers, the same tired drum will be beat. There's no satiable resolution with one "perfect" version good enough that will ever prove to you or others that the audience isn't there. You'll always have an out, an excuse, or a complaint. It's your own grave though, when you're waiting 3, 4 months to find a game to buy.

Is it gonna be as tired as this drum? 'Cos its tired.

Who are you talking about and what are you trying to say? I think I kind of get it... but what is the point? How would you like people to respond?

"Oh yes, TheNatural, your market insights are TRULY the best! Your years of selling goods to 'soccer moms' have brought you great wisdom. Please, we beg of you, enlighten us more, oh great one!

How foolish we have been! How did we not realise that people are SO STUPID that they will willingly spend $50/60 without bothering to understand what they're paying it for?! Why did we ever think that people might shop around and read print magazines, or the Internet, or consider alternative products, or the opinions of their better informed friends and kids? Surely it was a collective, cognitive failure for any of us here to think that people would be swayed by more powerful marketing for more attractive products. Only NOW, thanks to YOU, do we see that some people are born to be blind automatons that hand over cash whenever they see Mario and whinge nonsensically about third party games they were never interested in!"

I'm not entirely sure anybody here cares about these hypothetical future-fanboy 'excuses' but you. You seem tortured, verily, by your own premonitions of them. Why does it bother you so?

EDarkness

I'll tell you right now; I dunno why this isn't the right value if you consider Resident Evil 4 for Wii as a standard, because this essentially does what that port did and much more (as in radically alter some of the mechanics of the game, and not just toss some GamePad gimmicks).

The additions they made mean different things to different people. To be honest, I couldn't care less about what they've added. I would however jump on this game day 1 for IR. Like I did for Resident Evil 4. Dual analog is just not a good reason for me to jump in. Ultimately we're still playing the game the same way we did before and I just don't care too much about that. However, maybe other people care about what they've done. So the question comes down to whether or not those changes they've made really resonate with the playerbase. So far, from what I've heard (anecdotally speaking), these changes don't seem to be enough to get people hyped and the fact that they're all squirmy about other versions of the game is just causing people to wait who would normally pull the trigger.

Who knows how it's going to turn out, but I wish them the best in any case.

Nemesis_

I really hope this sells. There's (relatively) a lot of effort being put into it and I really don't want it to bomb as a result. :(

DigitalOp

Banned
Wow, very neat addition list.

I must admit... I am warming up to the Wii U slightly but its definitely not the right time to jump in. Maybe Later. This will be one of the games I'll really try to sink into and enjoy the overall package. Really helps that I haven't played the original release and the game was still raved about then.

Im looking at RE:Revelations as well. Seems cool.

Im all fine with late ports if they turn out as these Next Gen pseudo-"HD remasters" you all talk about :p

Effect

How well these games do is completely on the publishers. Wii U owners are not obligated to buy games just because. No one should be buy anything with the hope that more support will come from it. That's complete BS to throw that at Wii U owners. People aren't made of money. Fuck that. That crap was pulled on the Wii and look how well that worked out. People should buy what interest them within their means. This is a damn hobby after all. Sometimes that interest can appear on it's own depending on the taste a person has. Otherwise it's up to the publishers to make people interested in their games in end as well.

Need for Speed will do poorly because of how it's been handled by EA. Just like how the other games have been handled poorly. This to will do poorly in the end unless Square Enix does not want it to do poorly. It's all on them. Just how NfS's fate is 100% on EA. Same with Monster Hunter/Capcom and Lego City/Nintendo (which will I will not be surprised to do poorly up front because Nintendo screwed up the shipping of the damn game).

pixlexic

Banned
I really hope this sells. There's (relatively) a lot of effort being put into it and I really don't want it to bomb as a result. :(

It's going to be a hard sell since its a game with cult following which means those guys already got it on another platform.

Apparently this will be playable on the show floor at PAX East.. so we should be able to get some impressions (hopefully of the updated boss fights in particular)

I personally would have preferred that effort being put into a unique third party experience for the first console of the new generation.

I don't think this game will be lighing up the sales charts.

I might pick it up.

Erethian

How well these games do is completely on the publishers. Wii U owners are not obligated to buy games just because. No one should be buy anything with the hope that more support will come from it. That's complete BS to throw that at Wii U owners. People aren't made of money. Fuck that. That crap was pulled on the Wii and look how well that worked out. People should buy what interest them within their means. This is a damn hobby after all. Sometimes that interest can appear on it's own depending on the taste a person has. Otherwise it's up to the publishers to make people interested in their games in end as well.

Need for Speed will do poorly because of how it's been handled by EA. Just like how the other games have been handled poorly. This to will do poorly in the end unless Square Enix does not want it to do poorly. It's all on them. Just how NfS's fate is 100% on EA. Same with Monster Hunter/Capcom and Lego City/Nintendo (which will I will not be surprised to do poorly up front because Nintendo screwed up the shipping of the damn game).

It's always been a classic Catch-22 situation. Publishers don't support Nintendo as enthusiastically as other platforms because they don't see much of an audience for their titles on the platform, but that just ensures that audience won't buy the hardware. You could substitute that argument for certain genres on certain platforms as well. Like the Xbox and modern FPS titles, though Sony made up some ground on that this generation purely because porting was a financial necessity.

That's why the support for 3DS, especially in Japan, is completely different. If you buy a Nintendo handheld over there you know for sure that you're going to get strong third-party "core" title support for the system. And then Nintendo was able to signal that even more with the MH announcement.

Neiteio

PREACH IT.

oprah+moved.gif%5D

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm not entirely sure anybody here cares about these hypothetical future-fanboy 'excuses' but you. You seem tortured, verily, by your own premonitions of them. Why does it bother you so?

You quoted and responded to me buddy, not vice versa. I've said my peace, I'm not the one here with a need to claim my gaming tastes account for a multitude of people, and why if I didn't buy something, that applies to every other person.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

As far as I can tell, every single Wii U game is gonna flop because they only ship like 10 copies to retailers. Seriously, I was gonna buy so many games today if only I could have found them in stores.

EDarkness

It's always been a classic Catch-22 situation. Publishers don't support Nintendo as enthusiastically as other platforms because they don't see much of an audience for their titles on the platform, but that just ensures that audience won't buy the hardware. You could substitute that argument for certain genres on certain platforms as well. Like the Xbox and modern FPS titles, though Sony made up some ground on that this generation purely because porting was a financial necessity.

That's why the support for 3DS, especially in Japan, is completely different. If you buy a Nintendo handheld over there you know for sure that you're going to get strong third-party "core" title support for the system. And then Nintendo was able to signal that even more with the MH announcement.

This is true, but that responsibility falls in the lap of third party developers. If they make a crappy game (port), then THEY made the crappy game. It wasn't us that made it and we shouldn't feel bad for not buying it. In this Catch-22 situation, it's the publishers/developers that have to make the change, not the customer. We should put our money where we want without expectation. If the publishers/developers don't want to give us a good experience on par with everyone else, then that's on them. Making us feel guilty about it is definitely not the answer.

Otherwise it's up to the publishers to make people interested in their games in end as well.

I agree that it's on them, but Nintendo can help (with marketing etc) and they can help by improving their userbase.

At the moment -- and for the forseeable future -- its almost impossible to do anything BUT disappointing numbers with a userbase this small. If I were making a Wii U game myself, I'd be limiting my print runs and investing cautiously for the future. By that I mean, investing for the benefit of future games in the series, or investing with an eye on selling my product over the longer term, through digital promotions, or porting to other systems and such... I think if some publishers are thinking that way, it would more than explain some of the port work. They're not massive AAA investments being wasted on a small userbase; they're already completed titles being given new polish and sent out to an audience that may or may not have already played them. If a game like ZombiU were to get ported like Rayman did, it would only be to recoup costs that would otherwise be loss-making on such a small userbase. The same rationale (from cautious publishers) might see us get a few cross-gen ports on 720/PS4 too. In fact, I think it will. There is still far too much money to be made on the existing platforms.

I think publishers who would like to see Wii U succeed are probably looking to Nintendo now for announcements, and an insight on how that userbase can ever be expected to grow. Until they get that, they'll continue to be cautious. Its easy to see how they could be helping move the system and sell better games themselves, but thinking on all the studio closures over the last 6 years due to risky mistakes, its hard to completely blame them...

I agree that it's on them, but Nintendo can help (with marketing etc) and they can help by improving their userbase.

At the moment -- and for the forseeable future -- its almost impossible to do anything BUT disappointing numbers with a userbase this small. If I were making a Wii U game myself, I'd be limiting my print runs and investing cautiously for the future. By that I mean, investing for the benefit of future games in the series, or investing with an eye on selling my product over the longer term, through digital promotions, or porting to other systems and such... I think if some publishers are thinking that way, it would more than explain some of the port work. They're not massive AAA investments being wasted on a small userbase; they're already completed titles being given new polish and sent out to an audience that may or may not have already played them. If a game like ZombiU were to get ported like Rayman did, it would only be to recoup costs that would otherwise be loss-making on such a small userbase. The same rationale (from cautious publishers) might see us get a few cross-gen ports on 720/PS4 too. In fact, I think it will. There is still far too much money to be made on the existing platforms.

I think publishers who would like to see Wii U succeed are probably looking to Nintendo now for announcements, and an insight on how that userbase can ever be expected to grow. Until they get that, they'll continue to be cautious. Its easy to see how they could be helping move the system and sell better games themselves, but thinking on all the studio closures over the last 6 years due to risky mistakes, its hard to completely blame them...

It's no different than any new console...a small fanbase can only grow if there's compelling content to warrant the growth.

evangd007

I think the sweet spot for this game is $40. That's reasonable and seems to be standard for enhanced re-releases. And by standard I mean that's what Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge for PS3 and Xbox360 is.

It's no different than any new console...a small fanbase can only grow if there's compelling content to warrant the growth.

This is the truth. It's not as if all consoles launch with an automatic 15 million install base. Compelling software sells consoles, and you have to try with the content you create. I don't get why it's so hard for third parties to comprehend.

I hate to jump on the whole "Maybe they just don't want to create content for the WiiU" bandwagon, but... It's starting to seem like the only reason people are trying at this point is because they still want to develop for the 3DS.

Sallokin

Will definitely triple dip. That list of improvements is definitely enough for me. I sincerely hope the port itself is up to snuff.

Hiltz

I was somewhat interested in playing Deux Ex but have never played a title in the series before. What exactly is the genre ? Are there any other franchises/original IPs that it can be compared to ?

TheNatural

My Member!
This is the truth. It's not as if all consoles launch with an automatic 15 million install base. Compelling software sells consoles, and you have to try with the content you create. I don't get why it's so hard for third parties to comprehend.

I hate to jump on the whole "Maybe they just don't want to create content for the WiiU" bandwagon, but... It's starting to seem like the only reason people are trying at this point is because they still want to develop for the 3DS.

Because it's not third parties job to sell hardware for Nintendo. It's Nintendo's job to allure them to the system.

The variety of framerate problems and whatever else at launch didn't just happen, just because they decided to fuck over Nintendo. They happened because Nintendo went with an underpowered processor that they had to jump more hoops to get performance out of, and were shitty with their own development kits. Hell, they couldn't even get the features they advertised into the console out of the box, they had to do a day one update, and the system still had hard lock problems.

Third parties have done fine on Microsoft/Sony/PC and for the most part made smooth transfers across each. Bad shit doesn't happen just because, it happens because if they're dealt a bad hand from Nintendo they have to deal with it.

I was somewhat interested in playing Deux Ex but have never played a title in the series before. What exactly is the genre ? Are there any other franchises/original IPs that it can be compared to ?

It's a first person RPG... ish game. Conspiracy and sci-fi driven plot.

It can sort of be compared to Thief and Dishonored. The main plot progression is mostly linear, with the player being dropped into new areas from a hub after accepting a mission, and they're given multiple ways to complete the objective. Hack computers, use stealth, persuade NPCs, find alternate routes hidden in the level, go Rambo and blow up everything, whatever. A lot of impact on choice, exploration, and experimentation. Human Revolution is more stealth-focused than the first game (we don't talk about the second one), but it still allows you a wide variety of options.

kiri

Great list of improvements. I couldn't catch it the first time around, so I'll certainly be buying a copy! (unless it isn't released in Japan......)

You quoted and responded to me buddy, not vice versa. I've said my peace, I'm not the one here with a need to claim my gaming tastes account for a multitude of people, and why if I didn't buy something, that applies to every other person.

Based on your activity here so far, I doubt you have said your piece.

My saying you are the only one who cares about hypothetical future-fanboy-excuses does not preclude me from responding to what I think is quite a contentious viewpoint.

You've spent the last few pages, long before I arrived in the thread, trying to tell people that they are an irrelevant minority and that how they feel about certain titles is either irrelevant or wrong. You've spent it trying to force your own market view on people, holding very little regard for theirs -- claiming incessantly that any blame for the poor reception of some titles must lie wholly with the market audience rather than the products themselves; that most people aren't aware of the minutae of what they're buying. Your entire argument is predicated around people outside of neogaf being seemingly ignorant and simplistic in terms of how they spend their money. That just seems a little prejudicial to me.

The Mass Effect 3 discussion is a perfect example: you seem to think that if the "audience was there", that they would have embraced that port better. But there existed cheaper alternatives. Ones that encompassed the whole trilogy, on platforms with higher userbases, and with audiences that would be more likely to be pre-acquainted with the branding and the franchise. Releases do not exist in a vacuum. Four months into Wii U's life, you seem to think that consumer reception to such crap value proposals can act as some kind of bellwether; a barometer for taste. I plainly disagree.

None of this addresses my other query, which is what on earth you hoped to illicit or achieve by saying this stuff. I have no problem with you holding these views, I'm just not sure what sharing them with such conviction achieves. I personally don't see what people might say about this games' sales in the future as particularly important, but you seemed positively offended that the people-of-tomorrow might not buy in to your particular market analysis - which of course, you are already forming today. I'd really rather we were all talking about the game than entering into a sea of hypotheticals about its inevitable failure. Because it sounds quite good.

EDarkness

Because it's not third parties job to sell hardware for Nintendo. It's Nintendo's job to allure them to the system.

The variety of framerate problems and whatever else at launch didn't just happen, just because they decided to fuck over Nintendo. They happened because Nintendo went with an underpowered processor that they had to jump more hoops to get performance out of, and were shitty with their own development kits. Hell, they couldn't even get the features they advertised into the console out of the box, they had to do a day one update, and the system still had hard lock problems.

Third parties have done fine on Microsoft/Sony/PC and for the most part made smooth transfers across each. Bad shit doesn't happen just because, it happens because if they're dealt a bad hand from Nintendo they have to deal with it.

Dude, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with hardware. Nothing. If those guys wanted to make a better port they could have, plain and simple. Considering other guys were able to, what does that say about the developer? Nintendo did not make the game. Third parties need to own up for what they do, because it's their name on the box and they are responsible for programming and decisions made as to what goes into the game. This has nothing to do with us or Nintendo. They can make excuses all they want, though.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dude, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with hardware. Nothing. If those guys wanted to make a better port they could have, plain and simple. Considering other guys were able to, what does that say about the developer? Nintendo did not make the game. Third parties need to own up for what they do, because it's their name on the box and they are responsible for programming and decisions made as to what goes into the game. This has nothing to do with us or Nintendo. They can make excuses all they want, though.

Yeah it has nothing to with the hardware. They just have no problems with other platforms, and just decided to on Nintendo's system, just because. You know, the same system that couldn't even launch with the features it advertised in the box, and had hard locks. That's the kind of preparation and type of tools they're working with.

And this is why there's a perpetual discussion about the Wii U's power versus the 360/PS3. We're talking about SEVEN YEARS difference in technology, why should this even be muddy water? If Nintendo released a CLEAR upgrade over 360, there would be zero problems with porting games over. NONE. It didn't have to have 8GB of DDR5 or anything, but when you cheap out on the hardware and it can't even be a clear upgrade over old hardware, this is the result.

Keep with the persecution complex though, it fits you well.

In Actually Talking About Deus Ex Land, I'm going to disagree with Derrick and say that two energy bars refilling is fine. It might make it easier, but it also allows a lot more versatility and lot less looking for candy bars in drawers.

EDarkness

Yeah it has nothing to with the hardware. They just have no problems with other platforms, and just decided to on Nintendo's system, just because. You know, the same system that couldn't even launch with the features it advertised in the box, and had hard locks. That's the kind of preparation and type of tools they're working with.

And this is why there's a perpetual discussion about the Wii U's power versus the 360/PS3. We're talking about SEVEN YEARS difference in technology, why should this even be muddy water? If Nintendo released a CLEAR upgrade over 360, there would be zero problems with porting games over. NONE. It didn't have to have 8GB of DDR5 or anything, but when you cheap out on the hardware and it can't even be a clear upgrade over old hardware, this is the result.

Keep with the persecution complex though, it fits you well.

Heh, heh. I'm working on my own project right now. I'll have to remember to blame everyone else but myself if it doesn't turn out well. Maybe it's the hardware's fault. Yeah, I should blame Nintendo for that. When I'm converting it over to another platform I should just throw the game on that platform without worry, because if it doesn't work I can simply blame the hardware manufacturer for my shortcomings.

Heh, if the developer didn't think it would work, or didn't want to put the time in, then that's on them. I don't see how you can put that on the hardware. Hell, maybe we should blame Sony for the way Skyrim turned out on the PS3, too. After all, they made the hardware to begin with...

Shaanyboi

Banned
In Actually Talking About Deus Ex Land, I'm going to disagree with Derrick and say that two energy bars refilling is fine. It might make it easier, but it also allows a lot more versatility and lot less looking for candy bars in drawers.

Jensen needs his candy bars

Top Bottom