• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

Korigama

At a guess, I would assume that your pre-existing Augs just come back online after you get your stuff back early on.
Possible, but this would present an issue for keeping the Factory Zero achievement in the game. Based on the description, it sounds like it just refunds all of the Praxis points spent up until that point and waits for the player to reassign them as they see fit.

EDarkness

Even if it's not included, I'd be interested to hear the answer to the pointer control question. While I feel like the answer would probably go something like, "we wanted to focus on creating a unique experience for the Wii U's GamePad," that seems a little counterintuitive given that the game obviously worked just fine on PC/360/PS3. I wonder if revamping menus and such to use the GamePad will cause more devs to omit pointer controls; though it may be indicative of the port itself, Batman: Arkham City did not feature Pro Controller support, when the game obviously worked just fine on its previous platforms. Of course, Arkham City isn't really comparable to Human Revolution—especially with the latter coming later after launch—but I'd be interested to hear what the response to non-GamePad controls might be with different ports.

Well, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with IR and Wiipad working together. I can easily put the Wiipad on the stand in front of me for easy access and use the remote for moving around and such. I would buy this game in a heartbeat if this was done. Just give people options. This is why I picked up Black Ops 2 and would pick up the next CoD game as well. FPS games on the Wii U SHOULD have IR controls as part of the setup. Maybe I'll e-mail Straight Right about it.

hmmm so I'm think Pro Controller support is out, with how much they're putting into the gamepad controls?

There should be no reason for them to not allow the pro-controller option as well. I hope they consider these things. If they're going to be making Wii U games, there are tons of control options and while not all of them have to be recognized, there are a few that are liked by players. It's interesting even a game like Need for Speed supports all kinds of control options.

Exeunt

Well, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with IR and Wiipad working together. I can easily put the Wiipad on the stand in front of me for easy access and use the remote for moving around and such. I would buy this game in a heartbeat if this was done. Just give people options. This is why I picked up Black Ops 2 and would pick up the next CoD game as well. FPS games on the Wii U SHOULD have IR controls as part of the setup. Maybe I'll e-mail Straight Right about it.

The very existence of the stand suggests to me that Nintendo accounted for games that would use the Wii Remote in conjunction with the GamePad. Ever since Nintendo officially unveiled the GamePad, I wondered how the Wii Remote would factor into the new console; the GamePad has different strengths to be sure, but I would hate to see good Wii Remote controls fall by the wayside. I accept that the GamePad is the new default control scheme, and I think it can do many 'traditional' or complex gaming tasks better than the Wii Remote—but like you say, options are good. I hope that motion or pointer controls are not overlooked in terms of experiences that come to the Wii U, and it would certainly be nice if a certain precedent were set in the early days of the console in terms of making control options available.

I've been convinced in this thread that pointer controls are not absolutely necessary for this particular title—and I'm currently considering a purchase either way—but it would really be nice to see them made available in this title and others that (hopefully) come to the Wii U in the future.

th4tguy

I played this at PaxE today. The graphics look better than 360 and ps3 but primarily through higher res textures. I didn't explore too much with the new controls. Only thing that worries me, though the game isn't out yet, is the frame rate would drop noticeably as soon as I got in a fight and either I or enemies started shooting. This was in I closed areas, not the more open areas in the game.

Exeunt

I don't think you could comfortably map all the necessary buttons to a Wiimote/Nunchuk control scheme, could you?

EDarkness said earlier:

After playing it last night on the 360, IR is the way to go. At least as an option. Not like the game uses that many buttons, so IR and gamepad would be awesome as hell.

But I haven't played the game myself, so I can't offer an informed opinion. They could still keep menus and such on the GamePad (or probably even Wii Remote buttons, as opposed to a pointer interface), but I don't know about gameplay. If that's a possible deterrent, I haven't seen it come up that often (though admittedly I could have overlooked it).

I played this at PaxE today. The graphics look better than 360 and ps3 but primarily through higher res textures. I didn't explore too much with the new controls. Only thing that worries me, though the game isn't out yet, is the frame rate would drop noticeably as soon as I got in a fight and either I or enemies started shooting. This was in I closed areas, not the more open areas in the game.

That's a bit disappointing. Framerate hits seem to crop up again and again in Wii U ports, so I'm immediately skeptical that they'll all be smoothed out before release. You can at least avoid firefights if that's your playstyle in this game though, right?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ask them what their other Wii U game is! :p

Actually, I am sort of interested on how they decided on Deus Ex over others in the SE catalog. Did they just randomly pitch it? Was there some connection with the game and someone at Straight Right? Was someone at SE looking to port it to Wii U? It's sort of a random port.

What framerate is this game running at?

How will The Missing Link segment start within the main campaign (Is the opening cutscene of the segment modified to remove the "recap" and credits)? Will your augmentations carry over in some form or will you still lose them all? If it's the latter, will you be able to get it back?

Will all of the inventory/menu management on the bottom screen be in real-time? Will that mean you will be able to apply weapon modification and other menu-driven management without pausing?

Is there a way to tell if you have not yet killed anyone by accident (aside from the bosses) during non leathal-runs?

Will the game have Wii Remote and nunchuck/IR support?

Maybe you can try asking about their unofficially announced original IP for Wii U. Like if it is even planned for a 2013 release. That is, assuming it is still in development.

I'd love to hear about the "better" A.I., since I don't quite see how this is going to make any difference in this case.

Back in the days, just before the release of Mass Effect, they announced that they were working on one AAA port of a SE game for the Wii U (Deus-ex) and on a new original Wii U game.
Could you ask them if they confirm this new original development?

Ask about that damn new IP for Wii U they talked about. And if they're doing another port for Wii U.

EatChildren: Ask if you could if they are aware of the issues of releasing a late port, regardless of the effort, at near full price. Do they hold it against a system or it's owners if it does poorly?

I doubt if they'll outright answer but I am curious as to what their possible reaction to such a question would be. If they'd dismiss it or at least admit they're aware of the potential problem.

And last question for EatChildren:

Will you guys fix/alter those endings? Will they stay the same? They were somewhat unsatisfying in the original release.

It would be amazing if you could ask them if we can play with the Wii Remote and if not, why should people who mainly play FPS games on WiiU for the Wii Mote, care about this port?

Also it would be nice to know how they came up with the idea of the dev. commentary for this title. Was it a scrapped feature of the original release or was it introduced when the idea of a port came up? and if that's something that they plan on doing for any of their future titles (I love dev. commentary features)

I already own the game on Steam but would buy the Wii U version in an instant if it included Wii Remote and Nunchuck controls (with appropriate customisation options). Maybe you could drop Straight Right a hint?

EDIT: I see I'm not the only one to request the above. :)

Cheers for the questions. Couple of things:

- I'll ask about pointer controls, and if it's not in try to indicate people would dig that, and maybe see if they could patch 'em. But I won't get on their case about it.
- We now know how The Missing Link works, which is about as expected: lose augs, regain all augs, respec. Makes sense.
- I'll pry about their Wii U IP, but don't be surprised if they say nothing :p.
- They won't "fix" the endings. That prerogative would be on Eidos Montreal, and if they were doing that we'd know about it.

alf717

I have to say I am pretty interested not to be cheap but $59.99 is not my day one price. Great game on the PC. It will be neat to see what they do with the Wii U.

I need new games to play!!! Thanks Sqix

GulAtiCa

I have to say I am pretty interested not to be cheap but $59.99 is not my day one price.

You're in luck! It's $49.99 :p

---

Preview from IGN sounds good. I never played it originally, so I may pick it up. If I see any kind of deal for it or a sale I'll most likely get it for sure

Cheers for the questions. Couple of things:

- I'll ask about pointer controls, and if it's not in try to indicate people would dig that, and maybe see if they could patch 'em. But I won't get on their case about it.
- We now know how The Missing Link works, which is about as expected: lose augs, regain all augs, respec. Makes sense.
- I'll pry about their Wii U IP, but don't be surprised if they say nothing :p.
- They won't "fix" the endings. That prerogative would be on Eidos Montreal, and if they were doing that we'd know about it.

Great. It's probably better to just express that there really is interest in implementing IR controls. At the very least it just adds more value to an allready great package I'd say.

Fairly new Wii U owner here, but this all looks great. I would be interested in other current gen ports if they get this level of treatment. Bioshock would be awesome.

Foetoid

Neo Member
IR controls would basically confirm my double-dipage when I do get a Wii U.

They seem to be completely concentrating on the Wii U gamepad as the only control method from what i can gather. Those touch-controls really do look like they add quite a lot, and they reconfirmed the graphics are getting a touch-up.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They seem to be completely concentrating on the Wii U gamepad as the only control method from what i can gather. Those touch-controls really do look like they add quite a lot, and they reconfirmed the graphics are getting a touch-up.

Well yes, not to devalue the work they seem to have put into the touch controls, but I need more IR shooting in my life. It's the most fun control scheme I can think of.

Foetoid

Neo Member
Well yes, not to devalue the work they seem to have put into the touch controls, but I need more IR shooting in my life. It's the most fun control scheme I can think of.

I completely agree. Metroid Prime Trilogy, COD:WaW and especially Resident Evil 4 really showed that off nicely.

EDarkness

IR controls would basically confirm my double-dipage when I do get a Wii U.

Same here. IR is a day one purchase. I posted this on their Facebook page, so I hope they consider this seriously. There's no reason to not be able to get both the touch screen stuff for the map and IR controls for moving around at the same time. Would be a great experience for those who wanted to play that way. Dual analog would still be there for those who don't want to bother.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I completely agree. Metroid Prime Trilogy, COD:WaW and especially Resident Evil 4 really showed that off nicely.

I really need to find a copy of Trilogy, cheapest I can find is 50 euros, considering you get 3 games for that price it's okay I guess ;/

Neiteio

If you own a WiiU and haven't played this game -- you should be REALLY excited. One of the best games this gen, and it looks like they're adding tons of polish and great new features.

Foetoid

Neo Member

I really need to find a copy of Trilogy, cheapest I can find is 50 euros, considering you get 3 games for that price it's okay I guess ;/

Worth every euro. Get it now before its even rarer.

prag16

Banned
So this is supposed to launch in 12 days (according to original Amazon posting, and current Walmart posting) but still no "official" date??

Are they planning on quietly launching it May 7th with zero promotion, basically sending it out to die?? Or is that May 7th date wrong...

Top Bottom