• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

distant_sky_by_dinodrawing-d9b7pk7.png

alexey-egorov-impetuous-2.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No. It's just some art by Simon Stålenhag; he's one of my favorite artists. If you like Half-Life's art direction you'll love this guy.
I think the actual picture is supposed to be
some kind of teleporter that works on the duplication principle. As you can see it even, uh, gets rid of the original so there isn't more than one you.

ugh

This whole concept has always mortified and sickened me.

[Edit] ugh FUCK

ugh

This whole concept has always mortified and sickened me.

[Edit] ugh FUCK

So as I understand it, it duplicates you, but kills the original? The art doesn't seem to reflect that... unless the guy kept doing it? It's great art, but I'm not sure I get the concept. It's late.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Übermatik;182376704 said:
So as I understand it, it duplicates you, but kills the original? The art doesn't seem to reflect that... unless the guy kept doing it? It's great art, but I'm not sure I get the concept. It's late.

I didn't get it at first cause when the chambers are open it just looks like there's an electrical panel behind the door, not an actual open space you can get into. But from what it looks like, he's peering into the right chamber at first, the girl is waiting by the second chamber for him in the second one, in the third one his teleported clone has come out and he's like "whoa jeeze" and she's sitting with him, then in the last we see the chambers from the back, ejecting the burgered corpse of the original into a pit full of previous teleported victims.

I hate it I hate it I hate it

I didn't get it at first cause when the chambers are open it just looks like there's an electrical panel behind the door, not an actual open space you can get into. But from what it looks like, he's peering into the right chamber at first, the girl is waiting by the second chamber for him in the second one, in the third one his teleported clone has come out and he's like "whoa jeeze" and she's sitting with him, then in the last we see the chambers from the back, ejecting the burgered corpse of the original into a pit full of previous teleported victims.

I hate it I hate it I hate it

Ok, the process is a lot clearer now. I know the piece is kinda abstract in a way, but I don't understand the concept... Why clone yourself? Why does it kill your past body? And why do you hate it so much? :p

It's a little creepy, yeah, but I dunno... I till feel like I'm missing something. The art is great though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Übermatik;182500997 said:
Ok, the process is a lot clearer now. I know the piece is kinda abstract in a way, but I don't understand the concept... Why clone yourself? Why does it kill your past body? And why do you hate it so much? :p

It's a little creepy, yeah, but I dunno... I till feel like I'm missing something. The art is great though.

Well it's not that you're going into there trying to be cloned and killed! It's just the secret truth behind a certain kind of teleporter (or maybe all teleporters). In order to maintain continuity of consciousness you'd have to do some crazy quantum shit where you move a person through a worm hole and don't actually disassemble their atoms. But the other way to "teleport" someone would be to copy their blueprint, send that data to the receiving pod, build a new person from scratch that has no idea they aren't the original, and then secretly murder the original person. The clone thinks the teleportation worked, his friends, family, no one is the wiser.

Obviously this art is not a great example since there's a giant lake of blood behind them the should be able to see (or at least smell ugh), but it's the sinister and horrifying undercurrent behind a lot of teleporters in science fiction. There have been a lot of stories where something goes wrong and the original isn't killed, and now there's two of that person, and they have to deal with the horror of what almost happened, and sometimes people even chase them down to try and kill them to correct the "error."

And I hate it just because it's such an unsettling idea, that people could be teleporting around all la la but really you're just murdering huge scores of people. And in this art it's especially disturbing, not just because of the horrible visual of the corpse being ejected, but because you have the woman comforting the clone, neither of them aware of what happened. They were all just la la gonna try this out, but nope, the guy is dead, and the woman will never know.

It's like closing your eyes to go to sleep, and for all you know you're dying every single night, and the you that wakes up is technically a "new" you with all your memories. How would we even know! None of us have ever been alive for more than a day or two at a time!!! AaaaaA!!!!!!

Melchiah

http://www.top13.net/man-spent-25-years-carving-huge-caves-alone-with-his-dog/
Man Spent 25 Years Carving Huge Caves Alone With His Dog. When You Look Inside… Amazing!

For the past 25 years, Ra Paulette has been carving out man-made caves from the sandstone mountains of New Mexico, subsequently sculpting these areas into magnificent artworks he refers to as wilderness shrines.

Having no one but his dog for company, Paulette made several designs and patterns for each cavern, providing each one with unique features and textures.
More images, and a video in the link.

s6XBLpx.jpg

TelEzwg.jpg

JJRVG22.jpg

Vyktal

Well it's not that you're going into there trying to be cloned and killed! It's just the secret truth behind a certain kind of teleporter (or maybe all teleporters). In order to maintain continuity of consciousness you'd have to do some crazy quantum shit where you move a person through a worm hole and don't actually disassemble their atoms. But the other way to "teleport" someone would be to copy their blueprint, send that data to the receiving pod, build a new person from scratch that has no idea they aren't the original, and then secretly murder the original person. The clone thinks the teleportation worked, his friends, family, no one is the wiser.

Obviously this art is not a great example since there's a giant lake of blood behind them the should be able to see (or at least smell ugh), but it's the sinister and horrifying undercurrent behind a lot of teleporters in science fiction. There have been a lot of stories where something goes wrong and the original isn't killed, and now there's two of that person, and they have to deal with the horror of what almost happened, and sometimes people even chase them down to try and kill them to correct the "error."

And I hate it just because it's such an unsettling idea, that people could be teleporting around all la la but really you're just murdering huge scores of people. And in this art it's especially disturbing, not just because of the horrible visual of the corpse being ejected, but because you have the woman comforting the clone, neither of them aware of what happened. They were all just la la gonna try this out, but nope, the guy is dead, and the woman will never know.

It's like closing your eyes to go to sleep, and for all you know you're dying every single night, and the you that wakes up is technically a "new" you with all your memories. How would we even know! None of us have ever been alive for more than a day or two at a time!!! AaaaaA!!!!!!

Looking at the pictures, the woman is at least partially, if not completely aware of what happened. In the first picture the guy is inquisitive but doesn't look that keen to go in, however the woman is cheekily encouraging him with a smile and a friendly nudge. In the 2nd picture she is literally staring out across the lake of gore, and I think this is the first time she's seen the lake, and maybe the beginnings of her realisation start setting in. In the 3rd it looks to me like the guy is freaking out (he may not be aware of the lake) and she's trying to comfort him. Maybe he's just shaken from the "process". Maybe he's aware something is horribly off... In the final picture, as the couple are holding each other and walking away, the woman is looking over her shoulder at the lake and everything it represents.

"You're gonna carry that weight"

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Looking at the pictures, the woman is at least partially, if not completely aware of what happened. In the first picture the guy is inquisitive but doesn't look that keen to go in, however the woman is cheekily encouraging him with a smile and a friendly nudge. In the 2nd picture she is literally staring out across the lake of gore, and I think this is the first time she's seen the lake, and maybe the beginnings of her realisation start setting in. In the 3rd it looks to me like the guy is freaking out (he may not be aware of the lake) and she's trying to comfort him. Maybe he's just shaken from the "process". Maybe he's aware something is horribly off... In the final picture, as the couple are holding each other and walking away, the woman is looking over her shoulder at the lake and everything it represents.

"You're gonna carry that weight"

D: D: D:

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No. It's just some art by Simon Stålenhag; he's one of my favorite artists. If you like Half-Life's art direction you'll love this guy.
I think the actual picture is supposed to be
some kind of teleporter that works on the duplication principle. As you can see it even, uh, gets rid of the original so there isn't more than one you.
Are these all telling one interconnected story or do they only share a theme? It seems like they all depict a near future occupied by alien or robot forces. The humanoid robots are extremely haunting.

Are these all telling one interconnected story or do they only share a theme? It seems like they all depict a near future occupied by alien or robot forces. The humanoid robots are extremely haunting.

There is an overarching narrative but I'm not totally sure what it is. I think the backstory is that aliens visited Earth at some point in the past and messed everything up (I think they're gone now, though), and people reverse-engineered their tech.
The setting for all the pictures is some Nordic country, but I don't know which one. I think it is Sweden.

And the robots are great, I agree.

Melchiah

ywXCAjx.gif

EAQWIbj.jpg

XwHNY81.jpg

The Hindenburg flies past the Empire State Building over Manhattan on August 8, 1936.

Gu7Q2XC.jpg

Feeding the Giraffe at the zoo, circa 1950.

Top Bottom