• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spaceballs 2 posters spotted in NYC subway

Status
Not open for further replies.

explodet

This movie ruined me.
Every time I see a panning shot of a gigantic spaceship I always check to see if there's a "We Brake For Nobody" bumper sticker on the back.
Go back to the golf course and practice your putts.
Of course you know, I'll still have to bill you for this.

Spaceballs really hasn't aged very well.

Star Wars is an immortal capitalist zombie, so the SW jokes in Spaceballs will always be current. A lot of the other, more topical jokes have aged poorly, like the one with the Doublemint twins, but some are still relevant - Perri-air! But Mel Brooks' sense of humor is kind of old-timey and so that might throw some people a bit.

Star Wars will always be fertile ground for parody, and there's a lot more of it to parody now.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I saw the movie for the first time last year and didn't really like it all that much.

Hope it's true. One of my favorite parody films.

They better not skimp out on the MERCHANDISING MERCHANDISING MERCHANDISING!
I still want my Spaceballs: the flamethrower.

Karkador

Banned
That's not what posters in NYC subways look like at all. They're not taped to the wall like that, and the dimensions are wrong.

spekkeh

Banned
I really want this to happen. Spaceballs the merchandising was one of the best jokes, and to think that Disney bought the franchise in order to run it into the ground is too big an opportunity to lampoon to ignore.

not gonna lie, this movie needs to not happen and I love Mel Brooks. don't retroactively ruin jokes from your old movies Mel! c'mon man! this would be like if History of the World Pt. 2 existed. the whole point of those jokes is that the movies don't actually exist.

/debbie downer

Actually it does exist, at the end of Pt1 they spoof part 2 as "Jews in space" That's Spaceballs.

I saw the movie for the first time last year and didn't really like it all that much.

It's aged really badly.

This just helped to remind me never to take anybodies opinion on GAF very seriously. Also aged badly how? The effects? No shit, just like every other movie from the 80s (almost). The jokes are still on point.

Is it bad that Im kinda more excited for this than Episode 8?

tkscz

The jokes that aren't 80's references still work, which the majority of the jokes don't reference too much. The problem is if you've seen it, you know all the jokes and unless you still find them funny (I do) it won't have aged well for you. Differing opinions and all though. Either you like Mel's humor or you don't.

I'm surprised how the VHS joke still kind of works. If you replace VHS with steaming, it still works.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This just helped to remind me never to take anybodies opinion on GAF very seriously. Also aged badly how? The effects? No shit, just like every other movie from the 80s (almost). The jokes are still on point.

Is it bad that Im kinda more excited for this than Episode 8?

A lot of the humor seemed to revolve around low hanging fruit word puns around Star Wars concepts like the Schwartz. I just didn't think it was very clever and I really don't care about effects. I like a lot of other Brooks movies, but this one didn't do it for me. I never was the biggest Star Wars fan either, so there's that.

Most of the jokes are still relevant today, to say it has aged badly is false.

There are a few jokes here and there that some younger people may not get, Rocky 5000, Pizza send out etc but a lot of ones you'd think were an 80s thing still work today due to some brands not changing and certain things not dropping from general public knowledge.

Star Wars and Trek are still mega popular and mainstream so all the jokes related to those are still relevant and funny and those tend to be the bigger payoffs too. Are still penty of timeless jokes that will never age.

If you don't like the humour is one thing, but aged poorly? Nope.

No many people know this, but the merchandising joke had a double pay-off. In order to get George Lucas' company to do post production on the film, Lucas said they wasn't allowed to make any merchandise for the fim at all. So there was actually zero.

JeTmAn81

I've love a Spaceballs 2, this would be the perfect time for it if the prequels hadn't already come out. We should be on Spaceballs 3: Let's All Buy Private Islands by now.

phanphare

Banned
Most of the jokes are still relevant today, to say it has aged badly is false.

There are a few jokes here and there that some younger people may not get, Rocky 5000, Pizza send out etc but a lot of ones you'd think were an 80s thing still work today due to some brands not changing and certain things not dropping from general public knowledge.

Star Wars and Trek are still mega popular and mainstream so all the jokes related to those are still relevant and funny and those tend to be the bigger payoffs too. Are still penty of timeless jokes that will never age.

If you don't like the humour is one thing, but aged poorly? Nope.

you'd think with the new Rocky movie a few years ago and now Creed young people would get the Rocky 5000 joke

Sapiens

Star Wars - Go see it again, before you die, because you could die at any time - so you should keep seeing Star Wars///

Visceir

Heard an interview with Michael Winslow in a local radio station and he said that Spaceballs 2 is happening and that Mel Brooks is writing it right now.

Damn, on the one hand, i'd want this to happen, because i love Spaceballs. On the other, i'd rather not have this if Brooks can't match the first one.

Although i would love to be able to buy "Spaceballs 2: The Search for more Money" - The Teaser Poster for my hobby room!

Just had to look up Mel Brooks on Wikipedia, and he's voicing a character in Seth Rogens "Sausage Party"!

NR1

After seeing the Spaceballs Animated Show, I have zero interest in this. At least 3 of he primary actors are dead now too. Can't work. Maybe a prequel spoofing the prequel trilogy, but even then, that's not something I think people want.

Mel Brooks should stick to his guns on sequels-- never make them and tease them as a joke (History of the World Part 2--- Jews in Space!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom