• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 livestream - Walkthrough of Free Roam, Customization & More

Tainted

Game looks great, but I do not want to watch too much of that stream as it is a game I am pretty much buying day 1 and do not want too many things spoiled for me.

I'll be playing through Mafia 2 again before this drops, cannot wait

Nzyme32

Just wanted to let you know under options you can enable simulation style options for cars and combat.

My question is if this can also bring the AI for things like police, to an expected level, where they will actually go after you for running red lights etc

J_Viper

I'm very much liking what I see

I must say though, the stealth seems not only boring, but completely unnecessary.

Is anyone still thrilled by hiding behind waist high walls and choking dudes out in a canned animation?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Limited car damage, completely gotten rid of traffic rules (which admittedly was pretty much gone in Mafia 2 besides speed limits anyway) and even the "sim" setting for driving looks more arcady than GTA V. o_O
That really bums me out. The restrictions on speeding are what set the previous two apart from everything else.

Edit:
Just wanted to let you know under options you can enable simulation style options for cars and combat.
Hmmm maybe there's hope afterall.

My question is if this can also bring the AI for things like police, to an expected level, where they will actually go after you for running red lights etc

That I am not sure of.

Ign only mentioned sim like driving handling, reduced aim assist and tougher combat.

Raptor

I want to liek this game but the shooting didnt looked to hot the last gameplay I saw, can someone kind enough point me a video where I can see some raw shooting to get a feel of it?

psychotron

The framerate looks choppy as hell while driving. Hoping it's just my phone. The soundtrack is too good to be a bad performing game!

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
interested in seeing how the "racist" mechanic works. I'm going to every rich white neighbourhood to walk around just to piss people off

Levito

Banned
Game is seriously gorgeous, which version of the game is this? Xbox One or PC with gamepad?

Also, do the devs have a history of making good PC ports?

EDIT: They just said this is the PC version, cool

Game is seriously gorgeous, which version of the game is this? Xbox One or PC with gamepad?

Also, do the devs have a history of making good PC ports?

EDIT: They just said this is the PC version, cool
PC with a gamepad. And if I'm not mistaken,this is Hanger 13's first game.

I want to liek this game but the shooting didnt looked to hot the last gameplay I saw, can someone kind enough point me a video where I can see some raw shooting to get a feel of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0LHORhghFa8#t=5843

I think a big part of that section of the footage is 2K provided B-roll, and it gives a good idea of what the combat is. Looks swift and weighty to me, with some solid hit feedback and damn near Euphoria tier death reactions.

dreamfall

If this game matches Mafia 2 it will already be great.

I think with the way the open world has been created, it's already past it. The dense open world activities already make New Bordeaux so much more than just the back drop of Empire Bay. If the narrative works, it'll be one of the best open world games for me personally.

And if it matches Mafia 1 it will be incredible.

Now we're talking! Nothing comes close.

That combat side step/shuffle that Lincoln does after you come out of hard aiming looks really good. I don't think I've seen an animation like that in a shooter before.

Yeah, I love that animation too. It makes the combat feel really cinematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0LHORhghFa8#t=5843

I think a big part of that section of the footage is 2K provided B-roll, and it gives a good idea of what the combat is. Looks swift and weighty to me, with some solid hit feedback and damn near Euphoria tier death reactions.

In the first gameplay videos they released I was already impressed by the brutal animations but I know I saw some repeating ones. In the 2 hour video released today it boggled my mind when I saw him blasting dudes from shoulder to shoulder and they reacted to every shot. He was having people wiggling all over the place!

I also like how when you get set on fire it only sets aflame the body part that touched the it and Lincoln just walks through it like a badass.

Mr. Tibbs

Great post!

Mafia 3 looks like a game space that isn't wholly modal, avoiding making the experience either following a linear, scripted story or playing around in an unconnected open-world, instead offering nice balance between the two. Neat that they're still offering simulation-based driving.

The narrative sounds really strong this time around, especially since the story will change based on how you handle your lieutenants, even letting you go so far to kill them off.

Terrible framerate, tiny map, yeesh.

The framerate i could understand? but the map size? lol Mafia 2 wished it had this size of a map.

img7707_01.jpg

The framerate i could understand? but the map size? lol Mafia 2 wished it had this size of a map.

img7707_01.jpg

I just watched the 20 minute video from the PS4 Access, they went from one part to another of the map in minutes. I don't mind a smaller map if the density is good, but I'm not seeing that here.

Sold me on the game. Driving controls are on point. Man this and WatchDogs2 I am in open world heaven. My favorite type of action game.

Mr. Tibbs

I just watched the 20 minute video from the PS4 Access, they went from one part to another of the map in minutes. I don't mind a smaller map if the density is good, but I'm not seeing that here.

Going coast to coast in GTA V only takes minutes, too. There's tons of variety in New Bordeaux, including a canal system that runs under the entire city, and an absolutely massive bayou to explore.

Going coast to coast in GTA V only takes minutes, too. There's tons of variety in New Bordeaux, including a canal system that runs under the entire city, and an absolutely massive bayou to explore.
^^^^

Seriously? that's you're complaint.

Man this guy is annoying

"Smash that like button if you're totally stoked bro's!"
His voice is annoying for sure.

dEvAnGeL

color palette is way to brown, i get they're trying to create the mood of that time period but jezz is like the game has no color at all

Stiler

Just started watching it and the driving really bums me out.

the car accelerates so fast it just looks awkward, like arcade racing with "catch up" mode enabled the way he goes from slow to fast, there's no sense of acceleration or build up to the car (at least the first car).

I really wish they'd tell us what the "simulation" option does exactly.

I loved Mafia I cause unlike GTA it made driving in of itself fun and exciting. When you needed to chase someone or wanted to get somewhere fast you knew that doing so would draw attention and you couldn't just barrel around all willy nilly. It made those moments when you did all the more exciting because you weren't just given a free ride to drive like a maniac with 0 consequences.

I hope the sim options makes cars control more sim like, puts back in traffic laws, etc.

The actual world design, on foot combat and other elements look great. I just wish it would have stuck with the more sim focused style driving.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
might just be me but the game has a weird blur going on. hope it looks better on the pro.

game seriously looks fun.

Let’s talk about how excited I am for this game.

First off, the driving. It looks heavy, and there’s a ton of momentum when picking up speed. The differences in speed between sports cars and simple vehicles is immediately apparent. Driving is huge for me in an open world game (I still think GTA IV’s driving is the best that’s ever been done), and if this can improve upon of Mafia II’s engine in the right ways, I’ll be over the moon. I wish the damage models definitely looked better, but the impact of crashes appears awesome.

The grass of Frisco Fields, the racism, the police responses – the difficulty of navigating through certain districts will allow for some amazing emergent gameplay regarding racism in richer, Whiter neighborhoods. Racism as a big theme doesn’t seem to be the least bit avoided – cops harassing you heavily in certain areas, tailing you, trespassing in white stores causing them to shut down- this blows my mind. It’s a nice touch that you can rob store fronts too, but with witnesses calling police, it’s apparent that utilizing skills like calling in wire taps or disabling phones will offer some great quiet crime sprees.

The sprint and combat takedowns are as brutal – the TPS shooting mechanics look heavy and responsive. Animations between, walking, moving into cover, sliding over cars – this looks like some of the best shooting mechanics in the open world genre. Mixing it with stealth encounters will allow you play how you want- quietly lockpicking to get to the back of slaughterhouse or going in guns blazing, there’s a ton of replay value. Stealth takedowns from cover are gloriously animated, the interrogations also look to provide some cool exploration opportunities. The combat looks frenzied and dynamic – I can’t wait to call in a hit squad and have all out wars in the streets of New Bordeaux. The Manhunt-esque takedowns pull no punches, knives directly to the face, curb-stomping brutality – there were no concessions.

The rain storms are so beautifully serene. Freely roaming, the neons really pop out beautifully in the French Ward. Hiring, choosing lieutenants to run the districts with mob boss retaliations will allow for some awesome emergent street war. With mobile weapons dealers that allow for specific upgrades on each gun based on perks you’ve received from your lieutenants, everyone can play it how they want. There are even confirmed safehouses in districts to deposit earnings, which makes the risk and reward of wreaking havoc necessary – you’ve got to deposit your money before you lose it in death.

The structure and density of each district of the map also will probably provide a good cadence in balancing gameplay side activities and major missions. Getting mob bosses out of hiding through assassinations, interrogations, target tailing, property destruction, all the while depleting the economy to lure out the boss seems like a great city takeover mechanic. The theme of rackets dominating different pieces of each district also feels like a necessary way to split up the map. I just hope that each location and chance encounter is unique for each district, and that there are many approaches that give you the freedom to take it over as you please. This also means that the major mob boss story missions probably provide the deeper, more cinematic missions (Uncle Lou gameplay demo), and I hope each of these are like the best moments of Mafia I & II.

Character nuance in the story is so necessary, and the structure of how the story is being presented gives me hope. A lot of the commentary on these new gameplay videos suggest that the villains are evil, but written with enough sincerity that they feel likable. The facial animations are also pretty astounding, and that’ll be necessary to deliver the story in convincing fashion.

I haven’t even touched on the atmosphere – which is what I’m most excited about. The night rain storms, the gorgeous orange sunset glow, the alligators lurking in the swamp, everything. The Smith Thunderbolt being back, be still my beating heart.

I think it’s time for an avatar change, this time for good. I want this game to everything, and I think they’ve really structured it in a way that allows for enough density in the open world to make sense in the narrative. I just hope that the story is well written, and that their use of the turbulent '60s and Civil Rights era isn’t dealt with superficially – but I have high hopes!

LOOKING FOR REVENGE.

I'm excited for this too. I like you.

Karak

I just sat down for a 2 hour interview with Jesse Harlin the composer for this. Man some of the stuff going on here is just insanely interesting.

vypek

I've become very interested in this game over the past few weeks. Looks like I might be picking this up

Pachimari

You can choose simulation driving mode, and they showed it off on IGN, and it still looks very arcady.

First off, the driving. It looks heavy, and there’s a ton of momentum when picking up speed. The differences in speed between sports cars and simple vehicles is immediately apparent.

I don't follow this at all. I do not understand...

This won't happen. There's no traffic rules at all anymore, and no ticketing either, or bribing.

You can choose simulation driving mode, and they showed it off on IGN, and it still looks very arcady.

I don't follow this at all. I do not understand...

This won't happen. There's no traffic rules at all anymore, and no ticketing either, or bribing.

Everyone I heard talk about the driving said the cars felt heavy and took challenge to maneuver. They definitely can't just whip around corners all will nilly cause I saw one channel slide into a crash GTA IV style while trying to powerslide around a corner. When the driving camera follows the car even when it is just making small movements it can give the impression that driving is arcady.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Watch Dogs 2 just looks like more of the same to me.

Don't believe Ubisofts lies!
Nothing about what Ubisoft has shown of WD2 has been a lie. 100% all they've shown is the alpha of the final game. This isn't r/gaming or youtube.

Top Bottom