• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Top Gear Series 9 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gav

Another great episode.
The art gallery bit was hilarious!
Think i gotta agree with before though. The best bit was Clarksons rant about 50mph middle lane drivers all being child molestors, as thats where they wont be found!

Timbuktu

are Gav and Wes talking about the same episode? because I'm pretty sure I didn't see a Veyron tonight. It's a good episode, but I wasn't that interested in the coupes and the Hugh Grant plug-in was a bit meh...

Gav

Timbuktu said:
are Gav and Wes talking about the same episode? because I'm pretty sure I didn't see a Veyron tonight. It's a good episode, but I wasn't that interested in the coupes and the Hugh Grant plug-in was a bit meh...

Did you catch the beginning?
Captain slow in the Veyron was the first part of the episode.

Timbuktu

Gav said:
Did you catch the beginning?
Captain slow in the Veyron was the first part of the episode.

oh noo... I was in the shower dammit. Have to catch a rerun on BBC Three or something. The Bugatti Veyron was really too fast for me. :)

B'z-chan

Banned
What episode is that Caravan clip from? I missed a few episodes of series 8. But i love the show. Gonna watch it tonight as well.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Some rich **** better lend them a Veyron. That thing is going to look insane going around the track.

thatbox

Banned
Would you lend them yours? You saw what happened to those poor coupes, even in the hands of The Stig. Airtime!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
thatbox said:
Would you lend them yours? You saw what happened to those poor coupes, even in the hands of The Stig. Airtime!

pfffffffffft. Roger Waters lent them his Enzo. Someone will give up their Veyron for science :D

hadareud

The Translator
this episode was incredible, one of the best ever.

I was laughing from beginning to end.

Man-love rules ok :lol

Gav

Well, holy crap. That was an episode and a half.

Miami to New Orleans in $1000 cars.
I cant remember laughing like that at TV before, and some of it was a bit scary - ie the petrol station! (I was actually on the edge of my seat when the camera crew were running, and the phone camera video was on with them rubbing the paint off)

Fat Stig Driving their cars, Driving into crocodiles, an in car shower and BBQ, eating roadkill - a squirrel and a cow, a joke every 5 seconds about murder or cheese, sabotaging Air Con.
It was epic.

Some of the quotes had me in stitches "Ill just hold this stone in my hand. I will measure the lap time by how much the wind erodes it"

I could go on about it all night. But, personally i thought that was one of the best things i have seen on TV in a long time - normal Top Gear style or not.

Good on them for trying to give their cars away at the end aswell.

Ash_69

As i said in the other topic, this show was great. Keeping it fresh. They gave their loyal american following the finger. Jeremy didnt stop with the USA bashing.:lol

123rl

What a great episode:lol One of the funniest ones I've ever seen. It doesn't matter if it's scripted or not, and it never did IMO, because that was damn good entertainment

That was probably the greatest episode of Top Gear, and one of the best things ever shown on TV.

Unfair bashing of the USA? Like hell.

Ash_69

That was probably the greatest episode of Top Gear, and one of the best things ever shown on TV.

Agreed, probably the best show on tv. They keep churning out these brilliant episodes. You gotta love these long features they do, just like the one in the Veyron. Fat stig lol, you knew it was coming.:lol

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm getting interested about this show. From with season should I start with?

Archer

4idxvo0.jpg

If any of you caught the episode in the last series where the lads went caravanning, I think you'll agree that, bar a few hiccups, it all went rather well. In fact, even as we watched the firemen put the last of the flames out, there was a general agreement that Jeremy, Richard and James should try this holiday lark again, and so, this week, you'll be able to see their American Fly-Drive special.

The trip began in Miami, Florida, but instead of renting some dull saloon with white paint and velour trim from Avis, the three of them were each given $1,000 and a morning to see if they could buy an interesting car - a car with a few character lines around its grille, and a few stories to tell - for the same money you'd spend on a fortnight's rental.

As it turned out, the buying alone was worth a film, because $1,000 doesn't actually get you much any more, which meant our expat trio spiralled further and further down the food-chain of Miami's car culture, until they ended up in a part of the city where the car dealers were outnumbered by the crack dealers.

Clarkson's salesman, for example, broke out his handgun and telescopic-sighted rifle much more often than he did his Glass's Guide. Eventually though, cars were bought.

Jeremy, typically, overstretched himself and bought a five-litre Chevy Camaro, the murderer's muscle car of choice. In fact, it even had the shirt of the last hitchhiker victim stuffed in the boot.

James, true to form, returned with a 15-year-old shagged Cadillac that had its suspension tuned by a trampoline maker, and Hammond, always a big fan of Brokeback Mountain, arrived in a battered old Dodge pick-up truck.

With the buying done, the adventure really began. The TG holiday cars had to be tested, so they headed north on an 800-mile road trip that aimed to take them up through Florida, across Alabama and Mississippi to the finish point of New Orleans. That's a tough trip for bargain basement cars that even the lowest low life in Miami wouldn't be seen in.

But to make life even harder, there were naturally some Top Gear challenges along the way. So tune in to see what happens when the boys run into the Stig's hillbilly cousin and find out what they cook up when they have to live off roadkill. If that little lot doesn't kill them, will the Alabama Inflammatory Statement Down The Side Of the Car Challenge finish the job?

Find out at 8pm Sunday on BBC Two. Miss that and you've got two more chances: Wednesday 14, 7pm on BBC Two and Saturday 17, 7pm on BBC Three. No excuses, then.

B'z-chan

Banned
The next episode looks to be epic as well. They are gonna try and launch a car into space. :lol :lol :lol

I totaly forgot about fat Stig from the episode tonight omg thats so funny. It was so funny i'm gonna watch it again.

Lakitu

st5fu
That was the best Top Gear episode I've ever seen :lol I missed it on Sunday but I managed to catch it too, but OMG so many great moments, pure brilliance :lol

scarybore

I'm watching the repeat right now and it's truly one of the funniest things I have ever seen on TV. Can't wait for sundays episode.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That episode was pretty funny, the rocket car worked better than I thought it would.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
My jaw was on the floor when the rocket took off correctly.

Then I couldn't stifle my laughter as it turned and headed straight for the earth
:lol

After watching countless short movies from WWII, where the Germans were testing their V2 rockets (and failing almost instantly) I couldn't believe that a bunch of blokes in a shed managed to launch the Top Gear shuttle so perfectly. I was stunned, I really expected it to veer off and crash almost instantly. I guess technology and computer simulation certainly helped. And the explosion at the end... wow. I wish I could make a gif of the launch :lol

I'm d/l this weeks as we speak but last weeks was ****ing spectacular.
As a Camaro owner this moment:
tg31pa1.gif

will never be forgotten.

In case anyone is interested...

Some technical specs about the rocket (from another forum).

_________
Propulsion:
_________

Total impulse well over 200,000 Ns (somewhere in R impulse).
The main propulsion was in 2 stages:
Stage 1: x4 O class hybrid motors + several CTI composites (to offset thrust
asymetry)
Stage 2: Post SRB jettison air start a cluster of x2 O class hybrid motors.
(Active separation utilised x2 pairs of composite motors in the nose of each
SRB)

Lift off mass: over 1400kg.
Robin mass: circa 250 kg. (of which 40 kg was ballast to provide correct
CG/CP relationship when( although it didn't) the orbiter separated for a
glide to earth.
SRBs: 102 kg each.
External tank: 951 kg (of which around 1/4 tonne was nose weight including
main Ex tank parachute which was 50 kg)
As you can imagine the flight dynamics CG, CP changed with the jettison of
the SRBs so positioning of the 2nd cluster of O motors was important (also
to generate a pitch down moment to assist in orbiter separation)

1. Launch.
2. SRB separation and recovery.
3. second stage boost.
4. Orbiter separation and powered glide to earth.
5. Ex tank recovery under a very large cargo parachute (that weighed 50 kg
on its own!).

Items 4 and 5 did not happen. (we had a technical issues with this that we
were all aware of prior to launch, but the show had to go on and decisions
were made, the criteria for a succesful telly programme are, remember,
different from what a conventional rocket launch might be.)

________
Altitude
________

The programme advertised a peak altitude if 3000ft.

A whole world of real pain.
As you can imagine, the variables involved were all coupled.
Thrust asymetry and aerodynamic asymetry were real and significant factors.
All were, however measured and quantified.

To place this into context, the simulation package we developed was
replicated exaclty in the actual flight.

Under boost the vehicle was passively stable.
The vehicle utilised elevons on the orbiter (reliant robin) for glide
recovery.

> etc. Did anything useable survive?

The SRBs recovered intact under x2 large x-form parachutes.
The O motors were recovered plus various bits of hardware.
The Robin (orbiter and Ex tank were mangled and below surface level)

pj

Banned
Wow that looked great taking off. It's amazing how quickly they were able to whip up something like that and have it almost work

Lakitu

st5fu
Who watched last nights episode? That was so hilarious :lol Converting cars into stretch limos, Jeremy Clarkson's "panda" :lol :lol

hadareud

The Translator
yeah, it was a great episode again, this was the best top gear season yet.

I can't believe the season is already over again, wtf? It was only 4 or 5 episodes.

8bit

Knows the Score
A heads up to anyone that might be interested, there was a special on about an hour ago. It was a race to the North Pole with Hammond on Dogs vs. Clarkson in a Toyota.

Was awesome. I love the specials, and I'll have to find some way of watching the HD version. Looked fantastic in SD, probably looked aaamazing for hi-def.

Gav

Yup, cant wait. Lightweight supercars this week.

Top Gear Magazine are putting up a preview each day of the week.

Veyron vs Jet Fighter

Aston Roadster vs Jet Man

Wet Wet Wet

Britcar 24hr race with their biofuel

Jeremy and the 641bhp Golf

Theres laods more info about what theyre doing this series floating about.

One episode has them all trying to get from Kew to London City Airport. Jeremy by Speedboat, James by car, Hammond by bike, and the Stig on the bus :D

10 week series, going to be awesome.

Ash_69

I'm crapping myself with anticipation, and I dont really get hyped for anything like this.

Aston Roadster vs Jet Man looks ridiculously awesome but how is that any safer then Hammond in that Jet car? If he's gonna challenge the Aston, he'l need to be travelling at a possible 150mph, and could you imagine bailing from that speed. :O

Who do you guys put your money on in the Veyron-Jet fighter race. I'm going for the Veyron purely because the plane has to climb in order to turn and that's where it'l lose time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom