• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Music - Twenty Years of Auditory Excellence (Appreciation Thread)

jenov4

Woah, what an amazing thread. Dr. Wily Stage is simply the best chiptune in existence. I have that setup as a ringtone and people instantly recognize it.

Enk

makes good threads.
Crushed said:
Why does nobody like Metal Man's music? :'(

Because it's widely known as being so awesome that it didn't need to be listed. It's much like how MM1's Wily Stage wasn't listed as well.

Teknoman

Oh and needs more Search Man. Also i've gotta find that one rock cover of Flash Man's stage. That was super nostalgia.

Teknoman said:
Hey where's Megaman Battle Network Transmission in all this? That game actually had some nice stage music: Fire Man, Needle Man, Bright Man, Elec Man, Zero's area, The boss themes, and the Internet area were pretty catchy.

Also needs more Wood Man and Shadow Man. But yeah, Snake Man was really nice.
Yeah some of the Network Transmission tunes were pretty good. I personally liked these ones:

FireMan Stage
NeedleMan Stage
BrightMan Stage
QuickMan Stage
ElecMan Stage
Zero Stage
Firewall Battle

Also, this is a great thread and I made this post while listening to KOF 98 tracks :D

dark steve said:
I'm curious, Pureauthor - what's your relation to the site you're linking to?

I suppose the correct relationship would be 'parasite', since I go in and take what they have to offer without giving anything (other than page hits) back in return.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I'll be fixing a few things up and adding a bit more stuff later, so keep an eye out.

NolbertoS

Great thread, makes me want to replay all the Mega Man's it's been a year since I finished the Mega Man and Megaman X Anniversary collections. I'll replay them all again me thinks :D

The Hermit

Triple A thread! :D

Although MM2 and 3 musics are killers, Dr. Cossack 2 is one of my all time favorites game musics...

Too bad MM is not in Smash :( I wanted he in mainly for the musics...

EDIT: I also have to admit that I start playing all NES MM games only for the SO... and end up loving them. Too bad I´m hating ZX series, because Advent sounded awesome...

tnw said:
oh yeah, one of my favorite mega man tunes.

Man, the NES Mega Man music totally reminds me of being a kid in the 80's. Yeay! :D
Really? Blizzard Buffalo is my all time most hated Rockman music. In fact I felt all of X's music was weak save Gravity Beetle stage. Only one which I thought was good in both the SNES version and the Sega Saturn rendition.

Great thread!! I sort of think MM6's soundtrack is a little better than most give it credit for being. I looove Tomahawk Man's stage music.

Edit: After listening to some of MM6's music again after all these years it really wasn't as good as I remember it being(I guess I tend to like it more since it was my first Megaman game).

But damn!! I can't stop listening to that Elecman song off of MMBNT. :D

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
VeritasVierge said:
Really? Blizzard Buffalo is my all time most hated Rockman music. In fact I felt all of X's music was weak save Gravity Beetle stage. Only one which I thought was good in both the SNES version and the Sega Saturn rendition.

I also thought Mega Man X3 had an overall weak soundtrack, but even so, I enjoyed the music in Blast Hornet, Crush Crawfish, Tunnel Rhino, Volt Catfish, Toxic Seahorse, and Gravity Beetle's stages.

Okay, maybe X3 isn't that weak.

Kletian

MM3 > MM2 > everything else.

The main theme, The Stage Select theme, The password Screen, Magnet Man, Shadow Man, Needle Man, Gemini Man and the introduction of Protoman's theme make this the best track in the series history IMHO.

The only X tune that still strikes a chord with me is Magna Centipede's stage from MMX2

Umm just wondering, how is this not against the TOS?

I'm... well, I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to. Perhaps you could elaborate on specifically which section it violates?

Anyway, I've taken some suggestions and added some stuff. Hope what's here is to your liking.

Changelog:

Mega Man Classic

-Added Fire Man and Bomb Man to the MM1 list
-Added Metal Man and Wood Man to the MM2 list
-Added Shadow Man to the MM3 list
-Added Pharoah Man and Dive Man to the MM4 list
-Added Yamato Man and Mr. X Stage to the MM6 list
- Added a Mega Man and Bass section (replicated further down) with Cold Man, Pirate Man, Burner Man, Magic Man, and King's Fortress Stage
-Added a Mega Man V section (replicated further down) with Venus, Mars, Saturn, and Pluto

Mega Man X

-General typo fixing
-Added Stage Start and Spike Rosered to the MMX5 section
-Added Blizzard Wolfang to the MMX6 section
-Added a Mega Man X Command Mission section (replicated further down) with Standby, Zero, Me, Axel, Massimo of Steel, Pleasant Thief Marino, Energy of the Unknown, Event Battle, Deteriorated Stronghold, and Certain Victory! Ninetails

Mega Man Zero

-Added comment about OSTs of MMZ1-3 being available

Mega Man Battle Network

-Added a Mega Man Network Transmission section (replicated further down) with Game Center - Colorman Stage, Power Plant - ElecMan Stage, Old Generation Area - Swordman Stage, Zero Gravity Area - Starman Stage, and Legendary WWW Area - Pharoahman Stage

New sections:

Mega Man and Bass:

The game was designed for Bass, frankly. And, of course, it had perhaps the most insane single fortress level in a Mega Man game. 5 bosses in a single stage. Yow. I'm fond of Cold Man, Pirate Man, Burner Man, Magic Man, and King's Fortress Stage.

Cold Man
Pirate Man
Burner Man
Magic Man
King's Fortress Level

Mega Man V:

This little handheld game was unique in several ways. It's the only GB game to use all new bosses (Stardroids, they were called), the only game where Mega Man replaces his Mega Buster with a Mega Arm, and the only Classic series game where Wily is not the Final Boss. Whoa. Serves up a few great tunes here too.

Venus
Mars
Saturn
Pluto

Mega Man X Command Mission:

A... Mega Man X RPG? Wha-? Well, it was okay for a first outing - I far prefer the MMBN series. If you want my opinion, they'd best serve the series by doing a more Valkyrie Profile style of game. Well, they gave us some strong tunes to listen to, at the least.

Standby, Zero
Me, Axel
Massimo of Steel
Pleasant Thief Marino
Energy of the Unknown
Event Battle
Deteriorated Stronghold
Certain Victory! Ninetails

Mega Man Network Transmission:

Enh. The game wasn't too good. A shame, since there's some really great music here.

Game Center - Colorman Stage
Power Plant - Elecman Stage
Old Generation Area - Swordman Stage
Zero Gravity Area - Starman stage
Legendary WWW Area - Pharoahman Stage

Who knows? I might add in Mega Man Star Force one day - if I ever get around to playing them first!

Iam Canadian said:
I also thought Mega Man X3 had an overall weak soundtrack, but even so, I enjoyed the music in Blast Hornet, Crush Crawfish, Tunnel Rhino, Volt Catfish, Toxic Seahorse, and Gravity Beetle's stages.

Okay, maybe X3 isn't that weak.
Every time I hear Blast Hornet's stage music I wanna shout "Go Go Power Rangers!!"

I still think X3 had a weak OST though. X2 and X4 were my 2 favorite OSTs in the series. Bubble Crab, Morph Moth, Crystal Snail, Storm Owl (particularly this track), Web Spider, Magna Centipede, and a few Sigma stages were music I could listen to over and oevr again for hours.

Storm Owl alone has over 400 plays on my iTunes since I reinstalled it last eyar.

kiryogi

Banned
This is pretty fucking awesome, been listening to it for the last 3 weeks. Just finally picked it up last week.

51Du85iQbVL._SS500_.jpg

Arranged by GGX composer, Tohru Iwao.

There's also a Techno arrange album, but the great music is kinda marred by annoying vocals popping up during some of the songs.

Pureauthor said:
I'm... well, I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to. Perhaps you could elaborate on specifically which section it violates?

Don't get me wrong, you're fucking awesome for doing this
but aren't you just posting licensed OST's for everybody to download?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Powerslave said:
Umm just wondering, how is this not against the TOS?

I'm pretty sure Capcom isn't going to care.

And these are Japanese releases, so the RIAA isn't involved whatsoever.

I think the copyright is different when it comes to sharing these Japanese-released OSTs in America.

#gamemp3s
puts out album releases and has done so for years, putting torrents up for new releases.

http://www.gamemp3s.net/tracker/browse.php?cat=1

Their 2008/1/1 torrent file has Rockman 1~6 20th Anniversary Techno Arrange Ver. and their 2007/12/17 is Rockman 1~6 20th Anniversary Rock Arrange Ver.

Both are kickass, so you should grab them.

(And if this is against the TOS somehow, can a mod come tell us and we'll edit posts and stop posting this stuff.)

Link1110

I noticed some semi-subliminal stuff in Megaman 8 the other night (not music related, but not worthy of a new thread.)

megaman_fuckyeah.png
evildoer_wily.png

Dr. Light's lab is the US, while Wily's Tower is in Iraq.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This thread wins the internet, Mega Man music = love.

Those OST covers are great, Capcom art ftmw. I didn't know ZX's was this neat.

Pureauthor said:
Mega Man X4:

I'm going to commit blasphemy here by saying I think X4's soundtrack is the overall best of the Mega Man X games. I like most, if not all, of the stage musics, and it has awesome battle themes as well.
Not blasphemy at all, it is that good. It's also my favorite from the X series, and I usually don't pick favorites.

Pureauthor said:
ZX ADVENT’S SOUNDTRACK IS COMPLETELY AWESOME
I liked ZX and was going to play ZXA eventually, but this single comment has just sped up the process.

Link1110 said:
I noticed some semi-subliminal stuff in Megaman 8 the other night (not music related, but not worthy of a new thread.)

megaman_fuckyeah.png
evildoer_wily.png

Dr. Light's lab is the US, while Wily's Tower is in Iraq.

That is mad interesting. Capcom with the social commentary!

And MM8 was in 1996 or 97... holy shit, Capcom predicts the future!!

BTW this belongs in the "mindblowing" Mindblow thread about the Super Mario Bros. 1 could/bush scandal.

-Rogue5-

I know it's been twenty years, but MegaMan 2 and 3 make up 99% of the series' musical awesomeness... Not a single track (including themes) on either of those games isn't amazing.

Teknoman

VenusandBacchus said:
does anyone have the Bubbleman music as an MP3 I want to make it my cell phone ring If anyone has it please let me know thanks

Umm just "save target as" the Bubble Man music from the initial post. It's in MP3 format.

KTallguy

Banned
Great thread.

I always found it kind of paradoxical that the biggest Megaman fanbase in Japan is 10 or younger, but in the US it reaches a much, much broader audience.

I grew up with Mega Man 2 and 3 though, they were excellent games.

lyre

VenusandBacchus said:
does anyone have the Bubbleman music as an MP3 I want to make it my cell phone ring If anyone has it please let me know thanks
Ripped this one myself from the sound dump. Enjoy.

KTallguy said:
Great thread.

I always found it kind of paradoxical that the biggest Megaman fanbase in Japan is 10 or younger, but in the US it reaches a much, much broader audience.

I grew up with Mega Man 2 and 3 though, they were excellent games.
Well to be honest, that is if you're referring to current fans of the franchise, the MM fans in japan probably started with the Rockman.exe games. Those were some of the best selling GBA games in its heyday.

Top Bottom